Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41919
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 07:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Peter Gabriel Is In Crossover!!!
Posted By: Dim
Subject: Peter Gabriel Is In Crossover!!!
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 21:24

YES!!!!!

THE ALMIGHTY PG HAS BEEN PROMOTED TO A MORE HONARABLE POSITION!!!

Allright guys this makes me very happy, he desreves this!

Hug

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 21:46
the hell with this....a move that people like.  We can't be having any of that...  moving him back to PR.  Listening to you all bitch about this stuff is much more fun LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: FranMuzak
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:06
Perfect!
I agree his solo career deserves more than just a Prog related tag. I think crossover is the right sub-genre for his music.

Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:12
it was a good move for him.... he is the first of those we think are better off out of PR.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:15
Definately!!!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though and put Led Zeppelin in heavy prog. If we did that I would immediately leave!

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:17
^ so would I LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:17
I actually agree with a collab?!?!

I'm gonna write this in my journal right now!!!

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 22:20
Clap Thumbs%20Up   great move

..and I wouldn't worry about Zep in Heavy.. they weren't prog (and I'm a Ledhead from way back)

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 23:12
ClapClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 23:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the hell with this....a move that people like.  We can't be having any of that...  moving him back to PR.  Listening to you all bitch about this stuff is much more fun LOL

As usual, I miss all the fun due to my different timesCry.... I can't believe my eyes, though! Somebody who's actually HAPPY at one of our decisions... What's the world (i.e. PA) coming to?WinkTongueLOL

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: September 21 2007 at 23:47
So when Peter said he left Genesis to write pop songs, what did that mean? ;-)

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 02:10
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

So when Peter said he left Genesis to write pop songs, what did that mean? ;-)

It means Gabriel, as usual, was playing by his own rules.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 02:27
Great!

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 02:31
A move that's (almost) congratulated by everyone!! What a happy moment!! I'm all tears of joy. CryCry

Excellent move, it was bound to happen. Thumbs%20UpClapTongue

-------------

Posted By: jimmy_row
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 02:44
yes yes, very nice move...though I won't enjoy his music any more or less.

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

As usual, I miss all the fun due to my different timesCry.... I can't believe my eyes, though! Somebody who's actually HAPPY at one of our decisions... What's the world (i.e. PA) coming to?WinkTongueLOL

there will always be complainers looming about, but there are still many of us who appreciate the many little things that are less noticeable, so I hope you collabs don't feel like we by-standers are looking to piss on everything that is done (ahem....micky and Raff.......some of us are actually happy to have BOC hereLOLThumbs%20Up

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 05:09

You're getting cynical in your old age micky.Smile

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 05:13
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

the hell with this....a move that people like.  We can't be
having any of that...  moving him back to PR.  Listening to
you all bitch about this stuff is much more fun LOL
You're getting cynical in your old age micky.Smile

Getting?

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 07:03
I suppose it's only fair to place him in this category, since he has opined that the whole progressive thing was all about mixing up different genres to see which combinations worked and which didn't.

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 07:10
Heh, another spot free in the prog-related :) No, I'm hapy with this move.

/me goes on his rampage for adding björk to PA ;)

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 07:34
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

yes yes, very nice move...though I won't enjoy his music any more or less.

there will always be complainers looming about, but there are still many of us who appreciate the many little things that are less noticeable, so I hope you collabs don't feel like we by-standers are looking to piss on everything that is done (ahem....micky and Raff.......some of us are actually happy to have BOC hereLOLThumbs%20Up

did that sound like to be a request to have BOC moved?...  LOLLOLWink

peace and love is great in life...

but PA's isn't life.... we'lll try to do better next time everyone... hopefully the next one moved will meet with a bit more antipathy. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 07:35
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Heh, another spot free in the prog-related :) No, I'm hapy with this move.

/me goes on his rampage for adding björk to PA ;)

funny you mention Bjork...

-------------

Posted By: Passionist
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 07:48
Now there's a way to get the needed apathy and negativiness back to PA! Big%20smile

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 08:15
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Now there's a way to get the needed apathy and negativiness back to PA! Big%20smile

Thumbs%20Up  that is where the fun is LOL

-------------

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 10:49
woopee. Gabriel's in some sub-genre of a sub-genre that we made up and now we're rejoicing.

I don't mean to be a sad sack here, but as long as Peter Gabriel is recognized or even on the site for that matter, why does it matter whether he's in the related section of the new so-called "crossover" section?
I like him a good deal, but I couldn't care less whether he's called Eclectic Crossover Progressive Rock or just plain Pop.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 12:28
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

woopee. Gabriel's in some sub-genre of a sub-genre that we made up and now we're rejoicing.

I don't mean to be a sad sack here, but as long as Peter Gabriel is recognized or even on the site for that matter, why does it matter whether he's in the related section of the new so-called "crossover" section?
I like him a good deal, but I couldn't care less whether he's called Eclectic Crossover Progressive Rock or just plain Pop.

if you don't mean to be a sad sack.. I won't mean being to be a prick.LOL   Whether you like or  don't like you doesn't matter a damn.  Those sub-genres exist to help those who don't know his music with a reference point to other artist who have a similar style.  Being in PR says jack sh*t about what he did musically or what he sounded like. We 'make up' these sub-genres to help sort out of these nearly 3000 bands.  It isn't a science.. .only a reference. 

-------------

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 13:07
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Definately!!!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though and put Led Zeppelin in heavy prog. If we did that I would immediately leave!

No, now the priority is to get Bachman Turner Overdrive into heavy prog. Or conceive a new sub-genre called lumberjack prog. (eh)
Now back to that tractor trailer load of Moosehead that buddy has parked in his drive way Wink

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 14:08

if you don't mean to be a sad sack.. I won't mean being to be a prick.LOL   Whether you like or  don't like you doesn't matter a damn.  Those sub-genres exist to help those who don't know his music with a reference point to other artist who have a similar style.  Being in PR says jack sh*t about what he did musically or what he sounded like. We 'make up' these sub-genres to help sort out of these nearly 3000 bands.  It isn't a science.. .only a reference. 

Do you honestly believe that if a Peter Gabriel fan asked for similar bands, you would direct him to Radiohead or Mike Oldfield?

I was younger and more ignorant when I first came here, and I began to associate the bands here with the genre names here when talking to other prog fans, and they were confused as hell. In the real world, the sub-categorizing stops at progressive rock.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 14:18

Do you honestly believe that if a Peter Gabriel fan asked for similar bands, you would direct him to Radiohead or Mike Oldfield?

I was younger and more ignorant when I first came here, and I began to associate the bands here with the genre names here when talking to other prog fans, and they were confused as hell. In the real world, the sub-categorizing stops at progressive rock.

of course not...  but unless we create another 20 subs we just do the best we can with these.  Sure it is confusing...  Raff got a ton of sh*t from another website, an Italian one for just that reason,  the sub-genres are not our call.  They are what the owner wants.. and so we do the best with it we can. This site is the number 1 prog site hands down... so we must be doing something right. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 14:18

OK, so your solution would be..? Having everything together, so that a Peter Gabriel fan would find similar bands more easily?Confused

I really wonder at how easy it is for some people to criticise, even to try to destroy what others are working hard to create... It's true that some set too much store by categories, but is it really necessary to put things so unpleasantly? After all, you know how this site works... If those categories and classifications really get to you, you should try and find a site that only deals with 'progressive rock'.

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 14:30

OK, so your solution would be..? Having everything together, so that a Peter Gabriel fan would find similar bands more easily?Confused

I really wonder at how easy it is for some people to criticise, even to try to destroy what others are working hard to create... It's true that some set too much store by categories, but is it really necessary to put things so unpleasantly? After all, you know how this site works... If those categories and classifications really get to you, you should try and find a site that only deals with 'progressive rock'.

My solution would be to downsize. If the goal of this site is reference, then I would be happy with 5-9 sub-genre's with a disclaimer stating that the genres are inventions of the site and are unique terms used for reference purposes only.

I'm not trying to be unpleasent. I just can't stress enough that classifying thing so greatly limited people to listen to only their "favorite" sub-genre, and if a band they like is in a section they don't it might influence negativity towards that band.

My point is that if we continue categorizing this genre we might as well come up with a genre for each and every band.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 14:35

My solution would be to downsize. If the goal of this site is reference, then I would be happy with 5-9 sub-genre's with a disclaimer stating that the genres are inventions of the site and are unique terms used for reference purposes only.

I'm not trying to be unpleasent. I just can't stress enough that classifying thing so greatly limited people to listen to only their "favorite" sub-genre, and if a band they like is in a section they don't it might influence negativity towards that band.

My point is that if we continue categorizing this genre we might as well come up with a genre for each and every band.

hey Raff want to go back to managing AR again... this time with 800 different sounding  bands lumped togehter.  LOL

That is an option of course...  but really does nothing.. it doesn't help the site or it's users.  Itf the users acutally read the defintiions of the sub-genres and had some understanding of what this site is about.. there simply wouldn't be a problem.  If people still had a problem.. they could go elsewhere I guess.

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 14:39
Thank you for your clarification!Smile I see your point, and I know there are people who would go for an ever more detailed classification of the bands in the DB. Personally, I think we do need categories, though we should avoid going the way of some other websites I know, where the proliferation of subgenres of every kind has become a bit of a joke.

I do also agree about people letting themselves be 'limited' by subgenres in their listening habits. However, this is something that, in my opinion, can't be easily avoided... Open-mindedness is often at a premium among people, and far too few are ready to leave their comfort zone in order to experiment - subgenres or not.

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 15:03

Hate to poop on your party and all that, but I was very happy to see art rock get divided in the first place!!!

Now we need to divide metal!

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 15:39

if you don't mean to be a sad sack.. I won't mean being to be a prick.LOL  
Whether you like or  don't like you doesn't matter a damn. 
Those sub-genres exist to help those who don't know his music with a
reference point to other artist who have a similar style.  Being
in PR says jack sh*t about what he did musically or what he sounded
like. We 'make up' these sub-genres to help sort out of these nearly
3000 bands.  It isn't a science.. .only a reference. 
Do you honestly believe that if a Peter Gabriel fan asked for similar bands, you would direct him to Radiohead or Mike Oldfield? I was younger and more ignorant when I first came here, and I began to associate the bands here with the genre names here when talking to other prog fans, and they were confused as hell. In the real world, the sub-categorizing stops at progressive rock.

It's closer than Rush, or King Crimson. I too was more ignorant when I first came here. It was the ability to use the sub-genres as a guide that helped me become more educated.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: September 22 2007 at 22:55
Hmmmm, so I guess they're are no takers for pushing BTO's inclusion in Heavy Prog
 then ?

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 00:11
Wow...a genre move I agree with.

Something must be wrong here. Tongue

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: LeInsomniac
Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 00:53
Yeah Peter Gabriel really fits better in Crossover than in Prog Related. And not everyone disliked the separation of Art Rock into three categories. I use them as a reference and not a categorization, and even if I lately havent paid that much attention to the sub-genres I understand why it had to be divided. The art rock section simply was getting to full and having Gentle Giant and A.C.T. in the same sub genre just didnt had any connection, although one of the good things in progressive rock is how even if a group does symphonic prog that doesnt mean they're sound will resemble another symphonic prog group (ex: Genesis and Yes).
I support the work of the collaborators in the first place, and I remember (as some of the collaborators and administrators remember as well) that Erik Neuteboom proclaimed P.A. to be negative to progLOL and although everything was then clarified, recently at the Symforce Festival event, when some of we P.A. members met at the festival, I remembered Erik about the separation of Art rock in 3 sub-genres, and he only said that he had a kind of nostalgia feeling to the Art-Rock name, that was allWink.
But I agree that P.A. has to have more controversy than supporting from the membersTongue

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LeInsomniac/?chartstyle=volta">
Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back

Posted By: ShipOfFools
Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 03:19
That's wonderful. I agree, he deserves it. The man has contributed more to prog music than most. Clap

-------------

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 09:47
Finally!!! Therefore there it is someone that it understands what it is the Prog in PAShockedLOLLOLBig%20smileShocked!!!

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 09:48
Originally posted by Mandrakeroot Mandrakeroot wrote:

Finally!!! Therefore there it is someone that it understands what it is the Prog in PAShockedLOLLOLBig%20smileShocked!!!

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 23 2007 at 16:05
I'm still happy!

-------------

Posted By: Dirk
Date Posted: September 24 2007 at 15:50
I agree with the move but i don't understand the sudden outburst of happiness. Is Peter Gabriel's music suddenly much better because he's been  moved to another genre?
I always thought he was ok and my opinion hasn't been altered by reading this.

Reading the reactions here it looks like there's some underground competition going on between bands where genre is more important than musical quality and discussions about genres overshadow the music itself, not a good thing IMO.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 24 2007 at 16:19
I think that there should be a "former prog band member" sub-genre which can include all of the artists that belonged in a "classic" prog band at one point and then went on to do solo albums.  That way Phil and Pete can be together again with Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Mike + the Mechanics, and Tony Banks.  And Bill Bruford can be "grouped" with Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Chris Squire since all have solo albums.Wink

For what it is worth, I personally find the various genres and sub-genres are useful as a guide to give an idea of bands that might be similar in sound or character to bands that I already know, but obviously due to limitations you can end up with bands that are completely unrelated being included in the same genre.  It has been beaten to death in many a thread regarding how by their very nature there are many a prog band that defy categorization.  I feel that the Collaborators do a good job with what they have to work with regarding bands and genres.  As I read it, their goal is to try and keep a sub-genre into more manageable groupings.  Unfortunately, based on their categorizations the Art-Rock group consisted of 800 plus bands and it was decided that it was time to try and re-group into smaller more manageable groups.  I certainly can understand this and don't have a problem with it.  Admittedly, I don't fully understand the new categories and what they represent but hopefully with time I will get to understand them and I will benefit from these more compact groupings.  In all reality, if their goal was to group the bands into a category with a similar band, they could end up with 400 subgenres with only 1 or 2 bands each.

That being said, I agree with the previous poster that Peter Gabriel's solo music didn't just all of a sudden become more proggier because he was moved from Prog-related to Crossover prog.  It has just been deemed to be a better category for him. 

To all of the Collabs, thank you for all of your hard work in making this site such a wonderful resource for us prog rock afficianados to find new and old bands alike. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2007 at 16:32
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that there should be a "former prog band member" sub-genre which can include all of the artists that belonged in a "classic" prog band at one point and then went on to do solo albums.  That way Phil and Pete can be together again with Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Mike + the Mechanics, and Tony Banks.  And Bill Bruford can be "grouped" with Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, and Chris Squire since all have solo albums.Wink

For what it is worth, I personally find the various genres and sub-genres are useful as a guide to give an idea of bands that might be similar in sound or character to bands that I already know, but obviously due to limitations you can end up with bands that are completely unrelated being included in the same genre.  It has been beaten to death in many a thread regarding how by their very nature there are many a prog band that defy categorization.  I feel that the Collaborators do a good job with what they have to work with regarding bands and genres.  As I read it, their goal is to try and keep a sub-genre into more manageable groupings.  Unfortunately, based on their categorizations the Art-Rock group consisted of 800 plus bands and it was decided that it was time to try and re-group into smaller more manageable groups.  I certainly can understand this and don't have a problem with it.  Admittedly, I don't fully understand the new categories and what they represent but hopefully with time I will get to understand them and I will benefit from these more compact groupings.  In all reality, if their goal was to group the bands into a category with a similar band, they could end up with 400 subgenres with only 1 or 2 bands each.

That being said, I agree with the previous poster that Peter Gabriel's solo music didn't just all of a sudden become more proggier because he was moved from Prog-related to Crossover prog.  It has just been deemed to be a better category for him. 

To all of the Collabs, thank you for all of your hard work in making this site such a wonderful resource for us prog rock afficianados to find new and old bands alike. 

it is a better fit for him because he fits the definition of Crossover.. read it carefully... I make the point that it is a prog sub-genre ..that is different from the same old sh*t of side long epics, nebulous as hell lyrics, and blaa blaa blaa.  Prog was not about that... those were only characteristics of it... not things that made prog ...prog.  Prog fans should by the nature of the music we listen to...be fairly open minded.  But like life...  theory often doesn't translate to reality.  If so...I'd be calling you Comrade Rushfan1001 hahahha.

btw/

thanks.. and look for a X-mas card from the old AR team. Nice post

and I was kidding about 800...  it was aboutt 500 when that debate started... so ...hell... it might have been by now LOL

-------------

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 02:14
Oh...that explains why I've reviewed a crossover album. I was worried, you know.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Clap Thumbs%20Up   great move

..and I wouldn't worry about Zep in Heavy.. they weren't prog (and I'm a Ledhead from way back)

(Psst! You move 'em to Heavy, and I've got this real keen Stairway to sell you!)

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 02:21
thank you rushfan4

Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 02:29
At least someone who doesn't take us to task for real or imagined misdeedsWink...

Posted By: Time Signature
Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:24

But is that a genre as such. I see its value as a category, but I don't think it could be considered a musical genre.

Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:35
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

But is that a genre as such. I see its value as a category, but I don't think it could be considered a musical genre.

It's not a musical genre at all, and some of the artists Rushfan4 has mentioned have released albums that are not even prog-related. I don't understand... We are often taken to task for having added bands like BOC, Queen or Iron Maiden to the site (even though in PR, which they definitely are), when there are people who suggest adding Phil Collins or Mike and the Mechanics...Confused

Posted By: Teh_Slippermenz
Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 18:38
Really?? YAY!!! PETER GETS A FULL-BLOWN PROG CATEGORY ON THE SITE NOW!!! LOL

PR wasn't the best place for him, I've always felt that his music was prog, even after he left Genesis. ("Mercy Street", anybody? Not your typical 80s pop song)

Date Posted: September 25 2007 at 23:04

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

It's not a musical genre at all, and some of the artists Rushfan4 has mentioned have released albums that are not even prog-related. I don't understand... We are often taken to task for having added bands like BOC, Queen or Iron Maiden to the site (even though in PR, which they definitely are), when there are people who suggest adding Phil Collins or Mike and the Mechanics...Confused

It was kind of a joke.  Basically I was reuniting the band members of these two classic bands by saying they should all be grouped together in a similar genre "former prog band members".  Hence the winking smiley face.  However, I am all in favor of the addition of Queen and Iron Maiden to the site.  I am only familiar with BOC's "hits" so I don't pass judgement there.

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2007 at 08:26

^ I should mention that although that post was meant as a joke, where my thoughts lied towards that was the idea of having links to the complete discographies of members of prog bands.  i.e. if somebody wants to see what albums Phil Collins has appeared on they could click on his name and see Brand X and Phil Collins solo, etc...  That being said, I realize that AllMusic is already a resource for this type of search and that the purpose of PA is to cover Prog music, not All Music. 

First off, as I said in my previous post I respect the decisions of the Special Collabs and the site owners in regards to the genres decided and where the bands are placed.  Although I might not agree on all of them that is understandable on both sides.  Some bands could fit into multiple categories and it is a judgement call as to which genre that best fits them.  As I also mentioned at this time I don't fully understand what is meant by the various subgenres but this is due more to my limited knowledge of these terms.  I say this tongue in cheek, but to me the term Prog-Related would include Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel and Mike + the Mechanics because all 3 are pop bands that are "related" to Genesis the prog band because of the overlapping band member(s).  I understand that is not how PA defined Prog-related but to me that would be a literal definition.  Also, based on the six degrees of separation theory based on that line of thinking PA would end up including every band in All Music because somehow somewhere Cyndi Laupner is related to King Crimson because her horn player played in a jazz band that featured a guy who played in a band with Robert Fripp, etc... and that is most definitely not the purpose of PA.

I don't wish to enter this debate or rehash other thread arguments in regards to what I consider a fine line between prog-related and crossover prog and eclectic prog (which at this point I really have no idea what this is supposed to mean).   I suspect that there is some sort of standard measurement used such as if a band's music is "more than 25% proggy but less than 50% proggy" they are deemed prog related but if they are "more than 50% proggy but less than 75% proggy" they are crossover prog and if they are "greater than 75% proggy" they are eclectic.  As I said I realize that it is a judgement call and I respect that the Special Collabs are far more knowlegable about these items than I am and that much thought and discussion goes into where a band is eventually placed. 

-------------

Posted By: explodingjosh
Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 00:02
Question for anybody:

If Peter Gabriel was never in Genesis in the first place, but had the exact same solo career (same songs, same everything), would you still call him prog?

-------------

Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 00:09
 ^ great question, and you make a good observation.. his music was undoubtedly progressive, whether it is prog rock is unclear.  I think what we see here is a love of this man's solo music and when compared to other pop music, it outshines it and is progressive.  But prog?  I don't know...   I supported his move but, in a way, he is the very definition of 'ProgRelated'

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 00:39

I say this tongue in cheek, but to me the term Prog-Related would include Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel and Mike + the Mechanics because all 3 are pop bands that are "related" to Genesis the prog band because of the overlapping band member(s).  I understand that is not how PA defined Prog-related but to me that would be a literal definition. 

No Rushfan, I know that, i wrote the prog Related definition that was approved by mailto:M@X - M@X and the Adm Team.

Prog Related is the category that groups bands and artists that:

- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, OR

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, OR

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog.

We specify the word MUSICAL because simple performance of a determined instrument in a Prog or mainstream band is not justification enough to include an artist, no matter how virtuoso he/she may be, Prog Archives has to evaluate their compositional work because the music is what determines the characteristics of a band or an artist.

(...)

Melgar Morey
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#38 - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#38

There are three separete conditions that allow a band to be added, being part of a Prog band is not one of them. As a fact in the other parragraph it's specified that the simple performance in a Prog band doesn't give the artist the quality opf Perog Related.

The inclusion of an artist is only for MUSICAL/COMPOSITIONAL reasons, so Mike & The Mechanics or Phil Collins don't have a place here because in their solo work they never wrote a single Prog related note.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 01:21
Hi Ivan:

Your position on post-Gabriel Genesis and Phil Collins' solo career are definitely well-known and expressed throughtout PA and I certainly have no intention of entering the battle waged on the Genesis Montreal thread. 

As I said in my post all that I was doing with my suggestion was having fun by "reuniting" the members of Genesis by suggesting that their solo bands be grouped together in the same made up sub-genre "former prog band members".  I am absolutely not suggesting that this genre be added; again I was only having fun with "reuniting" Genesis.  I believe that you overexaggerate with your comment about neither Mike or Phil writing a single prog note in their solo careers, but I also agree that neither of them are prog and that neither of them belong on Prog Archives. 

As far as the various sub-genres go, again, I respect the decisions and definitions that have been made by yourself and the other special collaborators and the site owners.  I realize that you have dealt with these various subgenres far longer than I have and that you definitely have a better understanding of them than I do.  I have read the definitions of these various subgenres and still find them somewhat unclear, but this again is probably more due to my lack of knowledge in these areas.  I am sure that there is a subtle difference between Prog-related and the Crossover Prog definitions that is taken into account by the decision makers when choosing the various bands' categories. 

Again I respect the decisions that have been made and I am not suggesting that any changes be made.  As an example, to me, a band like Iron Maiden is a heavy metal band that "crossed over" into prog with albums such as Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time.  But I also know that unless Ghost Rider works some magic it will be a cold day in hell before Iron Maiden is listed as anything but Prog-Related on PA.  It is what it is and the decisions that are made are the decisions that are made. 

Take care. 

Scott

-------------

Posted By: ShipOfFools
Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 02:15
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Question for anybody:

If Peter Gabriel was never in Genesis in the first place, but had the exact same solo career (same songs, same everything), would you still call him prog?

That's a good question, but if I had to answer honestly, I would say yes. Simply because his first few albums were highly influenced by Genesis(some songs on PG 1 sound like they could have been written by the band), and they fit snuggly under the prog rock genre.

However, if Peter had started his career at So, his music wouldn't be (and shouldn't be) considered prog (with a few exceptions.)

-------------

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 02:32

Hi Ivan:

I believe that you overexaggerate with your comment about neither Mike or Phil writing a single prog note in their solo careers, but I also agree that neither of them are prog and that neither of them belong on Prog Archives. 

Never said Mike's solo career, I believe Smallcreeps Day could fit in PR, but Phil Collins necer made a prog song inn his solo career.

On the other hand, just explaining the point, because I heard this position repeatedly, I can't guess when something is a joke or is said seriously.

But don't worry not a Genesis Montreal thread, i'm also tired of that one.

Iván

BTW: If you noticed I have not posted a single time to support or not the Peter Gabriel movement to Crossover, so my position has nothing to do here.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 04:46
Originally posted by ShipOfFools ShipOfFools wrote:

Question for anybody:

That's a good question, but if I had to answer honestly, I would say yes. Simply because his first few albums were highly influenced by Genesis(some songs on PG 1 sound like they could have been written by the band), and they fit snuggly under the prog rock genre.

However, if Peter had started his career at So, his music wouldn't be (and shouldn't be) considered prog (with a few exceptions.)
You also have to consider his other albums, such as Birdy, The Passion, Rabbit Proof Fence and Ovo, while not being pop or rock, they do come under the prog umberella.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 09:18
 A good  decision I think.
 So something really positive related to the new sub-subgenres.SmileWink

Date Posted: September 28 2007 at 09:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Hi Ivan:

I believe that you overexaggerate with your comment about neither Mike or Phil writing a single prog note in their solo careers, but I also agree that neither of them are prog and that neither of them belong on Prog Archives. 

Never said Mike's solo career, I believe Smallcreeps Day could fit in PR, but Phil Collins necer made a prog song inn his solo career.

On the other hand, just explaining the point, because I heard this position repeatedly, I can't guess when something is a joke or is said seriously.

Iván

BTW: If you noticed I have not posted a single time to support or not the Peter Gabriel movement to Crossover, so my position has nothing to do here.

Hi Ivan:

Possibly a language barrier issue.  "Tongue in cheek" is a term used to indicate that the comment is meant humorously.  I apologize that that wasn't clearer and caused a Misundertanding (Prog or non-prog Genesis song???).  LOL

My reference to Mike's solo career was an error on my part in which I should have referred to Mike + the Mechanics instead of his solo career.  I am familiar with Acting Strangely Fine, but I have yet to hear Smallcreep's Day in order to pass judgement on that album.

As regards to Peter Gabriel's placement into Crossover Prog, I have no arguments with this change.  Again in my mind, the difference between what qualifies as Prog Related and what qualifies as Crossover Prog is both subtle and subjective.  One difference being that Crossover Prog is kind of a term of endearment whereas Prog Related is kind of a term of scorn (term of compromise); sort of an "Ok, fine will add the band to PA to appease the masses but we really don't think that they're actually prog but we don't want a revolution on our hands".   And please, this is not a criticism it is just my lowly observation.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 30 2007 at 09:19
Peter Gabriel is a crossdresser? Whaaaaaa? LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 30 2007 at 09:21

Hi Ivan:

Iván

Hmm, can a single note by itself actually be prog?Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: September 30 2007 at 14:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, until I knew Hyperbole was a valid figure of speech. Wink

Iván

-------------

Posted By: explodingjosh
Date Posted: October 02 2007 at 23:27

He looks beautiful in a red dress.

-------------

Posted By: progcabaretdoll
Date Posted: October 03 2007 at 10:06

He looks beautiful in a red dress.

Yeah. *droooling*

Posted By: ProgBagel
Date Posted: October 06 2007 at 23:02
It's the man's rightful place.

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 00:02

Hi Ivan:

Iván

If you played it for 2 hours, that'd be pretty prog.

Date Posted: October 07 2007 at 00:15
^ To be more specific I think that would be post-rock.LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk