Subject: Epica or Nightwish
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 15:42
I'm new to both the bands,
but i love swirling keybords in Nightwish's "Oceanborne" album

any recommendation,..

Replies:
Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 17:53
my fave Nightwish album is probably Wishmaster, with Century Child a close 2nd... all of the first 4 are superb IMHO... I've always struggled with Once though...

Epica's Consign to Oblivion is a good album, but tbh it doesn't set my pulse racing...Smile

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Firefly
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 17:54
fandango...what do you think of the new vocalist?  Are you missing Tarja or are you happy with the new lady?

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 17:55
Nightwish just because a hot girl got me into themLOL.

Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 18:00
Originally posted by Firefly Firefly wrote:

fandango...what do you think of the new vocalist?  Are you missing Tarja or are you happy with the new lady?

I've not heard anything by the new lady yet...  Tarja's voice was quite incredible, but there was that criticism that she didn't fit in or gel with the rest of the band, but stood aloof from them, which contributed to her downfall....Cry

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 18:01
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Nightwish just because a hot girl got me into themLOL.

that's as good a reason as any, King...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 18:06
I have to be honest...that whole type of thing isn't for me, but I do find it entertaining.  YOu know...the way the younger fans behave if the band gets a negative review, or just....the soapiness of it.  Kinda like Stratovarius, and how one of the member manages to be so....out there in where his head's at....and gets himself beaten up in Spain (or thereabouts).  Fascinating, even though...not for me.

I'm not the type to bash people for what they like...too old for that.  But I do tend to watch with interest.  All that being said...I read about Tarja's departure and all that, and waited to see who would take her place (a Swede I believe).  Decent voice, from the clip I heard.  Have to hear a whole album with the new lady though, to be fair.

Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 18:13

Kinda like Stratovarius, and how one of the member manages to be so....out there in where his head's at....and gets himself beaten up in Spain (or thereabouts). 

Now, that's quite another matter....anyone admitting to being in Stratovarius deserves to be bashed......Wink

-------------

Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 18:16

LOL  I used to think that until I grew up and realised it's pretty pointless to argue taste, and actually bash people for liking what they like.    That's when the curious watching began, which I'm quite grateful for.  Takes a lot of energy to be taste police you know.  LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 19:53
Epica, definitely

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 23:35
A cheese sandwich..., but I mean a lot of cheese if we have to run against this two

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: kazansky
Date Posted: July 17 2007 at 23:44
Epica by a mile, i don't like Nightwish

-------------
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 02:28
Epica without a doubt. I'm not really that familiar with Nightwish, but the more I listen to them the more I am sure that I don't like them.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recent Listens tracked with AwesomeProg.com:

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 09:10
dont like any on em and yes i have heard both, got a friend who like em very much but no not my taste.

-------------

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:03
Of those two I would vote for Epica, but if Evanescence was listed I would vote for them.

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

dont like any on em and yes i have heard both, got a friend who like em very much but no not my taste.

Same here.  Again, not my thing, but I'm curious if perhaps you'd like The Project Hate? 

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:14
C'mon guys...where's all the Nightwish lovin' gone....Cry

And Firefly... up to 138 posts now??  You've been a busy little insect, haven't you??Wink

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:40
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

C'mon guys...where's all the Nightwish lovin' gone....Cry

And Firefly... up to 138 posts now??  You've been a busy little insect, haven't you??Wink
awww...I think I was just too seriously into brutal forms of metal to appreciate it.  And to some degree, that still stands.  Can't stand any of the power metal/goth rock hybrids.  Not a single one.  But I still like to read about them, so it's not directed at them personally, and when something new comes out, I give it a try, because you never know when a band you dislike makes that one album your life wouldn't be quite the same without. 

And sometimes it takes years for some things to click.  Like with me and Tom Waits.  For so many years I really couldn't understand why so many people liked and revered him.  It took a Primus song, and then accidentally hearing the first track off "Mule variations" for the lightbulb to off....that "aaaah" moment. 

I'm not saying it's going to happen with this stuff, but I'm also never saying never.  I'll try things out that people suggest (it's no skin off my nose), but I'm actually painfully picky.

And fandango, I'm pretty sure that most of those happened yesterday under the influence of a bit of red wine.  As well as being picky, I'm also cheap with alcohol.  2 Glasses and I'm chattty and silly.  Made way too many polls (thank god or the moderators that the Icelandic one disappeared), and talked my little butt off.

Hahahha.  That's me.  I get a little tipsy, and not only do I love the world, but I get verbal diarrhea.

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:02

And sometimes it takes years for some things to click.  Like with me and Tom Waits.  

Oh dear God no... not Tom bloody Waits...Dead I had an ex girlfriend who was into him, and believe me...I've suffered enough of his drone to last a lifetime...Confused

And fandango, I'm pretty sure that most of those happened yesterday under the influence of a bit of red wine.  As well as being picky, I'm also cheap with alcohol.  2 Glasses and I'm chattty and silly.  Made way too many polls (thank god or the moderators that the Icelandic one disappeared), and talked my little butt off.

And all the while, a man was being barbecued alive in a giant wicker basket, only in the other room..Shocked.... you heartless cow!!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:14
HAHAHAHAH!!!  Ok, all that being said, I listne to Tom Waits quite seldom, but the point was that I learned to appreciate him, when I used to actually question people why on earth they'd buy such rubbish.

As for the barbequed man in the other room last night, it was the only way to stop him from butting into my polls.  Nice drummer or no nice drummer! hahahahahahaha

Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:31
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

Of those two I would vote for Epica, but if Evanescence was listed I would vote for them.

*blarg* ... there goes my dinner.Wink

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recent Listens tracked with AwesomeProg.com:

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: July 18 2007 at 18:29
Not really heard much from either of them, but Epica seem more interesting to me.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: July 19 2007 at 20:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

*blarg* ... there goes my dinner.Wink

I just got an urgent need of commiting suicide after reading that... please dont ever do that again Wayward Son... I might fust jump out the window next time

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 11:42
wow

both are almost equal

Date Posted: July 20 2007 at 13:08
Originally posted by R o V e R R o V e R wrote:

both are almost equal

but some are more equal than others...Wink

-------------

Posted By: Rimantas B.
Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 03:58
I've tried to listen to Epica, but I found it just to be a rip-off of Nightwish.
As it often is with rip-offs, the original is far better.

Date Posted: July 21 2007 at 05:24
^ it's strange then that they don't sound similar.

-------------

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: November 17 2007 at 15:13
I prefer Nightwish - Oceanborn is one of the best albums of the '90's, very well played. Now the new Nightwish is awfull, it's a shame because they release some gret albums at the turn of the century. Epica i lke also the newest one from 2007 is quite good and the one from 2005 Consign to oblivion is good, but i 'm staying with Nightwish, Both are not among my fav. bands but are very ok.

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 17 2007 at 15:34
I checked both of these bands out vaguely. Epica was pretty good when I saw my friend open for them. Nightwish just sounded ok.

Posted By: limeyrob
Date Posted: November 18 2007 at 04:47
I would have said that both bands are great but that was until their respective last albums. Epica's was very poor - too much growling and thrash at the end of most tracks. Nightwish's is brilliant.

Also - have you tried Within Temptation?

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: November 18 2007 at 08:36
almost anything would be better than Nightwish...Epica certainly is

Posted By: Nuke
Date Posted: January 07 2008 at 15:37
3 words:

consign to oblivion

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Seabury">

Posted By: Draconis
Date Posted: March 16 2008 at 01:01
I've been listening to both these bands lately. I really like some of Epica's material, but they're hit-and-miss for me, whereas Nightwish is consistently outstanding. Also, the grunting takes something away from Epica's presentation. Done very sparingly, it adds something. But Epica relies on it far too much, imo. It gets old quickly.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk