Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132822
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 12:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: future of prog
Posted By: Hrychu
Subject: future of prog
Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 22:05
Sup. I'm noticing that the majority of progressive rock listeners now are old people, particulary those who had some exposure to prog in its glory days (1970s). But people are mortal. So, when all those people who were prog musicians/listeners in the 70s die, will the progressive rock genre become obsolete/forgotten? What do you think?

My prediction is that the classic 70's albums will drastically drop in exposure. Especially the more non-mainstream/obscure/challenging stuff like Gentle Giant, Le Orme, Camel, Gong, etc. This type of music is already dying and popular pretty much only among senior people.

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Replies:
Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 22:49
While agree that the 70-centricity will recede, I think the more challenging bands will remain popular in the community than the mellow ones. Many musician friends I know who came to prog through metal or jazz-metal really dig KC, Kansas, some Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and usually Yes. And when I show them Gentle Giant, they usually like that too. The symph and neo stuff, like Genesis (especially early), Camel, Renaissance, Marillion, etc. is often their blind spot. Probably because they want the heavy and not the light. That's just my experience.

Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: April 11 2024 at 23:57
The future of prog is already here. It is much heavier than the prog bands of the 70s. And when us Olds (I'm 63) die, there won't be as many listening to ELP, Camel, Genesis, and similar bands.

Some may fare better than others, but I don't see Henry Cow or National Health getting played much.

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:18
Quote Some may fare better than others, but I don't see Henry Cow or National Health getting played much.
I absolutely agree.

-------------

Posted By: MortSahlFan
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:31
I chat a lot on forums and live chat rooms, and the average age is about 25, and they all seem to listen to 70s prog. I think it's because most don't listen to the radio, and just check out whatever is on YouTube..

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:32
Well, based on what I see on RYM (which I use as a source for AP), in recent years the number of top rated progressive releases has gone up considerably, from about five pages of results (200 releases) per year around 2000 to more than 10 pages (400 releases) in recent years.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:47
People still listen to early classical music don’t they? Some of that is quite old isn’t it?!

-------------
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 04:52
How do you notice that the majority are older people?

For this topic to have anything meaningful you need statistics on demographics, not personal observations.

One reason for why the genre demographic would be heavier on the older side is the age of the genre. Prog emerged around 60 years ago and gathered a lot of fans at the time, many who still live to this day. Some decades down the line, that demographic will be gone and you may see a shift in the demographic.

A quick search found this: https://defectormusic.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/progressive-rock-demographics-2020/

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 04:55
Most of the music of the 70s will slowly be forgotten, that's correct. Most of it wasn't that good, just like most of what is being released today is not good, or at least not good enough to become a timeless classic. There are literally millions of releases on RYM. 99% of them are not worth listening to in comparison with the remaining 1% that are just so much better.

I think, also based on what I posted earlier about the popularity of new progressive releases rising on RYM, that the "future of prog" will be centered around new generations of artists and listeners. Having said that, there is/will continue to be a small nucleus of classic releases that will always be played, albums like DSOTM or CttE are just too good to fade away.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:52
I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writting classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 06:32
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writing classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

Hi,

May I change this somewhat?

Very few folks start what they do because they wanted to write something, or paint something or play something. Most of them, eventually developed beyond a certain point, which showed a completely different quality from (let's say) a student.

Being young or old, is not exactly a requirement for an artist, although there is a lot that can be said for youth, and its tendency to reject the "rules" (so to speak), in the end, they end up becoming the folks that create a new set of "rules" ... and few of them are varied enough to continue being a rebel when they are in the 60's or 70's.

The main issue, is our ability to be able to find out who "has it" and "who doesn't" (and is just faking their way through it) ... and there are many ways .. some believe in numbers, and some don't. Some folks don't need the numbers and stand out ... for what they do, and you can always use someone like a Frank Zappa as a perfect example ... and they end up creating the numbers that no one believed in!

In the end, there is some "magic" (gosh I hate using that word!!!) in the work that makes us come back to it, and enjoy it ... we still hear Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and so many others, because of that "magic" and we use it the same way for a lot of pop music, jazz music and other examples. That "magic" is hard to define since there is no specific definition to it, but somehow we look at it ... sort of like the bird brain woman that can see you in any spot in the room! 

To me, numbers, are for people that lack the beauty of the totality of the music ( in this example), because they are not going to listen, or rate anything else but the top 10 songs (so to speak) they like ... which in terms of "progressive music" is extremely regressive. But try to say that to a megalomaniac! They are just following the commercial/industrial mode of it all ... because, I suppose, they know about nothing else!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:05
What are these "numbers" that you keep talking about? Ratings? Record sales? House numbers? My social security number? Time signatures? The time of day?

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:31
^Maybe this?

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:44
Or these numbers?

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:50
Nah, he means these...

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 08:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

To me, numbers, are for people that lack the beauty of the totality of the music ( in this example), because they are not going to listen, or rate anything else but the top 10 songs (so to speak) they like ... which in terms of "progressive music" is extremely regressive. But try to say that to a megalomaniac! They are just following the commercial/industrial mode of it all ... because, I suppose, they know about nothing else!

Who do you think this applies to? I have listened to 254 releases of 2023 (for example), and most of those were really low-profile artists, far from any "top 10" list. It seems ironic to me to say that "I'm not going to listen", if indeed this is meant to apply to me. 

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:46
The albums of the 70's have more than proven that they will stand the test of time. Nothing can destroy them. Quite the contrary, the Internet and YouTube have enormously helped and promoted them. 

The big decline has already taken place, in the 80's and 90's, when there was no way to promote the music. But the Internet fixed and changed all that permanently. 70's prog. availability and promotion is stronger now than ever, due to the universal availability of the Internet, and previously rare and out-of print music firmly available.

The music and technology have guaranteed permanence, and there is no reliance on age, memory, and word-of-mouth.

I thought the "future of prog." topic would deal with the changes in prog. since its glory days. There's an obvious lack in originality with new prog. compared to the original innovators who created everything from scratch. To me at least, the future of prog. won't be in new bands, but continuing to celebrate the originals of the 70's.

Posted By: Valdez1
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 10:18

I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writing classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

In the end, there is some "magic" (gosh I hate using that word!!!) in the work that makes us come back to it, and enjoy it ... 

Yep.  Ya know it when you hear it. 
We can't hear it all though.
So much out there, that much of it just passes us by, and on into obscurity.

60 years of prog, you'd think every tree has been climbed. No?
I see hope for the future in avant-garde, krautrock and eclectic prog. But it's not really prog proper IS IT?
I personally don't care if it is or not, I'm glad this site represents all that's new and Magical and INTERESTING.

Prog Metal to a degree, for the younger bunch.

Posted By: Snikle
Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 10:21
I'm in my early 20s and love '70s prog, with any luck I'll be bopping to all those albums on their 100th anniversaries. I like newer prog too of course, my favorite band at the moment is Cardiacs from the 80s and 90s, and I also love Moon Safari, Needlepoint, Black Midi, Squid, Major Parkinson, and plenty others I'm not thinking of now. I love playing prog songs around friends of mine and seeing which ones they like/comment on. Some of them were very into Gong (Camembert Electrique and Acid Motherhood) and Crac by Area when I put them on during a road trip (these folks were already fans of proggy stuff like Black Midi, King Gizzard, Black Country New Road). Another one put some Cardiacs and "Cento Mani e Cento Occhi" into their liked songs to shuffle alongside modern pop. 

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 22:59
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

The albums of the 70's have more than proven that they will stand the test of time. Nothing can destroy them. Quite the contrary, the Internet and YouTube have enormously helped and promoted them. 

The big decline has already taken place, in the 80's and 90's, when there was no way to promote the music. But the Internet fixed and changed all that permanently. 70's prog. availability and promotion is stronger now than ever, due to the universal availability of the Internet, and previously rare and out-of print music firmly available.

The music and technology have guaranteed permanence, and there is no reliance on age, memory, and word-of-mouth.

I thought the "future of prog." topic would deal with the changes in prog. since its glory days. There's an obvious lack in originality with new prog. compared to the original innovators who created everything from scratch. To me at least, the future of prog. won't be in new bands, but continuing to celebrate the originals of the 70's.
What an uninformed opinion. Someone belongs on RegArchives (for regressive rock). If you're stuck listening to The Flower Kings, then sure, there is a lack in originality. But get beyond the bands aping the 70s and there's a wealth of originality in prog rock (and beyond just prog "rock") of the present.

Date Posted: April 12 2024 at 23:27
^ Yes, especially last year (2023) was a really good year for prog, so many strong releases most of which not conforming to any rigid template. Clap

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 05:28
Prog just seems to bump on and on-there will always be people interested in challenging music. 

I view the classic material, including the best things coming out since the '70s, the way I view classical and Jazz. I routinely go back to music as early as the Elizabethan era because John Dowland was the original rock star. Much of my current exploration focuses on newer prog releases, classic Jazz, and filling in the blanks in my classic collection. Charlie Parker, Django Reinhardt, and Ornette Coleman are every bit as relevant today as they were when they were active. Popularity fades, but quality art has timeless durability. As long as quality music remains available, it will be explored by the adventurous.

Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 06:26
I’m currently learning to play Beethoven’s moonshine sonata. Seriously progressive stuff

Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 07:35
The Elizabethan Era… I’ll have to check it out.

Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 07:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I’m currently learning to play Beethoven’s moonshine sonata. Seriously progressive stuff

Moonshine sonata?! LOL I don't know that one. Was Beethoven a bootlegger? LOL

Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 08:35
I just translated it from the German “Mondschein” … too literally. I stand corrected, it’s called the moonlight sonata.

Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 08:38

I just translated it from the German “Mondschein” … too literally. I stand corrected, it’s called the moonlight sonata.

I wasn't trying to correct you, accidental humor is awesome. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 14:30

Hi,

May I change this somewhat?

Very few folks start what they do because they wanted to write something, or paint something or play something. Most of them, eventually developed beyond a certain point, which showed a completely different quality from (let's say) a student.

Being young or old, is not exactly a requirement for an artist, although there is a lot that can be said for youth, and its tendency to reject the "rules" (so to speak), in the end, they end up becoming the folks that create a new set of "rules" ... and few of them are varied enough to continue being a rebel when they are in the 60's or 70's.

The main issue, is our ability to be able to find out who "has it" and "who doesn't" (and is just faking their way through it) ... and there are many ways .. some believe in numbers, and some don't. Some folks don't need the numbers and stand out ... for what they do, and you can always use someone like a Frank Zappa as a perfect example ... and they end up creating the numbers that no one believed in!

In the end, there is some "magic" (gosh I hate using that word!!!) in the work that makes us come back to it, and enjoy it ... we still hear Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and so many others, because of that "magic" and we use it the same way for a lot of pop music, jazz music and other examples. That "magic" is hard to define since there is no specific definition to it, but somehow we look at it ... sort of like the bird brain woman that can see you in any spot in the room! 

I like the term "Magic" you are using. That magic is what makes us play a song/album/symphony, etc. over and over again. That magic inspires other artists to continue pushing the envelope and coming up with new ideas/sounds/genres etc. That magic, that pure genius is what separates great music/artists, from the rest, and that's what keeps the wheel going around. That's the magic I'm sure will never disappear. 

Posted By: Onslow
Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 14:59
This is a no brainer.

The future of prog is certainly secure. It continues swimmingly, thank-you.

Last I looked, there are two/three new prog BANDS popping up every day.
That says something.

Beats the heyday of prog in early seventies.

"Prog? What prog?" Onslow asked, disingenuously.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 16:30
To answer the OP's question I think prog will survive. Many of the so called "old" listeners have children who are fans and some even have grandchildren who are fans. Then there's probably a lot of younger people who discovered prog on their own who will keep prog going for who knows how long. If you look at the birthdays at the bottom of the forum page you will see that the prog fans on here are of many different ages. Id' say it's pretty spread out.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 16:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

To answer the OP's question I think prog will survive. Many of the so called "old" listeners have children who are fans and some even have grandchildren who are fans. Then there's probably a lot of younger people who discovered prog on their own who will keep prog going for who knows how long. If you look at the birthdays at the bottom of the forum page you will see that the prog fans on here are of many different ages. Id' say it's pretty spread out.

Good time to say it, happy birthday!

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: April 13 2024 at 18:31
With the dawn of people being able to make prog albums literally on their phones, I think it's a safe bet to say it's secure

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:40
The future of Prog will stop at my death, unless I can find a way to bring my iPhone up there and listen in a total spiritual world.

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 04:05
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

With the dawn of people being able to make prog albums literally on their phones, I think it's a safe bet to say it's secure

How many of those are going to be any good though?

We need young musicians who actually listen to classical music (as the great prog musicians of the 70's did) and understand what makes a coherent composition. Absent that, you get a lot of the technical w**kery and "avant-garde" nonsense that we hear in recent years. The musicians may be very skilled, but they have no compositional sense.

Posted By: Floydoid
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 04:09
^I totally agree... music needs a soul and spirit too which you will never get from whatever digital 'wizardry' you employ.

-------------
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'

Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 07:51
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

^I totally agree... music needs a soul and spirit too which you will never get from whatever digital 'wizardry' you employ.

Hi,

Or from the copies, and supposedly inspired by someone or something. In the end, the "magic" comes from within, not without!

The only strange thing is that I have always thought that music was always "progressive", as if the Stravinsky's and other 20th century composers did not move from the more standardized stuff into more adventurous material, only for the "music" to go backwards with the C. Berry's and such ... and then in the 1970's we finally decided that the new stuff out there was progressive. In essence, they came back to something that all music had lost due to the commercial era that would only play the simplest of melodies and songs for the audience.

All in all, for me, it has always been progressive, and that is the reason why sometimes I do not review or discuss many works, which to me are not really special in the history of it all. The only saddest thing is when an artist goes "backwards" because of bizarre comments by reviewers ... and while I can understand the need for a dollar or two, in the end, I tend to wonder where the heart truly lies ... repeating itself, instead of maintaining an independent creativity.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:34
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

The Elizabethan Era… I’ll have to check it out.

Dowland is definitely worth checking out-he’s one of Steve Howe’s major influences. Paul O’Dette is a lutenist who did a very elaborate rendition of his catalog on the Harmonia Mundi label. The Boston Consort does good renditions of the vocal works. 

Liner notes and other texts discuss the meaning of the lyrics (entertaining ribaldry) and recount Dowland’s antics in Elizabeth’s court and elsewhere, which nearly got him beheaded a few times. If he were alive today he’d probably be a metaller.

Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:52
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

We need young musicians who actually listen to classical music (as the great prog musicians of the 70's did) and understand what makes a coherent composition. Absent that, you get a lot of the technical w**kery and "avant-garde" nonsense that we hear in recent years. The musicians may be very skilled, but they have no compositional sense.

Maybe you haven't listened to the best releases? I agree that although for example 2023 was a magnificent year for prog, some many albums were (and are still being) released that it is more difficult to find the outstanding ones. 

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 17:56
Worry not, Grasshopper.... the future of prog will be secure with the youth.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 22:43

This take is nonsense as it assumes that many young musicians who play music in the prog sphere don't listen to classical (many do, and "classical" is a pretty wide umbrella genre), AND that one HAS to listen to it to make good prog (many don't and the music is just as good). So widen your scope, not only of what newer prog you listen to, but of what qualifies as "prog" or "good prog" or even "good" music. If you can't handle a little experimentalism and prefer more structure, or just prefer older recording/production techniques, then just admit that it comes down to your taste rather than lambast musicians of my generation with uninformed opinions.

Posted By: PrograhamLincoln
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 22:49

I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writting classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

Agreed. Also, young and future composers will still want to write conceptual works, and if they do this in a rock mode, they may accidentally write and release prog albums.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 14 2024 at 22:57
I'm just wondering when the thread will descend into the usual argument of what prog rock is. Is it a style or is it an attitude? Does seem they are divided into 2 seperate camps.
If you take any notice of ratings and rankings then PA's top 30 list is mostly 1970's albums. That's when it happened. Latterly it's hard to pin down what it is although even now there is a rewriting of history as to what prog was in the 70's with the likes of Roxy Music, 10CC and Supertramp lumped in somehow. It's not so much that the music evolves it's just that everyone wants to talk about music that is 'creative' and then apparently it all becomes prog. We either draw the boundaries or not. The less we draw them the more we are just talking about music generally and what is good and what isn't. Most agree that manufactured pop music is carp but that's about it. 

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 00:01
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

This take is nonsense as it assumes that many young musicians who play music in the prog sphere don't listen to classical (many do, and "classical" is a pretty wide umbrella genre), AND that one HAS to listen to it to make good prog (many don't and the music is just as good). So widen your scope, not only of what newer prog you listen to, but of what qualifies as "prog" or "good prog" or even "good" music. If you can't handle a little experimentalism and prefer more structure, or just prefer older recording/production techniques, then just admit that it comes down to your taste rather than lambast musicians of my generation with uninformed opinions.

If you don't have the understanding of Classical that I'm talking about, you get Mars Volta and black midi instead of KC, GG and Yes. Some may be fine with that, but I'm basically saying those newer bands are infected with a kind of "Punk" attitude which compromises their Prog aspects. This attitude is basically "it doesn't matter how much you know about music, just be creative bro". It's a poison that is ubiquitous in modern music. Take a look at any recent yearly chart on RateYourMusic. I think the main reason it's 95% total trash is for the very reason I'm saying. The approach appears to be more "let's throw cool sounds at the wall" than any kind of real attempt at composition or songwriting.

So no, it does matter that you know the fundamentals of music and have an acquaintance with the masters of Classical, especially if you're making Prog. Where's the broader view of musical history? If all you do is listen to a bit of KC, Zappa, GG and Mr. Bungle and think you can make prog now (black midi), you're going to be limited in what you're capable of. Experimentalism is fine so long as the fundamental composition is solid. It can't be a replacement for actual musical depth. For the most part, it should be a "spice" rather than the main dish.

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 00:20
^ I don't think that kind of snobbery is helpful, but you do you. 

Have you looked into the Black Midi musicians and what their musical background is?

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 07:48

^ I don't think that kind of snobbery is helpful, but you do you. 

Have you looked into the Black Midi musicians and what their musical background is?

HI,

I'm not sure that the "background" is that important, although I would not argue that it does help to a degree. However, there are many musicians that are self taught that made it very big, and in some ways, it's like the work they did is not valid as we don't have a "background" ... 

Progressive material, however, did have quite a few folks that were fairly well educated when it came to music, and the Berlin folks is probably the one spot where there were a lot of modern composers that helped influence a lot of the new music. Both Schulze and Froese, and all members of CAN (except Damo), were very highly educated folks as well ... and we don't have to check their background to know they put together an amazing amount of music.

England might differ a bit, but some of the areas were definitely educated, Canterbury being the one area where folks were musically more advanced than half the folks in rock music at the time. 

For America, just about all of it is reactive and against the establishment in some ways when it comes to the start of the progressive/psychedelic days. But they made it clear to a lot of people that it was about how it all felt, not how much it was studied ... and to this day, folks still wonder/say ... wtf was Jack Casady doing on that bass? And he is rarely anointed with a nice compliment. I don't know much about their "education" but based on the playing, I would think that JC was fairly well educated. The Grateful Dead is another story ... in the end, JG came off as very well educated musically, but no one or any biography discusses that much, and his later years doing solo and duet shows totally improvised once or twice weekly and that is probably how he studied his instrument ... 

We should not trash "self-taught" a whole lot ... I suppose that many of us will sit here and think most rap is not good because there is no education behind it (usually), but that would be a nasty generalization about a race, and is not fair. There is some value in their "voice" ... even if we do not consider it progressive. And then we can go back to Gil Scott Heron (The Last Poets) and I would say that a lot of their stuff was actually very well educated!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 08:29
^ When I'm listening to newly released music, I try not to read anything about the musicians involved. I want to experience the music as unprejudiced as possible. Then I'll assign a rating, which I know you don't like because it's "numbers" ... but it is simply a way to say whether the music moved me which other users can immediately understand, especially when visualised as tiers ("good", "great", "awesome" ...). Upon further listening I'll write a blurb or even a longer review. I usually find out about the musicians much later ...

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 09:48
I commonly am not that interested in the background other than, perhaps, to find other related projects. I'm not one who likes to read much about bands or music artists, or about music generally. I felt differently with film. I like to listen to music that I think will be or find to be of interest. I like to listen to black midi. I love a lot of music that has post-punk/ punk qualities, much of which I find progressive (if not so much typically Prog genre). I like classical music, and when I want classical I would often prefer to listen to classical music composers than those who emulate it and absorb it into a rock framework. Doesn't mean I don;t love things such as Focus' Hamburger Concerto or William Sheller's Lux Aeterna. I disagree that 95 percent is total trash in those charts and that just says something about your biases, not the music itself. I would doubt you would even know the music well enough to make such a statement fairly even taking your own biases and frameworks for quality assessments into account.

...If you don't have the understanding of Classical that I'm talking about, you get Mars Volta and black midi instead of KC, GG and Yes....

Or you sort of get both. Just as some might be interested, black midi has covered King Crimson (and I find similarities between black midi and KC).

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 11:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

...If you don't have the understanding of Classical that I'm talking about, you get Mars Volta and black midi instead of KC, GG and Yes....

Or you sort of get both. Just as some might be interested, black midi has covered King Crimson (and I find similarities between black midi and KC).

I attempted to like this version.  

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 11:41

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Good time to say it, happy birthday!

A little bit late in responding but thanks! 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 13:16
Prog will last until the end of time. Just like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

Mark my words.

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 17:51
The future belongs to the young. 

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 18:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: April 15 2024 at 23:25

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

If you don't have the understanding of Classical that I'm talking about, you get Mars Volta and black midi instead of KC, GG and Yes. Some may be fine with that, but I'm basically saying those newer bands are infected with a kind of "Punk" attitude which compromises their Prog aspects. This attitude is basically "it doesn't matter how much you know about music, just be creative bro". It's a poison that is ubiquitous in modern music. Take a look at any recent yearly chart on RateYourMusic. I think the main reason it's 95% total trash is for the very reason I'm saying. The approach appears to be more "let's throw cool sounds at the wall" than any kind of real attempt at composition or songwriting.

So no, it does matter that you know the fundamentals of music and have an acquaintance with the masters of Classical, especially if you're making Prog. Where's the broader view of musical history? If all you do is listen to a bit of KC, Zappa, GG and Mr. Bungle and think you can make prog now (black midi), you're going to be limited in what you're capable of. Experimentalism is fine so long as the fundamental composition is solid. It can't be a replacement for actual musical depth. For the most part, it should be a "spice" rather than the main dish.
You keep saying things that newer bands/artists do like they are bad things (and it's erroneous to assume that all, or even most of them, do, but that's another issue). You also claim to know that all the classic era musicians you listed actually have that much of a background in Classical music (which, again, is a brooooaaaaad genre, that covers many styles that Zappa and Fripp enjoyed, but you'd probably label as "experimentalist cr@p"). Many of them did not, and if they did, didn't actually receive formal training. Which shouldn't matter. And many of those artists see it as an upside to not have that training so as not to pigeonhole their own creativity. 

None of it is good or bad, it just is. Once again, it's ok to not like it, but just admit that it comes down to your taste and not the talent of the musicians. For every band that actually reaches for something, like black midi, Bubblemath, you get some band that professes to love Mussorgsky and Yes and it just sounds like rehash after rehash (Karfagen, Karmakanic, etc.).

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 00:42
^ There definitely is "good" and "bad" music out there, objectively. But it takes a lot of experience to be able to assess the quality, and we all have our biases in how we determine and weigh the criteria. Some people are biased heavily towards the classic prog style, if there even is such a thing (even classic Yes sound really different from classic Genesis, for example). And some people are also biased towards the classic musicians they grew up listening to, and against newer generations of musicians which they feel are like imposters, claiming previous discoveries as their own. Then on the other hand there are those who look for experimentation above all else, nothing can sound like it's been done before, resulting in dissonant/noisy music that is practically void of (musical) substance. 

To me, this all seems silly. Just listen to a release and you'll know, intuitively, if you found it to be bad, good, great or even awesome. Listen to it again after some time, maybe also under different circumstances, and your feeling about it may change. You can add some analysis on top, but IMHO the best we can do is to just listen and communicate how we felt about what we heard.

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 01:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The future of prog is already here. It is much heavier than the prog bands of the 70s. And when us Olds (I'm 63) die, there won't be as many listening to ELP, Camel, Genesis, and similar bands.

Some may fare better than others, but I don't see Henry Cow or National Health getting played much.

Henry Cow and National Health have NEVER been played much. I grew up in the 1970s, and other than me there was only ONE person who liked them in our entire school. But Hatfield and the North and National Health especially keep influencing younger new bands, which shows SOME people are still discovering AND loving them. They're always going to be a minority taste, just like (for example) Flann O'Brien's novels or Utagawa Kuniyoshi's woodblock prints, but albums such as OF QUEUES AND CURES sound so fresh and imaginative they'll always find new converts.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 02:36
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Mark my words.

How will we mark your words if we're all long gone?

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Archisorcerus
Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Mark my words.

But, aren't you Shakespeare? Star

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 04:38
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Mark my words.

But, aren't you Shakespeare? Star

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 06:45

Hi,

With one HUGE difference. The young tend to do their own thing, not someone else's!

You really think Stravinsky would have gotten where he did by doing some other local, and known music of the time? 

It's not, necessarily, about being young ... it's about being "stubborn" enough to do your own thing, and not give a cahoot about anything else. Weird that you STILL don't see that in the ranks of Progressive Music, specially in the late 60's and early 70's ... very few of them played covers, and just went out their own way. I kinda do not think of The Nice, or later ELP playing "covers" in fun stuff that gave them a mental break! 

The really special progressive folks NEVER played covers or anyone else's material!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 06:53
^ Hard to parse, I'm assuming there are a couple of extraneous "not"s in there. 

BTW: Stravinsky had all sorts of musical influences, Tchaikovsky for example.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 12:41

Mark my words.

LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 12:50

^ Hard to parse, I'm assuming there are a couple of extraneous "not"s in there. 

BTW: Stravinsky had all sorts of musical influences, Tchaikovsky for example.

Hi,

I lived with a band for 6 months and played with them a wee bit while learning. They were specially good, doing their own material which the bass player and the drummer had written, and not bother with any other anything. The bass player was inspired by Roger Waters and Rush ... but the concept piece that he had written, was over an hour long and was special and had some neat moments. They stuck to it for the most part, and you could see the value of getting to know their own material, instead of the stuff that you hear at the Hotel circuit in America, which is mostly top ten ... the musicians involved are not likely to go very far.

When they did not get the reception they wanted one time, some members of the band kinda gave up and decided they needed some covers to get the audience going. The band was over 3 months later!

If you had been around so many writers, as I was when young, you would notice a very distinct difference which is the mark of an "artist" ... and many folks, stood up for themselves with a very strong palate and discussion about talent. Gabriel Garcia Marquez might have read others, and been influenced by someone else ... but he knew the secret to his work, was his own vision. Pablo Neruda is the same thing, and ended up, inadvertently becoming a voice for some freedoms that were being taken away in Chile. Albert Camus, even went so far as to say that he hated most folks that thought they were writers, and all they were doing was creating pulp fiction. Jean Genet, turned things around some so one could not really tell what he was about in reality ... but by the time you read "Our Lady of Flowers" and a couple of other things, you realize quickly that he is intentionally throwing a finger at a lot of machinations and commerciality of it all. 

The hard part of a lot of rock music, and its attempt to make it, is more about the success of the band financially, than it is about any artistic definition of their work ... and we forget how much the folks that we love and are inspired by that became known as "progressive" ... in fact did not exactly do covers in a bar. There are always exceptions, of course, but Jimi went out to blow the whole thing ... the writing was great but the voice that created it did not help the song come alive ... and Jimi's version became the watchtower for us to realize how important some things can be and how much it mattered and was valuable.

Again, influences are fine, but if you wanted to make it in the world with a band, you would be doing your own material and make sure that you could improve on it, to be noticed ... go ahead and do covers and see if anyone is going to pay attention ... to me that is the definition of a musician or an artist. The musician gives in to things around him/her and the social everything ... the artist? Nope ... I paint what I see. I play what I hear. I write what my movie shows. 

It becomes the intuition, rather than what we, as FANS, think it should be. 

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 12:53

I lived with a band for 6 months and played with them a wee bit...

Ah, the playful pleasures of being a groupie.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 13:05
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

I attempted to like this version.  

If I try to like music, I fail. I enjoy it, but I'm not that keen on it overall (instrumentally it's quite faithful), but it seemed to be relevant to King Crimson776's commentary. Mind you, I have only listened to it a couple of times, (I have listened to the KC original many times). There are some really interesting and creative takes on other's music (adaptations) but this one not so much imo. It's skilful however. By the way, some share their disdain for covers/ variations, but there are many that I love and find worthwhile in their own right.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 14:18
I prefer Todd Rundgren's version.

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 15:20
^ That's great. I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm partial to Caballero Reynaldo's "21st Century Country Man" off his 2015 album, In The Lounge of the Naldo King.    

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 15:37
^ As I am partial to Shining's interpretation:

Cool

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 18:22

Hi,

Actually, two of us worked in the same place, in a house of pies and bakery. We turned the garage into a studio.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 18:28

Hi,

Actually, two of us worked in the same place, in a house of pies and bakery. We turned the garage into a studio.

Ah, very cool. It rather made my silly associative brain imagine, in part, a garage band version of Premiata Forneria Marconi (Award-winning Marconi Bakery).

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 19:01

^ As I am partial to Shining's interpretation:

Cool

Now that's re-imagined!!... Killer!

Posted By: Stigfzm
Date Posted: April 16 2024 at 21:50
Well, actually prog is not the only case. In fact, the whole genre of rocking music is definite to face the same problem of exposure. We can put another musical genre as a comparison: Classical Music. As Sir Paul McCartney once opined in his days in the Beatles during an interview, "I think rock n' roll is today's classical music", he just embraced the predominance of rock music in the market over the real classical music at that time and admitted the popularity of classical music before that of rock. However, I think, there's an undertone there: rock music will face the same promblem of classical music----- being dated. Just look at sales, you will see the Asian groups and pop electrical songs heading the hit list for a long time. There is certain rock groups which gain popularity just for a while, however. The whole rock genre has already experienced lack of exposure and low sales. It appears to be secondary in the music market. Just like classical music during the 1950s and 1960s. 
    And the classical 70s prog, obviously, is among the lowest of low in the hierachy of rock due to its issues like being too difficult to start with and being too bourgeois or elite-like. What's more, I think prog's mission to influence musicians has come to a halt these days. When we talk about 70s music, definitely, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP are big names we can't avoid whose influence was still carried into the 80s when Talking Heads, Marillion, Rush stepped up to the forefronts whith their legacies. (Btw: We can also make a bold claim: no prog in 70s, no Bohemian Rhapsody.) Math rock, opera rock, to name a few, all inherit prog's boldness in blending different musc elements. Even Kurt Kobain received KC's power of Red and started the legend we all know. But, now just tell me, besides new prog, have any famous rock stars during the two decades after 2000 specially mentioned 70s prog as the greatest impact and gained predominance over pops or massive popularity Dream Theatre, Tool, and the likes once had who can ascertain their roots back in 70s? Pretty rare. And the strak reality is, many new young fans are drawn to prog simply because of the publicity of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures instead of modern rock bands.
   There's another fact. I keep in contact with many rock fans. Some of them like prog but hate Keith Emerson especially. Their thinking is very simple: who the hell will be insterested in rock interpretation of classical songs that nobody actually listens to or even cares, which will take back to my aforementioned point on rock and classical music.
    But, what people must admit is that if someone delves into quintessential rocking music, rather than electrical pop sh*ts, those big names of prog are inevitable. They just stand there. Nobody can circumvent. The Beatles designed a blueprint of rock music and prog was one of the most outstanding pioneers to reinvent it. Their musicianship decides their characters: they are not postitutes to give pleasure, rather the cynical Diogenēs to push limits, explore boundaries. So, that is why when ELP started to embrace extravagance during mid 70s, their doom was inevitiable. And all classical prog bands died soon. 
   Still, new tech and interpretation of music helps to inspire kids to develop new prog of thier own. They put a completely different complexion over prog and ensure its continuity. Prog is not going to be doomed in the future. It just lives in another form we might not be familiar with.

Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 00:18

I resemble that remark! 

I have a Mellotron app on my iPad that is drop-dead AMAZING!!  In fact, it is the same one that Fripp & Company used onstage when I saw their "An Evening with the Elements" show at Chicago's Vic Theater!  

It is an amazing time for making music, but just making squeaky little sounds is not enough.  There has to be a modicum of talent behind it, honesty, and dedication to craft.  

The future of prog is secure.  

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33911/photo-of-fripp-and-his-ipad" rel="nofollow - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33911/photo-of-fripp-and-his-ipad

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 00:38
^ Yes, some people who who frown upon the new digital tools would be quite surprised if they knew that many of their favorite artists from the 60s/70s are embracing them. It's MUCH easier to make (as in record/mix/master) great music nowadays, and there are many more musicians doing it. This means that there are a lot of mediocre releases (since not everyone is talented), but also many awesome ones. Now we only need tools to find the hidden gems Big smile

Posted By: alainPP
Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:06
Hello, I come back to this major post: prog has been dead since the advent of punk, then thanks to Marillion and Twelfth Night it was reborn from its ashes to return to the beginning of grunge... In fact, it's more of a sound that has evolved over time in my opinion, a sound that means that today we can love the sounds of the 70s if we open up to those of the 2020 decade, based on metal, folk and post rock. Otherwise rock will definitely be dead (go listen to Pure Reason Revolution, Leprous and Kyros for example to understand that energy is also needed in today's prog)

-------------
le prog rend jeune

Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:42

Hi,

With one HUGE difference. The young tend to do their own thing, not someone else's!

You really think Stravinsky would have gotten where he did by doing some other local, and known music of the time? 

It's not, necessarily, about being young ... it's about being "stubborn" enough to do your own thing, and not give a cahoot about anything else. Weird that you STILL don't see that in the ranks of Progressive Music, specially in the late 60's and early 70's ... very few of them played covers, and just went out their own way. I kinda do not think of The Nice, or later ELP playing "covers" in fun stuff that gave them a mental break! 

The really special progressive folks NEVER played covers or anyone else's material!

Oh, I don't know....ELP's "Pictures at an Exhibition" was one long cover, yes?  

Sometimes a cover can be played progressively, like Yes' cover of "America" by Simon & Garfunkel.  That was recorded on the upswing of their progressive evolution as a band, not on the decline. 

I rarely hear young musicians playing covers, except for either practice or for kicks.   I do notice quite a bit of innovation going on, and experimentation.  

To make way for the young, the old gotta die. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:48

^ Yes, some people who who frown upon the new digital tools would be quite surprised if they knew that many of their favorite artists from the 60s/70s are embracing them. It's MUCH easier to make (as in record/mix/master) great music nowadays, and there are many more musicians doing it. This means that there are a lot of mediocre releases (since not everyone is talented), but also many awesome ones. Now we only need tools to find the hidden gems Big smile

Nice reply!  Don't forget, our "heroes" had to record quite a few "mediocre" releases before they hit paydirt with LPs like CTTE, LTIA, Foxtrot and so forth.  

Thanks to this website, I find quite a few gems, hidden or in plain sight, in music.  Some of the new prog from Scandinavia is very impressive for example!  

I wonder if the new King Crimson clone "Beat" is going to make some original music?  I wish they had selected Michael Keneally instead of Steve Vai.  I saw Keneally solo over Fripp's Soundscapes in concert, he was brilliant!!  We'll see!

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 05:31
"It's difficult to make predictions, especially about the future." (Niels Bohr)

I say the world is heterogeneous and will still be. Cultural unification and diversification are going on at the same time. Certain music may survive through small minorities who are interested, while the big business will go elsewhere, at it has already done for a long time.  Some of these minorities will die out, some won't (it won't help that the generations who saw prog taking off will vanish, but we can be rather optimistic about somebody carrying on the torch). The old prog rock vs. progressive discussion is also important here, but actually to some extent both sides of the coin may survive, classical 70s prog rock may continue having some small but dedicated following, and the innovative part of the younger generations will progress, but chances are they will not necessarily progress in the directions where the older generation would want them to go. Whether what comes out would still be associated in any way with "progressive rock" is anyone's guess, but that has already been a broad church in the seventies, which was and is a good thing for sure, and helpful for survival

Of course most minor bands will be forgotten but then there may be the odd exception, maybe a few hundred people worldwide who still fly the flag of, say, Zeuhl or whatever, in 2100, and be it just for taking pride of being different.

Conclusion: What do I know? 

Posted By: AJ Junior
Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 11:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Of course most minor bands will be forgotten but then there may be the odd exception, maybe a few hundred people worldwide who still fly the flag of, say, Zeuhl or whatever, in 2100, and be it just for taking pride of being different.

That'll be my kids one day for sure Smile

-------------
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 17 2024 at 15:59
Originally posted by Stigfzm Stigfzm wrote:

Well, actually prog is not the only case. In fact, the whole genre of rocking music is definite to face the same problem of exposure. We can put another musical genre as a comparison: Classical Music. As Sir Paul McCartney once opined in his days in the Beatles during an interview, "I think rock n' roll is today's classical music", he just embraced the predominance of rock music in the market over the real classical music at that time and admitted the popularity of classical music before that of rock. However, I think, there's an undertone there: rock music will face the same promblem of classical music----- being dated. Just look at sales, you will see the Asian groups and pop electrical songs heading the hit list for a long time. There is certain rock groups which gain popularity just for a while, however. The whole rock genre has already experienced lack of exposure and low sales. It appears to be secondary in the music market. Just like classical music during the 1950s and 1960s. 
    And the classical 70s prog, obviously, is among the lowest of low in the hierachy of rock due to its issues like being too difficult to start with and being too bourgeois or elite-like. What's more, I think prog's mission to influence musicians has come to a halt these days. When we talk about 70s music, definitely, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP are big names we can't avoid whose influence was still carried into the 80s when Talking Heads, Marillion, Rush stepped up to the forefronts whith their legacies. (Btw: We can also make a bold claim: no prog in 70s, no Bohemian Rhapsody.) Math rock, opera rock, to name a few, all inherit prog's boldness in blending different musc elements. Even Kurt Kobain received KC's power of Red and started the legend we all know. But, now just tell me, besides new prog, have any famous rock stars during the two decades after 2000 specially mentioned 70s prog as the greatest impact and gained predominance over pops or massive popularity Dream Theatre, Tool, and the likes once had who can ascertain their roots back in 70s? Pretty rare. And the strak reality is, many new young fans are drawn to prog simply because of the publicity of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures instead of modern rock bands.
   There's another fact. I keep in contact with many rock fans. Some of them like prog but hate Keith Emerson especially. Their thinking is very simple: who the hell will be insterested in rock interpretation of classical songs that nobody actually listens to or even cares, which will take back to my aforementioned point on rock and classical music.
    But, what people must admit is that if someone delves into quintessential rocking music, rather than electrical pop sh*ts, those big names of prog are inevitable. They just stand there. Nobody can circumvent. The Beatles designed a blueprint of rock music and prog was one of the most outstanding pioneers to reinvent it. Their musicianship decides their characters: they are not postitutes to give pleasure, rather the cynical Diogenēs to push limits, explore boundaries. So, that is why when ELP started to embrace extravagance during mid 70s, their doom was inevitiable. And all classical prog bands died soon. 
   Still, new tech and interpretation of music helps to inspire kids to develop new prog of thier own. They put a completely different complexion over prog and ensure its continuity. Prog is not going to be doomed in the future. It just lives in another form we might not be familiar with.

Maybe English is not your first language but that is still a truly great post nevertheless. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 07:32

Hi,

Bizarre notion .. to say the least, and it just shows how much "music" so many rock aficionados look at music history ... there are no less than at least 20/25 recordings of the whole thing that can be discussed, all of them, (many times) considered different interpretations, but all with the same title and "complete".

If there were versions by Leonard Bernstein or Herbert von Karahan, I would have them in my collection. 

It's tough saying this ... and when you see the live performance of Jeff Beck doing one of the best known arias, we still can not appreciate it, and still look at it as just another rock song solo and what not.

Please show how well versed you are in music ... instead of delineating something that is only a "cover" in rock terms because we dislike classical music and tend to shine on any band doing it. And before ELP's version, The Nice had also done many pieces of classical music.

I rarely hear young musicians playing covers, except for either practice or for kicks.   I do notice quite a bit of innovation going on, and experimentation.  

To make way for the young, the old gotta die. 

Innovation and experimentation has very little to do with age. There are just as many (comparatively speaking) experimenting, today, that are young and old all the same. Innovation has to do more with your internal person, than it does "music", or some kind of colorful bullmerde, that folks might think explain what the experimentation and improvisation is all about ... 

The real issue is the education, and places like PA ... posting stuff that is demeaning to the "talent" that likes to improvise and experiment ... because in the end, it tends to intimidate the artist, into thinking that what he/she is doing is not right, and needs to be redone with a more "recognizable" style and (worse ... !!!) some lyrics so folks know what is going on!

But most of us here, are afraid to say something about experimentations and improvisations, because the words for it are difficult to come by ... in general, if you can not FEEL, and LIVE in these pieces, your ability to say something interesting or of value won't show up!

Please help the music ... not make it look like it is a left over ... that you throw at the dog or cat, or chickens, or pig! Cry

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 08:01
^ Maybe you have too negative a view of covers?

Don't take them so seriously Cool

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 08:08

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 08:27

Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 16:36

Hi,

Bizarre notion .. to say the least, and it just shows how much "music" so many rock aficionados look at music history ... there are no less than at least 20/25 recordings of the whole thing that can be discussed, all of them, (many times) considered different interpretations, but all with the same title and "complete".

If there were versions by Leonard Bernstein or Herbert von Karahan, I would have them in my collection. 

It's tough saying this ... and when you see the live performance of Jeff Beck doing one of the best known arias, we still can not appreciate it, and still look at it as just another rock song solo and what not.

Please show how well versed you are in music ... instead of delineating something that is only a "cover" in rock terms because we dislike classical music and tend to shine on any band doing it. And before ELP's version, The Nice had also done many pieces of classical music.

How well-versed am I in music?  Not sure how to answer.  University studies in music (University of Illinois), former bandmate with Robert Fripp's GuitarCraft student (the amazing Lon Jones), I eschewed a career in professional music to pursue science and research.  Both exist comfortably in my mind.  I'm as good on electric guitar as many who are mentioned on this website.  

PA is not an academic research site, M, but a public forum.  Do you deny that ELP's "HoeDown" is a cover?  

I don't post past musical works online since I would need permission of many people to do so.  Let's just say that, when I pick up my Rickenbacker bass guitar, I warm up by playing Chris Squire bass lines such as CTTE.  

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 18:26
[REDACTED]
have this picture of Axltl Rose instead:

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2024 at 21:56
I like Humble Pie.

Date Posted: April 19 2024 at 00:29

Please help the music ... not make it look like it is a left over ... that you throw at the dog or cat, or chickens, or pig! Cry

You are, hands down, the most negative person in this forum when it comes to judging musicians and their fans.

EDIT: At least that's how I perceive it. You do you of course, but sometimes I think you could filter out some of the negativity in your posts and focus on the positive aspects.

Date Posted: April 19 2024 at 07:06

You are, hands down, the most negative person in this forum when it comes to judging musicians and their fans.

Hi,

Depends on which side of the mirror you stand! Some folks are afraid of that mirror!

Negative, for the sake of negativity, is wrong and down right bad. I am not exactly being negative, as much as I am trying to challenge the status quo ... which has a tendency to not say anything and make a comment on a thread that is unnecessary.

You didn't get to see a lot of what I did in the history of rock music ... Roger is not the only one that doesn't like it, and he has a point ... when folks are beating each other up for a piece of the pig. And then you make personal statements, because ... well ... I don't know ... maybe you have nothing else to add to the thread!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: April 19 2024 at 09:53
Gwar also did a cover of carry on wayward son. Yeah, there's a lot of strange and unexpected cover songs out there.

Date Posted: April 19 2024 at 10:25

...Depends on which side of the mirror you stand! Some folks are afraid of that mirror!...

This reminded me of something I read and idea I have heard expressed in various ways, "Don't point out other people's flaws because you're not perfect! You have to look in the mirror before you can look out the window."

Quote Negative, for the sake of negativity, is wrong and down right bad. I am not exactly being negative, as much as I am trying to challenge the status quo ... which has a tendency to not say anything and make a comment on a thread that is unnecessary.

I would say that one should not be too confident that one knows what the status quo is and not make broad assumptions about how people think. An issue with you i have had has been that you seem to make negative assumptions about people commonly, how they think, and you don't provide strong evidence or arguments to justify your position, often vague anecdotal evidence. And when people ask for specifics you tend to ignore. I have seen you complain about others perceived negativity; you seem so negative when it comes to your perceptions and assumptions about people. This has led to many, many complaints and many calls to have you banned. I think you may still benefit from holding a mirror to yourself and try to understand how others see you.

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2024 at 10:29
Speaking of covers (I love lots and lots of covers and one of the best covered bands for me is Cardiacs, who I unabashedly love).

"To Go Off and Things" By Cardiacs, performed by Napalm Death

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk