Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19896
Printed Date: June 04 2024 at 17:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The worst voice of prog??
Posted By: RaphaelT
Subject: The worst voice of prog??
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 15:26

There are no bad singers in prog, we love them all. But imagine their voices without the music of the rest of the band, to which it fits perfectly. Who would be the worst singer a cappella??

For me it is ridicolous squeak of Geddy Lee (great musician nevertheless and perhaps it is very painstaking to sing this way).

-------------
yet you still have time!

Replies:
Posted By: video vertigo
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 15:34
I have heard Geddy Lee A cappella and it was good, hes got a great voice and has quite a range.  He's not always too high but can be.  He's not the best singer and not the worst but he is good.

-------------
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 15:40
Most singers in indie neo bands seem to sing off key.

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: Hemulen
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 15:56
Geddy Lee without him, Rush would be great.

-------------
Guss

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 16:02

As with all these types of threads,some people are going to get offended by the singers named in this poll.

Nothing wrong with some good debate,but let's be civil everyone.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 16:02
Originally posted by Hemulen Hemulen wrote:

are you kidding me.... WITHOUT Geddy's vocals... Rush would be just another group of talented musicians.. plenty of groups had great chops that probablly wrote better songs... but Rush had... the shrieking  elf for a vocalist... sometimes it takes just the smallest things to get ahead in the musical world hahahah

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: MattNYR
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 16:43
Even though he is amazing, how about Les Claypool? His voice fits his music well, but his vocals are just so weird.

Posted By: Ridge
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:01

I don't know if he's a bad singer or not, but I just can't stand the guy from the Italian band Jester's Joke. Same for DT's first singer Charlie D.

-------------
Discipline is never an end in it self, only a means to an end.

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:02

quoted for the truth... IMO

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: White Queen
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:09
Geddy Lee gave Rush their unique sound which seperated them from every  other band...although I would agree hes got a bad voice.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:09

They don't seem to have done too badly with him.

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

are you kidding me.... WITHOUT Geddy's vocals... Rush would be just another group of talented musicians.. plenty of groups had great chops that probablly wrote better songs... but Rush had... the shrieking  elf for a vocalist... sometimes it takes just the smallest things to get ahead in the musical world hahahah

I agree 100% with Micky. Maybe that Geddy's squeaky voice is the reason why Rush stood out and caught some attention. There are a lot of bands who are great but who never reach high recognition because at first listen, we can't be offended or surprised by something in their music.

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Posted By: Oxygen Waster
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:47

Why dont we have a positive thread...whats the use in everyone saying what they think is the worst??

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 17:55
Originally posted by Oxygen Waster Oxygen Waster wrote:

Why dont we have a positive thread...whats the use in everyone saying what they think is the worst??

hhahahhah... it's like the T.V. news.... while we all say we love the feel-good stories.... what all like to hear are the stories where someone screws up  hahah.  The negative always grabs people's attention...  the pessimist/realist  in me thinks that it is much easier to find faults rather than to find the positives in things....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

I agree 100% with Micky. Maybe that Geddy's squeaky voice is the reason why Rush stood out and caught some attention. There are a lot of bands who are great but who never reach high recognition because at first listen, we can't be offended or surprised by something in their music.

I've always thought Geddy was not a bad singer, just distinctive  (I still  enjoy listening to their early stuff for the 'shrieking elf' vocals)  He  was  an integral part of the Rush sound and probably did a great deal to get them noticed in a mid 70's prog scene filled with lots of bands trying to catch a break.  Though my favorite is the Kansas story ..... American ingenuity.

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:06

Hey guys this is amazing it is probably first worst singer poll, where Steve Howe gets no votes!! It was worth posting. And nobody votes for Peter Gabriel - seems that theatrical style of singing is really supported by progheads. Not that I'm complaining...

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:10

His voice is incredible, i would like to sing like him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:11
None of them (from this list), they are all excellent singers, especially Lee and Gabriel!!!

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

As with all these types of threads,some people are going to get offended by the singers named in this poll.

Nothing wrong with some good debate,but let's be civil everyone.

thank you- I do somewhat take it personal- look at my sig 

enough already!

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:12
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Hey guys this is amazing it is probably first worst singer poll, where Steve Howe gets no votes!! It was worth posting. And nobody votes for Peter Gabriel - seems that theatrical style of singing is really supported by progheads. Not that I'm complaining...

he's probably getting a free pass... for his stellar harmony work with Yes hahahhah

and who in their right mind other than Progger would vote for Gabriel as a worst anything... other than dressed of course.....

-------------

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:13

From the list I would have to say Fish.  His vocal style gets somewhat tedious to me.  I know he's Scottish, but I prefer not to notice the particular accent of a vocalist.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: stechell
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:23
Geddy The Witch Lee       

Posted By: Tony Fisher
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:25
Peter Hamill. The pits. James Labrie. Would be the pits if Hamill didn't exist.

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by stechell stechell wrote:

Geddy The Witch Lee       

nah.... Geddy the Shrieking elf'  is the best one I've heard hahahhah

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:33

Geddy The Witch Lee       

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by ANDREW ANDREW wrote:

Geddy The Witch Lee       

ahhh... we all love Geddy... don't want anyone to get their panties in a wad.... just some fun at his expense.

-------------

Posted By: Flying Dutchman
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 18:56

James LaBrie, no question.  When DT aren't playing something heavy, he turns it into emo.  Reasonably good when singing metal, awful when singing anything else.

Also, if anyone votes Gabriel, they should be ostrisized from the prog community.  Just kidding, but not really.

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 19:40
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman Flying Dutchman wrote:

James LaBrie, no question.  When DT aren't playing something heavy, he turns it into emo.  Reasonably good when singing metal, awful when singing anything else.

Also, if anyone votes Gabriel, they should be ostrisized from the prog community.  Just kidding, but not really.

(on both points)

-------------

Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 19:44

(on both points)

same thing here (I haven't vote for that poll until you made me think about James Labrie)

-------------

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 19:55

I couldn't disagree more.  I would say James LaBrie is an excellent vocalist.  Maybe he isn't the greatest live, but on studio album he does an excellent job.  Listen to Images and Words or Awake as proof.  I would have to say that Voices and Learning to Live are some of the best vocal parts in progressive metal.  I don't think his singing is anything close to an emo style, if an Prog vocalist sounds emo it would be Jon Anderson.

I don't necessarily agree with Gabriel.  Yeah, he is an ok singer, but I really don't like his singing style.  The theatrics are nice, but once again the accent that creeps into his voices is somewhat displeasing.  Gabriel isn't bad, but he's far from the status you're trying to give him.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: kebjourman
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 21:05

i dont really care for the vocallists from coheed and cambira or mars volta. same with geddy lee. i really dont like high pitched voices.

AND

i  think i would LOVE comus if the guys voice wasnt as high pitched

Posted By: John Gargo
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 21:33
That lady who sings for Renaissance... the higher range vocals just turn me off, like the "La La La"s on Ashes are Burning, for example...

Posted By: Progshrike
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 21:45
Not a fan of Cedric Bixler from Mars Volta. The music's great but he makes it less enjoyable for me, IMHO.

-------------
Did you ever think for yourself? Just once,did you ever think? That's all I want to know>

Posted By: Emiaj
Date Posted: March 06 2006 at 22:21
LaBrie..

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 01:50

Great I'll show that post to a friend of mine who dislikes Gabriel (and paradoxically he taught me to listen to prog)

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 02:06

Steve Howe is one of the greatest guitar players, but for God's sake, this guy shouldn't be allowed to sing in the shower, his voice is simply horrendous.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 02:15
Andy Latimer of Camel and Nick Barret of Pendragon are the worst singers I've heard in prog. Both happen to be excellent guitarists, though.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 02:21

It's obvious that not too many people listen to either The Nice and/or Refugee ...

Lee Jackson is a good bass player ... but hands down the worst "pitch" singer whom I regularly listen to ... his performance on The Nice's cover of My Back Pages is unintentionally hilarious!

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 03:12
Peter Nicholls. He's not a bad vocalist at all, but his voice is not adjusted to IQ music.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 05:15
I hate to think about what LaBrie would sound like if singing a capella - which is a very difficult thing to do, by the way. When you sing without any musical accompaniment, your voice has to be really good to pull it off. I also have my doubts about Fish, who is a great vocalist when backed by a band.

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 09:39
For some reason I have yet to find a prog vocalist that I don't like. I find absolutely nothing wrong with Geddy lee, or james labrie who are my absolute favorite singers. I don't  see how people can possibly find these fantastic singers a weak link in the band or annoying. Some others I have heard some people mention here and in other threads are Jon anderson and the singer for coheed and cambria. I think both of these aregreat singers whose voices do not annoy me the least bit. I am even not annoyed by 1994-1999 era James Labrie singing with his vocal problems. The only one I can possible think of is the singer for Opeth. Don't get me wrong, I think he's fine ringing regularly but I HATE growling vocals and death metal.

It seems vocalists get it VERY hard here where as musicianship gets little critique.

Posted By: BiGi
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 09:54
My choices:

• Geddy Lee (up to Permanent Waves)

• Peter Hammill

• David Surkamp

• Les Claypool

• Billy Corgan (what a pity...he's so gifted a writer!)

• Lee Jackson (though I can bear him more than the others I mentioned)

Annie Haslam of Renaissance has a great voice, but I always get an "ABBA" feeling when listening to her...and that doesn't fit at all with prog rock!

And, by the way, James LaBrie and Peter Gabriel are OUTSTANDING singers (at least in the studio)

-------------
A flower?

Posted By: rockandrail
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:02

The two who for me completely ruin the music of the bands they "sing" in and made me stop following the bands:

Adrian Belew. I wish I could get the master tapes of KC's post Wetton albums and switch off the voice.

Steve Hogarth. The same apply.

-------------
Pierre R, the man who lost his signature

Posted By: Ounamahl
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 13:51
I don't know why people complain about Geddy's voice, I mean the climaxes in 2112 are _mindblowing_
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

-------------
This is an electrified fairytale

Posted By: Ounamahl
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 13:52
someone else: don't know yet! :D

-------------
This is an electrified fairytale

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 14:39
Howe indeed has a voice like a goose-fart on a warm summer evening. Everytime he starts singing on his first solo album it makes me cringe. Even Steve Hackett has a better voice.

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Viajero Astral
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:39
The person who vote for Gabriel never heard Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

His theatrical style is excelent and unique in the Prog scene.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:19
Originally posted by Viajero Astral Viajero Astral wrote:

The person who vote for Gabriel never heard Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

His theatrical style is excelent and unique in the Prog scene.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:21
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

this guy shouldn't be allowed to sing in the shower, his voice is simply horrendous.

Iván

hahahhah.... that's what my wife says... and I sing in the church choir..

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:30
Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

My choices:

• Peter Hammill

• David Surkamp

• Les Claypool

Annie Haslam of Renaissance has a great voice, but I always get an "ABBA" feeling when listening to her...and that doesn't fit at all with prog rock!

And, by the way, James LaBrie and Peter Gabriel are OUTSTANDING singers (at least in the studio)

anyone who says Peter Hammill has a bad voice does not know what he/she is saying. one may not like the way he uses it sometimes, but to say his voice is bad is a mile off. he can sing absolutely beautifully and does at times when it fits the lyrics

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 18:04

Gabriel is as brilliant live as he is in the studio.

Bigi, you get an Abba feeling from the magnificent Annie, open up your ears to the controlled clarity that is Annie Haslam; one of rock's icons.  

Now, to more serious matters, the amount of these silly threads that are continually cropping up are beginning to do my crust in. Fish is simply marvellous, repeat, bloody marvellous!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 18:09
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

My choices:

• Peter Hammill

• David Surkamp

• Les Claypool

anyone who says Peter Hammill has a bad voice does not know what he/she is saying. one may not like the way he uses it sometimes, but to say his voice is bad is a mile off. he can sing absolutely beautifully and does at times when it fits the lyrics

Totally agree with you Jean. In fact, Peter Hamiil is my all-time favorite singer.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 07:21

Interesting fact is that nobody has yet declared that Demis Roussos annoys him (great singer though, but let's face it, all the guys discussed here are great). It is perhaps due to the fact, that nobody knows his solo career (damned pop) or almost nobody ever listened to Aphrodite's Child.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: helofloki
Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 10:10
James Lebrie ;)

Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 10:24

1) Most German neo-prog singers

2) Roine Stolt

3) Andy Tillison

4) Damo Suzuki

5) Greg Lake

6) Nick Barrett

7) Andy Sears (the man who destroyed Twelfth Night)

8) Paul Menel (the man who almost destroyed IQ)

Posted By: Progger
Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 11:05
Poor Geddy always wins these polls

Posted By: OldFatherThames
Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 11:21

A lote of neo singer (i really dont like neo-prog)

And what about the singer of Eloy !! I would love Eloy if he wasnt there !!!

Posted By: RoyalJelly
Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 11:42
     Adrian Belew has a great voice...listen to "City of Tiny Lights", "Frame by
Frame" or "One Time", it's expressive, gutsy and rich. Lee Jackson can have a
real nails on chalkboard effect.

Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 11:58
Originally posted by OldFatherThames OldFatherThames wrote:

A lote of neo singer (i really dont like neo-prog)

And what about the singer of Eloy !! I would love Eloy if he wasnt there !!!

The trouble is he is probably the leader and the founder of Eloy.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 22:34

Better excommunicate me now.  I can't stand Gabriel's voice, and I registered my vote as such.
However, I always view such things as me not "getting it".  No worries.  Plenty of music to go around for everyone. 

Date Posted: March 08 2006 at 23:19

Interesting fact is that nobody has yet declared that Demis Roussos annoys him (great singer though, but let's face it, all the guys discussed here are great). It is perhaps due to the fact, that nobody knows his solo career (damned pop) or almost nobody ever listened to Aphrodite's Child.

And I believe it's right, after leaving Aphrodite's Child, Demis was left alone to make his music, as a matter of facts Aphrodite's Child broke because Artemios Ventouris Roussos  had many discussions with Evengelio Odyssey Papathanassiou (That's their real names, easy to understand why they changed them ) about the line the band should adopt, Demis wanted fast money and easy pop, Vangelis wanted something more adventurous.

Without the talent of Vangelis, Demis music became weak, but his voice was always amazing, deep and powerful, so I can't understand why he was included in this list (Neither Gabriel or Fish).

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2006 at 02:21

Well, in my country Demis Roussos was very popular, especially in the 70s (that decade was a tragedy in my country in musical terms, with small exception of SBB) and for me he was an epitome of prog traitor, who sold himself to the pop. You see this fat, bearded guy, clad in white robes, singing about romantic love - gross.

Nevertheless he did great work in Aphrodite's Child.

And Fish and Peter Gabriel were there for the reason that a friend of mine who introduced me to prog dislikes them (they are great singers and poets, I love Genesis and Marillion, so my friend is right weirdo, isn't he?), so I just wanted to check the response. Hopefully, only few people here on PA do not like Genesis (it's self contradictory to be proghead and dislike Genesis, isn't it?).  

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: progrockgirl
Date Posted: March 09 2006 at 03:58
I think that the singer from Grobschnitt, Wildschwein, has the worst voice in prog. It is shrill and has a piercing quality that makes me cringe. The music is great, however, 

Posted By: Jack-a-lynn
Date Posted: March 15 2006 at 16:59

IMO its the guy from tempest. the band is wonderful, but as soon as that dude starts to sing....

LOL

-------------
"from the moment i could talk, i was ordered to listen." -cat stevens

Posted By: Zweck
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 09:46
James LaBrie, if DT got rid of him it would be a step in the right direction.

Posted By: pavlus
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 13:21
Phil Collins, Roger Waters, Anthony Kiedis (RHCP) James Labrie

Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 14:52
LaBrie is a bit mediocre, that's right

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Peace Frog
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 15:44
James LaBrie and Roger Waters.

-------------
http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: Dr Know
Date Posted: March 17 2006 at 16:41
Jon Anderson

Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 15:14

He could be a bit annoying, right, but I'd rather say his voice is unique, making Yes music celestial.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 15:59
Geddy? The worse voice in prog? You gotta be kidding me!!!

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: March 18 2006 at 16:28

1. IMO, Roger Waters usually doesn't sing, but rather says or yells the words. I think he does a great job of that, for what it's worth.

2. I'm surprised only 2 or 3 people have mentioned Nick Barrett. He's usually called on of the worst. I think he's unique and very talented, however.

3. Yeah, DT were a lot better off with Dominici...

4. Peter Nicholls gets very tiring after awhile.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 09:12

Peter Nicholls is into expression rather than smooth singing

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Cygnus X-1
Date Posted: March 19 2006 at 09:29
The longest person i took to get into was Ian Anderson. Songs like Hymn 43 his voice is just odd. But now I kinda like it, think he did best on Thick As A Brick

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bodins/?chartstyle=DarkSide5Big">

Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 17:42

Yes, he really sings on Thick As A Brick, rather than recitates.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 20:51
Roger Waters voice irritates me much more than Geddy Lee ever would.
It sounds like he's always whining like a spoiled little boy.

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Posted By: emersontarkus23
Date Posted: March 20 2006 at 23:43
I dunno...Adrian Belew's voice really irritates me on some of his ballads, I
have to say...and more times than one, he seems to be doing this weird
thing where he's talking and singing at the same time...using "Elephant Talk"
as an example...I dunno....I like most prog rock singers...

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 02:02

Roger's voice quite emotional, right.

Adrian Belew is not a great singer, right, and Discipline era KC was firstly meant to be strictly instrumental

-------------
yet you still have time!

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 02:28

Well, in my country Demis Roussos was very popular, especially in the 70s (that decade was a tragedy in my country in musical terms, with small exception of SBB) and for me he was an epitome of prog traitor, who sold himself to the pop. You see this fat, bearded guy, clad in white robes, singing about romantic love - gross.

Demis was also very popular here, I listened his music as soloist (and hated oit) long before I heard Aphrodite's Child, and I simply couldn't believe he was the same guy, and less that he was such a good bass player, because during his pop career he mainly sung (I saw a few concerts by him because the dad of one girlfriend was Roussos fan and he was only singing).

And yes his looks were at the least peculiar.

But I insist, his music sucks but he had a great voice.

Ován

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 07:20

that's why Roussos is in this thread.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: DolphinFan
Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 22:00

I think Nick Barrett of Pendragon sounds like Uli Jon Roth. 

For those that haven't heard Uli sing, that's not a complement.

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 22:21
at a loss to think of one that I would consider a ....worst voice of prog...

then again I stay as far away from modern prog as I can.. from what I've heard (one album)... that guy from The Mars Volta 

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 22:31

then again I stay as far away from modern prog as I can.. from what I've heard (one album)... that guy from The Mars Volta 

It's funny you're talking about this guy because I was just having an argument with one of my friends concerning this guy's voice. I just can't stand it

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 22:36
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

It's funny you're talking about this guy because I was just having an argument with one of my friends concerning this guy's voice. I just can't stand it

I was sort of grasping at straws but remember the one time (last time) I listened to an album of theirs, I remember the voice being.... not exactly pleasing to the ear.  Funny thing about that though.... love Magma's vocal work but  some people I know would rather stick their head in a toilet than listen to Magma.  Once again I guess it's all relative....

-------------

Posted By: GeddyRules2112
Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 22:44
Geddy Lee is AWESOME!!!!! End of story.

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 22:57
Originally posted by GeddyRules2112 GeddyRules2112 wrote:

hahahha... inspiration for the 'worst fans of prog' poll  hahahhah.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 23:03

hahahha... inspiration for the 'worst fans of prog' poll  hahahhah.

-------------

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 23:32

Loving the justification.

... Oh, right, the poll.

Ok, here's what I think. It is my belief that a live James LaBrie has the worst voice in prog.

That statement gets me in trouble though, because I am a gigantic Dream Theater fan and I absolutely love his voice in the studio.

But I'm also a realist. And live....

Also, for some reason, I don't like the vocals in the band Glass Hammer. Couldn't tell you why, though. I just don't.

Have a nice day!

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 23:54
Originally posted by Yanns Yanns wrote:

... Oh, right, the poll.

Ok, here's what I think. It is my belief that a live James LaBrie has the worst voice in prog.

That statement gets me in trouble though, because I am a gigantic Dream Theater fan and I absolutely love his voice in the studio.

Have a nice day!

I thought about LaBrie... but don't we expect that standard of vocals from our metal vocalists.

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2006 at 23:56
Originally posted by Yanns Yanns wrote:

... Oh, right, the poll.

Also, for some reason, I don't like the vocals in the band Glass Hammer. Couldn't tell you why, though. I just don't.

Have a nice day!

I voted for James Labrie a bit earlier in this thread. I completely agree with you.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2006 at 04:35

DT is a bit controversial among prog fans.

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: Losendos
Date Posted: March 22 2006 at 04:50

Peter Gabriel fits both  ends of the spectrum extremely good  and extremely bad ( back in NYC) .Steve Howe got my vote.

Worst performance throughout an entire album goes to Phil Collins on Invisible Touch. What on earth was he thinking?

-------------
How wonderful to be so profound

Posted By: Analog_Kid
Date Posted: March 22 2006 at 09:34

I agree!  Listened to Live Scenes from New York - half the performance was out of tune.  Portnoy for DT vocals!

Posted By: ridingonacamel
Date Posted: March 22 2006 at 09:59

Demis Roussos,man you have a bad tense of humour

Posted By: kmich
Date Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:08

For all that said Geddy Lee, it is time for them to join the American Idol fans.

Geddy Lee is a great singer, granted he had to evolve but he spawned many.

Posted By: transend
Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:50

OK, the guy in Glass hammer.

Nick Barrett of Pendragon

Peter Hammil

Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 13:45

Peter Hammill?????? Why Peter Hammill??? He is awesome end of story!!!!!

-------------
yet you still have time!

Posted By: W.Chuck
Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 14:02
James LaBrie and Franz Herde - the worst voices I know.

-------------

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 14:35

Roger waters. I can't stand with his voice. So good that Gilmour saves 'Shine on" alive.

But my main complaint is about Bernardo Lanzetti, or whatever surname this guy has. he was the guilty for the destruction of PFM.

Posted By: moonlapse
Date Posted: March 26 2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by Analog_Kid Analog_Kid wrote:

I agree!  Listened to Live Scenes from New York - half the performance was out of tune.  Portnoy for DT vocals!

Saw James and the boys live 4 days ago, and I thought his vocal performance was excellent.  Best I've heard from him.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk