I went with Wetton from this list.

E

-------------

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:40
My favorite is not on there.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:49
My favorite is the best, but since he's not here (and neither is my second favorite), I went with Chris Squire.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: DJPuffyLemon
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:52
Voted Roger Waters, a very underrated bassist.

Posted By: Arsihsis
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:53
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

Sorry if I forgot an important one.

Jannick Top!

-------------

Posted By: claugroi
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:53
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

My favorite is not on there.

who's your favourite ?

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:54
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

My favorite is the best, but since he's not here (and neither is my second favorite), I went with Chris Squire.

Who are your first and second favourites ?

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 19:55
I don't know all of them, but from my faves you're missing John Entwistle, Geezer Butler, Neil Murray, Jonas Reingold, and some others, but no worries!

Besides the list having real famous ones, obviously being awesome like Wetton and Squire, I'll go for the overlooked Ray Shulman which is really a fantastic player, which surely get few votes.

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 20:00
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

I don't know all of them, but from my faves you're missing John Entwistle, Geezer Butler, Neil Murray, Jonas Reingold, and some others, but no worries!

Besides the list having real famous ones, obviously being awesome like Wetton and Squire, I'll go for the overlooked Ray Shulman which is really a fantastic player, which surely get few votes.

Yes, but I'm talking about progressive rock. If I was talking about rock in general, I'd add maaany other bassists (Entwistle and McCartney being one of them)

And really, Ray Shulman is an overlooked bassist. For me, there's a draw between him and Squire. The best ones

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 20:11

and

respectively.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 20:18
^those are not the best, this one is:

The tallest and greatest bassist ever!Approve

Saw that solo live!Big smile

Posted By: Negoba
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 20:26
Edgar Meyer
Jonas Hellborg

I voted Shulman because of his overall musicianship which is almost funny. Someone once wrote about Devin Townsend that he was greedy, hogging all the talent. The same could be said for virtually every member of Gentle Giant.

-------------
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.

Posted By: JoaoPirucas
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 20:29
Chris Squire.

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 20:35
If you want my two favorite upright bassists:

and

That would be Niels-Henning Ørsted Pederse and Ray Brown, respectively.

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 22:05

Sorry if I forgot an important one.

you mention Helmut Köllen, which is nice because German bass players are very rarely mentioned, if at all. he committed suicide some 20 years ago; who knows how he might have developed?
nevertheless, there are in my opinion a lot of better German bass players, like Matz Steinke, Gerald Luciano Hartwig, Peter Kühmstedt and, most important of all and highly influential for many many German bass players, the great Helmut Hattler, who should be mentioned in any bass poll and would certainly get my vote in many
here a little video of him:
http://tinyurl.com/csehto - http://tinyurl.com/csehto
but don't worry, Hattler never gets mentioned in any bass polls, just like German musicians generally don't. drum polls never include Mani Neumeier or Jan Fride, to name just two excellent German drummers, guitar polls don't mention Roman Bunka (who probably is my favorite guitar player of all), sax polls don't mention Roland Schaeffer (who is also an excellent guitar player), Klaus Kreuzeder or Klaus Doldinger, and so on. it is quite amazing indeed.
the same is true for other nations, of course. I could mention, for example, a lot of French bass players too, like Patrice Congas, whose style I like immensely; it is very pumping, but at the same time very relaxed, which is quite rare

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 22:53

Well, the choice is obvious here...Hammond, followed by...hmm...Wetton, I think. 

Missing are Steve Harris of I Ron Maiden and Johnny Boy Entwhistler of The Who. 

Oh, and, since we're all being all hoity toity with our "insert great bass player here," I also nominate Charlie "Beatcha Down With a Beatstick" Mingus. He totally rocked. Out loud.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Posted By: Jozef
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 00:16
Chris Squire easily.

I'd vote for John Wetton and Nic Potter as well.

-------------

Posted By: Pekka
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 02:19
Out of these it's Squire and Wetton pretty evenly, and from out of the list I could bring in Geddy of course and Doug Ferguson from Camel. He's one of my biggest favourites. Other favorites would be for example Martin Mendez from Opeth, Paul McCartney and, possibly mentioned for the first time ever in a Progarchives bass player poll: Mike Dirnt from Green Day. Especially Insomniac is full of fantastic rock bass work.

BTW I respect Roger Waters for letting his bassist ego go on Amused to Death and hiring other players to do his thing. If I remember right he plays bass on only one song on that album, and not even all the lines.

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42652" rel="nofollow - It's on PA!

Posted By: easytargets
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 02:29
Chris Squire is my favourite in prog terms and I also have much love
for Tony Levin, Geddy Lee, John Myung and Billy Sheehan. Cacho has
mentioned my prog related bass machine: Geezer Butler, a freak of nature

-------------
The water rushes over all
cities crash in the mighty wave;
the final man is very small,
plunging in for his final bathe

Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 02:33
I wonder why no-one made a comment about the video I posted. Are you all sitting on your ears?

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 02:49
^I haven't watched it because my connection keeps f***ing up all the time Angry

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 02:54
I have already watched it. Smoooooth!!!!!!!!!!
Does Helmutt Hattler play in any other band?
I was just remembering and think I have seen
some of his features but can´t remember where
it was.It would be any spanish summer jazz fest,
I can´t be sure though

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 02:59
Hattler is most famous for being the bass player of Kraan. he also played in a short-lived two man band named "Tab Two"; the other member was trumpet player Joo Kraus. they played all instruments on their albums

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 03:01
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Hattler is most famous for being the bass player of Kraan. he also played in a short-lived two man band named "Tab Two"; the other member was trumpet player Joo Kraus. they played all instruments on their albums

Thanks.I´ll probably dig it in the futureSmile

-------------

Posted By: Diaby
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 03:23
Squire from here. But the biggest favourite is Jonas Reingold.

-------------
yeah

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 13:06
Originally posted by Diaby Diaby wrote:

Squire from here. But the biggest favourite is Jonas Reingold.

My thoughts precisely, köszi! Wink Must mention the fretless wonders: Levin, the amazing Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Giblin, Guy Pratt and John G.Perry , all are aces!

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 13:21

Chris Squire.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 14:20
Actually, one thing I'm really enjoying atm are Peter Cowling's bass parts from Gnidrolog's couple of albums. Probably not a Squire/Pastorius level of wow, but still, something to mention.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 14:24
hey I can play this game too...

where the hell is Richard Sinclair LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 14:25
^Down on the Farm I suppose Approve

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 14:26
NOOOO!!! I can't believe it... Another freakin' bassist pollAngryCry! There have been at least 20 such polls started in the three and a half years I've been here. Thank heavens Geddy Lee was not mentioned (as much as I love him).

Out of this list, the obvious choice would be Squire, with Wetton a close second. However, I think there are some important names missing... Why do people always forget the likes of Richard Sinclair, for instance?

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 16:55
Pretty much no one in this lists interests me.

-------------

Posted By: TheCaptain
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 17:18
From the list: Chris Squire
Favorite bassist: Jonas Reingold with Tony Levin a distant second and finally Squire as a distant third

-------------
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 17:34
Victor Wootton takes bass playing to a level beyond anyone else living or dead. He's in a class entirely of his own. Not even Stanley Clarke can touch him (also my nephew's view - a professional bass player)

Of those in the poll, I go for Squire, but Geddy Lee, John Entwhistle and John Jowett are even better. Ray Shulman is a very good bassist but is an astonishing multi-instrumentalist as well.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 17:58
Is this poll based on their ability to play bass, or just our favorite? Because Waters is my favorite, but he isn't the best at it, although  he isn't bad per se. I like the video of Waters playing money at Live8.

Posted By: JLocke
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 17:59

and

respectively.

Yeah, Wooten is a God when it comes to creative playing on the Bass Guitar.

Geddy Lee is good too, but honestly I prefer Squire's playing over his.

But I agree on Victor; had he been listed, I would have picked him.

Posted By: horsewithteeth11
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 23:11
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Pretty much no one in this lists interests me.

-------------

Posted By: WalterDigsTunes
Date Posted: February 22 2009 at 23:17
I'll go with the ever-reliable Chris Squire. His signature tone is one of the pivotal elements of the Yes sound.

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 00:43
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

From the list: Chris Squire
Favorite bassist: Jonas Reingold with Tony Levin a distant second and finally Squire as a distant third

EEEEEXCellent , you know your rumble!LOL

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: bassjumper
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 02:14

Hattler is most famous for being the bass player of Kraan. he also played in a short-lived two man band named "Tab Two".

All right, in comparison with Kraan and their almost 40 years on stage, 10 years of world wide touring with Tab Two may seem relatively short-lived.  Wink

A brandnew clip shows an excellent example of Kraan´s energy as a real power trio, performing Borgward. Fasten your seat belts!

http://blip.tv/file/1765542 - http://blip.tv/file/1765542

Posted By: Alberto Muñoz
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 10:08
From this list is not my favourite bass player:

Gary Thain:
Wink

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 10:15
http://urge2burge.wordpress.com/2008/02/21/john-mclaughlin-and-jonas-hellborg-schlosshoff-tuebingen-6221986/898/">jonas_hellborg-half.jpg

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 10:58
I agree with everyone complaining. All my favorites are missing, and most of the usual suspects are included.

Not that I don't like any of the ones in the poll, but can't you all atleast start to give some more options to select from? The poll actually allows you to pick 25. Surely you like more than 13 bassplayers? Anyway, I'll go for either Greaves or Wetton.

One member from Area should always be present in best whatever (basic) instrument polls. So should Richard Sinclair, Jannik Top, Hugh Hopper... can't remember more right now. Ain't Matt Thompson on Guapo pretty great?

My personal favorite is Art Zoyd's Thierry Zaboitzeff, and he might not be an extreme virtouso, but I love Can's Holger Czukay.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 12:37
Originally posted by Alberto Muñoz Alberto Muñoz wrote:

From this list is not my favourite bass player:

Gary Thain:
Wink

I should have expected this coming from youLOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 12:47
and the new star in bass heaven is this guy:
http://tinyurl.com/azar2p - http://tinyurl.com/azar2p

-------------

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 13:14

I wonder why no-one made a comment about the video I posted. Are you all sitting on your ears?
Actually I`m sitting on my pancreas right now. Sometimes I sit on my spleen but right now I`m in the mood to sit on my pancreas.

Seriously though, I just watched the vid. Groovy stuff. I completely agree with you with German musicians being overlooked or European musicians in general for that matter. I wish I had the time to check out the likes of Barbara Denerlien, Inga Rumpf, Guru Guru ( just watched a vid of them doing Ooga Booga with a Mani drum and hub cap solo! ). I remember your thread on Hattler a last year and I was in total support. I think people have to look beyon the USA and UK for scary musicians. I`m suprised nobody has mentioned Qébec bass player Alain Caron of UZEB fame or Antione Fafard of Spaced  Out another Québec fusion band that`s making waves in France and Europe.

That Torsten de Winkel is no slouch on the guitar either. I also like what the drummer can do with the  basic kit he has. Great band.

-------------

Posted By: nordwind
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 19:31

Definetly missing Geddy Lee & Steve Harris !

-------------
Jazz isn't dead.......it just smells funny.
Frank Zappa / Live in New York

Posted By: MovingPictures07
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 19:44
John Greaves!

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 20:00

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I agree with everyone complaining. All my favorites are missing, and most of the usual suspects are included.

Not that I don't like any of the ones in the poll, but can't you all atleast start to give some more options to select from? The poll actually allows you to pick 25. Surely you like more than 13 bassplayers? Anyway, I'll go for either Greaves or Wetton.

Of course, but the poll is on PROGRESSIVE bassists. If it was on Rock, Jazz, Blues and others, I would add many others. My favourite bassists also aren't on the list, because they are not from progressive rock (Paul McCartney, John Entwistle). And there's one more thing: I just put musicians I know. From Progressive Rock, what I know is on the list. I've never heard of Jannick Top, Richard Sinclair, Doug Ferguson, Gary Thain, Helmutt Hattler, Jonas Reingold, Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Giblin, Guy Pratt, John G.Perry, John Jowett and bla bla bla….. so I can’t talk about them neither put them on the list.

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 20:01
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

John Greaves!

hahaha, I though of you when I put him

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 20:09
I love Squire, voted Shulman, but put Tony Levin, Stanley Clarke, and Jaco Pastorius above all for both favorites and bests.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Hootywho
Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 21:56
From the list, Chris Squire although Mike Rutherford was a close second.

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2009 at 23:15

Of course, but the poll is on PROGRESSIVE bassists. If it was on Rock, Jazz, Blues and others, I would add many others. My favourite bassists also aren't on the list, because they are not from progressive rock (Paul McCartney, John Entwistle). And there's one more thing: I just put musicians I know. From Progressive Rock, what I know is on the list. I've never heard of Jannick Top, Richard Sinclair, Doug Ferguson, Gary Thain, Helmutt Hattler, Jonas Reingold, Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Giblin, Guy Pratt, John G.Perry, John Jowett and bla bla bla….. so I can’t talk about them neither put them on the list.

Now, you got some searching to do, all these "lesser known" guys are PHENOMENAL! Check them out fast, you will not regret - signed : the bass fetishistWink

-------------

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 10:24

I think polls like this should just be put forth as basic questions like, " Who is your favourite bassist", so as to avoid al the you missed this guy, you missed that guy posts.

-------------

Posted By: ProgShine
Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 14:27
It's obvious that all the grat bassists are great for some reaons, but Ray Shulman (Gentle Giant) is totally forgetted which is a real shame, the guy is incredible.

-------------
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Posted By: sparkslive
Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 15:18
STING  whoa, just  kidding.

T.Lev   fav and best. Last show with Tony was Crimson 40th Anniversary Tour.

Would have liked to see,
John Myung
Les Claypool
Jack Bruce
Justin Chancellor
and Collin Edwin
on the list. but then that combined with everyone else's picks, this list would be miles long.

seconded Brufordfreak, with the Jaco Pastrious & S. Clarke. and would add Percy Jones, as a start.
something you might be interested in but probably already know. Head over to Sid's page
http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2009/02/podcasts-from-yellow-room-iii.html - http://sidsmith.blogspot.com/2009/02/podcasts-from-yellow-room-iii.html  

In the end I had to vote John Wetton, going to play Starless.

Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 15:52
Gene Simmons. Whoops ! Just kidding.

-------------

Posted By: rwmiller
Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 16:26
Line ( not necessarily a fine one ) between hyped popularity and sheer musical talent. Anybody hear of

John Paul Jones...would also like to mention James Jamerson, but since this is prog blog...

-------------
rwm group

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 24 2009 at 17:04
Kristoffer Gildenlow.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: sparkslive
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 03:41
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Victor Wootton takes bass playing to a level beyond anyone else living or dead. He's in a class entirely of his own. Not even Stanley Clarke can touch him (also my nephew's view - a professional bass player)

Of those in the poll, I go for Squire, but Geddy Lee, John Entwhistle and John Jowett are even better. Ray Shulman is a very good bassist but is an astonishing multi-instrumentalist as well.

Victor is marvelous but  Stanley can't touch him, might be a bit bold.

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 04:19
Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

It's obvious that all the grat bassists are great for some reaons, but Ray Shulman (Gentle Giant) is totally forgetted which is a real shame, the guy is incredible.

He is included here, and got the second most votes, so he is not that forgetteded(ed).

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: ProgShine
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 05:26

He is included here, and got the second most votes, so he is not that forgetteded(ed).

I think you're right  Big smile

But you know, we've used to heard so much about the great bass players, and he shows so little, in this case I think we could 'revenge' his name LOL

-------------
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Posted By: toolis
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 05:37

Dieter Horns (Lucifer's Friend)

-------------
-music is like pornography...

sometimes amateurs turn us on, even more...

-sometimes you are the pigeon and sometimes you are the statue...

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 06:23
Another great bass player that should not be forgotten is Colin Hodgkinson of the Dutch jazz rock band Back Door. He also played in the bands of Alexis Korner, Jan Hammer, Whitesnake, Chris Farlowe, Konstantin Wecker, Jon Lord and Brian Auger. he is most famous for his chord playing technique on the bass guitar.
And, as usual, here a few little videos of him, where you can watch his phenomenal playing:
http://tinyurl.com/cytl6n - http://tinyurl.com/cytl6n
http://tinyurl.com/bgoj2k - http://tinyurl.com/bgoj2k

And here a few with his band, Back Door:
http://tinyurl.com/c7wxfq - http://tinyurl.com/c7wxfq
http://tinyurl.com/cxqs5l - http://tinyurl.com/cxqs5l
http://tinyurl.com/dmd4v9 - http://tinyurl.com/dmd4v9
http://tinyurl.com/afbjzj - http://tinyurl.com/afbjzj
http://tinyurl.com/ab42q7 - http://tinyurl.com/ab42q7
But it is no wonder no-one knows of him, since Back Door are not even in the archives! Angry

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 06:51
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

Actually I've read that he wasn't very good in the early Floyd days and couldn't even tune his bass properly, although I'm not familiar with his later solo works.
Having Chris Squire in the poll renders it a bit of a foregone conclusion. I would nominate Richard Sinclair for his marvellous jazzy bass lines in Hatfield and the North.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 07:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Another great bass player that should not be forgotten is Colin Hodgkinson of the Dutch jazz rock band Back Door. He also played in the bands of Alexis Korner, Jan Hammer, Whitesnake, Chris Farlowe, Konstantin Wecker, Jon Lord and Brian Auger. he is most famous for his chord playing technique on the bass guitar.
And, as usual, here a few little videos of him, where you can watch his phenomenal playing:

But it is no wonder no-one knows of him, since Back Door are not even in the archives! Angry

You know, Friede, I think at least Dick Heath would support Back Door's inclusion. I remember I've seen them mentioned here a number of times. Perhaps starting a thread in the Suggest Bands and Artists section would not be a bad ideaWink.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 07:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You know, Friede, I think at least Dick Heath would support Back Door's inclusion. I remember I've seen them mentioned here a number of times. Perhaps starting a thread in the Suggest Bands and Artists section would not be a bad ideaWink.

Done! Smile

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 11:51
Last night I enjoyed a show by a band called
Lord Bishop Rocks (from NYC). They´re described
as a mix of Hendrix and James Brown.
Very cool stuff with a lot of funky rhytm that made me
remember about an excellent non prog bassit: FLEA from
RHCP.

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by Hootywho Hootywho wrote:

From the list, Chris Squire although Mike Rutherford was a close second.

Yeees, both are great

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 15:26

I think you're right  Big smile

But you know, we've used to heard so much about the great bass players, and he shows so little, in this case I think we could 'revenge' his name LOL

I'm really happy he got so much votes, he's simply amazing !

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 15:32
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I think polls like this should just be put forth as basic questions like, " Who is your favourite bassist", so as to avoid al the 'you missed this guy, you missed that guy' posts.

Yes, I think you're right Tongue

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: February 25 2009 at 15:33
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Now, you got some searching to do, all these "lesser known" guys are PHENOMENAL! Check them out fast, you will not regret - signed : the bass fetishistWink

hahaha, I'll do it, for sure

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 13:20

Not one of them is a great favorite of mine... though Rutherford being in Genesis certainly makes him my favorite of this list....

-------------

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:02

Most certainly support Back Door - although the blues jazz output of their first three albums (I think Hodgkinson left at that point to join Jan Hammer), may be an issue for many. BTW Back Door is English not Dutch, unless Yorkshire has become a Dutch colony.

Should note that it appears Jan Hammer employed CH for his vocal abilities - check out Black Sheep and you'll discover CH is not credited as playing the bass. In fact CH really isn't used for his bass playing until Jan Hammer got together with Neil Schon. With Whitesnake his bass-playing lacks much in the way of the classic Hodkinson playing that sets out his playing with Back Door or his solo work. There should be an excellent video of CH (with that groundbreaking Fender work) with equal billing with Alexis Korner somewhere around.  Jonas Hellborg - master bassist - acknowledges CH as his influence.

-------------
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php - http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:08
LEMMY! Employ Simon King on drums and you have the best rhythm section of all time, it's funny how on Space Ritual those two play rings around the rest of the band.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:17
From your list, Chris Squire easily wins.
Other great Bass players, which have been inspirational to me:
  • Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
  • Gary Thain (Uriah Heep)
  • Jaco Pastorious (Weather Report)
  • Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
  • Les Claypool (Primus)
Tongue

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:46
Tony Levin
Miroslav Vitous
Jeff Berlin
Jonas Hellborg

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: thanos_2112
Date Posted: March 21 2009 at 14:01

I could not agree more!!!!!!ClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------
www.myspace.com/quadratheband

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: March 21 2009 at 18:19
I´m going with Shulman... so much groove

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: Nov
Date Posted: March 21 2009 at 21:33

I've never heard of Jannick Top, Richard Sinclair, Doug Ferguson, Gary Thain, Helmutt Hattler, Jonas Reingold, Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Giblin, Guy Pratt, John G.Perry, John Jowett and bla bla bla….. so I can’t talk about them neither put them on the list

Hellooooo!!

Shocked

Time to broaden your horizons maybe?

Camel, Caravan, The Flower Kings, Brand X, Japan, Pink Floyd, IQ, etc, etc.

You may not have heard of the bass players, but you need to hear their bands Wink

Personally speaking, Jonas Reingold is my favourite bass guitarist.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 10:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Actually I've read that he wasn't very good in the early Floyd days and couldn't even tune his bass properly, although I'm not familiar with his later solo works.
Having Chris Squire in the poll renders it a bit of a foregone conclusion. I would nominate Richard Sinclair for his marvellous jazzy bass lines in Hatfield and the North.

Waters actually started off playing rhythm guitar in the pre-Floyd days, and only drifted into the role of bassist as they didn't have one!!  He did turn out pretty good in the end though Wink.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 11:00
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I've never heard of Jannick Top, Richard Sinclair, Doug Ferguson, Gary Thain, Helmutt Hattler, Jonas Reingold, Percy Jones, Mick Karn, John Giblin, Guy Pratt, John G.Perry, John Jowett and bla bla bla….. so I can’t talk about them neither put them on the list

Hellooooo!!

Shocked

You may not have heard of the bass players, but you need to hear their bands Wink

Two very good ones mentioned there Nov, Jonas Reingold and the very underestimated John Jowitt.  

Posted By: thanos_2112
Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 11:12
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Kristoffer Gildenlow.

i can't believe noone else mentioned him!!!!!

-------------
www.myspace.com/quadratheband

Posted By: Laszlo
Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 16:48
My pick would be John Paul Jones on his solo projects Zooma and Thunderthief.

Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 18:58
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Hellooooo!!

Shocked

I know PF and like VERY much. Camel, Caravan and The Flower Kings are on my 'list of get-to-know'. Smile

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 19:16
check out Caravan first

... if you've heard Genesis...  you've heard Camel...it's Genesis on Quaaludes....

... if you've heard Yes...  you've heard The Flower Kings... just with cheesier keyboards and more manly sounding singer...

if you haven't heard Caravan... ahhhh...  you're missing out on a unique treat...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 19:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

check out Caravan first

... if you've heard Genesis...  you've heard Camel...it's Genesis on Quaaludes....

... if you've heard Yes...  you've heard The Flower Kings... just with cheesier keyboards and more manly sounding singer...

if you haven't heard Caravan... ahhhh...  you're missing out on a unique treat...

hahaha, ok Tongue

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 19:26
just kidding of course....well.. half kidding hahah but you do need to check out Caravan first.  Richard Sinclair is a first class bassist... and his voice... my god..  he makes me swoon....Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 19:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

just kidding of course....well.. half kidding hahah but you do need to check out Caravan first.  Richard Sinclair is a first class bassist... and his voice... my god..  he makes me swoon....Embarrassed

Yes, I'll surely do it, I know that both are great bands. I'll pay attention to that bass Wink

-------------
Symphonic Prog Master

Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 19:35
good man Clap

-------------

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: March 23 2009 at 21:18
I voted for Chris Squire from this poll - superb bassist. Would have liked to have seen Les Claypool, Gary Thain, Guy Pratt on this poll amongst a host of others already mentioned that are missing. Still a poll has to be controversial in someway so as to create discussion Wink

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk