Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=269
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 16:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Worst progressive album
Posted By: Marcelo
Subject: Worst progressive album
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 12:08
Is not easy to find a really bad prog album. Including not prog stuffs from prog bands (by example Invisible Touch or Talk), which could be the worst albums? 

Replies:
Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 12:18

Sorry Marcelo,

I think there are many horrible Prog albums out there, however, I don't find either of those to be in the "WORST" category. 90215 is brilliant and breathed new life into a dying band. I think the media overplayed it, but it's still a good disc. Abacab was good pop, not much prog there.

Try agin with more choices. John Wetton let go a few musical farts in his time.

Posted By: StarshipTrooper
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 12:47
I might upset a few people here but...(takes a deep breath) I really dont see what the attraction of In The Court Of The Crimson King is. I suppose in its day it was probably a great album for that time but I rarely play it now. It just (takes another deep breath) sounds horrible. I am not posting this to get a sl*gging off, Its just my humble opinion.

-------------

Posted By: Aerandir
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 13:21
Someone once told me that the best music is that we like most! I guess that this counts for the worst music too! Each composer or member of the band has a reason to believe that the album has a good reason to be recorded. The band records a piece from his own soul with every album! I only have worst-for-the-moments albums that i'm gonna like them tomorrow!

-------------
That which doesn't kill you, postpones the inevitable

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 13:34

Originally posted by StarshipTrooper StarshipTrooper wrote:

I might upset a few people here but...(takes a deep breath) I really dont see what the attraction of In The Court Of The Crimson King is. I suppose in its day it was probably a great album for that time but I rarely play it now. It just (takes another deep breath) sounds horrible. I am not posting this to get a sl*gging off, Its just my humble opinion.

I wouldn't call it the worst prog album of all time by far but,  like you I rarely play it anymore. Afew years ago I spent about 40 bucks on the Epitaph box set and I don't listen to that either!

Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 13:36
I hope that anyone who loves albums like Abacab, 90125, etc., doesn't upset. They are just examples (poll structure requires at least two options). Words like "worst" or "best" are just a guide for a personal opinion.

Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 13:40

Worst prog album of all-time: A la Carte by Triumvirat.

A monumental catastrophe.

Honourable Mention: Focus con Proby by Focus

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 15:19
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Worst prog album of all-time: A la Carte by Triumvirat.

A monumental catastrophe.

Honourable Mention: Focus con Proby by Focus

I agree Vibe, I had both of those duds on vinyl. Total crapola!Dead

And don't forget that inane "Mr. Loboto" garbage from Stynx! That song (and video) made me want to cut my ears off!

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 15:28
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Sorry Marcelo,

I think there are many horrible Prog albums out there, however, I don't find either of those to be in the "WORST" category. 90215 is brilliant and breathed new life into a dying band. I think the media overplayed it, but it's still a good disc. Abacab was good pop, not much prog there.

Try agin with more choices. John Wetton let go a few musical farts in his time.

You're right '90125' is a good album, and certainly better than 'Drama' or 'Tormato'. Concerning John Wetton, he didn't record anything good since the end of the seventies and I think 'Asia' is one of the worst band I ever heard in my life, I can say the same about the long awaited come back of ELP (with the exception of ELPowell), that soiled once more ELP's discography after 'Love beach'. It seems to me that every prog band follows the same pattern : first, write complex music that appeals to few people, then the need to earn more money and to rest neurons with simpler songs that can be played on radio and subsequently appeal to a wider public.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 05 2004 at 15:57
ABACAB! I for one hate it. 90125 isn't that bad.The idea of 'BAD' is very subjective though.''One man's poison'' and all that.

Posted By: dude
Date Posted: March 23 2004 at 18:36
actually i thought ABACAB was PRETTY good, i liked the title track and "DODO" except...what the hell was he singing about...either the dodo was a metaphor for something(dying love etc)....or he was really singing about dodos!!! anyway....TORMATO was pretty bland(bit of a rotten tormato really).There are also albums, while not "BAD" as such.did not really inspire me and thus, sat on the shelf gathering dust,one was beleive it or not ....THE WALL(except for Comfortably numb!!) Works by ELP was another.

Date Posted: March 23 2004 at 20:11
What about GTR and the Emerson, Berry and Powell project "3"?

Posted By: Tauhd Zaďa
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 01:19

I think I have two pearls, guys :

- "Real to Reel " - Starcastle

- "Muttered Promises" - Galadriel

These two records were just made to freak the birds

Anyway as others I like "90125" wich saved Yes from the (Drama)ti(tani)c shipwreak and "Abacab" made mainly on the basis of rehearseal improvisations.

-------------
The State Of Grace Is Achieved

Posted By: arqwave
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 01:20
i agree with the ABACAB stuff, but really, 90125 has a concept, and a fair way to get rid of the eighties... however, why not mention ASIA's albums like Alpha or Astra, or the xeroxe's that surronds the "prog-metal scene", there is a lot of material that should be thrown away, i propose to keep looking until we really find the worst album of prog???? or whatever they want to call it... if there's a bad record of prog, well, then, is not a prog record.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 03:32
It's gotta be GTR -

Hackett and Howe - 2 titans of the prog rock field, get together in the studio for the first time , thrilling all who heard of this collaboration , and release...... to much anticipation.........

Crap!

Total, Utter and Complete doody on plastic!

Even Jon Bon Jovi was heard to mutter "oooohhh, that's a bit of weak AOR isn't it?"

I would rather sit naked in a puddle of someone elses digestive juices and stick blunt pins in my eyes whilst a leather dominatrix clad Pavarotti tries to make sweet, passionate love to me, than ever listen to that pile of poo ever again......

Words (almost) fail me as to precisely how bad this album is.........

But I shall try......

Here goes.....

Ready????

Deep breath........

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH - STOP IT!!! STOP IT!!!

I wouldn't really recommend this as a good prog rock album..........

Ahem.....

Thank you.....

I'm going back to bed now......

Night, Night......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: dude
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 05:34
JIM:I get the feeling you really WOULD like to sit in that dominatrix shadowed digestive puddle

Posted By: Stormcrow
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 06:06

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH - STOP IT!!! STOP IT!!!

Don't hold back Garten.  Tell us what you really feel!  <SMILIE>

Posted By: Stormcrow
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 06:15

I have to say that while I don't consider either "90125" or "Abacab" to be great moments in the history of progressive rock, from a strictly personal standpoint I do enjoy both albums on a narrow (or wider if you prefer) rock 'n' roll basis.

Both are "bad" only on the basis of what came before.  If taken on their own merits, they are both quite listenable.

However if they cause your own digestive juices to spill over on Luciano Pavoratti's leather dominatrix outfit,  <SMILIE> I wouldn't for a moment force you to listen to them.

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 11:44

As usual, I find myself in the minority ()  I happen to love Abacab (in its own way; it's obviously not the "Genesis" we all know and love), and although I think 90125 is pretty good (though, again, certainly not the "Yes" we all know and love), and might be better than Drama, I am surprised at the negative comments on Tormato, which, along with Going for the One, I consider Yes' best mid-period albums.

Among the worst prog albums I've heard thus far (as a reviewer, anyway) was a Versus X album, the title of which I forget.  Read my review and you'll know why.

IMHO, however, wouldn't it seem that the minute you call something "the worst prog album ever," it ceases being prog?  That is, if it's the "worst," then it's the worst attempt at prog, but never actually reaches it.

Peace.

Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 13:55

Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

actually i thought ABACAB was PRETTY good, i liked the title track and "DODO" except...what the hell was he singing about...either the dodo was a metaphor for something(dying love etc)....or he was really singing about dodos!!! anyway....TORMATO was pretty bland(bit of a rotten tormato really).There are also albums, while not "BAD" as such.did not really inspire me and thus, sat on the shelf gathering dust,one was beleive it or not ....THE WALL(except for Comfortably numb!!) Works by ELP was another.

SHAME ON YOU!!! ELP's Pirates (from Works) is sublime although there is too much solo music admittedly on this record,The Wall packs a punch and is my favourite Floyd album and Tormato although patchy does have some impressive moments.

Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 13:57

What about the Emerson, Berry and Powell project "3"?

Fair call,although it does have the excellent track 'Desde LA Vida'.The rest is crap.

Date Posted: March 24 2004 at 15:36
Another really bad album for those of you who are familiar with the Hungarian band Omega is Omega XI. Nothing to do with some great material they released in  both the Hungarian and English languages during the 1970`s.

Date Posted: April 02 2004 at 12:06
Maani, your points of view and mine are very different: For me, Disturbance (from Versus X) is a little gem (see my review), but I feel myself swimming in an acid tank when I hear Abacab or 90125 (specially "Owner of a Lonely Crap" song). But in different opinions is the richness!     

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: April 02 2004 at 13:23

Oh there´s so many .....

Love Beach, Giant For A Day, Big Generator, Holidays In Eden............

But then again, there´s sooooo many good albums and noone is perfect

Posted By: elfangio
Date Posted: April 02 2004 at 14:48

I know I'll start a flame war, but I'll say:

The Final Cut

Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, but I can't stand Waters' solo work (and that's what TFC is basically).

-------------
Great shredding is cheddar cheese on a taco (Ron Thal).

"Mr Neal Morse from Mars, by way of Las Vegas and Nashville"

Posted By: Glass-Prison
Date Posted: April 02 2004 at 15:08
The final cut WAS horrible. I'd also like to throw Hold Your Fire into the bin.

Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 12:19
Love Beach!!!

Posted By: Scafell
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 13:50

Any Genesis album ! They would also fall into the most over-rated band section. I seem to always be contentious on here - ah well!

Posted By: benny bouncer
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 15:09
WHERE IS 'IN THE HOT SEAT'????

Posted By: Gaston
Date Posted: April 03 2004 at 15:20

Abacab. 90125 has Leave it.

-------------

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.

Posted By: CygnusX2112
Date Posted: April 09 2004 at 22:19
I like a few songs from 90125 but i really don't consider it prog.

Posted By: corbet
Date Posted: April 09 2004 at 22:29

90125 is perfect.  "Leave it" even being an 80's song, is better than most other bands' 70's stuff!

Worst album ever, please...

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: April 09 2004 at 22:49

Disapprove Just by taking part in this poll, you have to subscribe to the notion that these two non-representative (but not outright garbage) LPs are the most evil products of prog, ever.

Don't be so ridiculously pompous!

There's lots worse than anything either Yes or Genesis has ever done! Each of these discs has at least some merit!

Argue on....

But you're just chasing your own tails with such a concept!Stern Smile

A pointlessly subjective waste of typing energy. I'm done.

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: April 10 2004 at 11:28

Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

I like "Hold your fire" (as I like Saga's "Heads or tales" and "Behaviour") and it's the LAST good album Rush released, the following ones  being very disappointing.

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2004 at 11:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

What about the Emerson, Berry and Powell project "3"?

Fair call,although it does have the excellent track 'Desde LA Vida'.The rest is crap.

Powell was featured on the previous ELP release (ELPowell) but not on this one. This time Carl Palmer wasn't involved in some Asia record and was free to join the new ELP reformation.

-------------

Posted By: Glass-Prison
Date Posted: April 10 2004 at 18:39
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

A pointlessly subjective waste of typing energy. I'm done.

man I should stop talking. every time I talk, I manage to slip a personal opinion in, tainting a perfectly valid notion. for that matter, I should stop using my eyes; they can show me nothing but representations of objects, subjective to my own position.

AAAHHHH! THE UTTER ABSURDITY!!!!!

Posted By: The Analog Kid
Date Posted: April 14 2004 at 17:50
Vote goes to Abacab. 90125 is a great album!

Date Posted: April 16 2004 at 16:10
Check out the review for 90125 on page 152 of the April 15 Rolling Stone. This magazine never ceases to amaze me.

Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 12:47

I have to agree with Useful_Idiot, "Love Beach" is just awful in my opinion. I bought it when it came out in 1978 and disliked it so much that I got rid of it. I cringed at some of the lyrics, they're so bad: really forced rhymes in some cases, and cheesy. Even the cover is awful. It was a real let down for this ELP fan.

I wondered recently whether my opinion would have changed after all these years, but then heard "Memoirs Of An Officer And A Gentleman" a couple of days ago on the one of the Internet prog radio stations and found myself cringing again. Yuk!

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 14:29
Originally posted by Scafell Scafell wrote:

Any Genesis album ! They would also fall into the most over-rated band section. I seem to always be contentious on here - ah well!

WOW! THRERE IS ACTUALLY SOMEONE ON THIS WEB-SITE WHO AGREES WITH ME! COME TO THINK OF IT ALL OF THEIR MATERIAL SHOULD BE BLASTED OFF INTO SPACE. PRETENTIOUS GARBAGE.

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 16:26

Both Abacab and 90125 have their moments - they're not all bad!

I once bought "Nuclear Nightclub", by Wigwam. Now that was atrocious. I gave it away, so can't review it - if I did, it would be 3 words; "Nuclear? No Thanks!!" - or maybe 2 words; "Sht Nightclub".

I hate nightclubs anyway...

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 16:29
  http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001">Too Funny

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb038">

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 16:44

WHERE DO YOU GET THOSE SMILEYS FROM - THEY'RE AWESOME!!!!

Too Funny

(Bare-facedly nicked smiley!)

Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 17:44
http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"> Yeah Baby SmileyCentral.com, of course!!!!!   http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001">Bye

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb039">

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 30 2004 at 22:03

I agree 90125 and Abacab are bad (specially Abacab), but there are worst albums, I think Big Generator is a worst Yes album and Invissible Touch or We Can't Dance are even worst Collins Genesis albums.

Another gems are A La Carte (The Rat turns pop), Love Beach and In the Hot Seat (simply repulsive) or Kilroy was here by Styx (Mister Robotto is just the point of the Iceberg, What a perfect Crap!!!!).

Iván

Date Posted: May 01 2004 at 02:45

This may have already been said, I didn't read the thread.

Abacab and 90125 may be bland pop, but at least they're fairly well-crafted pop.  I'm sure there have been worse pop albums made by prog bands (I haven't heard enough to make a judgement).  It is my opinion that the single worst prog album ever is Journey to the Center of the Earth by Rick Wakeman.

Posted By: RobJ
Date Posted: May 02 2004 at 06:25

I rather like 90125, it's very good pop album, I certainly wouldn't call it Prog. Trevor Rabin had already defined himself as a pop song writer prior to hooking up with Squire and White and his writing and influence as a pop/rock guitarist is dominant throughout the album. So it was no surprise to me when it came out that it was an album of pop tunes, and I really don't think that much of Yes' work since then falls neatly under the definition of Prog either. I still enjoy Yes' music, but long gone are the musically adventurous days when they were to a large extent defining the genre.  

On the other hand I credit Yes with not resting solely on past successes by moving forward musically, for better or worse, and continuing to write and record new material. I can't think of many things more sad in the world of music than a band that hangs on to what was and becomes a Vegas act.

"Bravo the seventies" Steve Howe

Posted By: The Analog Kid
Date Posted: May 02 2004 at 14:55
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

It is my opinion that the single worst prog album ever is Journey to the Center of the Earth by Rick Wakeman.

WHAT!!??

Posted By: bityear
Date Posted: May 02 2004 at 15:19
"90125" is one of the lamest and sappiest and poorest albums ever released by a progressive band. If it had been any other band than Yes, I bet nobody around here would mind about it.

Even worse, though, is Genesis' "Calling All Stations"!!!

Even "Big Generator" will seem like a glorious album in comparison. Eek.

-------------
www.geocities.com/joelbitars

Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 02:32
Originally posted by The Analog Kid The Analog Kid wrote:

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

It is my opinion that the single worst prog album ever is Journey to the Center of the Earth by Rick Wakeman.

WHAT!!??

Heh, I realize this response is somewhat old, but I'm still going to reply.

It emphasizes everything wrong with prog rock.  It's almost painfully pretentious, the narration is incredibly corny, the instrumental parts do absolutely nothing for me, and the entire project just seems ridiculous.  I mean, Big Generator is a worse album than Journey, but Big Generator isn't prog.  It's a pop album by a prog band.  I'm sticking strictly to prog here, and under that guideline, Journey takes the cake for me.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 05:07

90125 is a very good Yes album in my book. City of Love, Leave it etc..

Abacab is a poor Genesis album, but tracks like Dodo and Me & Sarah Jane are great.

The worst prog albums ever IMO are 'We cant dance' by Genesis and I'm sorry, I'm going to be lynched for saying this, but.....

'Pictures at an exhibition' by ELP. I'm sorry but when rock bands show off by trying to play classical music in a rock format the result lays somewhere between extreme pretense and outright comedy. The same could be said for ELP (Powell) rendition of 'Mars the bringer of war' on their 1986 album. Laughable. Embarassing.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tauhd Zaďa
Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 05:48

In the one hand, as in my opinion "90125" and "Abacab" are not typical prog records I can't vote.

In the other hand, inside more typical prog releases I could suggest :

- "Real to Reel - STARCASTLE

- "Patchwork" - ARRAKEEN

I'm shy because I have these two records but I'm not chauvinist as ARRAKEEN is a french band

-------------
The State Of Grace Is Achieved

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 12:52
90125 is not that bad. And I don't have any records by Genesis, so I can't vote really. Read my review of 90125 ... I will post it soon!

Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 13:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

'Pictures at an exhibition' by ELP. I'm sorry but when rock bands show off by trying to play classical music in a rock format the result lays somewhere between extreme pretense and outright comedy. The same could be said for ELP (Powell) rendition of 'Mars the bringer of war' on their 1986 album. Laughable. Embarassing.

Yeah, I agree that Pictures sucks.

Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 13:52

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

90125 is not that bad

I agree with you, the music doesn't sound like typical yes but it is very pleasant to listen to.

-------------

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 14:18

I also like 90125.. I think its really easy to listen to.

I'm not fond of Abacab either... but I really agree that the worst was "Big Generator".. now that was horrible!

And just because its necessary to say, Pictures was a great album.. my second favorite live album of all time.

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: The Prognaut
Date Posted: July 06 2004 at 15:04

Originally posted by elfangio elfangio wrote:

I know I'll start a flame war, but I'll say:

The Final Cut

Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, but I can't stand Waters' solo work (and that's what TFC is basically).

Not precisely start a controversy, but I know this album could be a challenge to listeners, specially when only focused in bringing out the worst of it, thing, I still cannot find in the depths of the recording that makes me, in the other hand, get to love it. As a matter of fact, this is the PF album to me. Of course it is a solo work by Waters, it's a REQUIEM for the post war dream dedicated to his father, Eric Fletcher Waters. That was easy to figure out since that legend/warning is written all over the back cover of the album, at the very top of it. Why doncha give it a second chance? I mean, really a SECOND chance, that implies kicking back to the music and enjoy, and if you still won't like it a bit for good, plausible reasons, I will back off for good.  Cross my heart!!!  (Maybe you would like to take a look at my review upon this album and give me a piece of your mind! )

Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

Same here! Please tell me how come you think it's horrendous!  About the RUSH album... hell yeah! dig a hole in your backyard and toss the damn thing in!  ...along with 90125 please

-------------
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead

Posted By: frenchie
Date Posted: August 02 2004 at 18:22
stinkers in my opinion:

Yes - 90125
Yes - Big Generator
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Mike Oldfield - The Millenium Bell

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 00:20

I believe I will change my vote, none of the above mention can be the worst prog' albums for a simple reason ABACRAP or 90210 (sorry wrong number, but who cares?) because none of those albums is progressive, just simple, plain and boring pop.

There's good pop ( post Peter Green Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, Coldplay, etc) , but Yes or Genesis aren't the best bands for POP.

My vote goes to Re-Works, mixing prog' with dance is an capital sin.

Iván

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: August 03 2004 at 00:30
But Re-Works isn't Prog either...

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: onion3000
Date Posted: August 04 2004 at 20:13

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

But Re-Works isn't Prog either...

So Scissor Sisters 'comfortably numb' isn't  prog?....      

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: August 14 2004 at 22:58

neu! - 2

triumvirat - a la carte

van der graaf generator - pleasure dome

genesis - abacab

yes- tales from topographic oceans

gentle gient - giant for a day

starcastle - reel to real

golem - sand

patrick moraz - timecode

mike rutherford - acting very strange