Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2455
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 23:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: One for all, all for one
Posted By: Alucard
Subject: One for all, all for one
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 06:46
You have records by groups where one member of the group is featured either in composition and/or playing for example  Caravan's "In the land of grey and pink" where you have a majority of Richard Sinclair compositions and lead vocals giving the record this nice melancolic mood typical for RS.

Replies:
Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 08:26

Any Tull album. Take away Anderson and what are you left with? ...Not a lot.

Posted By: Emperor
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 08:41

Almost all the stuff by Pink Floyd since early 70s till 1983 were written and sung by Roger Waters...

All the VDGG/PH albums, of course!

-------------
I Prophesy Disaster...

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 10:10
King Crimson : In the court of the crimson king The majority of the compositions are from Ian Mc Donald. I think this is one of the reasons the record differs a lot from the Fripp composed records. Another one for sure the Greg Lake vocals.

Posted By: Reed Lover
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 12:19

Most early Marillion music was written by Steve Hackett.LOL

Porcupine Tree are virtually a one-man band and it seems to work.

-------------

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 14:05

The same as KC was not KC to me without GL's voice, and whether you like it or not, Yes is not Yes, without Jon Anderson's voice.

Pink Floyd was still Floyd to me after the loss of Roger, because Dave had the better voice and the better sound... I didn't miss Roger's sad lyrics all that much.

I don't think the Strawbs would of been the same without David Cousins very denotable voice...and thought provoking lyrics...

Genesis was not the same after losing Peter Gabriel... and even worse after losing Steve Hackett... now they should of been forced to change their name..

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 14:09
Peter Hammill of VdGG wrote or co-wrote every tune for VdGG as well as sung on every song.

Posted By: Vegetableman
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 14:18

Pink Floyd's material was definately not written mostly by Roger Waters. In their earliest days they were pretty much written by everyone, and once they became popular, Waters would write the lyrics and Gilmour and Wright would write the music.

-------------
"Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."

Posted By: Angeliqué
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 14:19
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

The same as KC was not KC to me without GL's voice, and whether you like it or not, Yes is not Yes, without Jon Anderson's voice.

Pink Floyd was still Floyd to me after the loss of Roger, because Dave had the better voice and the better sound... I didn't miss Roger's sad lyrics all that much.

I don't think the Strawbs would of been the same without David Cousins very denotable voice...and thought provoking lyrics...

Genesis was not the same after losing Peter Gabriel... and even worse after losing Steve Hackett... now they should of been forced to change their name..

Soooo agree with you!!!  Fish blew my mind in the early years of Marillion....

-------------
Just take a pebble, and cast it to the sea....

Angeliqué

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: December 09 2004 at 14:39

The Strawbs for sure, Dave Cousins and any other 2,3 or 4! Not to belittle the contibution made by the numerous others who have passed through the band, but he is the only ever present, and by far the msot influential member.

It could also be argued that Spock Beard relied almost entirely on Neal Morse. I know they're still going without him, but are they really?

The Moody Blues would never have been a fraction of the band they became without Justin Hayward.

Hawkwind without Dave Brock, I don't think so. There was a trivia section question once about "which Hawkwind album did not not appear on". I don't remember ever seeing an answer.Confused

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk