Chainsaw Outlaws and New Riders of the Purple
Haze.

Replies:
Posted By: JCProg
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 12:15
My vote goes to... Gov't Mule!

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 12:36
Bilden “http://secretsband.home.att.net/dregs.jpg” kan inte visas, då den innehåller fel.

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: arcer
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 13:29

Allman Brothers up to Brothers and Sisters

Black Crowes from Southern Musical and Harmony Companion up til Three Snakes and One Charm (saw them live on - I think - the Armorica tour they were fantastic, lots of long Allman-style wig outs and jams)

Little Feat - anything with Lowell but particularly Dixie Chicken

ZZ Top - all from 1st Album through to El Loco but definitely, definitely nothing after

Sheryl Crow - first three albums are excellent, her last one was seriously adrift, it was like the record company had said 'Shezzer - go pop or you're through'. It's mostly terrible and she duets with Lenny Kravitz for God's sake!

I admire Stevie Ray's playing but the albums don't really do much for me otherwise (guess I'm a philistine)

Only have a Creedence best of so can't really comment

always just thought Skynyrd were a poor man's Allmans and worse were 38 Special, Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot (all terrible)

Don't consider the Eagles southern rock - more LA country rock - much like the early Doobies, though I like both.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 13:54

I voted for Creedence Clearwater Revival. They were my first favourite band, until Uriah Heep came along.

The band centred around the multi-talented John Fogerty, who wrote, sang, played lead guitar, etc. They made a number of superb singles and albums. "Proud mary", "Up around the bend", "Bad moon rising", "Rockin' all over the world", etc., were all penned by Fogerty (RAOTW was on a solo album of his). Best album was "Cosmo's factory", which included a 12 minute version of "I heard it through the grapevine", and a sublime opening track, "Ramble tamble". "Willy and the poor boys" was another great album.

Their penultimate "Pendulum" album saw them exploring some interesting new directions, perhaps even flirting with prog on "Born to run" and "Rude awakening".

It all fell apart with their last album, "Mardi gras", often cited around the time as the worst album ever by a major rock act. The problem by then was that the other band members though they too were as talented as Fogerty, and wanted to prove it. Unfortunately, they were not!

Even today, Stu Cook and Doug Clifford, the bassist and drummer, are not on speaking terms with Fogerty, to the extent that they would not appear together at CCR's induction into the Rock'n'roll hall of fame. The fourth band member, Fogerty's brother Tom, left the band before Mardi Gras to go solo. His first single was "Goodbye media man", a backward swipe at his brother. Tom Fogerty sadly died, I think in the 1980's.

Cook and Clifford tour as Creedence Clearwater Revisited, performing many of John Fogerty's compositions. Fogerty himself remains a solo performer.

Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 14:00
John Fogerty is now playing old CCR songs on his
tours, most of the show is old CCR and he is
smiling and happy, a must see show after not being
able to play their stuff for 20 years due to legalities. I
saw him a few months back and the audience was
standing from the front to the back for the whole
show!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 14:16
I envy you DB, he is one of the "greats"!

Posted By: Cluster One
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 15:28
The Black Crowes, hands down. (Although I still love CCR and Skynyrd)

The Crowes 1-2 punch in 'Southern Harmony & Musical Companion' and ' Amorica' is really breathtaking. When these two albums were released in early 90's I had never heard anything so passionate and a throwback to the older, heady days of rock. 'Amorica' is when Chris Robinson looked deep inside the heroin-induced state he was in at the time. A dark and moving album to say the least. It is easily one of the top 5 albums I own.

-------------
Marmalade...I like marmalade.

Posted By: Richardw
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 15:47
Little Feat for me.

Posted By: Hangedman
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 17:22
It was either Allman bors. or little feat for me, the brothers won out in the end.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 18:33
Originally posted by JCProg JCProg wrote:

My vote goes to... Gov't Mule!

Just discovered them and play them a lot in the last 3 months -watched the DVD from the Deepest End box set last night -all those great influeunces.

DB, you realise that in a stubby little country like the UK, we heard significant musical differences if you go 50 miles. Your poll seems as if you've gathered together rock musicians from  a massive lump of the SE of the USA, which are not usually stuck under the same umbrella wrt musical style.  Difficult to  compare  Leon Russell or CCR stylistically with the Allmans - each special in their own ways. Now if you had included Govt. Mule, Molly Hatchett, Outlaws, or  Marshall Tucker Band  etc......

Posted By: Cinema
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 21:13
I love Little Feat, especially Feats Don't Fail Me Now. What a great album.

Posted By: Rob The Plant
Date Posted: February 06 2005 at 23:31

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Lynard Skynard! Man they are so freakin bad. "Neil Young Should remember, Southern Man dn't want him anyhow." Isn't that how their brilliant lyric goes. I hate them jsut for that.

-------------
Collaborators will take your soul.

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 01:06

I like Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, Freebird is great, only one good album though.

Creedence has two good albums, but I'll vote LS.

Don't know the Allman Bros though, and some of the others aswel, so

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 01:13
Tough call ... for pure songwriting skill CCR gets my vote, even though the Allmans, Skynyrd and Little Feat all had superior instrumentalists ... Also ... must admit I haven't heard a single note of Dixie Dregs

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 03:12
Eagles. Never understood why so many people hate them.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 03:50
Has to be The Allman Brothers for me (ain't that right, DB? ).

Greg & Duane Allman, Dickie Betts..... pure orgasmic (bluesy)Southern Rock, all the way!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 09:07
Little Feat get my vote, though I like at least some of the albums of every artist on the list.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 09:17

Allman Brothers

I also really like The Outlaws (Green Grass...) and The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Swinton MCR
Date Posted: February 07 2005 at 09:23
Are any of em prog ? - Thought not - NEXT

-------------
Play me my song, here it comes again

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk