Print Page | Close Window

ELP Underrated?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132812
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 11:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ELP Underrated?
Posted By: Stigfzm
Subject: ELP Underrated?
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 02:23
  Hello, I'm new here with utmost curiosity to see the PA list most reputated for its inclusivity of nurmerous albums to help new Prog-lovers to start with. However, it's the second curiosity which dumbfounds me to see ELP included in the Top-100 list - only one, however, their debut album, in the 93rd. Strange to me. Personally, every album released before their laughable Bee-Gees-oriented Love Beach deserves credit and top positions in the list. Especially, Brian Salad Surgery gained fame both in musical and paiting arts. Its commercial performance was also excellent compared with other prog albums back then. Our "loveable" neighbour, Rolling Stones, puts it onto the 12th position on their top-50 progs. So, I am curious to learn your real comments and attitudes towards this band and the reason why it is underrated.(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'87213b8a48d67e95',t:'MTcxMjczNjMzNC41NTEwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">

Replies:
Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 03:02
This was discussed a bit here (and i'm sure there was another one), maybe it will help you. 
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126852&KW=ELP" rel="nofollow - https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126852&KW=ELP

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 04:32
Underrated song

"For You"

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 04:47
BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)
All bands have stinkers and many have peak periods that shine. ELP are no exception in that. But what shined, really shined. Above and beyond most others.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 06:06
Thanks mate. Much appreciate that.(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'87229b9acf9b3157',t:'MTcxMjc1MDc1NS4xMjQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 06:11
I personally love ELP, and is one of my favorite bands ever. On the other hand, I don't really care much for the general opinion, not only in music but in everything, and if I like something, that's all that matters to me. So no matter how over or under rated a band might be, at the end it all comes down to how much I like it.

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 06:15
Interestingly, I don't see their popularity revitalised. I know ELP just because of that Japanese anime. I have received so many criticisms against ELP's so-called prog music. It seems that their blend of jazz, classical music and rock doesn't work for every prog fan. People tend to think of Rick rather than Keith when talking about the greatest keyboardist; Neal or Bill rather than Carl when speaking of the best prog drummer. Also, Carl is specially missing from any top drummer list, which is weird.(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'87229f508cf33157',t:'MTcxMjc1MDkwNy4xMTQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 07:24
ELP was an incredibly talented band. Their musical output was sometimes inconsistent, but at their best, they were one of the best.
As someone who was into progressive rock since the late 60s, I've seen what prog fans seem to like shift to a more heavy rock sound, ELP was not that.

Posted By: Gnik Nosmirc
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 07:25
ELP is one of the closest things, with Gentle Giant perhaps, to classical music in prog.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:07
Hi,

I started with ELP on their Mussorgsky release, and the next day I heard that one song on the first album and went and got it. I was with them until BSS.

Even at the time, I was already telling folks what a great composer Keith Emerson was, and how well so much of his playing sounded like classical music to my ears, done with a modern, electric twist to it. These days, when you can hear Rachel Flowers do TARKUS on piano (and also on organ!!!), you can immediately see what a great composer he was, which the rock press and majority of fans, were to never accentuate, or appreciate ... they wanted the hits, not the music!

Seeing a couple of things done for Keith, at least one with Rachel, was ... sad to my ears, but I was proud to have thought of it as the classical music that it was ... and how it was portrayed with an orchestra. 

His work will survive. The rock songs will be forgotten and the new generation won't give a damn, like they don't know, and think of much of it as elevator music, because it has no loudness, or a screaming guitar, or some kind of growl. Anything that is not about music, if you will. Their shows were LOUD in those days, but nowhere near the ridiculous level of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, or the worst offender of them all? The Rolling Stones.

I'm of the opinion that there is more Keith Emerson material available, but some folks that were close to him, don't want to show it, because it was not written as a band like ELP would play it ... it is on a staff with regular notes and such ... and sadly we won't hear any of this ... some of t might be bagatelles, but there is no artist, writer, or painter, that did not leave behind 150 parts and pieces in various closets because they did not fit anywhere at the time ... 

That's not to say that none of the material is great or worth being seen, but I would we certainly did not leave behind a lot of Mozart and Beethoven and hundreds of other composers, and I think it is time we allow Keith's notes to show themselves and what they created. Hopefully before my time is up, because I am one of the few that has spoken of him as a modern classical composer of music, not just a rock'n'roller. The presentation was ... what was needed at the time for his music to be seen ... and we have to appreciate that and understand it, so folks misrepresenting the music really need to jump off the pier into the ocean as Monty Python would say!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:21
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)
All bands have stinkers and many have peak periods that shine. ELP are no exception in that. But what shined, really shined. Above and beyond most others.

Is that a bath mat? Confused

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

well, fan is short for fanatic. LOL

Posted By: Octopus II
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:36
One of the first vinyl albums I ever bought, and still my favourite ELP album Smile

EMERSON LAKE &amp; PALMER Emerson Lake &amp; Palmer reviews

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:44
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

True dat!

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:44
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

One of the first vinyl albums I ever bought, and still my favourite ELP album Smile

EMERSON LAKE &amp;amp; PALMER Emerson Lake &amp;amp; Palmer reviews
Indeed! Great album.

-------------

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 09:04
IMO all their album releases up to BSS (and possibly Works vol.1) are masterpieces of prog rock, and essential to the collection of any serious prog fan.

[If I could own only one ELP album it would have to be 'Pictures at an Exhibition' as it always manages to lift my spirits, however low I may be.]

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 10:05

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

Wall Hanging !

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 10:07

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

Wall Hanging !

Talking like a true fanatic. LOL

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 10:36

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

Wall Hanging !

It's a bath mat...that he hangs on the wall Clap

-------------

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 11:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

Wall Hanging !

It's a bath mat...that he hangs on the wall Clap
So it's a Wall Mat?

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 11:26
^ It would be really cool if you also hung your bath on the wall.

As for ELP -- my stock answer when it comes to such questions commonly -- overrated by some and underrated by others.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Jacob Schoolcraft
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 12:27
Originally posted by Stigfzm Stigfzm wrote:

Interestingly, I don't see their popularity revitalised. I know ELP just because of that Japanese anime. I have received so many criticisms against ELP's so-called prog music. It seems that their blend of jazz, classical music and rock doesn't work for every prog fan. People tend to think of Rick rather than Keith when talking about the greatest keyboardist; Neal or Bill rather than Carl when speaking of the best prog drummer. Also, Carl is specially missing from any top drummer list, which is weird.(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'87229f508cf33157',t:'MTcxMjc1MDkwNy4xMTQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">

People have their heroes and the abundance of people mentioning Neil before Carl is most likely based on their love for Rush and not ELP. As music is subjective but a lot of times it is overrated. For example the way in which the internet represents Led Zeppelin being hailed as the most iconic Rock band during the Golden age of Rock...when I was a teenager. They were in fact NOT! They were thought to be great alongside others. Rock Music was divided amongst us. The generation I grew up with....the 70s ...is very misinterpreted on the internet. A bunch of lies and hot air. It's pretty self explanatory as to why and how it came to be that more people mention Neil over Carl or Rick over Keith.

On another note...prior to Rush making appearances on national TV Emerson had made a name for himself. He was legendary. Several bands were influenced by The Nice and ELP. Beggars Opera, Trace, Triumvirate and others. Obviously ELP made an impact earlier in the 70s. Keith Emerson was super influential to keyboardists around the world. Keith Emerson was so ridiculously popular. People like Michael Quatro and keyboardists in Top 40 bands ...let alone. ..many keyboardists in Progressive Rock bands. Before Rick Wakeman joined Yes...keyboard players were trying to emulate Emerson.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 12:47

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

Better than a toilet seat cover.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 13:18
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

People have their heroes and the abundance of people mentioning Neil before Carl is most likely based on their love for Rush and not ELP. As music is subjective but a lot of times it is overrated. For example the way in which the internet represents Led Zeppelin being hailed as the most iconic Rock band during the Golden age of Rock...when I was a teenager. They were in fact NOT! They were thought to be great alongside others. Rock Music was divided amongst us. The generation I grew up with....the 70s ...is very misinterpreted on the internet. A bunch of lies and hot air. 

Hi,

Music is not as subjective as we think ... until we give credence to folks that think their opinion is more important than the reality of it all ... I have opinions, but I don't believe that I am "the truth" and "the know" of it all ... it is how I saw what I saw during the time. And this is the main reason why I am not a great fan of the "best of" or the "greatest of" or some other fan ideas about some folks. Even Carl Palmer will tell you that he dislikes comparisons, and he finds them unfair. He had his touch. Neil had his touch. Bonzo had his touch. Moonie had his touch ... and none of them were the same, thus, making the whole discussion of who is greater, a really stupid joke ... not to mention that they also played very different music, some of which was not appreciated at the time, but came to be loved soon after ... I can remember a station in Madison WI making fun of The Nice ... they think they are doing classical music ... and can't play a note! I replied, that I was not sure who the station was comparing these folks to ... the over rated classical folks that played Sunday Nights on campus? Many of them are not that great ... except one I did get to see ... Mr. Segovia ... he blew a string in the middle of a piece, and continued playing around it, and 6 minutes later when it ended, he asked ... did that sound OK? And he got an immediate ovation, which he almost cried in disbelief.

Again, my main issue is how we "think" that we know it all and thus have the right to DECIDE what is good and what is not good, or great. Led Zeppelin was perfect for its time and place. And they MADE bootlegs famous along with the Beatles and Grateful Dead ... it showed what a magnificent band they were on stage in their first 3 years or so ... incredible, and impossible to get a ticket! One series sold like 7 locations in less than 3 hours, to give you an idea ... that's not exactly the sign of a lazy, poor, and ridiculous band, like a few that are "listed" today, that have no track record whatsoever to show for their supposed talent!

What hurt it all was when around 1974/1975, it was then very clear that it was all about the loudness and the noise that the bands made, and some of them were not that great ... for all the love of Deep Purple, that was a concert I walked out of ... out of tune, too loud, and not together or clean ... like a rehearsal was above and beyond their need ... right after Leon Russell put on a show case of how good a show could be without being loud! The other show I walked out of was The Rolling Stones ... they were horrible on stage as many bootlegs showed ... only took 3 songs and 15 minutes to leave! 

I agree with you that the fan base has a tendency to ignore the time and place, and I have heard some folks even say that Woodstock was stupid ... like it meant nothing to anyone, THEN ... and is still meaningless today, because of the media hatred towards many folks, hippies and some drugs. And no one stands up for these bands, and what the whole thing was about ... which, TODAY, is so meaningless, it's not funny ... no one discusses the lyrics anymore, as if the majority of rap bands had more to say than all rock bands put together ... we don't even care what the guy sang about ... because we liked the song ... which many can not even tell you what it is about!

It's sad ... and this is the reason why I try to post meaningful content, as opposed to fan crap ... and discussing a bath towel or bathroom carpet ... wow ... the talent of ... is astounding! Yeah it's fun ... but in a thread about the music? 

It tells you everything you need to know about it all ... and the Internet!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 13:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

That was my next guess.

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 13:38
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

BEST...BAND...EVER
(IMHO)

I'm NOT cutting a hole in it !!  Wink

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 13:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's sad ... and this is the reason why I try to post meaningful content, as opposed to fan crap ... and discussing a bath towel or bathroom carpet ... wow ... the talent of ... is astounding! Yeah it's fun ... but in a thread about the music? 

It tells you everything you need to know about it all ... and the Internet!
You're just jealous because you don't have an ELP bath mat wall hanging toilet seat cover.

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 16:00
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

People have their heroes and the abundance of people mentioning Neil before Carl is most likely based on their love for Rush and not ELP. As music is subjective but a lot of times it is overrated. For example the way in which the internet represents Led Zeppelin being hailed as the most iconic Rock band during the Golden age of Rock...when I was a teenager. They were in fact NOT! They were thought to be great alongside others. Rock Music was divided amongst us. The generation I grew up with....the 70s ...is very misinterpreted on the internet. A bunch of lies and hot air. It's pretty self explanatory as to why and how it came to be that more people mention Neil over Carl or Rick over Keith.

On another note...prior to Rush making appearances on national TV Emerson had made a name for himself. He was legendary. Several bands were influenced by The Nice and ELP. Beggars Opera, Trace, Triumvirate and others. Obviously ELP made an impact earlier in the 70s. Keith Emerson was super influential to keyboardists around the world. Keith Emerson was so ridiculously popular. People like Michael Quatro and keyboardists in Top 40 bands ...let alone. ..many keyboardists in Progressive Rock bands. Before Rick Wakeman joined Yes...keyboard players were trying to emulate Emerson.

Thanks for saying that, I hate how LZ gets retroactively proclaimed the "greatest of the great" 70s rock bands when ELP, Yes, and Santana were HUGE then.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 16:21
^ Yes but none of those bands were as big as Led Zeppelin (and probably not even close). 

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 17:19
Don't worry, Mike. Santana's been unquestionably bigger than all of them since 1999, just not for the right reasons (with the exception of Santana IV).

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 18:09
The original question by the OP was about the ratings for ELP on PA and their respective place in the album heirarchy. There are simple reasons for this the most obvious being that the rating system encourages only 5 stars for masterpeices. When you compare BSS to say Close To The Edge it's very easy to see why the latter is much higher rated. Nothing strange about that. It's already been pointed out that ELP would do better if individual tracks were rated instead of albums. Take A Pebble and Tarkus would be in a top 20 at least and a few others in a top 50.
Personally I think their only underrated album is Works Volume One. It has some stellar material but much like Tales From Topographic Oceans makes no compromise whatsover to a personal artistic vision and so comes across as 'cold'. Self indulgent it was and sure it has solo stuff but most of it is brilliant and eclectic. After that ELP should have packed in. The president of Atlantic Records insisted they release another album and unwisely that went back into the studio shortly after an exhausting and extensive Works tour. The resultant Love Beach did much to damage their hard earned reputation as one of the biggest and best classic rock bands (they had more in common with Deep Purple and LZ than Gentle Giant or Genesis imo). A rock band lead by a keyboard player was unheard of. They should have stopped when the going was good but hindsight is always a great thing.

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 20:06
A lot of the reason ELP doesn’t have more albums in the top 100 is almost every album has a track or two that keeps it below 5 stars. I love everything from the debut through BSS, but BSS is the only 5-star album for me. Yet I proudly include them in the big 5 because the great tracks are among the all-time greatest.

Posted By: AJ Junior
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 21:23
I 100% agree. Although I think their only album without a weak track is the debut. That being said it's not my personal favorite because I think the great songs on Trilogy outweigh it. 

-------------
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 21:33
These days ELP are very underrated- especially among the younger prog fans.

Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 21:34
Originally posted by AJ Junior AJ Junior wrote:

I 100% agree. Although I think their only album without a weak track is the debut. That being said it's not my personal favorite because I think the great songs on Trilogy outweigh it. 

I don't hear any weak tracks on the debut. To me their weak tracks are (if any are) Benny the Bouncer, Jeremy Bender and The Sheriff. To me their debut is their best partly because it doesn't have any of those "goofy cowboy songs."

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: April 10 2024 at 23:18
^I like most of those. Jeremy Bender is... fine, but I dislike Are You Ready, Eddy? way more. I'm not a fan of blues pastiche. Benny the Bouncer, on the other hand, is way more fun, and has an awesome ragtime solo. The Sheriff is my favorite of all of those because while it is pastiche, it's a little less campy and more authentic, and Emerson's solo on that one goes beyond honky-tonk clichés and actually manages to be fresh from a jazz perspective. I will always defend those latter two tracks. It can't be serious all the time.

Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 00:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^I like most of those. Jeremy Bender is... fine, but I dislike Are You Ready, Eddy? way more. I'm not a fan of blues pastiche. Benny the Bouncer, on the other hand, is way more fun, and has an awesome ragtime solo. The Sheriff is my favorite of all of those because while it is pastiche, it's a little less campy and more authentic, and Emerson's solo on that one goes beyond honky-tonk clichés and actually manages to be fresh from a jazz perspective. I will always defend those latter two tracks. It can't be serious all the time.

It can't? Come on this is prog rock we are talking about. It's supposed to be serious!LOL My problem with those tracks isn't so much the intention behind them or the fact that they are different so much as they just sound out of place. I don't really feel like they fit in with the rest of the albums. Their debut doesn't have that issue but I suppose people could complain about that one containing a drum solo. Confused So no, I don't skip the cowboy songs but I prefer the debut at least partly because they aren't there to ruin the continuity. That's just my opinion though. Obviously others disagree although I'm pretty sure many people skip those tracks.

Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 05:05
Comic relief has a place.
Even Spock's Beard's Senor Valasco's Mystic Voodoo Love Dance shows that.

-------------

Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 05:15

Comic relief has a place.

Absolutely. Life would be unbearable without it. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 12:24

You're just jealous because you don't have an ELP bath mat wall hanging toilet seat cover.

Hi,

Nah ... I don't collect "material" things as proof that I met someone or saw someone. And I was one of the first to condemn the folks that went after the pieces of the pig at Anaheim stadium. It really showed that the whole thing was out of control in the hands of fanatics, not fans! AND, with the internet these days, it has gotten even worse ... like you having a bath towel like that validates anything you say or do about ELP! The towel more valuable than the music!

One of these days, someone is gonna rip an artist and kill him/her and then float that ... I have a bunch of her hair ... right here ... and all it tells me is that the work itself, the art itself, is not worth it, because someone's pride is elsewhere.

I toured with some bands, and my picture was used for GONG for several years, and I am proud of "having been there" with friends and folks that were important to me, not as a fan, but as a PERSON. And people that had a lot of beauty in their hearts and were not exactly showing off their fame ... the memories alone, is more than I need or want. 

Thank you!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 15:44
^WTF are you talking about? Wacko
This was NOT proof that I met someone or saw someone. It was a hand made labour of love from my folks who knew they were my favourite band.
I'm getting ready to give up on this site altogether. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 16:07

This was NOT proof that I met someone or saw someone. It was a hand made labour of love from my folks who knew they were my favourite band.

Please don't pack in JD. That was just Mosh being Mosh. It's we that should be jealous that we don't have such awesome gifts from our parents. My father left me his Merle Haggard records when he moved out. Now that would make any prog fan depressed.

-------------

Posted By: Valdez1
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:23
Was my favorite band back in the 70's . 
 BSS and after sounds dated now.
 The prior earlier records don't sound dated.
Except for benny the bouncer

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:27

Please don't pack in JD. That was just Mosh being Mosh. It's we that should be jealous that we don't have such awesome gifts from our parents. My father left me his Merle Haggard records when he moved out. Now that would make any prog fan depressed.

How can you possibly not LOVE this?  lol, When I was young, I lived on a reservation in Washington State for a year and a half.  They loved them some Merle.

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:49

Don't leave.  I just posted a Merle Haggard video.  

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:03
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

How can you possibly not LOVE this?  lol, When I was young, I lived on a reservation in Washington State for a year and a half.  They loved them some Merle.

Noooo! Confused

Wink

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:06
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

EMERSON LAKE &amp;amp; PALMER Emerson Lake &amp;amp; Palmer reviews

Thumbs Up

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:33
First I thought the bathmat was caviar. Then I thought it was a cake.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 11:14
I like ELP, but they've never grabbed me like most other bands. Maybe it's because they have no fixed guitarist (beyond Greg Lake sometimes playing), and the heavy emphasis on keyboards. Also, no separate lead singer to front the band, not that that is necessary. Their music is good, but I could easily fit their most worthy material onto one full CD. Maybe also it's that trio aspect that I find lacking. Of the hundreds of bands I listen to, I don't think I have any favorites who are trios. Four members adds such a bigger dimension and seems like the minimum number. Oh well.

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 17:48
The reliance on keyboards is both their strength and weakness. Probably why Yes became bigger and more recognised over time after they added a keyboardist that matched Emerson. However in 1970 the world needed a band to get the most out of the prodigiously talented Keith Emerson and ELP was it. Could it have been better if a guitarist had joined? Without doubt but unfortunately that guitarist died the same year of a drugs overdose (after ELP had formed but I believe it could still have happened)

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 18:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The reliance on keyboards is both their strength and weakness. Probably why Yes became bigger and more recognised over time after they added a keyboardist that matched Emerson. However in 1970 the world needed a band to get the most out of the prodigiously talented Keith Emerson and ELP was it. Could it have been better if a guitarist had joined? Without doubt but unfortunately that guitarist died the same year of a drugs overdose (after ELP had formed but I believe it could still have happened)
Excellent opinion and background on the band, Richard. And maybe one more reason. The money earned could go just as easily into 3 as would into 4.

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:23

Excellent opinion and background on the band, Richard. And maybe one more reason. The money earned could go just as easily into 3 as would into 4.

I suspect there is some truth in that as well. Keith Emerson's ego would also have been another reason not wanting to share the stage with another 'peacock' Smile

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:56
Yep, one of my favorite bands. The first four main albums only have two songs I would call true filler ("Are You Ready Eddy?" and "Benny the Bouncer"). Other than that, it's all peak classic Symphonic Prog. Emerson is one of the greatest musicians of all time, and is a true original. He developed a unique sound. His playing is instantly recognizable.

Posted By: Criswell
Date Posted: April 24 2024 at 09:01
[QUOTE=Floydoid]IMO all their album releases up to BSS (and possibly Works vol.1) are masterpieces of prog rock, and essential to the collection of any serious prog fan.

Concur 100%...a tremendous 5-album run up to BSS...

Date Posted: April 24 2024 at 12:56
And quite possibly the greatest ever prog band that did away with lead guitar altogether (apart from the odd bit of acoustic by Greg - e.g. The Sage).

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2024 at 16:58
Greg Lake playing lead guitar in ELP:
Lucky Man
Battlefield (Tarkus)
From The Beginning
Still You Turn Me On
Karn Evil 9 1st Impression

Lake actually started as a lead guitarist but Robert Fripp asked him to play bass as lead was taken!

Date Posted: April 28 2024 at 13:44
I'm not saying they never used a lead guitar, but it was not the norm for them.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 28 2024 at 15:27
They are not underrated with me or my other prog friends....and the first 4 studio lps are all 4 star and the debut is the best......imho.
I never tire of hearing the debut...it's always fresh and beautiful to my ears.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: April 28 2024 at 18:28
ELP wasn't underrated in 1975.  But they're underrated now.

Date Posted: April 29 2024 at 14:00
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

I'm not saying they never used a lead guitar, but it was not the norm for them.

You pretty much said that though. There were bands that 'did away with lead guitar altogether' but ELP wasn't one of them.

Posted By: Steve Wyzard
Date Posted: April 30 2024 at 13:32

Greg Lake playing lead guitar in ELP:
Lucky Man
Battlefield (Tarkus)
From The Beginning
Still You Turn Me On
Karn Evil 9 1st Impression

Lake actually started as a lead guitarist but Robert Fripp asked him to play bass as lead was taken!

Don't forget that tasty acoustic solo in the long center-section of "Take a Pebble"!

Date Posted: April 30 2024 at 23:45
^ originally the mid section had it's own song 'A dog named blue' off the top of my head which was a clap along audience thing. You can find it on some early ELP live stuff.
For me The Sage is the best thing he ever did with an acoustic guitar although I do like his Xmas hit a lot. The latter came about because he had a little acoustic guitar piece that he didn't know what to with and then discovered he could sing 'Jingle Bells' along with it!

Posted By: Phil Rollins
Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 03:53
No, not really. I mean, it's all been done before.

Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 05:02
While I would still say that its underrated by some and overrated by others, having seen claims that it's underrated many times gives me the impression that it's terribly overrated (at least by those who would insist that it's terribly underrated).

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Big Sky
Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 11:20
I think it's more that ELP is underappreciated in these current times. They were one of the pioneers of what became Progressive Rock. They were innovative and embraced music technology. Massively talented, in particular, Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer were mainstays in musician polls for best keyboardist and drummer. Emerson's influence is massive and is recognized by many as Rock music's greatest keyboardist.

Their first 4 studio albums and 2 live albums have stood the test of time. If they would have called it a day after their triple live album Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, they would be remembered more fondly. They would have made their statement, while going out on top.

Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 14:40
^ I'm sure many do underappreciate ELP, but I have known various individuals at PA who recognise the contributions and significance to rock generally and to Prog specifically, as well as the talent on display, but just don't enjoy qualities of the music much or how that talent is used.  The debut is most liked by me.  I think it's the lack of subtlety in part from ELP in certain music, the show-off-ness, that puts many off.  There is a  bandwagon effect that more now might well focus on certain qualities that are seen as negative now due to common criticisms.  And it's not as known now as it is not now trendy.  That said, while one might argue that it is underappreciated by the majority into progressive music now, one might also say that it was over-appreciated at the time by the masses.   An issue I have had with various posters at PA has been that they feel that ELP is entitled to be in the top 100 albums chart and that it is wrong and an injustice for ELP not to get better representation in the chart.  That ELP deserves to higher rated in the chart. The chart is a popularity list based on an amalgamation of the ratings of what individuals have rated and how they rated those albums.  I do not believe that people are underrating it who opt not to rate the albums or rate them highly.  That one would like to see the band more popular again, fine, but it is the sense of entitlement of some ELP fans, the ignorance of how the charts operate and what they represent, and scorn for those who think less of ELP that has been an issue from my perspective.  My perspective mostly comes from PA forum interactions and is less "global" than many.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 18:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

While I would still say that its underrated by some and overrated by others, having seen claims that it's underrated many times gives me the impression that it's terribly overrated (at least by those who would insist that it's terribly underrated).
I like ELP far more than the word "underrated". Tongue

Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 19:00
^ And I prefer the term underrated to proctalgia fugax.  To each his or her own.

-------------

Posted By: Big Sky
Date Posted: May 02 2024 at 22:25

^ I'm sure many do underappreciate ELP, but I have known various
individuals at PA who recognise the contributions and significance to
rock generally and to Prog specifically, as well as the talent on
display, but just don't enjoy qualities of the music much or how that
talent is used.  The debut is most liked by me.  I think it's the lack
of subtlety in part from ELP in certain music, the show-off-ness, that
puts many off.  There is a  bandwagon effect that more now might well
focus on certain qualities that are seen as negative now due to common
criticisms.  And it's not as known now as it is not now trendy.  That
said, while one might argue that it is underappreciated by the majority
into progressive music now, one might also say that it was
over-appreciated at the time by the masses.   An issue I have had with
various posters at PA has been that they feel that ELP is entitled to be
in the top 100 albums chart and that it is wrong and an injustice for
ELP not to get better representation in the chart.  That ELP
deserves to higher rated in the chart. The chart is a popularity
list based on an amalgamation of the ratings of what individuals have
rated and how they rated those albums.  I do not believe that people are
underrating it who opt not to rate the albums or rate them highly. 
That one would like to see the band more popular again, fine, but it is
the sense of entitlement of some ELP fans, the ignorance of how the
charts operate and what they represent, and scorn for those who think
less of ELP that has been an issue from my perspective.  My perspective
mostly comes from PA forum interactions and is less "global" than many.

Logan,

I understand what you are saying. That one can appreciate the importance of ELP to Prog Rock, indeed they are on the short list of most important bands to the genre of Prog, but not necessarily be a fan of their music.

I guess Eddie Van Halen would be that for me in the guitar world. I recognize his importance to guitar generally and rock guitar specifically. He is one of the two most important rock guitarists ever. You can argue over if you want to place Hendrix or Eddie in the top spot. However, I can list probably over a hundred guitarists I rather listen to before picking Van Halen. If it's specifically Rock guitarist, then there are certainly at least 50 I would pick.

His style was never one that I wanted to absorb in my playing as a guitarist. Howe, Morse, Lifeson, Fripp, McLaughlin were the guys that I was more interested in as a guitarist.

I will say as far as ELP is concerned, I would have 3 albums in my top 100 as far as PA is concerned. BSS and maybe Trilogy would be in my top 50.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: May 03 2024 at 02:34
Looking at how many bands have been deeply influenced by ELP, I think they wasn't weren't underrated by their colleagues.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: May 03 2024 at 07:45
Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

I think it's more that ELP is underappreciated in these current times. They were one of the pioneers of what became Progressive Rock. They were innovative and embraced music technology.

Hi,

I agree with the lack of appreciation, specially for the lack of comprehension i regards to how you heard a lot of the music in the late 60's and early 70's, just before the FM radio band took over in America (1971/1972 for sure) ... and we heard the music, and it sounded glorious ... and there was no one that I can remember that did not appreciate it, or thought it was stupid. 

I don't know about the "pioneer" business, since ELP was not the only band to get a lot of spins on the new radio "sound", something I don't know folks today can relate to, which helped make a lot of bands huge, and with an incredible following that resulted in massive sales.

Innovation ... I tend to look at differently ... innovation has always been there in many ways, styles and appearances, but for the time, AND PLACE, it's appearance was like the opening of 2001 for so many folks ... it was a huge wow ... but today, it's mostly all a cheap (and loud) light show and so many bands simply mailing their material! I don't think there will be another big "WOW" in music for many years to come, specially as we are not looking at new stuff, and keep regurgitating the old stuff.

I wish that many more of us would listen to these favorites in the MONO version of things that was first heard in those days ... for many of us, the first thing you are going to do is ... yep ... throw up! And it makes you realize how important the advent of STEREO in the FM radio became, which helped Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and so many other bands that were very strong and different than most pop music on the cheap radio dial. Gosh, you should have heard the Moodies in the AM radio ... Nights in White Nothing ... is just ... so sad ... and if you use earphones, wow ... that's a mess!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: May 03 2024 at 10:17

^ I'm sure many do underappreciate ELP, but I have known various individuals at PA who recognise the contributions and significance to rock generally and to Prog specifically, as well as the talent on display, but just don't enjoy qualities of the music much or how that talent is used.  The debut is most liked by me.  I think it's the lack of subtlety in part from ELP in certain music, the show-off-ness, that puts many off.  There is a  bandwagon effect that more now might well focus on certain qualities that are seen as negative now due to common criticisms.  And it's not as known now as it is not now trendy.  That said, while one might argue that it is underappreciated by the majority into progressive music now, one might also say that it was
over-appreciated at the time by the masses.   

An issue I have had with various posters at PA has been that they feel that ELP is entitled to be in the top 100 albums chart and that it is wrong and an injustice for ELP to not get better representation in the chart.  That ELP deserves to be higher rated in the chart. The chart is a popularity list based on an amalgamation of the ratings of what individuals have rated and how they rated those albums.  I do not believe that people are underrating it who opt not to rate the albums or rate them highly.  That one would like to see the band more popular again, fine, but it is the sense of entitlement of some ELP fans, the ignorance of how the charts operate and what they represent, and scorn for those who think less of ELP that has been an issue from my perspective.  My perspective mostly comes from PA forum interactions and is less "global" than many.

Logan,

I understand what you are saying. That one can appreciate the importance of ELP to Prog Rock, indeed they are on the short list of most important bands to the genre of Prog, but not necessarily be a fan of their music.

I guess Eddie Van Halen would be that for me in the guitar world. I recognize his importance to guitar generally and rock guitar specifically. He is one of the two most important rock guitarists ever. You can argue over if you want to place Hendrix or Eddie in the top spot. However, I can list probably over a hundred guitarists I rather listen to before picking Van Halen. If it's specifically Rock guitarist, then there are certainly at least 50 I would pick.

His style was never one that I wanted to absorb in my playing as a guitarist. Howe, Morse, Lifeson, Fripp, McLaughlin were the guys that I was more interested in as a guitarist.

I will say as far as ELP is concerned, I would have 3 albums in my top 100 as far as PA is concerned. BSS and maybe Trilogy would be in my top 50.

Jeff, I get where you are coming from in both posts and do appreciate your perspective.  If I were to make list of most significant and quintessential Prog bands, ELP would be very high in the list.  And if I were to do a top 100 most significant albums to Prog, ELP would again rank high. I'd be tempted to put Trilogy because that is one I have really liked and from my upbringing it's one of those I remember being in people's collections while a young child.  When I seriously got into Prog in the 2000s, Trilogy is one of the first albums to which I returned.  I have wondered if some others attitudes have tainted my appreciation for various ELP music or how much of it is just that my tastes shifted.  When I joined PA, Gentle Giant and PFM were my favourite bands and now neither gets much attention from me... Moved onto other things.  As noted, ELP has been a significant influence on many bands/musicians and I have been acquainted with people who loved bands/musicians/albums/tracks inspired by ELP while being quite scornful of ELP

As for my own personal top 100 albums included in PA (and if doing so I would do one album per act), ELP would not make it, but then my tastes commonly do not run towards the more typical Prog suspects or Prog styles. A lot of what I like best in PA might not be considered Prog genre even if progressive music. As one person one put it bluntly at PA, I have terrible taste in music (not that I agree). Big smile

--------------------------------------------------------

As to the issue of the much reviled overrated and underrated terms, a problem I see is that is they get "overused" and often it is just coming down to an "others don't appreciate certain music as much as I", or "others like music I don't appreciate much far too much" and "I know better".  It can be a very arrogant, self-centred, and myopic assessment.  That is subjective, but there are ways to consider the merits of art/bands/musicians in a more objective, evidentiary, knowledgeable and reasonable manner.  Sometimes people overrate or underrate something (i.e, assess too highly or lowly) due to ignorance, erroneous assumptions, falsehoods, misinterpretation....

-------------

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: May 03 2024 at 17:49
First album pretty good. They tended to get weaker after that. Didn’t like brain salad lol

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: May 03 2024 at 19:58
I agree their 1970-1974 period seems underrated in the TOP 100, at least compared to the other "Big 6" bands. Even other bands like Gentle Giant, VDGG, or even more unknown bands for the general public like PFM seem to have higher rated albums. 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: May 06 2024 at 02:56
Oh this bloody top 100 thing again.

ELP albums are rated correctly with maybe the exception being BSS.
The first 4 studio albums are all around 4 (excellent addition to a prog collection). The triple album also has a similar rating. The rating system though on PA is very unsophiscated with no half marks allowed. Quite likely BSS would achieve a slightly higher rating if you didn't have to deduct a whole point for the risable BTB (that has always harmed it's standing here I believe). That's my main complaint but it's not a big one because ELP decided to include it and that's a mistake they have to own (when they toured the album it was the only track they didn't play so go figure). I believe a lot of stuff on PA only gets higher rated because the quality is more even and consistent , for instance Supertramps Crime Of The Century is a very enjoyable album but hardly ground breaking or innovative (ELP were those things IMO). 'Tramp were mainly good at soaking up influences and making things nice and tidy and the likes of Camel and a few others were also more in that mould as well. ELP were untidy and rather happier out in the world performing where they had less arguments and potential falling outs!

Considering the number of albums released every year I would like to see more modern albums rated higher and it actually annoys me a tad that so much of the top 100 is the last century. But you have the filters and can pick years (grouped if you want) and so that's cool. I think it's much better to consider PA as a resource to try and gets to grip with the much varied many headed beast that is 'prog rock' rather than some form of bible.

BTW over the years I've concluded that Gentle Giant fans are just as bad as ELP fans when it comes to being self entitled . Fact is ELP sold a shedload of albums and could stand on a stage and not look at out place next to the giants of rock music (Sabbath, LZ , Purple etc) . They could perform the sh*t out of it, sell out massive staduims and actually had personality. Beyond this they had one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century in Keith Emerson who had the talent to create Tarkus and Karn Evil 9. I only care about talent at the end of the day. ELP were all about talent and not about consistency or making good decisions. I'll take the former any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Date Posted: May 06 2024 at 03:37

Oh this bloody top 100 thing again.

ELP albums are rated correctly with maybe the exception being BSS.
The first 4 studio albums are all around 4 (excellent addition to a prog collection). The triple album also has a similar rating. The rating system though on PA is very unsophiscated with no half marks allowed. Quite likely BSS would achieve a slightly higher rating if you didn't have to deduct a whole point for the risable BTB (that has always harmed it's standing here I believe). That's my main complaint but it's not a big one because ELP decided to include it and that's a mistake they have to own (when they toured the album it was the only track they didn't play so go figure). I believe a lot of stuff on PA only gets higher rated because the quality is more even and consistent , for instance Supertramps Crime Of The Century is a very enjoyable album but hardly ground breaking or innovative (ELP were those things IMO). 'Tramp were mainly good at soaking up influences and making things nice and tidy and the likes of Camel and a few others were also more in that mould as well. ELP were untidy and rather happier out in the world performing where they had less arguments and potential falling outs!

Considering the number of albums released every year I would like to see more modern albums rated higher and it actually annoys me a tad that so much of the top 100 is the last century. But you have the filters and can pick years (grouped if you want) and so that's cool. I think it's much better to consider PA as a resource to try and gets to grip with the much varied many headed beast that is 'prog rock' rather than some form of bible.

BTW over the years I've concluded that Gentle Giant fans are just as bad as ELP fans when it comes to being self entitled . Fact is ELP sold a shedload of albums and could stand on a stage and not look at out place next to the giants of rock music (Sabbath, LZ , Purple etc) . They could perform the sh*t out of it, sell out massive staduims and actually had personality. Beyond this they had one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century in Keith Emerson who had the talent to create Tarkus and Karn Evil 9. I only care about talent at the end of the day. ELP were all about talent and not about consistency or making good decisions. I'll take the former any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

That's a fair comment. I'm also confused by ELP's inconsistency within their albums. Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery both contain the apex of Keith Emerson IMO, but strangely also have stupid ballads or pop songs. That just explains why ELP's debut album is concluded in the top 100. Thanks mate

Date Posted: May 06 2024 at 06:58

I think it's more that ELP is underappreciated in these current times. They were one of the pioneers of what became Progressive Rock. They were innovative and embraced music technology.

Hi,

55 years later, and a spoiled listening audience that had no idea how valuable and huge (and important) some things were in the late 60's ... I think it is impossible to take the current folks comments properly, specially when they come from the side of "preference" instead of a simple explanation of their reasoning why ... perhaps they have no explanation beyond "preference", and in these days of Internet, they have the right to say so ... but it's hard to not notice the lack of history and the appreciation for the time and place, when these things took place.

It's like all the SF, NY, London, Paris, Tokyo stuff in the 60's was an illusion ... just another Russ Meyer film, with a bad poster to tease your memory!

I don't think of anything as "over rated" or "under rated" ... it is what it was and that's that ... and my liking it or not has nothing to do with it ... regardless of "when". But some of the comments are really sad. Embarrassed

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 09 2024 at 07:55
Their post-Welcome Back My Friends... stuff did a lot of harm to their reputation, even if Works Vol 1 was a good and innovative album. 

Plus they were the ones who got the most ruthless criticisms in the 2nd half of the 70s for self-indulgent, pretentious and overblown, after the ruinous and failed orchestral tour. In hindsight it's hard to imagine how neither their management nor their accountants nor themselves could make such a huge mistake when judging the foreseeable profit & loss statements of that tour, but the fact is that they made it, of 100+ foreseen shows only 15 could be finally made with the orchestra, and they were still lucky that most fans who had bought their tickets to see a show of ELP with orchestra did not complain and ask for their money back when they finally had to see them as just a trio.

And for whatever other reasons they do not seem to have the appreciation by the younger generations of proggers, perhaps in part by their ecclecticism, inconsistent output, and the very limited presence of electric guitar.

But in 1972 they were the top progressive rock band, in the Melody Maker Readers' Poll awards of that year they were elected as best rock band in the world, Keith as best rock keyboard player, Carl as best rock drummer, Greg as best producer and Keith & Greg shared the award as best composers. They were on fire and the awards were celebrated with a concert in which they brought 2 giant Tarkus puppets which threw smoke from the mouth and shooted foam from the cannons.

They purchased a theater in Fulham London as a rehearsal place and also they established Manticore Studios there, where also bands like PFM recorded some albums. Bands like Led Zepp and Jethro Tull went there to rehearse their shows.

Keith was collaborating with Bob Moog in the development of the first polyphonic synth which would eventually become the Polymoog, Carl together with the British Steel Company built his famous custom stainless steel drum kit, and Greg ordered the luthier Tony Zemaitis his custom double neck which would eventually be too heavy and he only used it in the Welcome Back... tour.

In summary, at that time they were the biggest prog band out there. I love them even with their inconsistencies.

Date Posted: May 09 2024 at 22:15
^ apparently Keith ended his association with Bob Moog when a synthesiser they had both been working on together was shipped to Patrick Moraz. (Ken Golden told this anecdote on a y/t show where the Sea Of Tranquillity dudes were discussing a four album battle between CTTE, Red, Lamb and BSS, no prizes for guessing what came last).
Personally I found Works a bit dull at the time. I liked the cheesy side of ELP and they had suddenly got very serious with the Piano Concerto et al. All these years later I like the album a lot (never going to love it I think) but the stain that stayed with them and can never be washed away is Love Beach. The genius band that helped changed the face of music had become invisible. Part of the issue that Emerson and Lake had stopped writing music together and that was when the creativity died. They could surely have put the bad publicity of Works behind them but the horrible decision that was Love Beach will always remain part of their legacy and that's a shame.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: May 10 2024 at 01:13
^Yes Keith was collaborating with Bob Moog in developing the first polyphonic synth (there were a couple of duophonic models but by "polyphonic" here we mean with 3 voices or more). 
During the prototype stages it was called the Apollo and the final production version came out in 1975 called Polymoog.
From 1973 Bob Moog lent the prototype to Keith, who debuted it in the BSS album and he used it in that tour (together with the other prototype Lyra which Keith described as "a Minimoog on steroids" (monophonic) and which never made it to production).

Indeed Bob Moog lent another unit of the Apollo prototype to Patrick Moraz and apparently Keith didn't like this at all.

But the development of this synth was not led by Bob Moog but by a guy called David Luce, who chose for the technology called "divide down" used by the string machines, and this technology while making polyphony much easier, could not produce the full-bodied sounds of a normal monophonic synth, and as a result the timbres produced by the Apollo / Polymoog were rather weak and the programming options were limited.

In parallel Yamaha was also working on a polyphonic synth which came out nearly at the same time in 1975, the huge and super-expensive GX-1, which produced much better sounds at the cost of less polyphony (8 voices while the Apollo / Polymoog were fully polyphonic with 71 voices for their 71 keys). 

Additionally Bob Moog was getting tired and fed up with certain aspects of his company management and was considering selling it (which he did in 1977 to Norlin).

All factors together resulted in Keith ending his long collaboration with Moog and switching to Yamaha from the Works Vol 1 album (and later also Korg). However Keith kept using his iconic modular Moog in the concerts.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk