Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=367
Printed Date: June 07 2024 at 14:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Porcupine what??
Posted By: corbet
Subject: Porcupine what??
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 06:30

Who the heck are the Porcupine Tree, and why have I never heard of them before?  Until recently on this site, that is, and now suddenly I'm seeing their name everywhere, and they have all these spacy looking albums...

Assuming that they're awesome (everyone appears to love them), what album would you guys recommend as first purchase for this newcomer?  If it would help to be acquainted with my taste, basically...  as long as there is no damned annoying modern singer and the instrumental display is not pedestrian, I'll love it.

Thanks in advance,

Corbet

Replies:
Posted By: diddy
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 06:36
I fear you are not able to buy "some" albums because they are very rare, most of them...
I wanted to have some, but they get so expensive on eBay...the only one I have is "The Sky moves Sideways"... not my favorite (is it techno sometimes? )
But there's one album I always wanted to have "lightbulb sun"...so expensive

-------------
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 07:18
A good one to start with as an overview would be 'Coma Divine' - this is a live album from 1997(I think); you will find no pedestrian playing or damned annoying singer (I didn't mention James Labrie, did you??? ) here, just a find band on top form.

It's true many of their albums can be difficult to come by, but this is one of the exeptions; indeed, this album is now available in 2 forms, the original single disc version & a later 2 disc version with additional tracks.

The band are well worth checking out..... Just don't tell the guitarist you think they're prog-rock; he apparently has a real problem with that tag

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Tauhd Zaļa
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 07:28

I have discovered Porcupine Tree but it was impossible for me to find the records.

But I have downloaded most of them (front/back CD covers included) from the net : it is safe, easier and less expansive

May I help you ?

-------------
The State Of Grace Is Achieved

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 10:22

Corbet, I'm new into P.T. but quickly jumped on the train. They have a strong ethereal feel to most of the music, they do rock out, but are a bit restrained. Steve Wilson, the main singer, songwriter, guitarist........ has a soft whispery voice, not overly emotive (ie; LaBrie) and is more than proficient on six strings.

I would recommend Lightbulb Sun, Signify or In Absentia. The last is the newest and probably the easiest to find.

This band has many off-shoots. No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communication, Rain Tree Crow (Barbieri - Keyboards) and many others.

Good stuff, well worth the investment.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 10:36

i would reccomend StarsDie which is a  sth like a best of and that itll take you straight to the music.....

Steve Wilson (singer,guitarist,producer,keyboardist,lyric writer, )  is my god of music...  Its like he is in my head and plays whatever i want to hear

Buy everything youll find!!!  They just ROCK!

Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 11:18

Yes, Stars Die is a great compilation of the earlier P.T. stuff.

Posted By: Stormcrow
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 13:37

If you are having trouble finding CD's by "The Tree", try the used market.

For instance: http://half.ebay.com/search/search.jsp?search_by=contributor_id&meta_id=2&domain_id=1876&query=1025103799 - http://half.ebay.com/search/search.jsp?search_by=contributor _id&meta_id=2&domain_id=1876&query=1025103799

I've gotten a lot of music used.  Just be sure you pay attention to the comments with the individual listings, not ever used CD offered is in pristine condition.

Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 14:37

Amazon is a great source:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-2564267-5179153 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-256 4267-5179153

New and used. Pretty reliable on shipping which is free over $25.00.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 17:01

Great band PT, earlier stuff is more prog than the recent output. Steve Wilson is very much the star of the show. A couple of the band were once in Japan. "Stupid Dream" is I think their best album, still prog, but with some good short tracks too.

Steve Wilson has various side projects, including Noman. He also appears on the OSI album.

Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 17:17

yes yes...

the man is a god....

Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 17:25

I don't know about "god" but he is very creative and talented.

Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 20:17
yes... he told me the same thing when he used  (  )to answer in the porcupine tree forums when i told him that....it was 4 years ago i think... he said "And im not a god but thanks anyway..."

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 10:22

Originally posted by swmyg0d0fmusic swmyg0d0fmusic wrote:

yes... he told me the same thing when he used  (  )to answer in the porcupine tree forums when i told him that....it was 4 years ago i think... he said "And im not a god but thanks anyway..."

Nice to see some humility from a god.............LOL

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:02
Great guitarist, but he was a ratty bugger when we saw PT at the Canterbury festival a couple of years back.....

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:28

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Great guitarist, but he was a ratty bugger when we saw PT at the Canterbury festival a couple of years back.....

Please Jim,

Define "Ratty Bugger" for me.................. Did you meet him and he had bad breath? Didn't comb his hair?

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 11:34

Aren't that characteristics for ALL rock musicians?

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:17

...  thanks dudes!!

I figured maybe I'd discover some new music... didn't know I'd find god too!  Especially a ratty, smelly god.. getting more than I bargained for..

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:17

MAY THE GOD SHOW MERCY FOR YOU AND NOT SEND YOU TO HELL.....

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:30

God, you already have some kind of a reputation around here, after 12 posts!  I think I'll change my name to hot chick or something like that!

No, I didn't mean to offend you!

No, please! Have mercy!

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:32
why??? 

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:34

Sorry, I was just kidding about your name!  What does the 'sw' in swmyg0d0fmusic stand for anyway?

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:39

Chill out...i didnt say anything   Iwas just wondering why you said that stands for Steven Wilson.. Leader of Porcupine Tree

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 13:47
I see, one of those bands that I still have to discover! I liked the mp3's available from PT on http://www.progarchives.com - www.progarchives.com .

Date Posted: March 19 2004 at 18:53

of course you did  

Date Posted: March 22 2004 at 02:54
Yes, I have to admit it!  (you're a really big fan, aren't you? )

Date Posted: March 22 2004 at 04:30
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Please Jim,

Define "Ratty Bugger" for me.................. Did you meet him and he had bad breath? Didn't comb his hair?

The band played a storming set, don't get me wrong & seemed to be going down well, but SW wasn't happy..... He seemed to take exception to someone in the audience, who called out for a particular track between songs & in a very cross voice indeed, said to this fan something along the lines of "Oh yes! OK, we'll just chuck out the set list, so you can hear your favorite song, shall we?", at the end of the set, he said sarcastically "thank you sooooooo much for your kind attention" & strutted off stage, leaving the band looking somewhat bemused.

Hopefully, this was a one-off........

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Date Posted: March 22 2004 at 04:46

The band played a storming set, don't get me wrong & seemed to be going down well, but SW wasn't happy..... He seemed to take exception to someone in the audience, who called out for a particular track between songs & in a very cross voice indeed, said to this fan something along the lines of "Oh yes! OK, we'll just chuck out the set list, so you can hear your favorite song, shall we?", at the end of the set, he said sarcastically "thank you sooooooo much for your kind attention" & strutted off stage, leaving the band looking somewhat bemused.

Hopefully, this was a one-off........

Next he will record a double lp concept album about the experience with bricks on the cover

Date Posted: March 22 2004 at 06:15
yeah.... Wilson does those things....its the only disanvantage he has that keeps him from becoming from a half god to a full god

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk