Print Page | Close Window

Karmakanic

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53982
Printed Date: May 19 2024 at 13:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Karmakanic
Posted By: DavetheSlave
Subject: Karmakanic
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:09
I have finally found a band that I love more than Dream Theater!!!!!! More than old Marillion!!!!!
This lot is a side project of the Flower Kings amongst others - catagorised here as symphonic metal!!!!!
I disagree totally - this is progmetal and so many other genres combined into one. I've heard blues scales, Genesis type symphonia, Deep Purple type Hard Rock, Styx like magnifiscance!!!!!

Give them a listen and then decide - brilliant stuff!!!!!

Holy Cow - I've been stunned!!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Replies:
Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:32
Good to hear you enjoying them.  I'm a fan as well, though not quite as much as you seem to be :-)

It is essentially Jonas Reingold's band, as he writes all the music.  Anyway, they are multifaceted, though the most recent album is primarily symphonic prog.  My favorite, so far, is the previous one Wheel Of Life.  I'm a fan of the jazz fusion side of the band, and that is most noticeable on that album.  But really, it's all quite good.

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:36
Hi Infandous - I hear so much in the three albums that it's mind boggling!!!!! Old Marillion had a lot of emotion in the lyrics - these guys - well!!!! The different styles of music that come through are astounding - from Jazz to Prog metal!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:49
Now that you found a band that you might like more than DT, the initials on the new nickname aren't code for Dream Theater Sucks, are they? Wink  jk

I'm glad that you are enjoying Karmakanic.  Did you happen to see King By-Tor's review of Jonas Reingold?  If not, you should check it out in the interviews section of the forum. 

I tend to like all things Flower Kings, and Flower Kings related, and Karmakanic are no exception.  I prefer Wheel of Life a bit over Entering the Spectra.  I have only listened to Who's The Boss a couple of times and it is quite good.  I still need to give it some more listens though. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 12:54
Hi Rushfan - it's a pity that others don't quite have the same appreciation for good music that we do!!! Now when are they going to include Strat and Korn on the Site????

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 12:58
Well, Karmakanic are pretty great and Jonas gave a delightful interview.

when are you going to stop asking about those two bands is a better question

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 13:09
Originally posted by DavetheSlave DavetheSlave wrote:

Hi Rushfan - it's a pity that others don't quite have the same appreciation for good music that we do!!! Now when are they going to include Strat and Korn on the Site????

The Strat/Korn schtick is getting old. Wink  I  believe that you have ruffled enough PA feathers with those suggestions to last you a lifetime. 

I discussed this recently elsewhere, but the Flower Kings are one of those bands that proggers either really love or really hate.  There are some in-betweeners that love some of their albums and hate others, but for the most part I think you either love them or you hate them.  I'd say that those that love them, also tend to eat up all of the various solo efforts and side projects as well.   Those that hate them have little interest in trying the solo efforts and side projects, and are most likely to not like them if they do get around to trying them.  As with any statement like this, there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but this has kind of been my general observation in regards to these bands.

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 13:35
Hey Rushfan4 - I agree whole heartedly with what you say although I have tried the Flower Kings a couple of times - greatly prefer Karmakanic - the reviews here - allbe they few are all shining! They blew me away and I hadn't heard them until yesterday!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 14:51

Give it a rest!

PS - Karmakanic are great.

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 14:59
Hey Rushfan - I will continue to ruffle feathers regarding those two bands. I love Robin Trower's music but I would hate to see him here bcos he aint Prog - I discuss him in different Blues Rock threads. I have always loved Thin Lizzy but would hate to see them here.
Imagine - if you will - coming onto Progarchives and seeing that Rush aint here!!!!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:00
yeah. But Rush is prog. Strat and Korn - they ain't

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:04
King By Tor- That's purely your own opinion!!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:08
and yours is yours - see the vicious circle here?

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:11
Yeah but I understand music!!!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:12
I guess I don't. I'll just resign from PA now. Thanks, you've opened my eyes to music.

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:12

Hey Rushfan - I will continue to ruffle feathers regarding those two bands. I love Robin Trower's music but I would hate to see him here bcos he aint Prog - I discuss him in different Blues Rock threads. I have always loved Thin Lizzy but would hate to see them here.
Imagine - if you will - coming onto Progarchives and seeing that Rush aint here!!!!!!

My friend, there are better things to spend your energy on; for yours is a losing battle, and not a way to win friends and influence people.  Now praising Karmakanic (and of course Rush) will get you far on the other hand. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:16
Karmakanic everyone! Who's the Boss In The Factory is really a hit this year! The band's best - and a full reinvigorement after a dissapointing Wheel Of Fire (IMO).

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:17
Hi Rushfan4 - I guess I'm relatively new to PA but when you get to see the same names opposing you all of the time!!!! You aint one of them. I've asked Dean to close my Lyrics thread which I believed would do some good - cos it becoming a war zone!!!! And I am trying not to be controversial with some. Ah Well!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:18
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Karmakanic everyone! Who's the Boss In The Factory is really a hit this year! The band's best - and a full reinvigorement after a dissapointing Wheel Of Fire (IMO).

It is an excellent album. The title cut really gives me chills. Two Blocks From The Edge is simply haunting! I really recommend this disc.

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:22
Hey King By Tor -we agree at last!!!! I love thie album and have gotten hold of the previous two which impressed me very much as well!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:23
You should read my review of the album, I gave it much praise. Like others have said too, I did an interview with Reingold and it turned out great.

See, I'm not an a****le (all the time) I'm just heavily opinionated.

Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 15:27
All Prog music lovers are opinionated - that is after all what our music is all about!! I see that the ratings for all 3 albums have been high - maybe a prog masterpiece or two in the making!!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 18:32
I bought Wheel Of Life several months back and thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but I found it to be worthy to keep earmarked for the future. I then got Who's The Boss... and that really got me to take notice. Such a dramatic leap forward. I hope Jonas keeps this going.

E

-------------

Posted By: bassman4
Date Posted: December 11 2008 at 19:27
I find myself amongst like minded . This is my favorite record since Snow.Approve

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: December 12 2008 at 01:31
I haven't heard the new album, but I was VERY happy with Entering the Spectra.  (The first one never really caught my attention, though.)

Date Posted: December 12 2008 at 17:27
Hi ghost_of-morphy. The new album  will blow you away!!!!

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: December 12 2008 at 18:46
Could have been album of the year with more exposure, I like to see more threads like this than what is prog and on and on, great album

Posted By: bassman4
Date Posted: December 19 2008 at 22:49
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

I haven't heard the new album, but I was VERY happy with Entering the Spectra.  (The first one never really caught my attention, though.)

That was the first [according to me calculations ] 2nd  , was Wheel Of Life. Is that the one that didn't grab ya ?

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: December 19 2008 at 23:11
I've been meaning to try these guys out. Looks like it's time to really give them a fair shake. Though, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, because no offense but, if it took you this long to find a band you like more than Dream Theater then you and I are obviousely very different people in what we consider top-notch stuff musically.

Then again, we may just agree. I have yet to find a modern band I like better than Tool (Porcupine Tree almost made it, but ultimately came in second place), so who knows, maybe these guys can do it. It's doubtful, but maybe.

I know I will like them alot if not adore them, though. I hear nothing but good things about them, and I love symphonic prog. Though you say Karmakanic really isn't symphonic, so now I'm even more out of the loop. Confused

Date Posted: December 29 2008 at 16:57
And so!!! PoMt3 - what did you think?????

-------------
I'm a normal psychopath

Date Posted: December 30 2008 at 01:07
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Though you say Karmakanic really isn't symphonic, so now I'm even more out of the loop. Confused

Ooooooh yes they are LOL

Posted By: Steve-A
Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 10:16

I host the official discussion forum for Karmakanic, and Jonas is there to answer your questions.

Please feel free to register...

http://forums.spa-networks.com/karmakanic - http://forums.spa-networks.com/karmakanic

-------------

http://www.progforums.com/forums" rel="nofollow - Progforums official Prog Rock Forums

Posted By: POSW
Date Posted: January 01 2009 at 22:56
Awesome band, even if the pun in their name makes me go Ermm. What I like the most about them is that their sound is very lush and varied, if that makes any sense at all.

Incidentally, does anyone else think they sound sort of similar to Magic Pie?

-------------
I'm http://www.metal-archives.com/userprofile.php?user=PriestofSadWings - PriestofSadWings at Metal Archives.

"Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?" - George Carlin

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 03:14
Originally posted by POSW POSW wrote:

Awesome band, even if the pun in their name makes me go Ermm. What I like the most about them is that their sound is very lush and varied, if that makes any sense at all.

I'm a huge fan of The Flower Kings, and have been contemplating an investment in Karmakanic for some time now.  I love Reingold as a bassist.

However, the suggestion that they are like Magic Pie is a bit off-putting for me.  I bought Motions Of Desire a few months ago, and despite numerous listens it has done nothing for me.  It's my most disappointing purchase in the whole of 2008.  I've only really grown to like one track, Without Knowing Why, the rest do nothing for me.  Can't quite put my finger on it, they're like hard rock with keyboards, not what I'd call symphonic at all.  Are Karmakanic really like them?

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: January 02 2009 at 03:40
Originally posted by POSW POSW wrote:

they are great  band . their lastest album is the best from the band and it grows really good .and no, they dont sound like magic pie imo

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: progrules
Date Posted: January 04 2009 at 02:43
My review says it all. I don't like repeating it all, except for ALBUM OF THE YEAR (without competition)

-------------
A day without prog is a wasted day

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 15:28
Their latest album is pretty stunning and possibly the best in 2008...

I am not sure about the previous ones but this is a gem!!!
I am preparing a review ASAP!!!

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: April 04 2009 at 15:50
I don't know how Karmakanic can be classified as anything other than symphonic prog. I feel as though I'm in the minority when saying that their entire album isn't pure genius although the first track is some of the best 19.5 minutes of music I have ever heard. I would comment on it being album of the year, but my knowledge of 2008 releases is confined almost exclusively to Who's the Boss in the Factory. I am interested in checking out their first two releases in due time. 

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 12:04
I recently gave Who's The Boss.....a five star review, and it thoroughly deserved it. I will definitely be investing in the first two as a result of winning this album. An incredibly thoughtful and well produced piece of work. I hope they keep the project going.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: April 06 2009 at 12:13
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

My review says it all. I don't like repeating it all, except for ALBUM OF THE YEAR (without competition)
Let me introduce you to Nemo....

-------------

Date Posted: August 25 2009 at 15:29
This is such awesome news.  I hope that I can make it to the show.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60736&FID=10 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60736&FID=10   Are they doing a full tour, or is this just some odd one off stop?

-------------

Posted By: Rivertree
Date Posted: August 25 2009 at 15:34
Next month I'm gonna see them in Bielefeld - much curious how they get the boss into the factory Big smile

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Rivertree" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: J-Man
Date Posted: August 25 2009 at 15:34
I can't believe I missed this thread! I absolutely love them as well, and I actually love almost everything related to The Flower Kings. Great band!Thumbs Up

-------------

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime

Posted By: leeman66
Date Posted: August 25 2009 at 15:45
Please be aware that Karmakanic is on a short US tour in October and
will be in Los Angeles and Detroit and 3 or 4 other dates.

Please spread word to anyone that may be interested in seeing Karmakanic
with Roine's new project Agents Of Mercy.  They are touring with
Nick DiVirgilio of Spock's beard on drums!!  An amazing double bill
for all Flower Kings fans and prog-heads of all types

Posted By: EMLonergan
Date Posted: September 15 2009 at 20:44
It's good stuff, but it has too much of a poppy touch for a musically intolerant ass such as myself. I think I've gotten way to used to the traditional 70's sound to be able to fully enjoy this music. Disapprove

-------------
"The Time Between The Notes Relates The Color To The Scenes"

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: September 15 2009 at 21:19
I got a copy of "Wheel of Life" for research purposes when I was on the Symphonic team. I think I've only played it once or twice, but I did like it. I'm not very big on Flower Kings either. I'll have to give it the serious treatment and post a review over at my place.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk