Print Page | Close Window

How much do you practice? Petrucci?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Tech Talk
Forum Description: Discuss musical instruments, equipment, hi-fi, speakers, vinyl, gadgets,etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41785
Printed Date: June 15 2024 at 14:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How much do you practice? Petrucci?
Posted By: activetopics
Subject: How much do you practice? Petrucci?
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 09:24
I personally practice about an average of an hour a day, practicing all of my weaknesses.

John petrucci, on the other hand, claims to have practiced 6 hours daily, along with John Myung. Am i the only one who finds that claim to be irrational and down right silly?

Replies:
Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 09:27
I think that these artists are indeed practicing several hours a day, but I doubt that they *average* at 6 hours - it's like sports: you have to give the body time to recover.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 09:31
Maybe half an hour of singing and abusing my keyboard daily. I'm not really practising towards anything and I'm not systematic enough to have a routine. I'm just seeing what I can do.

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: FruMp
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 09:36
I'm really bad at working and practising but I practise drums religiously for about an hour a day just because they are so damn fun.

I could never practise properly for guitar but I'm still decent after a few years, just too sloppy.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 09:50

I can fully believe he practices 6 hours a day: a couple of hours in the morning, an hour after lunch, an hour before tea time and a couple of hours before he goes to bed.

I've known a couple of dedicated guitarists who live to play and just play whenever they can, even while watching TV - for people like that 6 hours is nothing; 6 hours to them is actually 18 hours of guitarless withdrawal. (Have you ever been in a bar with a drummer? They just cannot stop tapping - drumming their fingers, their feet, the beer glass, the table - it's like a subconscious reation to anything musical - they have to drum along - some guitarists are the same).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:02
^ of course it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone ... at least a physician should be consulted in order to avoid injuries like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:09
I'd also question whether practicing that much was actually beneficial at all, and whether it could in reality produce a worse guitarist.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:17
I could understand it if you did it for work. Some studio guitarists have to be able to play everything and always. and six hours a day is like doing a normal 8 hour shift at the construction yard. If you make bad music that doesn't make you rich, it's harly worth the time spent, but sure, I've had weeks too when I practise like 5 hours a day. Finger practise is easy during some tv program, or you could just put some music on and play along. Developes the ear quite well. I doubt Petrucci spends all his time between 14:00-20:00 shredding the hell out of his musicman.

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 10:23
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ of course it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone ... at least a physician should be consulted in order to avoid injuries like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

AW......... this is ROCK not a health farm! IT's LOUD and you play til yer fingers bleed!

Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:09
^ I don't mind my fingers bleeding but the blood corrodes the strings!Wink

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:17
I never practice. Learning to play correctly might be bad for my unique and highly artistic style. Also, I rarely bother to tune my guitar, because tuned instruments sound so commercial.

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:33
my brother practices an average of about 6 hours a day ....and believe me he does, it's really loud when my door's open

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:36
One of my few regrets from my "playing" days is that I didn't practice my guitar for even 6 hours a month, much less per day!  I spent way too much time being lazy or distracted when, since I wasn't born a natural virtuoso, it was the only thing that would have made me a better musician, writer and bandmate.  When you run in the crowd that Petrucci runs in I would think that dedication on that scale would be mandatory so, yes, I believe it.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:40
Practise makes perfect they say - all tutors recommend at least an hour every day, there are physical and mental considerations to be met for a musician, as with a practitioner of every art or instrument. Hendrix is reputed to have spent almost every waking moment practising - watching the TV, at a party and it is said he even slept with his guitar (Confused)......no need to get that dedicated, but an hour or two a day (warm up - study - followed by daft fun things) with the guitar in tune keeps my head in tune! Wink

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: darren
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 12:31
I have a friend who now teaches guitar. He went to GIT in California. He played drums in the "family band" (mom played piano, dad played guitar, brother played bass, etc.) and when he was about 12 he decided he didn't want to be the cute kid on drums. So, he picked up one of his brother's old guitars and really liked it. I went over to visit and he had the guitar strapped to him while he watched tv, got something to drink, had a snack, and even to get the mail in the apartment building. Yeah, there was food on the neck and strings, the guitar was dented from the banging into furniture and things but his mother put up with it because she saw he had talent and an interest.
 Years later, I asked him how much he practices a day. He said he didn't know, he just liked doodling around with it. On days off, he'd strap the guitar on in the morning and go about his day, playing as he went. Sometimes scales, sometimes riffs, sometimes the music that was on the tv.
I think the key is that some people love to play the guitar and don't think of it as practice. To them (maybe Mr. Petrucci) it's not "practice".and it's probably not as intense as someone who practices for an hour. Another thing I notice is that some work practice around their day while some work their day around their playing. 

-------------
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen

Posted By: Arrrghus
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 12:46
I play about 2 hours during the day (maybe more), but I wouldn't call it practice. The way I "practice" is that learn a new song. I plod along until I have it down. But to me, I'm just playing. I'm having fun. Learning stuff by ear is the best (IMO)

The way I learn scales is by soloing with that scale. (And I learned jazz guitar by reading theory books). Sometimes I make up a chord progression and try to play a lead that harmonically fits with it (Ex: I might play C9 C#9 D9 Amaj7 Bbmaj7 B7 and then diddle around with pentatonics and various modes).

I guess I built up speed by just goofing around on scales. Sometimes I do finger exercises (I actually like them, they're like brain games) but I just forget most of the time.

I can very easily see Petrucci playing that much. To get that level of skill, he must play that much. Lucky him, he probably has the time. He is probably way more disciplined than I am, though. I learn and strengthen my skills by goofing around - he probably has a set regimen (like Steve Vai).

I also agree with the "6 hours of playing means 18 hours without playing" statement. So true, so true.

-------------

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 14:49
Six hours a day is certainly not unheard of.

When you consider that playing guitar is his "job", and most people work forty hour weeks, it doesn't sound that much.

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 14:54
I wouldn't be surprised if he practices that much... it's his full time job after all.

Posted By: activetopics
Date Posted: September 17 2007 at 17:34
herm...i suppose it's possible. it seems i stand corrected 

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: September 18 2007 at 08:06
However I'd like to make a note here for all of you beginner guitarists, one thing my teacher said to me and I tell my students always. If you don't feel like practising one day or you feel like you have something else to do, just pick up the guitar and sit with it on your lap. You'll soon notice that you're playing it. And that's almost the best exercise, getting used to the guitar, like holding a pen or wearing glasses.

Posted By: N Ellingworth
Date Posted: September 18 2007 at 13:00

^ I don't mind my fingers bleeding but the blood corrodes the strings!Wink

I hate it when that happens...... Wink

Of course once the strings got their revenge, getting a .09 string through your thumb is really painful.

Posted By: jmcdaniel_ee
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 13:04
I remember Zappa mentioned that he never practiced when he wasn't touring or recording.  He wasn't exactly slow or un-innovative (yes, I know that's an understatement.) 

I guess it comes down to what you want to do.  I write and record in my spare time, so I need to play all the instruments, and I certainly don't have time to pratice each one to be a virtuoso.  Some fellow guitarists can shred circles around me.  On the other hand, I can relate easier to the drummer or keyboard player if we're tweaking an arrangement.

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by activetopics activetopics wrote:

I personally practice about an average of an hour a day, practicing all of my weaknesses.

John petrucci, on the other hand, claims to have practiced 6 hours daily, along with John Myung. Am i the only one who finds that claim to be irrational and down right silly?

I practice bass (and even guitar, sometimes) an average of 2 hours a day. Sometimes a little less, and it helps me a lot to progress on my playing. I think Petrucci and Myung say truth when they say they've played 6 hours a day, because their technique is impeccable. You can easily realise a lot of effort was put on there! Clap

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Barla/?chartstyle=LastfmMyspace">

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:59
Actually, he claims he practices 63 hours a day, not 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1ccnC1GI&feature=related -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1ccnC1GI&feature=related

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 22:08
He told me the same thing when I ate with him at Burger King...it's not the most unusual thing in the world....he lives 5 minute away. I first met him at work when he needed an air filter.

But it is not unheard of at all.
I take an hour to warm-up and then 2 hours the maintain my skill...that means, I got nothing out of it. If I practice 6 hours a day I learn something and get better. It also has to be consistent to or else you fingers won't develop and get stronger/faster. 6 hours would be a norm for someone that wants to be precise and just a really good player.

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 22:16
I try giving guitar at most an hour a day, then as much time as I possibly care for my bass and keyboard.

-------------

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 22:22
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

He told me the same thing when I ate with him at Burger King...it's not the most unusual thing in the world....he lives 5 minute away. I first met him at work when he needed an air filter.

But it is not unheard of at all.
I take an hour to warm-up and then 2 hours the maintain my skill...that means, I got nothing out of it. If I practice 6 hours a day I learn something and get better. It also has to be consistent to or else you fingers won't develop and get stronger/faster. 6 hours would be a norm for someone that wants to be precise and just a really good player.

Damn....apparently I never even warm up Confused

No wonder I'm not any good.  Cry

-------------

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: November 23 2007 at 22:24
Man, no wonder I can never play anything better.Confused

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 06:46

Learning the correct technique in the first place means you will in all likelyhood, never develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. i like to stress the importance of playing the guitar with the strap set at reasonable height when standing up, very important when playing technical styles of electric guitar. I myself often use large intervallic lines, sometimes utilising wide single string stretches, and as such, i wear my guitar pretty high, normally at pretty much the same height as John Petrucci, and if im playing stuff that needs even wider stretches, i raise the guitar up even more. As i often tell people, better to sacrifice supposed coolness and wear your guitar high to avoid injury in the future so i can still play when im 55 (if not longer), then to look 'cool' now and wear the guitar low and probably get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome when im 30 (im 19 now), and never be able to play again.

-------------

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 13:30
I usually play 15-30 minutes a day, just for fun. Sometimes up to 2 hours, but that rarely happen

Posted By: Mourndark
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 15:34
As a pianist, I normally just start playing just to relax, but normally end up playing for about two hours and properly practicing part of whatever I'm playing. Some of the stuff (especially Emerson) I can only play for so long before my fingers give up and my wrists start grating... I've just started doing proper(ish) technical exercises as well as too much rock playing has left my left hand slow. I probably would play for six hours if I had time.

If I haven't played for a while (a few days or more), I keep getting really bad twitches in my hands (does anyone else get this, I'm a bit worried...) I often find myself drumming on surfaces a lot as well.

Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 16:56
As for how much i practice, it varies between 1 to 7 hours a day, but it averages out around 3 hours a day. I spend at least 20 to 30mins warming up, typically doing chromatic alternate picking, alternate picking in modes, legato exercises, sweep picking, and two hand tapping exercises, all to a metronome of course. i typically start off doing the chromatic picking exercises in a clean amp setting, as a good judgement of accuracy, before turning the gain well up for legato, tapping and sweep picking and any other alternate picking exercises. Then i run through songs in order to develop other aspects of  technique, such as string bending, vibrato, pinch harmonics, etc.

-------------

Posted By: Poser
Date Posted: January 10 2008 at 17:08
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Actually, he claims he practices 63 hours a day, not 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1ccnC1GI&feature=related -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1ccnC1GI&feature=related

Damn! You beat me to it! I was going through the whole thread to see if someone said that.
"For my chops, I would usually be on a strict diet of potatoes and small mammals....Small mammals are good for the hands." LOL

-------------

Posted By: mac5150
Date Posted: January 12 2008 at 19:32

About 2 hours or so for me. 

As far as Petrucci, I would think it would depend as to what we think "practice" means.  It could be be theory, stretching or other excercieses to keep in playing shape.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: January 12 2008 at 19:46
I practice about two hours a day. I usually start with something from the "Well-Tempered Clavier" and end improvising. at other times Friede joins me, and I accompany her while she sings Lieder by Brahms, Schubert or Schumann; then we usually wind up improvising along some jazz standards

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: January 12 2008 at 19:47
I (shamefully) admit that I do not practice as much as I should if I want to improve my technique. I really only practice with my band which is about once a week. It is a good amount of playing but still not enough to justify not playing the rest of the week. I plan to step it up this year and get down to it

It may seem like playing bass is a chore, it's not I just want to do so many things with my free time that I find it hard to gauge my mood and pick up my bass and play. I also have piano practice to cope with as well.

You can probably guess how often I do that.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: January 12 2008 at 20:50
Depends, but minimum one hour a day. I've been up to 5 hours a day, but that rarely happends.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: January 12 2008 at 22:58
How many minutes on average, do people spend using the metronome in practice sessions? I tend to aim for at least 30 mins a day if i can, sometimes over an hour.

-------------

Posted By: Jshutt64
Date Posted: January 12 2008 at 23:35
I try to practice about 2 hours each day. Sometimes it gets hard though, with school and all.

And, like others have said, practicing that much isn't unrealistic when your only job is to kick ass at the guitar. Wink

Posted By: 7/8_owns_4/4
Date Posted: January 16 2008 at 16:27
i'm not the kind of guy to plan out my practices. I just go down to my basement and play until i feel like stopping. Sometimes for 2 hours, and sometimes for 15 minutes.

-------------
Get a 7 string or get out.

Posted By: Era V.
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 09:26
When I was in music college I averaged about 4-6 hours a day, meaning sometimes I'd play for more like 8.  Unfortunately that only lasted a year before I had to go get a job etc. 

I'd say nowadays I average around 45 minutes a day but I'm working towards getting that up to about two hours.  When I'm writing new material it's a real motivator to practise as I'm constantly writing things that involve me having to practise scale and arpeggio patterns for ages before I can nail them.  Being in a prog band really keeps you on your toes in that way, haha.

Posted By: Real Paradox
Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 14:41
Originally posted by Era V. Era V. wrote:

When I was in music college I averaged about 4-6 hours a day, meaning sometimes I'd play for more like 8.  Unfortunately that only lasted a year before I had to go get a job etc. 

I'd say nowadays I average around 45 minutes a day but I'm working towards getting that up to about two hours.  When I'm writing new material it's a real motivator to practise as I'm constantly writing things that involve me having to practise scale and arpeggio patterns for ages before I can nail them.  Being in a prog band really keeps you on your toes in that way, haha.

What Prog band are you in?

-------------
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...

Date Posted: January 23 2008 at 15:30
Era Vulgaris

www.myspace.com/eravulgaris

Prog-metal really.

Date Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:02
Originally posted by Era V. Era V. wrote:

Not sure why it is, but i find it very easy to get slack with Arpeggios (but that i really mean sweep picked arpeggios), not that I'm bad at sweeping, although my Legato, Alternate picking and two hand tapping remain very much ahead. I've even known one person that could sweep pick like no tommorow, but hardly alternate pick properly, and his legato and two handed tapping were even worse.

-------------

Date Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:46
It's very easy once you start becoming a 'good' guitarist to keep on practising what you improve at the fastest.  Sweep picking is my achilles heel too with alternate picking being my top skill.  I really have to force myself to practise sweeping because psychologically, this far ahead in the game of guitar playing, it's harder to deal with the frustration of not being able to do something straight away.  The way I can with alternate picking or legato or tapping for instance.

Date Posted: January 24 2008 at 08:58
Just a question Era V. Can you give me an idea of how fast you are at certain techniques? For alternate picking my average maximum speed is 210bpm in 16th notes ( 14 notes per second), and my legato run average maximum (3 note per string ideas) at 160bpm in 16th note triplets (16 notes per second. Also i can do 7 finger tapping (just tell me how fingers you can use).

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2008 at 13:33
Why...is there a competition going on?  Haha.  I have no idea man and to be honest I couldn't care less, I play up to the speed I need to.  I've never approached music from a technical side except when it came to learning theory.  I do know that there's no difference in speed for me between alternate and legato.  If I play legato as fast as I can (three note patterns like you said) I can switch to alternate and stick with the metronome.  I'm fairly sure I could play 16ths at 210 though...possibly even in one of our songs...never actually sat down and measured it though.

As for tapping, I can do with 7 but not particularly fast, can do some nice chord based things at a moderate speed with 7 fingers, sometimes eight if the voicing requires.

But it's not about speed y'know...it's about clarity, note distinction and maintaining character!

Date Posted: January 26 2008 at 22:47
It's not that I really consciously think about the technical side of playing when i play guitar, unless your a robot, because to I like to let the playing flow more natural as the primary thing, with technique and theory being there when needed. I tend to only know how fast I can play from my warm up exercises in which i use a metronome. When I'm actually playing along to a song, or improvising, rarely do I think in terms of "Let's use the A major 2 octave arpeggios", usually it's a case of I know what an arpeggios or a certain place in a scale sounds like without consciously thinking about what note/ part of scale/ arpeggios I'm playing.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: January 27 2008 at 06:18
I don't practice Petrucci at all any time any day. Tongue

And anyway, if Petrucci practices 6 hours a day, do I really need to spend any time practicing Petrucci, myself?

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: tremulant
Date Posted: January 30 2008 at 07:35
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I never practice. Learning to play correctly might be bad for my unique and highly artistic style. Also, I rarely bother to tune my guitar, because tuned instruments sound so commercial.

Hahaha! Clap

-------------
My solo music: http://www.myspace.com/anthropiate - ANTHROPIATE

Posted By: nightlamp
Date Posted: January 30 2008 at 15:52
When I was in music school I would usually spend at least 3-4 hours a day in the practice room working on pieces, technique stuff, and just improvising.  Now I play my drumset an hour or so a day-- not really "practicing" with any set goals in mind, just playing.  If a particular mood strikes me I might play some marimba (need to do this more, my chops have atrophied pretty bad), hand drums, guitar, or synthy stuff, but I'm much less consistent with playing any of these.

Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

(Have you ever been in a bar with a drummer? They just cannot stop tapping - drumming their fingers, their feet, the beer glass, the table - it's like a subconscious reation to anything musical - they have to drum along - some guitarists are the same).

I've been known to drive people insane with my tapping...

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: January 31 2008 at 07:22
Sometimes I don't touch my instruments for two days (rarely) sometimes I play 4 hours...

On  average, I play more than 1 hour per day...

And I don't practice, I just play. If I practice anything that's my songwriting skill. I play mostly acoustic guitar and keyboards...if I PLAY keyboards, it's usually the standard piano. If I'm doing the synth sounds, I'm more exploring sound palettes than playing.

Most of the time I play guitar. I'm playing for 15 years, and I NEVER EVER learned to play someone else's songs. If you ask my to play some Bob Dylan, I wouldn't be able...nor I want to. Why playing someone else's songs? Guitar is MY tool for expressing myself. I play mostly jazzy chords, pseudo-classical segments and some rock chords...while experimenting with scales and harmonies, sometimes bordering avant-rock, but I suck at this.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 02:13
Clarke 2001: Most of the time I play guitar. I'm playing for 15 years, and I NEVER EVER learned to play someone else's songs. If you ask my to play some Bob Dylan, I wouldn't be able...nor I want to. Why playing someone else's songs?

Most guitarists would probably think totally otherwise. Learning to play other people's songs, contrary to many people's belief, tends to in fact be probably the best way to develop your own style and voice on the guitar. I myself could only play maybe, less than 10 songs from start to end, but I have been through many magazines and websites, just looking for licks. For example, I might watch a Steve Vai DVD, steal some of his licks, but never use them exactly in my own songs or improvisations. I draw inspiration from other people's licks, but I sit there, play that lick over and over, and eventually I will say "add this/take away that from this lick/play this in a different part of the fretboard", and eventually, the lick takes on a new voice, no longer Vai's lick, but in fact mine. Having said that, you can still certainly develop your own voice on the guitar, but playing other people's songs/licks can make that process more fun, easier and can expand your mind on the possibilties of your own playing while looking at someone else's.
And I found, certain songs I've learnt to play,or songs I've learnt to play bits from, i tend to enjoy the experience of listening to that certain muscians/group of muscians more, because you can appreciate the time and effort put into the songs even more IMHO.

-------------

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 02:54
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Clarke 2001: Most of the time I play guitar. I'm playing for 15 years, and I NEVER EVER learned to play someone else's songs. If you ask my to play some Bob Dylan, I wouldn't be able...nor I want to. Why playing someone else's songs?

Most guitarists would probably think totally otherwise. Learning to play other people's songs, contrary to many people's belief, tends to in fact be probably the best way to develop your own style and voice on the guitar. I myself could only play maybe, less than 10 songs from start to end, but I have been through many magazines and websites, just looking for licks. For example, I might watch a Steve Vai DVD, steal some of his licks, but never use them exactly in my own songs or improvisations. I draw inspiration from other people's licks, but I sit there, play that lick over and over, and eventually I will say "add this/take away that from this lick/play this in a different part of the fretboard", and eventually, the lick takes on a new voice, no longer Vai's lick, but in fact mine. Having said that, you can still certainly develop your own voice on the guitar, but playing other people's songs/licks can make that process more fun, easier and can expand your mind on the possibilties of your own playing while looking at someone else's.
And I found, certain songs I've learnt to play,or songs I've learnt to play bits from, i tend to enjoy the experience of listening to that certain muscians/group of muscians more, because you can appreciate the time and effort put into the songs even more IMHO.

I agree with you, I really do...and I know I am lonely in my case. But I guess I had enough time (15 yrs or so) to develop my own style. I'm missing a lotta fun for sure...but I'm having fun anyway. My knowledge is full of ignorance gaps, but which one's isn't?

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 20:09
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

I agree with you, I really do...and I know I am lonely in my case. But I guess I had enough time (15 yrs or so) to develop my own style. I'm missing a lotta fun for sure...but I'm having fun anyway. My knowledge is full of ignorance gaps, but which one's isn't?

Well it's definitely not too late to start incorporating the playing of other artist's songs into your practice time. I could almost guarantee that it will help with your song writing. Also, with each of your respective instruments, try to find some time in your day, even if it's just 15 mins, to spend some time actually practicing, as more technique can add to the range of things you do (of course given that extra technique is applied in a tastefull manner), and generally makes playing more fun. i too used to simple play, and not actually practice, and when I started to properly practice, within a few months, the extra technique and theory I knew gave me the feeling of having set myself 'free' in a way, free to do more, explore more within myself musically and artistically.

-------------

Posted By: SpaceMonkey
Date Posted: February 01 2008 at 21:47
Yngwie Malmsteen claims to have practised 15 hours a day. He wanted to follow in the foot steps of the great Italian violinist Nicolo Paganini where he was forced, by his father, to practice that much daily from the age of 5 to his mid teens.

I like to treat practicing as if it were muscle training. It basically is in a nutshell. I'll play maybe 2-3 a day with "building my chops," learning songs, learning how to read the fretboard and all fun jazz. It is fine if you practice a healthy diet, warm up properly and never over exert yourself.

Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 03:07
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey SpaceMonkey wrote:

Yngwie Malmsteen claims to have practised 15 hours a day. He wanted to follow in the foot steps of the great Italian violinist Nicolo Paganini where he was forced, by his father, to practice that much daily from the age of 5 to his mid teens.

I like to treat practicing as if it were muscle training. It basically is in a nutshell. I'll play maybe 2-3 a day with "building my chops," learning songs, learning how to read the fretboard and all fun jazz. It is fine if you practice a healthy diet, warm up properly and never over exert yourself.

You would almost think practising that much would extremely harmful. The most in one day I have ever practised was 11 hours, and I only did that once. Over the last 2 months, on at least 3 occasions I played upwards of 7 hours a day, but I find playing for really long tests your concentration, and if you play without breaks,  your attention span can fail you a bit and you play a little sloppy.

-------------

Posted By: Evans
Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 08:35
Well, you can only learn new things when your synapses have adapted to the thing you learned the day before, so if you play 15 hours a day, you're not going to get WORSE than if you play 3, but not necessarily better either.

-------------

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:43
Not enough.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Date Posted: February 10 2008 at 17:36
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Not enough.

LOL
How much do you practice then?

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 03:29
About an hour/day - I always end up just listening after that. I'm self-taught, so I mostly listen to a song, play it my way, and the control it with a tab. It's often quite correct, though LOL.

I just find it hard to start with scales and the like. Tends to bore me way too soon... 

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 04:45
I'm self taught as well, but a lot of people believe I have had lessons, because I use very 'correct' scale fingerings and my left hand fingers are very economical.
Well I used to find myself in the same rut, hated practicing scales. Then one day I decided to just sit down and force myself to do it, and now, I have no regrets, because I'm so much more free to do things on the guitar. I liken it to being 'set free' in a way.

-------------

Posted By: Evans
Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 11:47
I consider my self self-untaught. Meaning i am my own teacher, but i don't teach.

-------------

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'

Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 11:58
LOL. Guess it adds up to that.

-------------

Posted By: 7540113804746400000
Date Posted: February 18 2008 at 09:22
I have a cycle when I'm not doing anything or having band practice. I sit on my computer, then get bored and play drums, then get tired and wonder around a bit, then end up back at my computer, then i get bored and play drums.... I don't know how many hours I practice, but the cycle is very effective.

-------------
I'm enormously powerful and handsome

Posted By: Wallium
Date Posted: February 18 2008 at 21:41
The truth is, is you want to be the best, you have to put in the time to be the best.  If we all could become legendary on an hour a day alone, no one would stand out.

For me, I get an hour or two of practice in a day (not including playing during the school day and band performances), between 4 instruments..... pitiful I know.

-------------
Mens sceptrum totus

Date Posted: February 19 2008 at 02:07
^Well in recent weeks, due to school starting again, I had not been practicing enough IMO (an hour a day, not enough for me), so I have been forced to make myself a more planned daily schedule to ensure I get at least 2 hours practice, as well as upping my metronome workouts from the recent weeks 15minutes, to 30 minutes plus.

-------------

Posted By: Statutory-Mike
Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:28
I actually envy those with a routine. When I'm not playing guitar I'm playing hockey and when I'm not playing hockey I'm playing guitar...but inbetween playing guitar or hockey I also listen to music and go on the computer...to learn new things on guitar or new dekes or 'dangles' in hockey.

-------------

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:33
I've been solo-jamming in phyrgian mode and trying to be stricter with my left hand play on the keyboard - often I find myself just picking out bass notes when chords would be better... but I don't do it so that I can become the very best or whatever nonsense. I'm a songwriter, I'll never be a stunning performer, and by jamming I'm mining for song ideas. I never write anything based around a technique - I'll leave that to the shredders - but I do uncover a lot of progressions that I've heard in cabaret or in jazz-tinged music and stored away, never to try and consciously learn. That's my style. =)

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:47
I'm a bit confused today, I've decided to try some different plectrums and bought a few Clayton 0.45mm Ultem picks and 0.5mm Acetal picks to replace my rapidly aging Gibson Ms (0.75mm) and I'm finding that instantly I'm more creative and have written more today than in the past 2 months! Am I really weird or were the Gibson picks holding me back?

Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:52
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

I'm a bit confused today, I've decided to try some different plectrums and bought a few Clayton 0.45mm Ultem picks and 0.5mm Acetal picks to replace my rapidly aging Gibson Ms (0.75mm) and I'm finding that instantly I'm more creative and have written more today than in the past 2 months! Am I really weird or were the Gibson picks holding me back?

things like that have happened to me before like once when I changed my strings to ernie ball I "magically" was able to write more material and was a lot more focused....I think it was just in my head..just like what I think about your pick situation...it's all in our heads.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 15:03
That's probably the case I know that I've been looking forward to try these new picks out (I ordered them a couple of days ago) but I didn't think that the effect would be this good.

On the subject of strings, I've never understood why people like Ernie Ball strings, I've always preferred D'Addarios and Rotosounds. Ok for one of my guitars I don't have a choice when it comes to strings as D'Addario make the only double ball end strings I'd trust (yeah I've got a Steinberger).

Going back to the main subject of the thread, my university studies have really got in the way recently but now that I've got all my coursework out of the way for the moment I'm hoping I can start practising a lot more and therefore write and record more music.  

Posted By: ClassicRocker
Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 22:05
I try to do 1 hour a day of piano (of course if i skip I have to play longer other times) - personally striving (...struggling LOL) to make the school's jazz ensemble for next year, which needs a new keyboard player.
It's cool to see so many self-taught people here. Personally, I feel like I need someone telling me what I'm doing wrong to get anywhereEmbarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2008 at 22:07
Steve Vai had practiced 10 hours a day when he was around 14 or 15...I read a lot about it and it's actually transcribed in an issue of 'Guitar World' with Vai and Satch on the cover..I think the issue was called 'Return of the Shred' or something like that.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 05:38
^^ Vai has posted his 10-Hour workout numerous times through the magazine. I remember reading how he has improved upon even more. Instead of 10 hours now, it's 30 hours stretched between 3 days. (That would be 10 a day for three days for our mathematically impaired membersWink) But all he does is give more time to each area being trained/conditioned. I forget where I've seen this one at, though. I want to say it was GW, but I'd have to find the article.

Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 06:02

^^ Vai has posted his 10-Hour workout numerous times through the magazine. I remember reading how he has improved upon even more. Instead of 10 hours now, it's 30 hours stretched between 3 days. (That would be 10 a day for three days for our mathematically impaired membersWink) But all he does is give more time to each area being trained/conditioned. I forget where I've seen this one at, though. I want to say it was GW, but I'd have to find the article.

I think it was the January 2008 issue of GW, I also recall seeing the article, where Vai and Satch are interviewed together,  along with Vai being interviewed about his 20th Anniversary JEM Ibanez, then a lesson on Surfing With The Alien, followed by the 30 hour workout.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 07:29

It had to be way before Jan. of this year. It's been at lest 3 months since I last purchased an issue. I just don't remember. But I have seen the 20th Anniversary JEM Ibanez and it is a beauty.

Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 14:06

It had to be way before Jan. of this year. It's been at lest 3 months since I last purchased an issue. I just don't remember. But I have seen the 20th Anniversary JEM Ibanez and it is a beauty.

Amen...it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. Hopefully that will be the next guitar I purchase...I've only got about $2,000 more to save up LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Amen...it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. Hopefully that will be the next guitar I purchase...I've only got about $2,000 more to save up LOL

$2000 moreShocked. I just purchased the Petrucci signature, older model. I blew only $1200 on that and I never really planned on going beyond that. Unless The lower model JEM decides to drop a little.

Date Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:26
I'm building my own guitar at the moment and it's only going to cost me £250, I've only got the body, neck, and bridge at the moment, I should be getting everything else I need next month. It's only going to be a Stratocaster copy but I'm using really decent components like some Fender TexMex pickups and a Wilkinson VS100 tremolo.

Date Posted: February 22 2008 at 03:04

I'm building my own guitar at the moment and it's only going to cost me £250, I've only got the body, neck, and bridge at the moment, I should be getting everything else I need next month. It's only going to be a Stratocaster copy but I'm using really decent components like some Fender TexMex pickups and a Wilkinson VS100 tremolo.

Tell me how it is when you get it built.

Date Posted: February 22 2008 at 03:45

Tell me how it is when you get it built.

Oh, a bit more information on the other specifications would be nice tooSmile.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2008 at 04:30
Just posted a new thread with the full specification and a picture of what I've got at the moment Wink

Date Posted: February 26 2008 at 01:58
Does anyone have any information on how much Shawn Lane practiced per day? I've been looking around, but haven't yet been able to find anything about it, so hopefully someone can enlighten me on this.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk