Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29490
Printed Date: May 11 2024 at 12:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Opeth vs Tool
Posted By: Jeff Schu
Subject: Opeth vs Tool
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:09
Two of my fav bands on the Prog-Metal side of things. I find both to be very creative and original but it's hard choosing.

Better Band/Preference: (Creativity/Uniqueness/Originality/Instrumentally)

Opeth

or

Tool

???

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Clark Ashton
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:42
Tool does have it's merits, but at the end of the day they are just commercial radio/mtv/hot topic mall-core darlings from Sharon Osbourne's stable of dog and pony acts.
Opeth are a class act all the way.

Posted By: Falling Flower
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:45
Originally posted by Clark Ashton Clark Ashton wrote:

Tool does have it's merits, but at the end of the day they are just commercial radio/mtv/hot topic mall-core darlings from Sharon Osbourne's stable of dog and pony acts.
On what planet do you live. Confused

On mtv here they play Opeth, but never have they played Tool.
They don't even talk about Tool on tv or radio here. Cry

-------------

Tool makes the butterflies in my tumybox go woooooooosh

Posted By: bctruce
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:46

Have any other complete inaccuracies you'd like to share?

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:48
Opeth.

*hides from Debby*

Clark, Tool aren't any more commerical than Opeth.  Yes, they maybe a little bit more popular than Opeth, but both have large followings, but neither are commerical.  I've seen both bands live too and they both were excellent.

I just prefer Opeth.

-------------

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 13:01

You are very,very uninformed.Before you throw out baseless statements like that actually try to know what you are talking about.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 13:06
   I think one shouldn't compare these two bands simply because their music is quite different.

I like them both. Both bands are excellent. IMHO.

Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 13:31
I voted for Tool btw.

I got a Opeth cd from a teacher last year but I didn't really like it.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 13:33

Wow, just.... wow.  Stern Smile

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 13:40
Tool, Tool and er, oh I know....

....Tool!

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 13:41
From what I've heard/seen (Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries and a live show), Opeth are excellent.

From what I've heard/seen (all studio albums and a live show), Tool are brilliant.

So my vote went to Tool.

Posted By: Asphalt
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 14:13
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

You are very,very uninformed.Before you throw out baseless statements like that actually try to know what you are talking about.

woooh... lots of tension around here Wacko

although I appreciate Tool for being more than what I initially thought they were [clever metal band but not really prog] I choose Opeth all the way in terms of originality, inventing and reinventing themselves, technique and even songwriting

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 14:15
Cannot....decide...both...so...awesome!!!

I vote for Opeth, because though I loves me some Tool, Opeth is fast becoming my favorite band ( I know I'll get sh*t from my friends for this, "oh your'e a deathmetal fanatic" but I don't careBig smile)

-------------

Posted By: Magic Mountain
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 14:27
Originally posted by Falling Flower Falling Flower wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but actually Tool won music video of the year with their video for "Sober" from "Undertow."

As for the question, I love both bands and have all of their cds.  However, I will chose Tool since they do not use the cookie monster voice.  While I've grown to tolerate it for Opeth because of their great music, I'd prefer that they would not use the growls.  Call me an old fart.

Posted By: Proghat
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 14:37
Tool blows and shouldn't even be on this site.

Posted By: enteredwinter
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 14:37
I picked Opeth, reallly only for one reason. They are far more productive in terms of sheer amount of music produced, and all of it is quality. Tool, on the other hand, takes an inordinate amount of time to make an album.

Much better that they focus on making good music instead of churning out a pile of crap year after year, but to have been around for 15 years and only have released 3 truly classic LPs (and only 4 total!) is disappointing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Tool, I just want more, dammit.

Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 15:00
Opeth for me!

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Posted By: Magic Mountain
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 15:02
Originally posted by Magic Mountain Magic Mountain wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but actually Tool won music video of the year with their video for "Sober" from "Undertow."

As for the question, I love both bands and have all of their cds.  However, I will chose Tool since they do not use the cookie monster voice.  While I've grown to tolerate it for Opeth because of their great music, I'd prefer that they would not use the growls.  Call me an old fart.

I stand corrected.  Tool won the following video awards:

Tool won the 1993 Billboard Music Video Awards for Best New Artist, and their video for "Sober" won for Best Clip, Hard Rock/Metal

"Prison Sex" was nominated for 1995's MTV Music Video Awards' Best Special Effects category.

Posted By: Tony Fisher
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 15:29
Opeth by miles. Much better guitarists and Akerfeldt's voice is brilliant; I can just about cope with the death metal vocals but prefer it when he leaves them out.

I keep meaning to review Lateratus but hold back because I know I'm going to offend Tool fans. I just can't see anything prog in them at all, but even reviewing it as a prog album, I'm going to rate it very low. I constantly find myself comparing Tool to metal gods like Metallica and Budgie (a little known Welsh band - for our American brethren, Metallica coverered Breadfan and A Crash Course In Brain Surgery by them) and thinking how bloody tedious they are.

Posted By: Mlaen
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 15:35
I like Opeth better. Smile

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 15:41
Tool.

Opeth is _very_ good, but Tool takes it to a whole new level conceptually.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 15:58
well i like OPETH that have the mix of death metal and symphonis rock that make it one of the best but tool sometimes seems a MTV band.

Posted By: markosherrera
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 16:23
opeth is better because its one of the best mixing deathmetal with symphonic  . tool sometimes seems a MTV BAND.

Posted By: lightbulb_son
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 16:45
Opeth by a mile for me. They're my favorite band of all time so the choice wasn't terribly hard.

Not that Tool are bad, but they're just not my style. I would defend Maynard though, the posts labeling them as MTV darlings are far from the truth, you guys need to think about what you're saying. Tool do get radioplay, but they are not as out there as you all are claiming.

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 16:48
That is the problem I had with someone's post,acting like they were media crazy.For the firs couple of years I got into Tool I barely knew what they looked like.They don't appear in their videos,and in the early days pretty much shunned the media.

And the Sharon Osbourne comment totally mystified me.

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

That is the problem I had with someone's post,acting like they were media crazy.For the firs couple of years I got into Tool I barely knew what they looked like.They don't appear in their videos,and in the early days pretty much shunned the media.

And the Sharon Osbourne comment totally mystified me.

I'm pretty much at a loss about all the "MTV Band" comments, and the like.

I, for one, think it's the time-honored "If it's popular it must suck" phenomenon.

Tool has more or less broken every unwritten rule about how to make it in the music industry.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 17:07
Tool, by a mile and 7/8.

Posted By: GPFR
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 17:10
Originally posted by Mlaen Mlaen wrote:

I like Opeth better. Smile

Yep, me too. As simple as that.

-------------
www.myspace.com/hail_peter

Posted By: Open-Mind
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 17:22
Opeth for me too

-------------
"I'm on a roll, I'm on a roll this time, I feel my luck could change.. "

Posted By: the icon of sin
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 17:48
Tool edge it for me, mainly due to "Lateralus" being my favourite album bar none.

Opeth have more stuff, do more tours etc. but Tool's time is special. Can't wait to see them in Nottingham on December 1st.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 18:20

I love Opeth but Tool are just too good. As far as prog metal coes they beat all but DT for me.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 19:32
Why dont you just ask me which testicle I like more??? too hard...I mean maybe as a band in general Opeth...but then there is Lateralus perfection...I dont know

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Selkie
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 20:08
Opeth by a long shot, Tool doesn't do much for me anymore. I used to be a tool fan, but their music just seems tedious and dull now.

Posted By: moonlapse
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 22:31
Opeth rules.

Posted By: SolariS
Date Posted: October 06 2006 at 22:46

I wish I could see what everyone else sees in tool. I've tried to like them, but they leave me emotionless and bored. I think they had a new sound once upon a time, but now it feels rehashed and stale. I understand that many people have a sort of sentimentalism for this band, but I will always just feel like an onlooker.

-------------

Date Posted: October 07 2006 at 06:55

I stand corrected.  Tool won the following video awards:

Tool won the 1993 Billboard Music Video Awards for Best New Artist, and their video for "Sober" won for Best Clip, Hard Rock/Metal

"Prison Sex" was nominated for 1995's MTV Music Video Awards' Best Special Effects category.
Yes I know, but I was saying that they completely ignore the band on dutch mtv and other dutch music channels.
They were here on a festival, and they showed every single band of that festival on tv, exept ToolConfused

And to all the "omg they won an award so they must be commercial puppies" people...ever thought that they might just be good, not commercial, just good?Tongue

I wouldn't even care if they were commercial tho. I saw an intervieuw with Maynard about some movie and the reporter asked "So what made you want to do this movie?" and Maynard just simply and deadseriously answered "The money.", I laughed my ass off with that.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: October 07 2006 at 09:44
    Stop it !!!!!!!!You're blowing my head!!!

Tool,just because they're losing.But I love both equally and consider them to be the best in Prog-Metal now

Date Posted: October 07 2006 at 10:49
Originally posted by bctruce bctruce wrote:

First of all; it was not my intention to offend anyone. I knew that some would think I didn't know what I was talking about. But, even if everyone would disagree with me, I'll stand by my OPINION.

I love prog, and I love metal, but TO ME; only a few artists, that I've heard, can play metal and keep it truly progressive. I believe Tool fails to do that. They bore me!

Right now Lateralus is ranked 27 on the PA chart. I know they have a huge following. But I look at their place on the archives the same as Rhapsody, Nightwish, and Styx.

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: October 07 2006 at 11:00
Opeth, why even compare the two ?

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: October 07 2006 at 20:18

Originally posted by bctruce bctruce wrote:

First of all; it was not my intention to offend anyone. I knew that some would think I didn't know what I was talking about. But, even if everyone would disagree with me, I'll stand by my OPINION.

I love prog, and I love metal, but TO ME; only a few artists, that I've heard, can play metal and keep it truly progressive. I believe Tool fails to do that. They bore me!

Right now Lateralus is ranked 27 on the PA chart. I know they have a huge following. But I look at their place on the archives the same as Rhapsody, Nightwish, and Styx.

Ahhh...enough said, the man is bored! Now, this makes all the difference...and I thought he was just pulling crap of his ass. No! the man has a point...Tool is "commercial radio/mtv/hot topic mall-core darlings from Sharon Osbourne's stable of dog and pony acts" driven...cause they bore him...and you know, that isnt really progressive! No,no,no...sure am glad people like him say this kind of holy truth, before I think I like them just because the music...no! There is a whole history of Sharon hot dogs pony mtv going on behind Tool! Tank you!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 13:26
Love both, but Opeth it is. If only "10 000 Days" had been better...

BTW, I don't watch MTV, so maybe the people here who seem to do could tell me what makes  an "MTV band".

Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

BTW, I don't watch MTV, so maybe the people here who seem to do could tell me what makes  an "MTV band".

MTV band: act or artist who are given plenty of daylight airtime to promote their music. Tool was given such exposure as soon as "Undertow" was released. They were a buzz band. "Prison Sex" & "Sober" were regularly on MTV's playlist.

I'm not saying the band themselves "sold their souls" or "cashed in" for what fame they have. But that exposure made them a household word. I attribute their large fan base to this fact. I don't think Tool is the worst band I ever heard, their music just isn't that interesting. There are many other bands, worthy of the praise laid on Tool, that don't recieve the recognition they deserve.

Posted By: wodaemang
Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 20:28

Love both, but Opeth it is. If only "10 000 Days" had been better...BTW, I don't watch MTV, so maybe the people here who seem to do could tell me what makes an "MTV band".

MTV band: act or artist who are given plenty of daylight airtime to promote their music. Tool was given such exposure as soon as "Undertow" was released. They were a buzz band. "Prison Sex" & "Sober" were regularly on MTV's playlist.

I'm not saying the band themselves "sold their souls" or "cashed in" for what fame they have. But that exposure made them a household word. I attribute their large fan base to this fact. I don't think Tool is the worst band I ever heard, their music just isn't that interesting. There are many other bands, worthy of the praise laid on Tool, that don't recieve the recognition they deserve.

i dont know if you could be more wrong, for you to say that tool is/was a "buzz band" is ridiculous, just so u know, their style of music has long since been all but banished from mtv, and even if undertow was played a lot on mtv, which it was, it still pushed the boundaries of the style of music, if u dont believe me, go listen to sober and tell me that there was a band in 1993 in the metal genre that recorded a song that sounded similar. mtv is now a haven for pop punk and emo bands, for you to even throw tool in that is completely absurd and for lack of a better word offensive. tool pushes the boundaries on what metal is supposed to be, its as simple as that, try and find one band that sounds like them, their sound is completely original, ill agree that many bands dont get the recognition they deserve, but for you to say that tool doesnt deserve the recognition they get is completely offensive and misinformed.

Posted By: wodaemang
Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 20:30
and if u cant tell, my vote goes to tool....not that i dont like opeth, its just tool does more for me

Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 20:44

I don't think Tool is the worst band I ever heard, their music just isn't that interesting to me.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 20:51

"Pull Me Under" and "Take the Time" got regular rotation on MTV, does this make Dream Theater an "MTV buzz band"?

-------------

Posted By: hamham
Date Posted: October 09 2006 at 19:41
Eh, the two bands have almost nothing common between them, not gonna vote on this poll.

Posted By: nowayman121
Date Posted: October 10 2006 at 03:07
I'm a big fan of both bands, but Opeth takes my vote here due to there extreme contrasting sections. I think Opeth has done more experimentation in there music then Tool even though Tool has done alot too

-------------
Progressive: Intelligent music for intelligent people.

Posted By: darkshade
Date Posted: October 10 2006 at 23:18

on what planet do YOU live?

on mine, MTV doesnt play music videos

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/MysticBoogy" rel="nofollow - My Last.fm

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: October 10 2006 at 23:34
TOOL, because they got two "o" and opeth only has one...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: Erpland316
Date Posted: October 10 2006 at 23:48
Even though I love Opeth(saw them last week in Atlanta) I would say in the long run I love TOOL more.

-------------
"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: October 11 2006 at 00:02
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

TOOL, because they got two "o" and opeth only has one...

that's a good reasonClapWink

Posted By: Prog-man
Date Posted: October 11 2006 at 02:07

-------------
Arriving somewhere but not here

Posted By: MadcapLaughs84
Date Posted: October 11 2006 at 12:34
Maynard is the man. TOOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk