Print Page | Close Window

Hatfield and the North appreciation!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52654
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 06:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hatfield and the North appreciation!
Posted By: avalanchemaster
Subject: Hatfield and the North appreciation!
Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 16:22
so I recently picked up their two albums (with bonus tracks), and I am stunned at how refreshing and original this stuff sounds!  It seems that most of the best music truly was written in the 70s!  (well at least current stuff is a retread at best)  I want more Canterbury stuff because I think HATN are absolutely genius!  They have all of the elements a person could want in their music;  virtuosity, talent, great solos, excellent lines, some great Jazz sensibilities thrown in for good measure.....all in all a great vibe!  who else should I check out for Canterbury stuff?  I have two Egg albums already.....  Clap

-------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AP

Replies:
Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 16:40
They released two of my favorite albums ever. Plus, the line-up is just wow. Only way it could have gotten better is if Robert Wyatt'd been there the whole time. Clap

As for other Canterbury bands to check out, check out the big names first I guess : Caravan, Soft Machine, National Health...

Canterbury bands are all really different but all really similar at the same time. Try 'em and I'm sure you'll grow to like 'em a lot too.

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Posted By: YesFan72
Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 18:06
Gong is also very good.

-------------

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 18:08
Originally posted by YesFan72 YesFan72 wrote:

Gong is also very good.

Yep they're one my top favorite bands but I never thought they were really Canterbury bands. The similarities are numerous though.

Hmm just checked. I didn't know they were listed in Canterbury now.

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 18:38
would anybody know where to find Soft Machine's "bundles" for a reasonable price?  I love Holdsworth and that is one of the albums he played on that I want....

-------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AP

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 19:18
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

would anybody know where to find Soft Machine's "bundles" for a reasonable price?  I love Holdsworth and that is one of the albums he played on that I want....

This album hasn't been re-edited in America and Europe for more a decade. I got mine in a nice Japanese mini-lp somewhere on Ebay...paid something like $20/22  the best i can remember.

I still prefer SOFTS, their following album with Etheridge on guitarHeart

Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 19:20
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

This album hasn't been re-edited in America and Europe for more a decade. I got mine in a nice Japanese mini-lp somewhere on Ebay...paid something like $20/22  the best i can remember.

well I have not heard either, so cannot comment.

-------------

Posted By: el dingo
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 04:01
Thoroughly recommend Gong's You.

Check out The Isle Of Everywhere in particular. If you like that, I'd go for Hillage's Fish Rising solo album.

Other good listen is Caravan - full sound and quirky lyrics, too. Not the most popular release with some fans, I rate For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night. The earlier In the Land of Grey and Pink is good too, and easier to get.

CryI've only got For Girls on vinyl so if anyone knows where I can get a download or a reasonably priced CD, please let me know.

-------------
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 08:28
As a natural continuation of the Hatfields, though minus Richard Sinclair's inimitable vocals, you should really check out National Health. Their first, self-titled album contains one of the very best Canterbury 'epics' in "Tenemos Roads", and is on the whole somewhat more accessible than their second, Of Queues and Cures. Both are highly recommended. As for Caravan, my personal favourite is their second, If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You - though In the Land of Grey and Pink is wonderful as well.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 08:49
What she said. + Everything involving Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine, Matching Mole, solo) up to and including Rock Bottom . Wait a while with End of an Ear though.

Brilliant Canterburian stuff from other places: Picchio Dal Pozzo (debut), Cos (two first, Supersister (three first), Moving Gelatine Plates (two first).

And get that last Egg album

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 10:39
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

As a natural continuation of the Hatfields, though minus Richard Sinclair's inimitable vocals, you should really check out National Health. Their first, self-titled album contains one of the very best Canterbury 'epics' in "Tenemos Roads", and is on the whole somewhat more accessible than their second, Of Queues and Cures. Both are highly recommended. As for Caravan, my personal favourite is their second, If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You - though In the Land of Grey and Pink is wonderful as well.

I notice someone is back  in business full timeLOL..Welcome backWink

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 12:23
There's an old Canterbury appreciation thread hanging around if you're inclined to post in it, has some pretty good information in there.  Everyone's already given their recommendations with which I wholeheartedly agree, and would only add that I place National Health as #1 on the list, and that you should acquire their first two albums before getting anything else.

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 13:15

Get Floating World Live and BBC 1971-1973 (or whatever volume 2 is called) by Soft Machine.

Both feature material from Holdsworth and Etheridge era.

Bundles and Softs are very hard to find on CD. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 13:17
Also recommended are:

Phil Miller's In Cahoots

Plus if you love Soft Machine and Hatfield and the North, get Soft Heap's album.  It's excellent.

I've yet to give them a listen, 'cause I don't have any but try:

Pip Pyle's Bash
L'Equipe Out

-------------

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 13:26
Originally posted by James James wrote:

would anybody know where to find Soft Machine's "bundles" for a reasonable price? I love Holdsworth and that is one of the albums he played on that I want....

This album hasn't been re-edited in America and Europe for more a decade. I got mine in a nice Japanese mini-lp somewhere on Ebay...paid something like $20/22 the best i can remember.

Get Floating World Live and BBC 1971-1973 (or whatever volume 2 is called) by Soft Machine.Both feature material from Holdsworth and Etheridge era.Bundles and Softs are very hard to find on CD. Ouch

I would say to get Soft Machine British Tour '75. It has the best songs from Bundles, as well as 2 songs from Softs. It also has some amazing jamming/solos. Highly recommendable if you don't have Bundles and Softs.

Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 13:28
I need that one too, actually.  Thanks for the recommendation!

There's still lots of live Soft Machine I want.

Does anyone know if there's an official release for that French gig on YouTube with Lyn Dobson on it?  I'd love a hi-fidelity version.

-------------

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: October 18 2008 at 13:31
^no prob. Anyways, in another thread I commented, but dunno if you read it, that in your avatar, if you blink fastly it really dizzes you, seems like a optical illusion...hmmm, Magma fans are brain-washers with their wicked avatars/signatures....MAGMA IS THE BEST!

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 00:40
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

There's an old Canterbury appreciation thread hanging around if you're inclined to post in it, has some pretty good information in there.  Everyone's already given their recommendations with which I wholeheartedly agree, and would only add that I place National Health as #1 on the list, and that you should acquire their first two albums before getting anything else.

Natural, is obvious your love to Hatfield LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWink

-------------

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 05:14
National Health were even better. I see many have recommended them already. First album in particular is definitely one of my favourites of the 70s.

Date Posted: October 19 2008 at 14:02
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

Really a love for all things Dave Stewart (well, maybe not so much "It's my party") and yes, I do little to hide it.  Tongue

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 20:32

Hatfield's self-titled is quite nice indeed.  I especially like how the lyrics are all "hello, this is our record, hope you like it, if not that's ok too...."  Approve

A nice gateway album to Canterburydom.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 20:42

Really a love for all things Dave Stewart (well, maybe not so much "It's my party") and yes, I do little to hide it.  Tongue

Even Spin and the Big Idea , his 2 collabs with Barbara Gaskin?   Just curious, coz I have them in tape form  (remember those) Confused

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: October 21 2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Even Spin and the Big Idea , his 2 collabs with Barbara Gaskin?   Just curious, coz I have them in tape form  (remember those) Confused

I haven't heard much Stewart/Gaskin, but descriptions of the music indicate that I probably wouldn't care for it too much.  My love for his work is restricted to what he did before he gave up on prog.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk