Print Page | Close Window

Franco Battiato : where do I begin ?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68640
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 05:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Franco Battiato : where do I begin ?
Posted By: lucas
Subject: Franco Battiato : where do I begin ?
Date Posted: June 24 2010 at 16:43
Hi all,

I am into Franco Battiato recently (easily the most important artist in the RPI section of PA). I love his pop songs (really, great music), his classical music albums and his "fleurs" trilogy. I am less impressed by his most experimental works of the seventies, but if you could give me some recommendations I would be more than happy to dig further his "progressive" side (I only know 'juke box' of this era).

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Replies:
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:48
Any fan of Franco Battiato ?

Very strange in a prog rock forum...

-------------

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:56
I really love two of his albums: Clic, and Sulle Corde di Aries.
Not a Battiato expert, but I can recommend you those two experimental albums.

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:58
Micky will post as soon as possible to give you his own recommendations. In the meantime, I second Sulle Corde di Aries (you can read our reviews if you like), and also Pollution, his second album. Fetus is not on the same level, at least in my own opinion.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:58
Sorry I can't help Lucas, I've only just begun my Battiato journey myself.  Great stuff, though not my favorite RPI.  You should post your question in the Appreciation thread, more of the RPI fanatics might spot it there.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 11:48
^
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Approve
I will check them and give you my impressions.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 12:04
listening to songs from Micky's avatar on youtube :

"da oriente a occidente" : it has a strong medieval feel to it and I love the hypnotic voice of Battiato (reminds me a lot of Roy Harper's echoed voice).

The saxophone at the end of "aria di revoluzione" is reminiscent of some soft machine works or Ian Anderson's subtle play on 'a passion play'. Some discreet percussions and spoken words (in german (!?!)) and electronics add for some spacey/psychedelic atmosphere.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 12:06
^ that's a fantastic albumClap, a bold statement, relaxing and yet restless

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 12:11
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

though not my favorite RPI

but for sure the most original of all italian artists listed in PA...Experimental, prog, pop, classical music : I am not an expert in RPI but I am practically sure that no other artist exploited so many different genres.

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 12:22
He's certainly one of the greats, but there are many RPI artists in his league in terms of cross contaminations.  I'm personally not interested in naming "the best" or the "most important" artist in any genre as it is such a subjective thing.  Sorrenti, Battisti, Rocchi, Banco, QVL, RRR, to name a couple....tons of RPI artists skillfully went into various styles for better or worse. 

If you think he's the single best one, that's cool.  Cool  

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 17:33
^
But unlike the artists you listed, Franco succeeded in the other genres he touched : pop and classical music.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 27 2010 at 18:49
your best bet lucas is to read the reviews.. both Andrea P and I have reviewed a great many of his albums at the very least.  With an artist of such variety and dissimilar albums...  recommendations don't really do the trick.. they are simply what me or the next guy likes.  With the review you can find what sounds good to you..stylistically. I know my reviews tried to touch less on 'likes' and more about what you are getting in sound and style.

Posted By: esky
Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 14:35
Generally corny but worth having here and there.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 15:39
Battiato is great, I think.  I would also recommend Sulle Corde di Aries.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: July 04 2010 at 09:06
I am no expert but I know he is very popular here so check album ratings on his page here. some good recommendations here too

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 08 2010 at 17:01
Hi,

Given the time and place, this is nice stuff. I would suggest that it is more in the line of experimental than it is meant to be "musical" or try to compete with ideas about music at all.

There is a lot of really nice stuff in just about any album!

It might not go over well today, specially for people that play rap and pound beats and then listen to metal and consider it progressive. Stuff like this would be, by comparison a lot more artistic and in left field and not for every listener at all!

There are a lot of out in left and right field folks and artists all over Europe and those days (the 70's) they really had a nice run .. until the English/American music business told all these bands to go to heck since they only made a dime, not a dollar!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 08 2010 at 19:11
the favourite that I have heard is Caffe de La Paix.

If you like his more accessible stuff, try Angelo Branduardi, whom Raff introduced me to.  I actually prefer him.  Try La Pulce D'Acqua.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk