Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51782
Printed Date: June 05 2024 at 11:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Short and Speechless
Posted By: Epignosis
Subject: Short and Speechless
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 13:18
All of these songs are under three minutes in length and feature no lyrics.  So which one is the best?
file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHP_Owner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml -

Replies:
Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 13:20
I'd go as far as sayin Hairless Heart is of Genesis's best songs. Utterly flawless and almost tearjerking.

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 14:00
^I second that. Probably the first time I've ever voted for Genesis over Camel at any poll.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 14:14
I am fond of Hairless heart but I am going with Snow goose just for the grand scheme of the whole work. To me Lamb and Snow goose are great concepts. I just like Snow goose better with the full orchestra.

Posted By: listen
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:06
Hairless Heart. Had the Camel song been "The Snow Goose" I woulda gone for that.

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by listen listen wrote:

Hairless Heart. Had the Camel song been "The Snow Goose" I woulda gone for that.

Unfortunately, "The Snow Goose" didn't qualify for this poll- it's twelve seconds too long.  Unhappy

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 16:32
Good choices. I went with The Spider by Kansas.

Superb song. ClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 17:26
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

I'd go as far as sayin Hairless Heart is of Genesis's best songs. Utterly flawless and almost tearjerking.

Absolutely! It remains a classic example of the incredible emotional impact that prog can provide , a few minutes of inspired and inspiring music that exudes all the feelings needed to be expressed WITHOUT WORDS . ClapClap

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: September 14 2008 at 17:39
I too chose "The Spider."  Kansas are masters of the short progressive rock format, able to fill each second with genuine prog goodness. Thumbs%20Up

It makes us wonder what Steve Walsh would have accomplished if his heart was in prog.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 07:51
This is a really good poll!  I'll go with Camel, just ahead of Hairless Heart, which I agree is also exceptional.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 08:53

I like all of these. I voted for Talybont as the best o'five. Approve

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 09:26
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

It is positioned perfectly on the album providing a beautiful contrast to the anarchy of Back in NYC and then it flows neatly into the opening bars of Counting Out Time.

Posted By: Jozef
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 11:42
Hairless Heart. A beautiful and calm instrumental piece. It sounds strange though being sandwiched between "Back in NYC" and "Counting Out Time" to me though. 

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by Jozef Jozef wrote:

Hairless Heart. A beautiful and calm instrumental piece. It sounds strange though being sandwiched between "Back in NYC" and "Counting Out Time" to me though. 

I completely agree with you on the piece's placement.  It's a haunting instrumental, but "Back in NYC" is angry and full of machismo, and "Counting Out Time" is a bit, shall we say, horny?

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 17:34
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I too chose "The Spider."  Kansas are masters of the short progressive rock format, able to fill each second with genuine prog goodness. Thumbs%20Up

It makes us wonder what Steve Walsh would have accomplished if his heart was in prog.

Kansas is one of my favorite bands, so I definitely have to agree there. ClapClap

I couldn't imagine if Walsh felt the same way about composing as Livgren did... that have been amazing. But maybe there's good reason that it never happened, as I quite like both sides of Kansas (though, being a progger, I obviously prefer the proggier side usually if forced to choose). I guess part of the uniqueness of Kansas was in their roots, so if you take those away, they definitely wouldn't be the same band.

Still would be interesting to hear nonetheless what they would have accomplished. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 18:15
All are worthy, but a vote is a vote, so I'll go with Cinema, since it was an extremely rare case of Grammy voters getting it right! Cool

BTW, if we're talking really short, here's two (ironically, with long names):
Five Percent For Nothing-Yes
Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love-Mahavishnu Orchestra (even the band name is long) LOL

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 18:25
I like Kemps Jig by Gryphon or Jan Akkerman , both are nice renditions of a classic

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

All are worthy, but a vote is a vote, so I'll go with Cinema, since it was an extremely rare case of Grammy voters getting it right! Cool

Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love-Mahavishnu Orchestra (even the band name is long) LOL

I was going to use "Five Percent For Nothing," but I didn't think it would have the slightest shot.  The first time I played it, I sneezed, and missed it.

I guess that's not so bad.

Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 19:45
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

I was going to use "Five Percent For Nothing," but I didn't think it would have the slightest shot.  The first time I played it, I sneezed, and missed it.

I guess that's not so bad.

LOLLOLLOLLOL

That's hilarious timing.

-------------

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 20:05
I went for Talybont because it's such an intelligent compact happy little package.

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: September 15 2008 at 20:16
Hairless Heart without a doubt. A beautiful emotional peice (I love how it flows into Counting Out Time!!!).

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk