Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23949
Printed Date: May 26 2024 at 16:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which bands did you first learn of on the internet
Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Subject: Which bands did you first learn of on the internet
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 03:14

With the exception of Van Der Graft Generator, Soft Machine and Can, I had never even heard the names of these bands until I got into the prog archives and Amozon.com. I had never heard of the music of any of these bands b4 I started to explore on the net. No one I know has mentioned these groups to me, it maybe more to do with living in New Zealand since pretty much all the groups never toured here, and b4 the net it was only really serious musical collectors that listened to those groups in my country. Probably only Soft Machine was the only one out of all these bands that was at least known. You may notice that I havn't mentioned the heavy hitters such as Pink Floyd Yes Genesis King Crimson and Jethro Tull (-Tull actually has a close relationship with NZers a lot of people love them, we also have a Jethro Tull resturant in my city Dunedin; its calld Tull's were you can order a bungle in the junge!!! etc) The reason for not mentioning those bands is because they're known to everyone acquaited with prog. Is this the same for your own country? For me the internet has been a delightful revolution for music and resurrecting a lot of these marvellous bands. So please vote and discuss.Smile

Oh yes I forgot Mars Volta are known here but I first discovered them on the net, and they have played in NZ.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 03:42
that's the magic of internet.if it wasnt for internet i wouldn't know a thounsands[good or bad] others bands.Thumbs Up

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 04:21
Every band on this list except for Gentle Giant, Camel, VDGG, Can, Mars Volta, and Tangerine Dream.

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 04:26
I can honestly say I have not "discovered"any bands on the internet.
My discoveries are word of mouth usually, but not via the internet.
The only CD's I have bought via internet recommendations have ben so apalling I don't do that any more.

P-C

Posted By: CaptainWafflos
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 05:10
Every single one except The Mars Volta.

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 06:24
we've certainly come a long way from record store sound booths or headphone stations, i have discovered many prog, rock and jazz bands through the internet -though  not necessarily through reviews which should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the MP3 samples and WAV soundbytes on PA, Amazon and the band's own websites give you a reasonable idea.  let your fingers do the walking!Thumbs Up

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 07:24
Cool question. A lot of the bands that I'm into were introduced to me by a good buddy of mine in Delaware (USA). Satellite comes to mind, however. I visited the Neo page on this very site and thought the album art looked interesting, so I sampled some of their stuff and really liked it.

Soapbox time: Even though the internet has made discovering new music so much easier, I'm fearful that it's eventually going to push the record stores to extinction. In the past two years I've lost 3 music shops-- one because he had a tough time competing with Best Buy and Circuit City, and two others because of the internet (purchasing and downloading). I'm pretty 'old school' and still enjoy perusing the aisles, and luckily I still have a place down in the city that stocks good progressive, or can special order for me; however, I get the feeling they're on borrowed time. OK, off the soapbox now.

E

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 08:20
You've got to be kidding, I've descovered so many bands since joining PA in October last year that I cant remember witch one was first.LOL

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 08:33
From the list:
Magma, Art Zoyd, Dün, Hatfield and the North, UK, Eloy, National Health.
I never learned to like UK and Eloy.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:07
Hi Kiwi!

One of my best friends is from New Zealand, he has moved to Holland were I met him in the early Eighties. Since then we have discovered many bands, thanks to progrock magazines and progrock labels/mail-order services like Syn-Phonic and Laser's Edge.
A few times a years my friend sends loads of progrock cd's/dvd's to his brother in New Zealand who are into progrock thanks to their brother in Holland. Nowadays they surf on the Internet, read the progrock reviews on sites like Prog Archives and then they ask their brother from Holland to send cd's/dvd's to New Zealand because 'Very Down Under' does not really has a very prolific progrock scene Cry ... (nice understatement, isn't it?).
By the way, about your question, I knew all these bands long before Internet but thanks to Internet and Prog Archives I have discovered the Los Jaivas DVD Alruras De Macchu Picchu, Spanish bands Senogul and Zaguan and the Best Of Krautrock DVD (with Jane, Eloy and Novalis)!

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:25
I discovered VdGG via these archives.  I knew of them beforehand, due to my reading about them in my Juicy Lucy CD booklet (the bass player from Juicy Lucy: Keith Ellis, was in VdGG for a short while) and I was very interested by what I read about them online.  I thus found these archives, in the days when they still had MP3 downloads.  I loved what I heard.

Since then there has been no stopping me, I've discovered so much great stuff, including Italian prog, Argentinian prog, Spanish prog, Finnish prog, Swedish prog, Polish prog and more...

My current love is Pain of Salvation.  I didn't think I'd ever appreciate metal, but after getting into Opeth, I'm really starting to appreciate the genre more.

-------------

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:30
numerous - but bands that I actually bought albums from based on internet (mainly this site):

Ange
Ayreon
Balletto di bronzo
Banco
Dream Theater
Explosions in the sky
Flower Kings
Gathering
Gong
Greenslade
GYBE
Harmonium
Mars Volta
Neuschwanstein
Opeth
PFM
Queensryche
Riverside
Sigur Ros
VDGG

to name a few - I'm sure there are more.

-------------
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:31
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

My current love is Pain of Salvation.  I didn't think I'd ever appreciate metal, but after getting into Opeth, I'm really starting to appreciate the genre more.

So, you like Metal now, eh?

Watch out, if you're not careful you'll end up listening to what I listen to (heaven forbid).

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Posted By: GPFR
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:34
TMV, now I love them!

-------------
www.myspace.com/hail_peter

Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:44
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Watch out, if you're not careful you'll end up listening to what I listen to (heaven forbid).

Not all metal, Assaf!

I cannot stand Dream Theater, or bands who are like that.  I also don't like Iron Maiden, Metallica or Power Metal bands.

It's all about the prog side of metal.

I'm seeing Opeth, Tool and lots of other metal type bands in about 11 days time!

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:50
[QUOTE=erik neuteboom]Hi Kiwi!

One of my best friends is from New Zealand, he has moved to Holland were I met him in the early Eighties. Since then we have discovered many bands, thanks to progrock magazines and progrock labels/mail-order services like Syn-Phonic and Laser's Edge.
A few times a years my friend sends loads of progrock cd's/dvd's to his brother in New Zealand who are into progrock thanks to their brother in Holland. Nowadays they surf on the Internet, read the progrock reviews on sites like Prog Archives and then they ask their brother from Holland to send cd's/dvd's to New Zealand because 'Very Down Under' does not really has a very prolific progrock scene Cry ... (nice understatement, isn't it?).

Yep you're right NZ is hell for a prog fan, everywhere else it seems the prog scene is flourishing except here; its like everyone is invited to a party except yourself.Cry

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:52
Spike Milligan was a genius.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:55

Like no otherStar

-------------

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 09:58

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Not all metal, Assaf!

I cannot stand Dream Theater, or bands who are like that.  I also don't like Iron Maiden, Metallica or Power Metal bands.

It's all about the prog side of metal.

I'm seeing Opeth, Tool and lots of other metal type bands in about 11 days time!

I still have hope for you, James LOL It will take time, but in the end we will take over your soul Evil Smile

I wish you to have the best of time in show you're going to see.

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 10:16
I've discovered almost every Prog band I like online. All of them, save Rush and Dream Theater, which I got into through a friend. These two opened my eyes to prog. 

Posted By: eugene
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 10:29
From this list it's TMV, Dun and Henry Cow for me, but I still have to get albums by Dun and Henry Cow

I also first learned about the whole subgenre of post rock over the internet.

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Posted By: N Ellingworth
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 10:39
I only found out about most of that list due to this website Embarrassed and as a result of this website my wallet has commited suicide. Wink

The first band I really started listening to a result of this website was Eloy. Thumbs Up

Posted By: laztraz
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 12:10
    Not on the list but Porcupine Tree and Riverside.

Posted By: sbrushfan
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 12:12
Porcupine Tree, Riverside and classic Yes.

-------------
Some world views are spacious, and some are merely spaced...

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 14:31
PFM.

All Italian prog I learned about here.

Thank God for PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 14:59
that was probably Ayreon.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:03
All with the exception of Can, the Mars Volta, Eloy and Soft Machine...

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:03
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Thank God for PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got that right!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:06

the "ying tong song" and "i'm walking backwards for christmas" are proto -prog classics, why aren't they listed on PA????LOL

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:06
I knew of the "classics" such as Pink Floyd, Yes, etc. My uncle let me hear Gentle Giant and Kind Crimson.

For the most part, the bands ive heard of come from here. Although, my uncle does recommend me some bands, i usually look them up here to know which album to get.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Frasse
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:12
Voted PFM, but they where second to Banco.

Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:15
Kind Crimson LOLLOLLOL

Fred: I think you mean the "On The Ning Nang Nong"

-------------

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 15:34
ALL OF THEM with the exception of Gentle Giant, I discovered thanks to this siteHug

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: UnknownFlow
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 16:33
Hatfield and The North, Caravan, Gong, Egg, National Health... Noticing a trend there? Well I wouldn't of if it wasn't for this wonderful site.

Oh also basically all the Zeuhl stuff, Magma, Dun...

Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 22:37

Just got Dun -eros today  from an order brillant!!! all thanks to this website. Man zheul is a real gem of a style, I didn't know that their was so many prog groups and styles if it wasn't for this website.

-------------

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: May 29 2006 at 22:39
Pretty much every artist I've discovered has been through the internet, Prog or not.

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: Gog/Magog
Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 08:04
The Flower Kings for me

-------------
Some swear they see me weeping in the poppy fields of France

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 08:49
Originally posted by laztraz laztraz wrote:

Not on the list but Porcupine Tree and Riverside.
I hadn't come across PT (or other Steve Wilson projects) until I cam across them on PA.

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 13:25
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I can honestly say I have not "discovered"any bands on the internet.
My discoveries are word of mouth usually, but not via the internet.
The only CD's I have bought via internet recommendations have ben so apalling I don't do that any more.

P-C
Well it all depends on who you listen to. I admit that some of my recommendations have been horrible, but some of the recommendations from this forum have been the best purchases I ever made. You just have to ignore the people who have horrible taste ;-) Like the person who convinced me to get LTE 2 :( I should have gone with Mike Oldfield instead. But it's too late now. And that was probably more my fault that his.

Most of those bands I had never heard of until I came here.

-------------
"Never forget that the human race with technology is like an alcoholic with a barrel of wine."
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum: Because in their hearts, everyone secretly loves the Unabomber.

Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 17:21
I just remembered - best band that I discovered this year is Maneige with their brilliant "Les Porches", and I got to know them via internet, on this very site, and namely thanks to avestin!!! Bravo!!!

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

I just remembered - best band that I discovered this year is Maneige with their brilliant "Les Porches", and I got to know them via internet, on this very site, and namely thanks to avestin!!! Bravo!!!

If you like Maneige try their albums Ni Vent...Ni Nouvelle and Libre Service.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 18:23
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

If you like Maneige try their albums Ni Vent...Ni Nouvelle and Libre Service.

Thanks! These two got on my "to get" list immediately after I've fallen totally in love with "Les Porches". What a band, and what a shame I have never heard about them till two weeks ago!

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Posted By: Zoso
Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 22:04
Anglagard.

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: May 30 2006 at 22:33
     I had a large music collection for a very long time, and then (for reasons I won't go into) I lost it. About three years ago, I set out to rebuild it. I also had just bought my first computer (I did how to use one, and had been online). I made the decision to explore new things. I couldn't have done this so easily without the internet. My collection is now bigger than it ever was (thank you legaldownloads.com). I have replaced a lot of old favorites, but have a huge amount of new ones (at least to me).
    Because of AMG, and PA, I have discovered Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Anglagard, Magma, PFM, IQ, Caravan, Fish's solo albums, Atomic Rooster, Quatermass, and UK. I finally got around to checking out some I had heard of such as Nektar, Camel, and Gentle Giant. Then there were bands I knew, with some albums I hadn't heard like King Crimson, and Yes.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: June 10 2006 at 05:40
Pretty much all of these. Not The Mars Volta, though.

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: June 10 2006 at 05:42
All of the listed besides Gentle Giant, Camel, VDGG, UK, Eloy, Gong, Tangerine Dream... Wait that's not "almost all", at all.

Okay, about a half of that list.

-- Ivan

-------------
sig

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: June 10 2006 at 09:20
Oh, not Tangerine Dream either.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: June 10 2006 at 09:44

Allmost all of em but i hade read preety many music books so i know all the big names. The best discovery this far i made on this site and thats VDGG never heard of em before i came here now my favorite! Thank you prog archives Heart

-------------

Posted By: bruin69
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 20:31
Thanks to this site I've discovered quite a few Italian symphonic prog bands I'd never heard of, and also Änglagård, my favourite new band

Posted By: imoeng
Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:24
just prog bands? oh i listened Dream Theater on the net for the first time.. it was probably 4 years ago...

-------------
http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spmiw7.jpg">

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 05:26
Gentle Giant, Gong, Eloy, Tangerine Dream... almost every band i like

Posted By: toolis
Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 10:26

i already knew all of the bands listed above, but when i discovered PA, i realised that i'm only aware of one tenth of the marvellous world of prog.. i don;t think my lifetime will be enough... off to the record store, then...

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 16:17
I had to vote once for every option, except for VdGG, The Soft Machine and TMV, which I knew before discovering this site. I think I read about them, though not in the same text of course.

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 21:44
Main stream radio is not going to play any of this stuff, so of course the internet is responsible for all kinds of the music I listen to today.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 21:53
Dream Theater, Symphony X, Magellan, Shadow Gallery, Hatfield & The North, Fates Warning, Samla Mammas Manna, UK, Triumvirat, Amon Düül, John Zorn, and MANY others.

I did knew about most of the "classic" prog stuff before I discovered the site.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Siloportem
Date Posted: August 19 2006 at 05:02
The first one I discovered on the internet (thanks to PA) was Porcupine Tree.

But I had no idea there was something like prog. I had heard about some of the "great old ones" (Yes, Genesis, JT, FZ, ELP )but I didn't know they were prog nor had I heard more than the hits.

Found this site through some DT link and it went a little like this:
hm Pink Floyd, Dream Theater AND Marillion AND LTE. Hey Pink Floyd is in the upper regions of their top 100. Maybe this "progrock" is for me.LOL

Got into a lot of music since then.

-------------
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.

Posted By: THE_POLE
Date Posted: August 19 2006 at 05:08
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

we've certainly come a long way from record store sound booths or headphone stations, i have discovered many prog, rock and jazz bands through the internet -though  not necessarily through reviews which should be taken with a pinch of salt, but the MP3 samples and WAV soundbytes on PA, Amazon and the band's own websites give you a reasonable idea.  let your fingers do the walking!Thumbs Up

Are you kidding? i can spend hours at the headphone station at the store i get music from. im often late for uni because of this.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/the_pole/">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk