Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26935
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 01:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Rickenbacke wielder
Posted By: Melomaniac
Subject: Favorite Rickenbacke wielder
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:18
I know there are many others, but I'll stick with these four... 

My vote goes for Geddy Lee !

Replies:
Posted By: zFrogs
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:44
Geddy Lee is my favorite bass player but For Rickenbaker sound Chris Squire is "The Rickenbaker".

-------------
https://www.instagram.com/erifrog/

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:57
I love Geddy, Chris and Dave meros' work. I havn't heard much deep purple.

You're probably thinking of Alan Morse, Neal's brother, who plays guitar, not bass, in Spock's Beard.

I went with the Fish because he is the most melodic and innovative of the them in my opinion. Geddy is next ,almost as equal as Chris, but he is more spontaneous and random/ not as melodic as Chris. I was suprised when learning Closer to the Heart the other day, that Geddy can make a radio-hit power ballad just as difficult to play as Cygnus-X1 or other technical songs. Dave is really good too, but he is more like a Geddy and Chris combo and itsn't quite as original.

Rickenbackers are probably my favorite sounding bass and, being a bass player myself, are very temping to buy, though a 4003 would be around 1,200 USD, which I don't have. Ironically, Chris, Geddy, and Dave are my top 3 bass players, at least for prog, and they all use Rics.

-------------

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 18:05
Actually, Mike Rutherford of Genesis didn't do too shabby with his Rickenbacker double neck 12 string/bass! should be on the list up there. Didn't vote. Sorry...

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Posted By: Bastille Dude
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 18:07
Oh man this is a tough one, how about Chris Squire with Geddy Lee a close 2nd.

-------------
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 18:36
Cos they got his name wrong I passed over Dave Meros who would have got my vote. Instead it went to Mr. Glover.

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 18:38
Chris Squire, nuff said.

-------------

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 19:09

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: Arrrghus
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 19:13
Geddy plays a Fender Jazz bass!

-------------

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 19:17
Originally posted by Arrrghus Arrrghus wrote:

Geddy plays a Fender Jazz bass!

Plays a Fender but played a Rickenbacker.

Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 19:41
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

Actually, Mike Rutherford of Genesis didn't do too shabby with his Rickenbacker double neck 12 string/bass! should be on the list up there. Didn't vote. Sorry...

oh Yeah! I forgot about him! He's very good as well. Up with Geddy and Chris in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 19:42
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

who's he?

-------------

Posted By: dagrush
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 19:43
Squire

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/omgwtfdagrush/">

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 20:07
Chris Squire obviously...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 20:10
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

who's he?

DOH!!!!!   I thought you were a Rickenbacker fan hahaha..... that's Lemmy and a 4004 Rick

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 20:19
Lee or Squire, I voted Lee.

Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 20:40

DOH!!!!!   I thought you were a Rickenbacker fan hahaha..... that's Lemmy and a 4004 Rick

I said I was a fan of the basses, I didn't say I knew everyone who used them Wink.

Besides, I have heard little or no Motorhead and didn't know he played a ric.

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 21:08

I said I was a fan of the basses, I didn't say I knew everyone who used them Wink.

Lemmy is a long time player and had his own signature bass from Rickenbacker.... check out Motorhead... great stuff....

-------------

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 21:27
Rickenbacker = Squire

...its a scientifical fact!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: M. B. Zapelini
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 07:48
Chris Squire is THE Rick player... Hey guys, Paul McCartney also played a Rickenbacker (you can see him at the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie - but he actually played one on this album sessions).

-------------
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL

Posted By: TheLamb
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 11:49
Chris Squire is THE MAN... He is so innovative and a has a great playing style... Sings
well too Thumbs Up

Just curious... Does that guitarist from Focus (I can't bother to remember dutch names.. sorry) play a Rick? It sounds like a rick to me... but sortof different... His sound is definitely unique, so I was just wondering what guitar he uses...

-------------

Posted By: Open-Mind
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 12:47
Geddy Lee - Rush

-------------
"I'm on a roll, I'm on a roll this time, I feel my luck could change.. "

Posted By: The Green Tank
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 17:32
My idol, Chris Squire. With Geddy Lee a close second.

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 17:43
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Chris Squire is THE MAN... He is so innovative and a has a great playing style... Sings
well too Thumbs Up

Just curious... Does that guitarist from Focus (I can't bother to remember dutch names.. sorry) play a Rick? It sounds like a rick to me... but sortof different... His sound is definitely unique, so I was just wondering what guitar he uses...

both bassists... Ruiter and Havermanns played Fenders... remember Greg Lake had a similar tone to Squire in that it was very treble jacked... but played a jazz bass.

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 17:52
good to know Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: kebjourman
Date Posted: August 06 2006 at 00:52
roger mcguinnWink

Posted By: Australian
Date Posted: August 06 2006 at 00:53
Originally posted by M. B. Zapelini M. B. Zapelini wrote:

Chris Squire is THE Rick player... Hey guys, Paul McCartney also played a Rickenbacker (you can see him at the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie - but he actually played one on this album sessions).

Squire is the undiputed champion of the Rick

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 06 2006 at 06:41
Dude,

Roger Glover played a Fender Precision bass

In Purple , Glen Hughes played the Rickenbacker

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: August 06 2006 at 06:47

Lemmy played with Hawkwind (on the albums "Doremi Fasol Latido", "Space Ritual", "Hall of the Mountain Grill" and "Warrior on the Edge of Time") before Motorhead were founded. In fact "Motorhead" is a Hawkwind song.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: August 06 2006 at 08:11
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Lemmy played with Hawkwind (on the albums "Doremi Fasol Latido", "Space Ritual", "Hall of the Mountain Grill" and "Warrior on the Edge of Time") before Motorhead were founded. In fact "Motorhead" is a Hawkwind song.

thanks Friede... I should have recognized that if he didn't recognize who Lemmy was.. in spite of all the hints that were in that pictureWink.. that he might not have known about Lemmy and Hawkwind.  Quite a character Lemmy is isn't he LOL

-------------

Posted By: Kord
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 03:25
Squire is just fantastic

-------------
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Genesis_Group.jpg" border">

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 05:06
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Rickenbacker = Squire

...its a scientifical fact!

very good el böthy, now class dismissed!!

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 07:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Dude,

Um - I beg to differ...

Mind you, he does play a Precision these days...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 13:04
damn those rickenbackers look good...

-------------

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 13:41
I vote Squire.  Dave Meros from Spock's Beard is a good player, but he's not in the poll.

I as a bassist hate Rickenabackers, and I have always wondered why so many great players use them and put up with such awful tone.  The basses sound fragile and distorted.  There are so many better options, especially for the price.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: DeepPhreeze
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 13:58
I love the way Squire romanced the bass instead of just playing it. The tones he could pull... the way he could harmonize on the fly... absolutely amazing.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 16:03
My favourite Rickenbacker player is not on that list...Wink  BTW, out of it I voted for Chris, though Geddy is one of my all-time favourite bassists. Lately he uses the Fender Jazz Bass more than the Rick, though - I even saw a very funny ad on a music mag, where Geddy said "thank you for making my bottom so big"!LOL

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 16:07
I've never really decided if I like Squire or Lee more as bassists, but in terms of the Rickenback sound I have to go with Squire hands down.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

My favourite Rickenbacker player is not on that list...Wink  BTW, out of it I voted for Chris, though Geddy is one of my all-time favourite bassists. Lately he uses the Fender Jazz Bass more than the Rick, though - I even saw a very funny ad on a music mag, where Geddy said "thank you for making my bottom so big"!LOL

LOL  classic! 

-------------

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 23:39
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

I subscribe to the magazine Bass Player, and I laughed everytime I saw that Fender add.  Only Geddy could make a comment like that.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 04:30
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Dude,

Um - I beg to differ...

Mind you, he does play a Precision these days...

And he did also back then (a sunburst) if I remember some pics on the inside gatefold of Machine Head.

But for some reason on sunday morning at the cybercafe, I could not edit my post (or even delete it), because I remembered that he did play also the Rickenbecker.

Apologies.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 11:04
Geddy Lee. Always. Thumbs Up

Posted By: VERS
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:40
Geddy Lee is unbelievamazing

-------------

Posted By: xtopher
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:05
I'll take Alan Meros!!!LOLLOLLOL

Seriously, Geddy.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:46
no one has  mentioned Pete Trewavas have they... another great Ricky user...

a few  others ...

the late Cliff Burton of Metallica,  Les Claypool's first bass was a Rick I believe (wanted to learn Roundabout), and he still loves the things.., Jon Camp of Renaissance (listen to Ashes are Burning from the Live at Carnegie Hall album Clap) Roger Waters on the first couple Floyd albums, Jan Patrick Djivas of PFM, and of course Gary Strater of Starcastle hahah. 

-------------

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

a few  others ...

the late Cliff Burton of Metallica,  Les Claypool's first bass was a Rick I believe (wanted to learn Roundabout), and he still loves the things.., Jon Camp of Renaissance (listen to Ashes are Burning from the Live at Carnegie Hall album Clap) Roger Waters on the first couple Floyd albums, Jan Patrick Djivas of PFM, and of course Gary Strater of Starcastle hahah. 

and I also have to add my old buddy Phil who played in a band I was associated with many years ago. LOL. We nicked named him "Strong Eyed and Bingy". One day he leaned forward instead of backwards when the flash pots went off. He lost half of his afro. He did manage to keep the "Ricky" safe though.

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:42
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

a few  others ...

and I also have to add my old buddy Phil who played in a band I was associated with many years ago. LOL. We nicked named him "Strong Eyed and Bingy". One day he leaned forward instead of backwards when the flash pots went off. He lost half of his afro. He did manage to keep the "Ricky" safe though.

hahah I understand the sentiment... I'd give the last of my hair before a scratch befell one of my Ricks... they are beautiful instruments...

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 23:13

a few  others ...

Really Cliff Burton? All these years of listening to Metallica and I never recognized the Rickenbacker sound.

And Oh my Starcastle sharing a simularity with Yes, the apocalypse must be upon us.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Supertwister
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 00:22
Geddy Lee

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/palepoli/?chartstyle=minimalDark - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/minimalDark/artists/palepoli.gif -

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 06:35
LEMMY!

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 15:26
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

LEMMY!

Well, the recent Rickenbacker Lemmy limited edition signature model was a very neat-looking bass. Walnut body, with oak leaves and acorns carved in it. Almost looked like a piece of furniture from the 19th century, which was pretty cool if you ask me. However, Lemmy himself is hardly cool, in my opinion of course, and musically he can't be compared with any of the in the poll mentioned persons.

Posted By: Liquid Len
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:17
Can only be Chris Squire!

-------------
Can you tell me where my country lies?

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

a few  others ...

Really Cliff Burton? All these years of listening to Metallica and I never recognized the Rickenbacker sound.

And Oh my Starcastle sharing a simularity with Yes, the apocalypse must be upon us.

oh he sure did.... however he switched to an Aria bass... don't remember the exact timeline on that... but he was a Ricky and Ampeg SVT man Clap  A lethal combination...Tongue

LOL  yeah that is a shock to learn that Strater used a Rick isn't it

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk