Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132051
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 11:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Aphrodites Child-666 or Soft Machine-Third
Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Subject: Aphrodites Child-666 or Soft Machine-Third
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 11:14
I just got done listening to Soft Machine's Third when this poll idea popped in my head. Both are very ambitious double albums. 

Replies:
Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 13:11

666, the more exotic and diabolic one  Big smile

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 13:13
Aphrodite's Child, by far.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 13:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Not a jazzy person huh? Wink

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 14:31
Soft Machine -Third

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 14:53
Third vote for Third.

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 15:27
The Soft Machine. Excellent album.

Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 15:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Soft Machine -Third

Did you actually vote yet though?

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 15:37
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Soft Machine -Third

Did you actually vote yet though?

yes

Posted By: Zappastolethetowels
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 20:15
Landmark canterbury-fusion record for the ages or a sprawling indulgent double turd mess of a record?

vote for third lol LOL

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 22:20
Aphrodite's Child easily. It's what progressive music was all about. Shame the band didn't exist by the time it was released (Vertigo didn't know what they had!). 

Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 22:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Aphrodite's Child easily. It's what progressive music was all about. Shame the band didn't exist by the time it was released (Vertigo didn't know what they had!). 

Just to point out - that record was the poster child for the exhibiting excesses of Prog (for a while there) - turning many casual fans away in the process. It was the sort of TFTO (Yes) of 1972

Not to disparage you in any way; after all, we proggers stand tall against media and those punks amirite?? Wink

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 22:38
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

Just to point out - that record was the poster child for the exhibiting excesses of Prog (for a while there) - turning many casual fans away in the process. It was the sort of TFTO (Yes) of 1972

Not to disparage you in any way; after all, we proggers stand tall against media and those punks amirite?? Wink

I love it personally , nothing like the drab plodding of Tales. It's never boring in the slightest and All THe Seats Are Occupied is wildly innovative for the time. Most of the public never heard it so that doesn't make a lot of sense tbh.

Date Posted: November 11 2023 at 22:57

I love it personally , nothing like the drab plodding of Tales. It's never boring in the slightest and All THe Seats Are Occupied is wildly innovative for the time. Most of the public never heard it so that doesn't make a lot of sense tbh.
I'm glad you like it!
My point is many that heard it never returned to Prog in general LOL 

The album contains a negative and positive connotation - that doesn't mean it doesn't have its share of fans, but you can say the same thing for Tales

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 00:40
Soft Machine - Third

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 01:11
Aphrodite's Child.

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 07:14
Soft Machine. I started with a pumpkin pie and ended up with a desk blotter and three tablespoons of cottage cheese.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 08:01
Third has the worst SM song (Facelift) and the best (Moon in June). The other two songs are meh.

Aphrodites Child is consistently decent so 666 it is.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 10:42

Where on earth have you heard or read that? richardh is right, it makes no sense. Nobody knew about that album so it wasn't a poster child for anything and it hardly turned anyone away from prog.

Still votedThird. There's not a whole lot of albums I'd vote for over it. 666 is wonderful too. Genuinly progressive and inventive.

-------------

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 11:44
I love both but find Third far more consistent and Soft Machine is a top ten band for me as well. 666 is such a charming record, so entertaining warts and all.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 12:18
Greece 12 points

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 12:58
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Greece 12 points

No, that's 8 points for Greece and 12 pounds (I mean points) for England. Wink I must have SEBTP on the brain. Tongue

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 14:41

Tell that to all the jazz/fusion in my collection. LOL

AC has the better album. Why did you make this oddball poll?

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 14:43

Just to point out - that record was the poster child for the exhibiting excesses of Prog (for a while there) - turning many casual fans away in the process.

I doubt it, since Aphrodite's Child weren't a household name.

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 14:54

It's what I do. Deal with it! Tongue

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 15:23

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Greece 12 points

No, that's 8 points for Greece and 12 pounds (I mean points) for England. Wink I must have SEBTP on the brain. Tongue

:-)

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:15

If somebody shouldn't be familiar with the story behind 666, this quote from The Bible may help:

"Anyone who has intelligence may interpret the number of the beast. It is a man's number. This number is 666."

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:18

It's what I do. Deal with it! Tongue

At least be familiar with the music. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:21

Why did you make this oddball poll?

This thought has occurred to me too. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:23
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

If somebody shouldn't be familiar with the story behind 666, this quote from The Bible may help:

"Anyone who has intelligence may interpret the number of the beast. It is a man's number. This number is 666."

-------------

Date Posted: November 12 2023 at 16:52
PE homie, the albums don't have to be similar to have a poll on them. Wink

Posted By: Duddick
Date Posted: November 13 2023 at 12:25
Just can’t compare them IMHO. Far too different but both great. I voted both equally

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 13 2023 at 12:56
Hi,

From a writing/creative standpoint, I would think that AP's album is the more important of the choices, and it should be mentioned that the father of progressive music, is the person that produced, as he did so many other things that helped start up what we know today. The listing Mr. Gomelsky put together in his years (and ears!), is insane and I'm not sure anyone will ever get that close. Check out the Wiki listing, if you have the time, for a listing that you will go ... wow ... you gotta be kidding me. The guy obviously had a special ear for music that many of us don't.

SM's album is another story and a part of the scene in England that ended up being considered "Canterbury". However, unlike the composed material by AP, SM's was a live thing, and not quite composed, and that is where RW's name for his book came from ... "Different EVery Time" ... and it might be hard to not imagine that during that album or within a concert. SM, was, however the set/bunch of folks that were all around Kevin Ayers, whose family owned the house that many people came and went, including movie folks, music folks and literary folks ... something that we are not capable or willing to give credit for it helping the "development" of what we ended up calling "progressive music".

"Tonite We All Love in London" is the special that gives a really good look at the time in London, and then we have to realize how many of these folks were coming and going in that house. Daevid Allen mentioned it a lot, but he stuck to the literature guys and did not say much else. But the comments by others heard in the film, say a lot about what the music ended up doing ... or as Lee Marvin says ... "go ahead girl ... show it ..." which all in all was the sentiment about the arts as well ... just do it! 

And many did!

Within this context, SM's album will be more important, though AP's album was more reflective of a different atmosphere in Europe, which was not exactly "commercialized" like things ended up being in London, and then everywhere else, though similar ideas were also alive in LA, SF, NY, Tokyo, Paris and many other places.

I'm not sure both albums should be competing with each other. I believe they both were a part of our inner self, coming out and waking up ... and as such, this is very important.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: November 15 2023 at 14:46

PE homie, the albums don't have to be similar to have a poll on them. Wink

Anyway, I'm happy about being able to vote for 666, and Soft Machine ain't bad to get in focus, either.

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: November 17 2023 at 09:54
SM

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: Moonshake
Date Posted: November 17 2023 at 14:17
Soft Machine

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: November 17 2023 at 14:19
Love both

Posted By: Moyan