Print Page | Close Window

Why aren't The Flaming Lips on prog archives?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: General Music Discussions
Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131349
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 18:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why aren't The Flaming Lips on prog archives?
Posted By: scouser14
Subject: Why aren't The Flaming Lips on prog archives?
Date Posted: July 27 2023 at 20:37
With albums like Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (especially) and their 2020 album 'American Head' - not to mention an entire reworking of Dark Side Of The Moon, surely the band deserve the honour of being listed in prog archives? They're brilliantly creative and I would suggest many of their tracks are prog/psych - or at the very least prog related.

Thoughts? 

-------------
I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Replies:
Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: July 27 2023 at 20:38
Because they're not really prog? I dunno.

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Date Posted: July 27 2023 at 20:59
When I see bands such as Talking Heads, Muse, Radiohead, Be Bop Deluxe, Talk Talk etc. etc. listed, I think... surely the Flaming Lips deserve their spot? I'd argue that they're more 'prog related' than most of the aforementioned and about on a prog-par with Radiohead. 

-------------
I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 27 2023 at 21:18
If i remember right i think someone suggested a few years back but i'm not sure what happened to it. Obviously it didn't lead to them being included. Tags on RYM do include progressive pop on many of their newer albums. I agree that they definitely were out of the box thinkers but i think most consider them a form of chamber pop, dream pop and neo-psychedelia without enough prog elements or prog connections to warrant inclusion. That's just my take. I do like their albums since their early noise rock stage.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: July 27 2023 at 21:33
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If i remember right i think someone suggested a few years back but i'm not sure what happened to it. Obviously it didn't lead to them being included. Tags on RYM do include progressive pop on many of their newer albums. I agree that they definitely were out of the box thinkers but i think most consider them a form of chamber pop, dream pop and neo-psychedelia without enough prog elements or prog connections to warrant inclusion. That's just my take. I do like their albums since their early noise rock stage.

Pretty much, yeah.

They occupy a similar space to Melody's Echo Chamber, in which - yes - there's a lot of psych and neo-psych in the sound, but there's just often just as much of a pop and indie sensibility, as well as an alt-rock slant. Still, great band! Smile

Edit: granted, Melody's Echo Chamber doesn't do the noise rock stuff, but yeah LOL

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 27 2023 at 22:04
There are a lot of bands that are not on PA that could be and a lot that probably shouldn't be. It's often down to the whims of the admin team quite honestly and not an exact science. Growing up in the seventies ''Prog' was ELP, Yes and Genesis of the most popular bands but now it's just a whole bunch of stuff. Stick around and you can enjoy the endless discussions about what is prog and what isn't. It's often hilarious and not at all illuminating!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 28 2023 at 06:18
I guess it's up to the administrtors of this site to include them or not, as well as any other band. I'm not really familiar with their music, so I don't think I can have a complete, educated and honest opinion.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 28 2023 at 06:41
Looks like they were reviewed by Crossover and Psyche back in '09 & '10 and got moved to Related. I can't find any discussion of them there. I don't think there's any reason why we couldn't review them again.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: July 28 2023 at 07:31
The closely-related band Mercury Rev are listed here under Prog Related, so it seems only right and proper that The Flaming Lips should be included here too. The two bands even share some of the same members and they also have the same producer, so let's hope Yoshimi will soon be battling the pink robots on ProgArchives too. Smile

Date Posted: July 28 2023 at 08:23
^ true but the argument is that bands like Mercury Rev and similar acts SHOULDN'T BE HERE in the first place. With so many truly progressive rock bands in the world of yore and present, i tend to agree that these types of bands aren't prog related enough by modern standards.

-------------

Posted By: bardberic
Date Posted: July 28 2023 at 18:26
Quirky and unorthodox, sure, but I don't think prog is the correct way to describe them...

Although I'm not too familiar with their output, tbf.

Nevertheless if you feel like they should be here, by all means suggest them in the suggestion thread.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 29 2023 at 08:20
You can suggest them for inclusion via the Suggest New Bands section of the forum.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 29 2023 at 11:34
They are more like modern psych or alternative. I don't hear much prog in them.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 29 2023 at 11:50
Well......to me they certainly are as 'proggy' as many of the bands that are in Prog Related but as someone said above we already have some questionble entries... so maybe we should be dumping some instead of adding more?
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Gordy
Date Posted: July 29 2023 at 21:27
The Lips have been a prog-related band since their inception, and became eligible for Prog-Related by The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi.

2009's Embryonic showed them adopting krautrock elements like never before, and to me is their first full-fledged progressive rock album. Their full-length reinterpretations of Dark Side and Crimson King are fun and show their influences, but in terms of future evaluation one should take note of their material from 2009 and beyond, which includes two kraut/psych-on-steroids tracks which run six-and-24-hours respectively.

I was planning on submitting a fresh biography after I take care of, well, everything:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Gucn0d30QiZSrXrcNVjhk" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/album/4Gucn0d30QiZSrXrcNVjhk

Date Posted: July 29 2023 at 21:33
^ i would vote them down. Krautrock itself is often prog related. A lot of it isn't prog at all really. Prog related was never meant to be an all encompassing category. Artists have to have some relationship to the prog world as well as showing some prog characteristics. I've heard numerous albums by the Flamers and although i love a bunch of them, i wouldn't call them prog related really, just super psychedelic at times. All psychedelic rock isn't progressive. As for the comparisons that so many make about other bands on this site, i wouldn't mind seeing some of them deleted honestly. I think the bar for P.R. has been raised since many of those acts were included. Just my opinion. If they do get on the site it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 29 2023 at 23:13
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

The Lips have been a prog-related band since their inception, and became eligible for Prog-Related by The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi.

2009's Embryonic showed them adopting krautrock elements like never before, and to me is their first full-fledged progressive rock album.

I've never been the biggest fan really. I've heard various bits from most of their career and they've always been extremely hit or miss for me. Mostly miss actually. But that's got little to no relevance in this context. To my ears TFL got an undeniable progressive edge to the Psychedelic Rock they make on the three albums I've heard by them in full (which is in fact Yoshimi, The Soft Bulletin and Embryonic). My favorite song by them is actually their stunning take on - or interpretation of Grateful Dead's live epic Dark Star. My only complaint is that it should have lasted much longer:

Admittedly I only listened to about one out of the thirty hours of "kraut/psych-on-steroids tracks" (which I was previously completly unaware of). What I've heard so far was progressive on another level than I already knew by them + quite intriguing and really awesome. I listened the most to the six hour long track though. If their earlier discography isn't enough (which I think it is), this undoubtly qualifies them for inclusion imo. Not only for Prog Related, but for Psychedelic/Space Rock - their natural place on PA... Actually skratch the imo part: Having heard 1/6th of Strobo Trip alone (I'm currently at 1:14, as I've been actively listening while I'm writing. Still amazing) objectively qualifies them for PA.

-------------

Posted By: zeb1981
Date Posted: August 25 2023 at 06:25
they are prog
their side project electric wurms (steven and wayne)
even did a cover of "Heart of the Sunrise"

They covered the entire Court of the Crimson King, Dark Side of the Moon

and, c`mon isnt these albums more prog than 90% Inside Out/ K-Scope Bands:
Embryonic, The Terror, Zaireeka, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi, American Head, Oszy Mlody, Kings Mouth, Clouds Taste Metallic ect ect ect ?!?!?!?

Seems the Americans can deceide what is or what is not prog

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: August 25 2023 at 10:24
Always liked what I've heard of The Flaming Lips, but I've never associated them with prog rock. I'd catalog them under indie rock or pop rock, with some psychedelic influences. However, I may not know them good enough, so I'm on a learning curve. But the arguments that they are prog have to be better than this:
Originally posted by zeb1981 zeb1981 wrote:

they are prog

This is a statement that you let follow by information that they, or a side project, covered prog music, which - honestly - doesn't say anything about their own music.
Then you state they are more prog than their label stablemates, of which non is present here in the PA database. So, more prog than zero prog doesn't say much either.

I'd be happy to be convinced... For the moment, I'm not.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 25 2023 at 10:43
I supported The Flaming Lips for PA after Embryonic came out as I thought that album was appropriate for this site partially due to its Krautrock qualities and I had felt that albums like Zaireeka, The Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots would not be out of place. I don't know the later material. I would have thought the Psych category, but it has been along time since I listened to the band. I seriously would consider it for Prog Related as long as sufficient Prog connections (not just how it sounds) are spelled out, and that I feel like a reasonable case has been presented that ticks off the Prog related boxes re the subgenre description and https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73146&PID=3942761#3942761" rel="nofollow - CLICK A lot of people have disagreed with the Flaming Lips being in PA over the years and the lack of consensus is a big part of why it is not in. I am more wary when it comes to controversial additions and it is all the more reason for really compelling arguments with lots of details justifying the addition (would want such things in the bio). Compelling arguments do matter for Prog Related and Proto Prog as well as divisive as prog bands generally.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:34
If Talking Heads, Mercury Rev, Radiohead, The Beatles, Iron Maiden, Miles Davis, Black Sabbath and Oingo Boingo are on the site...
Then why not XTC and Flaming Lips?

Let's not split hairs. Let this be THE place for progressive rock.

I love Progarchives but this needs fixing...

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:55
^ those bands are prog related and Flaming Lips is not
In fact i'd love to get rid of prog related altogether
It dilutes from the true prog experience
Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo shouldn't be here at all
Beatles, Sabbath are proto-prog
I've found nothing about Flaming Lips to warrant their inclusion
Experimental indie pop doesn't make prog

-------------

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:59
One of the litmus tests for true "prog" is the presence of snobbery LOL

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 10:55
If the Flaming Lips http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#definition" rel="nofollow - meet this criteria then they they should be included or at least considered. People just saying they are prog means nothing.....proof is in the chocolate pudding.
I'm not sure I have ever heard one of their songs, just wayyyyy too much other music to listen to....Aren't they some kind of pop music band??

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 12:52
Oh gosh, NO! They are anything but just a 'pop band'! They are very experimental, and for me, one of the best bands of the last 25+ years (and I am a die-hard prog fan from Genesis, Crimson, Gong, Canterbury, to Twelfth Night, Pendragon, IQ, Riverside, Lifesigns etc etc).

Seeing as you've never listened to anything from them, may I suggest, 'When We Die, When We're High', 'Mother Please Don't Be Sad' (Floydish vibe) and 'Brother Eye' from their latest 'American Head' album. Also, 'All We Have Is Now' and 'Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia) from the 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots' album..... for starters... but then both albums are absolutely brilliant throughout :) 

(and like any great music, give 'em a few listens) 

If you do give them a shot, 'd be interested in your thoughts after listening to them.

cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 13:14
Originally posted by scouser14 scouser14 wrote:

Oh gosh, NO! They are anything but just a 'pop band'! They are very experimental, and for me, one of the best bands of the last 25+ years (and I am a die-hard prog fan from Genesis, Crimson, Gong, Canterbury, to Twelfth Night, Pendragon, IQ, Riverside, Lifesigns etc etc).

Seeing as you've never listened to anything from them, may I suggest, 'When We Die, When We're High', 'Mother Please Don't Be Sad' (Floydish vibe) and 'Brother Eye' from their latest 'American Head' album. Also, 'All We Have Is Now' and 'Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia) from the 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots' album..... for starters... but then both albums are absolutely brilliant throughout :) 

(and like any great music, give 'em a few listens) 

If you do give them a shot, 'd be interested in your thoughts after listening to them.

cheers.
I'm currently listening to the songs posted on page 1. Yea for sure a ton of CAN influence (btw CAN fooking rulez in my book!!). But what I'm hearing is just a lot of psych music, which in itself is not progressive to me, at least not enough to be listed here as a prog band.
I'm not part of any team that makes these decisions, just my opinion. I'm not a big fan of psych music, I love Pink Floyd, but really don't care for Piper and Saucer much at all for example.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: August 28 2023 at 14:54
They don't do much for me personally. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I just don't care much for their sound. However, that's not a reason for me to say they shouldn't be on here. Also, even though they might not be proper prog they should still be considered since there's a lot on here that isn't "proper prog" imo.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 03:17
I'm not a fan of the band by any stretch, but having listened to a lot of RIO, I fail to see why not to include them. There's a lot of RIO releases which IMHO are only considered prog because of the level of experimentation. TFL certainly are experimental, they're firmly rooted in Rock with a lot of electronic elements, psychedelic and space leanings as well. 

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 04:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You can suggest them for inclusion via the Suggest New Bands section of the forum.

This Thumbs Up

As they have released new music since their last evaluation, they can be looked into again. 
So instead of complaining why they are not on PA, write a biography, post listening links (to prove your point why they should be here), band photo, make sure you find a subgenre that suits them. 

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 11:18
Where exactly am I 'complaining'??? I was asking a genuine question, to which there might have been a rational answer I wasn't aware of. May I suggest you consider more measured responses to people simply asking a question?

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 11:53

Where exactly am I 'complaining'??? I was asking a genuine question, to which there might have been a rational answer I wasn't aware of. May I suggest you consider more measured responses to people simply asking a question?

Sorry, but your question sound more like a reproach than a "genuine" one. Confused
The rational answer is suggest the artist, see what happens. 

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:09
then may I suggest you give people not familiar with the site the benefit of the doubt and don't jump to conclusions? I didn't even know there was a process for suggesting new artists. Now I do.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:15

then may I suggest you give people not familiar with the site the benefit of the doubt and don't jump to conclusions? I didn't even know there was a process for suggesting new artists. Now I do.

OK. 
Navigate the site a bit and the forum, get used to it all. Smile

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:20

You joined 18 years ago and you're still not familiar with the site?

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 13:29
yes... is that too difficult a concept to grasp? I mainly read reviews and look at discographies, and as you will see (if you look), I've rarely EVER used the forums until this post. 

And I really didn't expect people to accuse me of complaining- or people to diss me for being a long term member and not having their level of site knowledge either! I expected it to be a site where fellow prog fans are cordial, helpful and don't judge people without any real reason to do so. 

So I asked a legitimate question and don't have adequate site knowledge.... does that really mean I should be subjected to flippant comments?

-------------

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 13:37
^ Ok. Now I understand. I didn't mean to offend you, sorry.

Greetings from Poland!

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 17:34
Flaming Lips refers to some of the posts here LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 17:59

LOLLOLClap

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 29 2023 at 18:14

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 30 2023 at 03:35

^ those bands are prog related and Flaming Lips is not

In fact i'd love to get rid of prog related altogether
It dilutes from the true prog experience
Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo shouldn't be here at all
Beatles, Sabbath are proto-prog
I've found nothing about Flaming Lips to warrant their inclusion
Experimental indie pop doesn't make prog

Oingo should not be here, that's for sure. However, there area few  other bands who don't belong before I'd go excluding Talking Heads, though.Geek

Indeed, I've revisited their more iconic 90/00's albums like Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi, Transmissions, Clouds taste and found nothing to warrant a PA inclusion, even as Related. However, their latest American Head seems drenched in mellotron, though, as if they've just discovered it. 

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Dapper~Blueberries
Date Posted: August 30 2023 at 07:28
Flaming Lips are amazing but they def not prog. Maybe prog pop in some cases.

-------------
D~B

Posted By: zeb1981
Date Posted: September 11 2023 at 15:11
They are psych,prog,pop,rock,avant-garde.....just listen, listen, listen to their music, specially the stuff done 2007-2020, prog asf to me, more prog than any american "prog" band except Kansas and Happy The Man......

I find it amusing, people in here call them POP, well, dont lie, you have only heard "Do you Realize" or another song by them over-played. Thats like saying ELP isnt PROG at all based on ANY Greg Lake ballad.....
DO yer research before posting comments !

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 19:25
Originally posted by zeb1981 zeb1981 wrote:

They are psych,prog,pop,rock,avant-garde.....just listen, listen, listen to their music, specially the stuff done 2007-2020, prog asf to me, more prog than any american "prog" band except Kansas and Happy The Man......

I find it amusing, people in here call them POP, well, dont lie, you have only heard "Do you Realize" or another song by them over-played. Thats like saying ELP isnt PROG at all based on ANY Greg Lake ballad.....
DO yer research before posting comments !

I second this. Tongue

I'm pleased to report that Lips side-project https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12610" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 19:31
^ I voted yes for The Flaming Lips in Prog Related last November, and am glad to see Electric Würms in, which bolsters the case. I hope it goes well, and I can probably help (was thinking I might end up adding it before).

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 20:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I voted yes for The Flaming Lips in Prog Related last November, and am glad to see Electric Würms in, which bolsters the case. I hope it goes well, and I can probably help (was thinking I might end up adding it before).

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear, and I'd love to collaborate with you and your enthusiastic expertise.

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 21:02

GREAT to see so many people who have actually listened to the band agree they are one of the most important prog/psych/avant garde band of the last 20+ years. They have AT LEAST 5-6 albums that easily qualify for several sub-genres on prog archives. It's a big miss to not have them listed. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 21:19
The only place i could possible see them is CROSSOVER

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83f86c202d961698',t:'MTcwNDI1NTM0NC43NTYwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">
(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83f871a41fc3156a',t:'MTcwNDI1NTU3MC42ODgwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 22:12
@Mike: I've considered that, too, but some of their biggest and most outre releases have been those we'd classify as "EP/Fan Club", which feature 6- and 24-hour-long songs respectively that out-psych- and out-krautrock leagues of artists in those established subgenres.

Whether or not those titanic releases render the Lips eligible for an actual subgenre outside of Related might be a prime matter for discussion.

I don't mind if it's Xover, Psych or Related: their place is here, and as Victor Hugo said, we can't stop an idea whose time has come.

Date Posted: January 02 2024 at 22:17
^ experimental doesn't mean progressive

the overwhelming vast majority of their output would be considered progressive pop as far as this site is concerned

either crossover or prog related would be fine

they just aren't kraut enough for me (one EP isn't enough me thinks)

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83f8c5b928cb7aac',t:'MTcwNDI1OTAxNC42NjQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 00:35
^ It's not one EP, but 30 hours of music! I've listened to the Strobo Trip EP's 6 Hour Song / I Found a Star on the Ground in full (but not the full 24 hour long). Have you? That's about eight-nine albums (in length) material in one (out of the two) release, and my favorite six hours of music I've heard by the band. 360 minutes of fully fledged, brainmelting Psych/Spacerock (which we label Krautrock if it's from Germany) which alone more than qualifies. Your personal take on a lot of Krautrock (and other genres) as not prog or whatever - is too subjective or just non-representative and shouldn't be taken into consideration imo.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 06:12
Embryonic and The Terror are pure prog to me. The rest is power pop.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 07:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Embryonic and The Terror are pure prog to me. The rest is power pop.

People write the strangest things here. What on earth does the rest of The Flaming Lips discography have in common with Cheap Trick, Big Star and The Rasberries?

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 08:38
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^ It's not one EP, but 30 hours of music! I've listened to the Strobo Trip EP's 6 Hour Song / I Found a Star on the Ground in full (but not the full 24 hour long). Have you? That's about eight-nine albums (in length) material in one (out of the two) release, and my favorite six hours of music I've heard by the band. 360 minutes of fully fledged, brainmelting Psych/Spacerock (which we label Krautrock if it's from Germany) which alone more than qualifies. Your personal take on a lot of Krautrock (and other genres) as not prog or whatever - is too subjective or just non-representative and shouldn't be taken into consideration imo.

Since i vote on the PSIKE team my opinion matters here. Sorry i'm not listening to a 24 hour long EP. I still haven't even heard their album Zareeka because i've never owned 4 CD players at once! I do own and have heard every single studio full-length album and i'm quite familiar with the Flaming Lips so i speak from years of experience not just a casual listen to an album or two. Let me repeat, I OWN EVERY FRIGGIN ALBUM (not EPs though.) Keep in mind some of our genres aren't meant to be all comprehensive. Here's a thought for you - NOT ALL KRAUTROCK IS PROGRESSIVE. We reject Kraut bands all the time if they aren't progressive Krautrock. If they end up on the PSIKE team i'll vote to move to Crossover. Simple as that. Like it or not.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83fc4e718d3896a8',t:'MTcwNDI5NjA3Mi4wMjIwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 08:47

I'd vote for The Flaming Lips under Prog Related too, on the grounds that the closely-related band Mercury Rev are already here under Prog Related - not that my vote counts for anything here. Tongue

Do You Realize The Flaming Lips have been suggested for inclusion here more than any other band? Wink

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 08:58

Since i vote on the PSIKE team my opinion matters here. Sorry i'm not listening to a 24 hour long EP.
I know. And sometimes I think it's unfortunate. 

-I asked if you had listened to the 6 hour long track. You can listen to as little as you like, but you're not entitled to an opinion to what you haven't listened to.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 09:20

Since i vote on the PSIKE team my opinion matters here. Sorry i'm not listening to a 24 hour long EP.
I know. And sometimes I think it's unfortunate. 

-I asked if you had listened to the 6 hour long track. You can listen to as little as you like, but you're not entitled to an opinion to what you haven't listened to.

Nope and i won't be. But i'm certainly aware of it.

According to RYM with a current number of 480 ratings by users STROBO TRIP's primary tags are neo-psychedelia, experimental rock, experimental, post-rock

Secondary tags are krautrock, ambient, noise rock, jam band, spoken word, noise, drone, post-rock, electronic, space rock revival, psychedelic rock

Out of all that NOTHING sounds progressive to me. I don't even find all post-rock progressive and personally never would've ever added it to a progressive rock website but that's another matter.

So just from a quick inference of the users who usually get it right when it reaches a few hundred votes on RYM, this one small example may technically qualify for inclusion but considering krautrock is only a secondary consideration at best, it's not enough for me.

Let me say this one more time, certain categories on PA are not meant to be all inclusive. This includes Jazz-fusion and many styles on PSIKE. Considering this sole EP is very much an anomaly in the Lips' greater canon, it's not enough IMHO to qualify them for anything.

I stick to my stance that crossover at best as prog but prog related would be great too.

After all Judas Priest had one prog album but it wasn't quite prog enough to include a rather straight forward heavy metal band. This is why we have teams to determine these borderline cases.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83fcba369abe26ae',t:'MTcwNDMwMDQ4Ni4zNDEwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 09:50
^ I only discuss a band at a time and never claimed that any genre or category should be «all inclusive». That would be weird. Just as weird as some of the takes you have on Krautrock, Postrock and some of the bands that are already represented here - in those sub genres.

-There's similar genre-labeling on RYM in regards in regards to many bands/artists that are also on PA - and which I think have a natural place here. There was no need to copy and paste those tags, as I've already seen them. As long as you don't listen I'm not interested in your uninformed opinion. Obviously.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 10:04

^ I only discuss a band at a time and never claimed that any genre or category should be «all inclusive». That would be weird. Just as weird as some of the takes you have on Krautrock, Postrock and some of the bands that are already represented here - in those sub genres.

Why is it all about YOU? I'm simply citing the site's policy in determining evaluation on these genres. If post-rock wants to evaluate a six hour EP then let them go for it. I'm a volunteer on four teams and i'm NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO A SIX HOUR EP FOR AN EVULUATION!!!!

-There's similar genre-labeling on RYM in regards in regards to many bands/artists that are also on PA - and which I think have a natural place here. There was no need to copy and paste those tags, as I've already seen them. 

Once again, why do you think i posted those for YOU? I posted them so everyone else on who is reading this can have another perspective. Believe it or not, everyone is not aware of RYM. Believe it or not others are reading this and i'm explaining it for them.

As long as you don't listen I'm not interested in your uninformed opinion. Obviously.

You have the propensity of equating NOT AGREEING with NOT LISTENING. I heard you loud and clear and i disagree with you.

And for the record I AM NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR COMMENTARY, OPINIONS OR ANYTHING REALLY.

So if you're not interested in my opinion then stop responding to my comments and you won't have to read them otherwise keep posting and i'll keep responding. 

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83fcc83bbabc7af2',t:'MTcwNDMwMTA2MC41NjQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 10:40
I may be missing context, but the quoting plus code appears a little muddled, but just a point, while what is deemed Krautrock from Germany may not be considered Prog, when its listed as an element in terms of style/genre and/or influence for (thinking particularly about ones not in Germany), I don't know of cases where that does not refer to the kinds of music we consider Krautrock at PA. Bands like Can, Neu!, Harmonia, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Faust....

As for an album with the primary tags of neo-psychedelia, experimental rock, experimental, post-rock and secondary tags being krautrock, ambient, noise rock, jam band, spoken word, noise, drone, post-rock, electronic, space rock revival, psychedelic rock, not only does that scream that I should listen to the album based on my interests, but that it might well be considerable for Prog Archives addition.

We have two yes votes for the Flaming Lips in Prog Related now, by the way.

Reactions to The Flaming Lips have been kind of weird and I think quite ignorant since I have seen at the time of Embryonic being released that The Flaming Lips has "nothing" to do with Prog. Nothing? Really? No relations whatsoever?

PS Mercury Rev is cool.

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 10:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Do You Realize The Flaming Lips have been suggested for inclusion here more than any other band? Wink

Interesting, I would think someone like Funkadelic would be suggested more..

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 11:21

Why is it all about YOU?
I don't think anything is about me, except my own opinions. 

Believe it or not, everyone is not aware of RYM.
You brought RYM into this discussion. I didn't

I heard you loud and clear and i disagree with you.
But you can't disagree if you don't know what you are discussing. You're opinion is invalid.

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 13:08

It's all getting a bit unnecessarily heated so I have an idea. How about they just get added to the database :) There is clearly A LOT of support for them being here. Crossover, related or whatever label is most appropriate. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 16:41

I may be missing context, but the quoting plus code appears a little muddled, but just a point, while what is deemed Krautrock from Germany may not be considered Prog, when its listed as an element in terms of style/genre and/or influence for (thinking particularly about ones not in Germany), I don't know of cases where that does not refer to the kinds of music we consider Krautrock at PA. Bands like Can, Neu!, Harmonia, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Faust....

Non-German bands that often get the Kraut label (either partially or primarily) but aren't progressive include Portishead, Stereolab, The Oscillation, The Dwarfs of East Agouza, Gnod, Föllakzoid, Nisennenmondai, Gnoomes, Eternal Tapestry, Soccer96, Cave, 10 000 Russos, Death In Vegas, Lüger, 退格 Backspace, Jacco Gardner, Zombie Zombie, K-X-P, Les Big Byrd, Turzi, LNZNDRF, Moon Relay, Pharaoh Overlord, Dvanov, Kungens män, Karstof, Veik, Hyperculte, Flowers Must Die, Flaurel, Sei Still, Brokenchord etc.

I could go on with hundreds of more artists. Why are these artists NOT progressive? Because they utilize basic electronic dance music, punk, pop and other non-prog genres such as country as the main musical flavor and then they embellish it with secondary sound effects that are inspired by 70s German Krautrock. I could add hundreds of post-punk bands from the 70s on that alone simply added kraut aspects to punk and called it post-punk. It has been long established on this site that post-punk that simply adds kraut ingredients isn't progressive enough to be on this site. The music itself that forms the basis HAS to be progressive as in the case of Cardiacs.

In fact i know very few outside of this site who would even consider Can, Neu! or Faust to be prog. They are more often thought of as experimental rock. Progressive Kraut would be Amon Duul II, Kraan, Popol Vuh, Between etc. But because they were an essential part of the original scene i'm OK with them here but i don't extend that sentiment to newer bands.

As for an album with the primary tags of neo-psychedelia, experimental rock, experimental, post-rock and secondary tags being krautrock, ambient, noise rock, jam band, spoken word, noise, drone, post-rock, electronic, space rock revival, psychedelic rock, not only does that scream that I should listen to the album based on my interests, but that it might well be considerable for Prog Archives addition.

Definitely worth investigating but it's a case by case basis. I tend to reject bands that are primarily pop or monotonous droning with absolutely nothing else going on. The category wasn't designed to be comprehensive. It was designed to highlight the 70s German scene and extremely worthy candidates that followed.

We have two yes votes for the Flaming Lips in Prog Related now, by the way.

That's where i see them fitting in best here but crossover would work for me too.
If this was a paid gig i'd certainly check out the six hour EP that everyone loves so much.

Reactions to The Flaming Lips have been kind of weird and I think quite ignorant since I have seen at the time of Embryonic being released that The Flaming Lips has "nothing" to do with Prog. Nothing? Really? No relations whatsoever?

That's actually my favorite album by the F.L. It definitely has minor prog creds but it is still based in a neo-psychedelia / noise pop song structure.

Neo-psychedelia is applied to tons of pop bands with psychedelic overtones such as Ween, Animal Collective, Spiritualized, XTC, Panda Bear, Tame Impala, Beach House, MGMT, of Montreal, Beck, Deerhunter, Mazzy Star etc. The term alone says nothing about the main musical ingredients but rather the frosting that is applied to an already baked cake.

Many of these bands i love the hell outa but do i want them to be on PA? Hell no!

Bands like Mercury Rev who are here actually have prog elements including post-rock. And yes i like M.R. too!

There is a murky middle ground where pop slowly cedes into prog. Where any particular person draws the line is subjective.

There are many bands that fall into this arena. The Grateful Dead has been mentioned many times. I vote we are a bit conservative in the PSIKE world and limit newer candidates to either obvious prog or clear and irrefutable connections to the farthest out trips of the original 70s German scene.

PS Mercury Rev is cool.
(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83fed1a12e76f987',t:'MTcwNDMyMjQxNi45MTEwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 16:46
The Flaming Lips now have the requisite 3 yes votes from the admins so will be added to the database under Prog Related.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 17:21
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The Flaming Lips now have the requisite 3 yes votes from the admins so will be added to the database under Prog Related.

ClapClapClap

Well that solves that debate.

Case closed and welcome to the Lips!!!

ClapClapClap(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'83ff503dbcc92391',t:'MTcwNDMyNzYwMi45MTcwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 17:40
Yeaaaah!!! :) What a great start to 2024! 'Do you realize' how happy you've made me? ;)

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2024 at 18:43
Awesome!

Re Krautrock: I mean that whether the bands that are influenced by Krautrock are on the progressive rock (or progressive pop) spectrum or not, I mean that when one sees it as a label for non-German bands, it usually refers to an influence of music that is considered both Krautrock and Progressive Rock by PA category standards. For PA purposes, I do consider Can Krautrock even if it does not fit a traditional idea of Prog. I tend to judge music for PA by the category parameters, the definitions, and what is already included. Whether I personally consider, say, Kraftwerk or Neu! to be "true prog" is not even of interest to me.

Krautrock represented by bands like Can, Neu!, Harmonia, Cluster, Kraftwerk etc. has indeed influenced much indie and post-punk. And for me a lot of that music would fall under my greater prog umbrella, which includes related (but I often regret using the prog term because that itself can be a can of worms and is such a nebulous label and amorphous label commonly, and related could include anything depending on how close or distant the relation, in a sense). It is very subjective and a lot of it depends on the associations that the individual makes.
Different people commonly have different parameters and expectations for genres, and that's fine by me.

Date Posted: January 04 2024 at 01:09

What a lovely surprise, Ian. I'll help with their discography.

Posted By: bartymj
Date Posted: January 04 2024 at 01:37
Well, this is hilarious. I suggested The Flaming Lips I think in about 2021, off the back of their latest couple of albums being fairly progressive (2019-2020).

I was immediately told no, and the thread closed, on the basis that they had already been reviewed many years prior, i.e. before these albums were released.

Nice to see on a different day the random pot luck of an admin works in our favour ;-)

Date Posted: January 04 2024 at 04:10
Fight Test:- The first Flaming Lips song I ever heard and still an all-time favourite Beatlesque song. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 14:58
Any ETA on their addition? I'm curious who's taking care of the biography.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 22:06
I don't think there's any ETA. I'm no expert on the band but I like various albums by the band and would be willing to help, but would rather not until next month. Any special collab can add it, and any member can help, including adding the albums. I figure it's no hurry, it's been out for all these years. It is a big add and having various people working on different aspects of it might be really helpful and we would want to do it right. While I have added a few bands recently, I'm kind of rusty on it. I need to find a faster way to add albums too. One member had made a program to help with that. That alone sometimes takes me a ridiculously long time. Of course one can do that over time.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: January 11 2024 at 06:02
Wow… rejected in 2006, 2007,2009 and 2010. Not even brought to the vote in 2014. 
Surprising addition.

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: January 11 2024 at 06:14
^

Good to see you still around, Angelo. Been ages since I last communicated with you.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 11 2024 at 07:00

I'm copasetic with that. Wink

Date Posted: January 11 2024 at 07:38
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'm copasetic with that. Wink
Meanwhile, the rest of us are getting our dictionaries out. Tongue

Posted By: duchamp
Date Posted: January 15 2024 at 03:30

With albums like Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (especially) and their 2020 album 'American Head' - not to mention an entire reworking of Dark Side Of The Moon, surely the band deserve the honour of being listed in prog archives? They're brilliantly creative and I would suggest many of their tracks are prog/psych - or at the very least prog related.

Thoughts? 

Why isn't Hunter S Thompson considered a children's book author?

Nice The Prisoner reference in your status, by the way!

Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:22
We still need one of the advocates for The Flaming Lips to step up and provide a bio and band shot. I'll happily add them if I get the requisite information.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Archisorcerus
Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 12:42
'Cause they are flaming lips, not progressive tongues.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 14 2024 at 17:27
Flaming Lips...yeah, sure. Why not? Not a fan of their version of DSotM, but they didn't muck it up any worse than Roger Waters did.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: February 15 2024 at 11:13
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Flaming Lips...yeah, sure. Why not? Not a fan of their version of DSotM, but they didn't muck it up any worse than Roger Waters did.

Can't argue with that

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk