Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73153
Printed Date: June 04 2024 at 21:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Trollin' Polls Vol. 1: Dream Theater vs. Magma
Posted By: Anthony H.
Subject: Trollin' Polls Vol. 1: Dream Theater vs. Magma
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:10
This is the first in a series of polls I plan to make that, despite having nothing objectively offensive about them, will in all likelihood create fierce and vitriolic argument. Let the blood begin, folks!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: harmonium.ro
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:14
For real trolling, Magma should win, but I foresee this isn't going to happen. 

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:19

Just compare.

Magma definitely.

Posted By: The Sleepwalker
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:19
Both suck. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:21
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Nice poll Tony

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:21
Originally posted by The Sleepwalker The Sleepwalker wrote:

Both suck. Wink

I have to admit this IS good trolling Clap

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 13:51
Let there be glao.

Magma iss deh hundin.  Wurdah Dream Theater.

-------------
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist

Posted By: Elderflower Man
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:04
The trolling, it hurts...! D= 

Haven't listened to much Magma, so I'm not voting. Although I will say that Dream Theater still have my love because a) they did amazing stuff, so shut up, and b) they introduced me to prog. 

-------------
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:22
Magma!

-------------

Posted By: Atoms
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:50
Magma all the way, Dream Theater is one of the least enjoyable prog metal bands, no wait, one of the least enjoyable prog metal bands

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 14:53
I like both, but Magma is my favourite of these two.

-------------

Posted By: progkidjoel
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 15:06
Magma.

-------------

Posted By: Rrozza
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:20
DT 

Posted By: Noak
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:21
Haha, damn. Magma for sure. Dream Theater are awful.

Posted By: Lizzy
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:42
Thus far this poll has been a very effective way of burying DT alive. Kewl!

-------------
Property of Queen Productions...

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:47
2 [11.11%]
16 [88.89%]
Wow, this is indeed surprising. The 'prohibition of newbies to vote' actually works? Or maybe DT fans are all sleeping...hmm..

Posted By: Textbook
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:50
It's funny, I used to think DT were going to go down as a legend of prog, but now it seems their legacy is unravelling. The more time passes, the more people seem to view them as cheesy and over-rated. Maybe they won't be remembered so well after all.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 16:57
Magma

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:18
I would strongly disagree with those who would say that Dream Theater's debut is better than Magma's, but I do like "Ytse Jam".  It reminds me of Spinal Tap's "Rock 'n Roll Creation".

-------------
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:20
Although, tbqh, DT's debut is by far their best

which puts it about on-par with Merci

Posted By: Klogg
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:20
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Surprise! Magma is winning!

-------------
Pentagram Pizza YumYum Bloody

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:25
Originally posted by Klogg Klogg wrote:

Not sure yet. When they were in the band tournament against Zappa, they had double the votes for the first hours, but then people kept coming online and in the end Zappa won with a vast majority. It seems to me that avantgarde / zeuhl fans stay online more, while conventional prog Wink fans come less often, or even only occasionally.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:29

Not sure yet. When they were in the band tournament against Zappa, they had double the votes for the first hours, but then people kept coming online and in the end Zappa won with a vast majority. It seems to me that avantgarde / zeuhl fans stay online more, while conventional prog Wink fans come less often, or even only occasionally.

you know what?  wasn't that before the admins cracked down on multiple poll accounts?

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:30
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

you know what?  wasn't that before the admins cracked down on multiple poll accounts?

that is another possible explanation, yes.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:32

If talking "Ooh, Ooh Baby", you have a point Wink, but I don't think anything on DT's debut as good as  "Eliphas Levi" or "The Night We Died". I'm one of those who really likes Merci on-the-whole.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If talking "Ooh, Ooh Baby", you have a point Wink, but I don't think anything on DT's debut as good as  "Eliphas Levi" or "The Night We Died". I'm one of those who really likes Merci on-the-whole.

While I can appreciate those songs, I'm never going to choose to listen to Merci over anything else Magma, whereas if I listen to DT it will most likely be the debut.  So yeah

edit: that barely made sense

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:50

Otis is fantastic, and I have to thank Greg for spreading it through the forum various times till I finally gave it a go with that cute little kid singing to it.

Posted By: mahavishnujoel
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 17:56
sorry magma fans but my vote goes to dream theater. if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have found out about progressive rock including of course magma. plus they have some really cool moments that appeal to me a little more then Magma's style (even though I love MDK).

-------------
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:00
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Otis is fantastic, and I have to thank Greg for spreading it through the forum various times till I finally gave it a go with that cute little kid singing to it.

"Otis" is fun.  Merci has two "Otis" parts, and I particularly like part two from the album (an organ piece), but I do enjoy all "Otis"s.

Here are some youtube Otis videos:

A fairly recent live performance:

The much laughed at TV show one:

The little girl sing-a-long:

And a spoof:

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:04

^not only its fun, but its superb r&b or whatever the genre it is. The groove, the atmoshpere and Vander's vocals, it's awesome simple music.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:15
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

^not only its fun, but its superb r&b or whatever the genre it is. The groove, the atmoshpere and Vander's vocals, it's awesome simple music.

It is very good. Merci has some very good groove, R&Bish songs.  I also like it very much when Christian Vander sings (a reason I like E-Re so much).  Some of the ones where he sings have such great groove such as "Hhai":

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:16
There is a soul/funk vibe in most of Magma's material that I know. 

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 18:19

There is a soul/funk vibe in most of Magma's material that I know. 

True, a reason I like Magma so much.

EDIT: By the way, just because this track for some reason has been so special to me (I love the debut):

It's weird ina way that so many bands I've liked I've put aside, but Magma I've never grown tired of (hasn't been many years since I first heard Magma, mind you, but a lot of bands I cared about over the last six or so years have fallen out of favour).

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:17
Man, this is even pissing me off, and I'm the one who started the poll. LOL I started this poll just to see the massive avant-snobbery of the people here, and oh my god is it working.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:20
So Anthony, who did you vote for?

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:20
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Man, this is even pissing me off, and I'm the one who started the poll. LOL I started this poll just to see the massive avant-snobbery of the people here, and oh my god is it working.

Bravo, best troll post yet! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:21

DT.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:25

DT.

Seriously? Oh, knowing that you're a big Zappa fan I would have expected you to vote for Magma. Oh well... you're not a real Zappa fan then... *cough* trolling *cough*

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:25

DT.

Allright, you can now forget the way to the Shred. You are expelled, young man. Angry

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:32

DT.

Allright, you can now forget the way to the Shred. You are expelled, young man. Angry

I hate Magma because it's pretty much just the same stuff repeated over and over with really annoying vocals and  sh*tty drums.

[Trolling]

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:39
This is the only Magma band Anthony loves:

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:42
I love Magma, but I love DT more. I know, how pedestrian.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:45

I don't see any avant-snobbery, I see people honestly discussing a band that they love.  You're some kind of anti-avant snob, Anthony

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:47

I don't see any avant-snobbery, I see people honestly discussing a band that they love.  You're some kind of anti-avant snob, Anthony

The trollishness of this poll is even sucking me in! I must cease.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 19:48
Again, not trolling in the slightest. 

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 21:03
Dream Theater is more popular than Magma, so they have to be doing something right.

Maybe that thing could be writing actual songs and not singing gobbledygook over 13th chords any monkey could play.

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 21:07
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Dream Theater is more popular than Magma, so they have to be doing something right.

Maybe that thing could be writing actual songs and not singing gobbledygook over 13th chords any monkey could play.

LOL

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 21:11
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

It's funny, I used to think DT were going to go down as a legend of prog, but now it seems their legacy is unravelling. The more time passes, the more people seem to view them as cheesy and over-rated. Maybe they won't be remembered so well after all.

Indeed, DT in the fullness of time will barely leave a crease in the Prog pillow.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 21:56

Justin Bieber is more popular than Tangerine Dream, so he must be doing something right.

Maybe that thing could be writing actual songs and not playing gobblegygook over sequencers any monkey could play

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:17
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Indeed, DT in the fullness of time will barely leave a crease in the Prog pillow.

Prog pillow! LOL  Yeah, it's funny, maybe as we move further and further from that decade, people find it harder and harder to digest 80s music, as in the typical cheesy, oversaturated 80s elements (heaven knows there was good music in that decade too).  Nevertheless, Magma-ism courtesy chief Kobaian Logan must be in full force now or the DT fans must have disappeared for the voting beggars belief at the moment.   Shocked   Voted for Magma, btw.  I am no avant-snob but I am no prog metal fanboy either. Wink 

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:29
Wow, I opened this thread to vote for Magma expecting DT would be ahead, because Magma is not for everybody.

As a fact some months ago I would had not voted.

But this is a massacre, good for Magma.

BTW: This was my entrance to the Magma saga...Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:44
I knew that Magma would win this, because I know the people who regularly post on these forums. I don't mind them winning, because the music that they make is incredible. The problem that I have with DT haters is that they for some reason take pride in the fact that they don't like the band, which is the very definition of snobbery.

Also, DT are certainly going to be viewed fondly in generations to come. They're one of the bands who helped bring prog into this generation of listeners; you can't deny that, whether you like them or not. Their music is near and dear to the hearts of many people (including myself). If you don't like them, then that's no big deal, but don't insist that there's some sort of objective problem with their music.

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:47
Hmmmmm I really like DT, but I also really like Magma.

Actually not sure Shocked
So different, tough for me to compare head on.
Gunna give my vote for Magma by an inch.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:51
I've heard very little Magma, but for what I've heard on the clips posted here and what I searched on Youtube, I'm pretty sure it's not my thing (well, their were a pair of clips that were somewhat easier to digest than the rest). On the other hand, I really like DT a lot, so that's my vote.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:52

The problem that I have with DT haters is that they for some reason take pride in the fact that they don't like the band, which is the very definition of snobbery.

I simply can't understand this position Anthony. 

If people don't like ELP, Genesis or Yes, hey say it and no problem, why must we keep silent when it's the turn of Dream Theater?

And why must we be called DT haters?

I just don't like DT at all...Is that being snob?

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:56

but don't insist that there's some sort of objective problem with their music.

IF technical exhibitionism is not a problem for you, then yes there's nothing wrong with their music.  Most DT fans refuse to acknowledge this and yet the Rudess years reek of exhibitionism to my ears and most other people who have this complaint(I really like the Moore albums, speaking of which).  And I don't 'discriminate':  I don't like Karn Evil 9 as much as I used to because a lot of it now feels like "Look, I am Keith Emerson, the best keyboardist in the history of music" when the much more controlled Dave Stewart could have shown him a thing or two.   Likewise, maybe you don't mind a cheesy and overemotive style of singing so much but that is the complaint most people who don't like La Brie's vocals have of his singing.   

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 22:58

Justin Bieber is more popular than Tangerine Dream, so he must be doing something right.

Maybe that thing could be writing actual songs and not playing gobblegygook over sequencers any monkey could play

I agree. It's a fault in my own taste that I don't like Justin Beiber that much, but at least I recognize that. Not as much I can say for Magma fans who apparently value long, female-repellent beards over a good tune.

Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 23:02

I agree. It's a fault in my own taste that I don't like Justin Beiber that much, but at least I recognize that. Not as much I can say for Magma fans who apparently value long, female-repellent beards over a good tune.

And Kohntarkohz pt-2 does not have melody? It's more gorgeous than DT's cliched AOR/glam-y vocal melodies.  And what about Coltrane Sundae?  And if it's just about a good tune, why are we all on a prog forum anyway? I am not saying that all prog should be, in the words of Exitthelemming, only the heinously weird, atonal, free-form, balloon animal strangling extremes of modern jazz LOL but prog is about expanding the frontiers of what's possible, right?

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 23:16

I knew that Magma would win this, because I know the people who regularly post on these forums. I don't mind them winning, because the music that they make is incredible. The problem that I have with DT haters is that they for some reason take pride in the fact that they don't like the band, which is the very definition of snobbery.

Also, DT are certainly going to be viewed fondly in generations to come. They're one of the bands who helped bring prog into this generation of listeners; you can't deny that, whether you like them or not. Their music is near and dear to the hearts of many people (including myself). If you don't like them, then that's no big deal, but don't insist that there's some sort of objective problem with their music.

Yet more knee-jerk post-modern sentiments lobbing the cultural relativist view of aesthetics. I'm not entirely convinced that DT represent some sort of 'portal to Prog' for plain vanilla metal fans either. (Oops, apologies for denying what you deem to be self evident - another potted description of snobbery I'll hazard)

But let's not quibble, we both know full well that DT invariably polarize opinion and whenever those of us even bother to provide detailed reasons for not liking them, their legions of fanboys reaction is the polar opposite of it 'being no big deal'

BTW I don't think you a fanboy

Furthermore, why did you choose two bands for comparison purposes that are not even considered to be in the same genre?

-------------

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: November 13 2010 at 23:40

Both paragraphs are incredibly true.

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:20

The problem that I have with DT haters is that they for some reason take pride in the fact that they don't like the band, which is the very definition of snobbery.

Oh, missed this! No, it is just very amusing to listen to DT fanboys throw a fit whenever their invincible heroes are, even judiciously, criticized.  You will no doubt find it hard to swallow this but I don't find much DT hate on PA, except for people like Walter.  Talk to metalheads and you will hear them utterly dismissing DT as flower metal w***ers.   So, Exitthelemming is absolutely right, they are not really much of a gateway to prog for metalheads because metalheads typically don't subscribe to the DT aesthetic. 

Posted By: mahavishnujoel
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:23
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Both paragraphs are incredibly true.

ClapClapClapClapClap

-------------
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Oh, missed this! No, it is just very amusing to listen to DT fanboys throw a fit whenever their invincible heroes are, even judiciously, criticized.  You will no doubt find it hard to swallow this but I don't find much DT hate on PA, except for people like Walter.  Talk to metalheads and you will hear them utterly dismissing DT as flower metal w***ers.   So, Exitthelemming is absolutely right, they are not really much of a gateway to prog for metalheads because metalheads typically don't subscribe to the DT aesthetic. 

I know 7 metalheads who listen to DT. I was one of them, and DT were indeed my gateway to prog.

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:25

I know 7 metalheads who listen to DT. I was one of them, and DT were indeed my gateway to prog.

It was a generalized statement and exceptions don't disprove the rule. I can show you many more than, ermmm, 7 metalheads who absolutely dislike DT.  The first time I heard DT, I didn't even know they were prog because I hadn't heard of this thing called prog metal.  I thought they were some kind of flashy metal music.  I already knew some of Genesis/Yes's music and didn't find much similarity between them and DT, sorry! Tongue

Posted By: TheClosing
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:27
Magma annoy me more, thus I prefer DT. Tongue

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:28

It was a generalized statement and exceptions don't disprove the rule. I can show you many more than, ermmm, 7 metalheads who absolutely dislike DT.  The first time I heard DT, I didn't even know they were prog because I hadn't heard of this thing called prog metal.  I thought they were some kind of flashy metal music.  I already knew some of Genesis/Yes's music and didn't find much similarity between them and DT, sorry! Tongue
Its true that more metalheads will dislike them then like them. But I find it holds true that DT still can be a gateway band to prog. As I said, they were for me. Tongue

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:32

Its true that more metalheads will dislike them then like them. But I find it holds true that DT still can be a gateway band to prog. As I said, they were for me. Tongue

Well, if that's what you mean, Magma can never be a gateway prog band. Tongue  I think Rush, Floyd, Yes and PT are ideal gateway bands (and I am not a huge fan of the last mentioned). DT - I don't know, they polarize people a lot more than any of these bands.  It becomes hard to convince people who were turned off badly by DT that prog rock can be a good thing to listen to - *ouch*!

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:50
Jethro Tull = THE gateway band

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 00:53
DT

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 01:27
I love the opinions of some members who come to a Prog site:

1.- if you don't like Pop...You are a Prog snob
2.- If you don't like Punk...You are a Prog snob
3.- If you don't like  Dream Theater....... you are a snob.

But if you don't like Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and now Magma, it's ok, you just have good taste.

You can't even dare to like Magma more than Dream Theater, because then you are a an Avant Snob (Amazing, because Magma is closer to Wagner and Karl Orff than to Avant Garde).

But some years ago DT fanboys bombarded us with hundreds (it's not a figure of speech) of threads saying that Dream Theater was the best band ever, there was a point when all the threads in the main page were about this band, and we had to accept it without saying anything..

Now it's a sin to dislike Dream Theater.....Well, then I'm a sinner, I can't stand more than 5 minutes of their music without wanting to pick my eardrums with rusty nails.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Lark the Starless
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 01:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well, then I'm a sinner, I can't stand more than 5 minutes of their music without wanting to pick my eardrums with rusty nails.

DT isn't THAT bad LOL 

-------------

Posted By: Gandalff
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 01:58
Magma for their indisputable originality!

-------------
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 06:38
The best thing done by Dream Theater is Portnoy joining Transatlantic. Magma are too big to be compaerd with DT.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 06:40
Magma is closer to Wagner and Karl Orff 

I subscribe this statement. Carmina Burana gave me the hint on how to listen to Magma's music. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 06:41
and I suggest Carl Orff for inclusion in RIO/Avant....LOL

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 06:47
Dream Theater gets my vote without further comment.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 07:32
Finally this thread has become what it was supposed to be from the very beginning! Clap

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Hmmmmm I really like DT, but I also really like Magma.

Actually not sure Shocked
So different, tough for me to compare head on.
Gunna give my vote for Magma by an inch.

Shocked

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:01

Finally this thread has become what it was supposed to be from the very beginning! Clap

I know! Thumbs Up

Also, Koenjikyakkei = THE gateway band.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:03
I must confess you did a good job Anthony!

But make sure not to step in the Shred while I'm in there Angry Wink

Posted By: chrijom
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:43
No contest - Magma!

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:50

I don't believe that Harmonium, people is not trolling despite what Anthony is trying to cause with his statements.

Members are just expressing their position without the need of being called snobs.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 08:57
Flash News:  Dream Theater fans are now so secure in their belief that there is no band like DT that henceforth votes against DT will be regarded as trolling. 

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:09

Flash News:  Dream Theater fans are now so secure in their belief that there is no band like DT that henceforth votes against DT will be regarded as trolling. 

I don't think that a single person thinks that. Confused

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:12
Please add a I don't know either of them option in your polls. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:12

I don't believe that Harmonium

I don't know what exactly you expected this thread to be but if you look above Anthony confirmed that this is what he expected the thread to be Tongue

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:13
I must say I have steered clear of Zeuhl for as long as I could, and apparently for good reason. It sounds just as pretentious, discordant and up its own a** as I suspected.

It does, however make me laugh how all the 'die hard' prog fans love Zeuhl. If it didn't exist, some other hocus pocus genre would be dredged up from the depths just so that they could have something to listen to while sneering down their noses at the 'unwashed masses' who listen to the likes of Dream Theater - 'euugh'.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:18
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I must say I have steered clear of Zeuhl for as long as I could, and apparently for good reason. It sounds just as pretentious, discordant and up its own a** as I suspected.

It does, however make me laugh how all the 'die hard' prog fans love Zeuhl. If it didn't exist, some other hocus pocus genre would be dredged up from the depths just so that they could have something to listen to while sneering down their noses at the 'unwashed masses' who listen to the likes of Dream Theater - 'euugh'.

Even if you are not totally right about that, I like you for writing it. Big smile

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:32

This is trolling...Why can't we like something different that Dream Theater?

Now, Zeuhl hasn't been dredged from the depths, it existed decades before Prog Metal was even on plans, and has passed the test of time, something with what DT seems to have problems, they were extremely popular at the beginning, some seem in the path to oblivion...

BTW: I don't give a damn for Zeuhl, tried most of the other bands and didn't found anything worth for me, but Magma is an exception, I don't care if it's Zeuhl, Avant, or some weird form of Jazzy Symphonic, I love that band and I shouldn't be having to explain this to DT fanboys that don't accept that there's much more in music than a group of talented musicians (Except LaBrie) who IMO never formed a coherent band.

For God's sake, how arrogant can people be

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:34

If people don't like ELP, Genesis or Yes, hey say it and no problem, why must we keep silent when it's the turn of Dream Theater?

Iván

Oh no ... I totally respect people who don't enjoy listening to DT. These people are completely different to 'DT Haters'.

A 'DT Hater' is someone who heard about a band called Dream Theater, then heard that they were a Progressive band, however on hearing that some people liked them who LISTENED TO OTHER MUSIC THAT WAS NOT PROGRESSIVE Shocked

they decided to exclude them from their beloved genre and hunt down every DT forum topic just to spew abuse at the band that dared to connect prog with (i hesitate to use this word on PA in case several fat, sweaty middle aged men hunt me down) ... m-a-i-n-s-t-r-e-a-m...

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:43

Iván

Oh no ... I totally respect people who don't enjoy listening to DT. These people are completely different to 'DT Haters'.

A 'DT Hater' is someone who heard about a band called Dream Theater, then heard that they were a Progressive band, however on hearing that some people liked them who LISTENED TO OTHER MUSIC THAT WAS NOT PROGRESSIVE Shocked

they decided to exclude them from their beloved genre and hunt down every DT forum topic just to spew abuse at the band that dared to connect prog with (i hesitate to use this word on PA in case several fat, sweaty middle aged men hunt me down) ... m-a-i-n-s-t-r-e-a-m...
Pretty much what I was about to post.

He didn't mean that if you don't like DT, you're a snob. He means if you're a DT hater who takes every opportunity to bash them repeatedly, saying their not prog, saying all they do is noodle around with their instruments etc. It's snobbish, it's ignorant, and it's completely unneeded.

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:46
I like Dream Theater - I find their live recordings more enjoyable than their studio ones, for some reason. I feel the same way about Yes. Wacko

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:10

Hunt every DT thread?

That would be impossible.

Our search system only shows 100 threads and stops to search older ones, but I found:
  1. 100 Dream Theater threads....The system stops searching in June 2009, so there must be nearly 500 threads about Dream Theater alone if we count from 2004 until may 2009.
  2. 100 threads about DT
  3. 62 threads bout Octavarium
  4. 20 threads about Metropolis Pt 2
  5. 22 threads about Systematic Chaos
  6. 5 threads about  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22165 - 7 threads about Images and Words
  7. 14 threads about  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1623 - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1623 -  
  8. 35 threads about Petrucci
  9. 53 threads about Portnoy
  10. 98 threads about La Brie or LaBrie
  11. 9 threads about Myung
  12. 44 threads about Rudess
  13. 12 threads about Kevin Moore
This means 581 Dream Theater related threads in a very limited search, we must have more than 1,000 easily.

After this display of fanboyism, do people still protest?

Iván

-------------

Posted By: anoblesoul
Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:15

LOL

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:18

Hunt every DT thread?

Our search system only shows 100 threads and stops to search older ones, but I found:
  1. 100 Dream Theater threads....The system stops searching in June 2009, so there must be nearly 500 threads about Dream Theater alone if we count from 2004 until may 2009.
  2. 100 threads about DT
  6. 5 threads about  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22165 - - Black Clouds & Silver Linin gs
  7. 7 threads about Images and Words
  8. 14 threads about  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1623 - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1623 -  
  9. 35 threads about Petrucci
  10. 53 threads about Portnoy
  11. 98 threads about La Brie or LaBrie
  12. 9 threads about Myung
  13. 44 threads about Rudess
  14. 12 threads about Kevin Moore
This means 589 Dream Theater related threads in a very limited search, we must have more than 1,000 easily.

Iván

I love how the point you focus on is an exaggerated one. I also love how you don't acknowledge the fact that this is the case with many popular prog bands. For instance, there are 250 Genesis threads since February 2008. Does that equal fanboyism?

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:19

Hunt every DT thread?

2. 100 threads about DT
  6. 5 threads about  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=22165 - 7 threads about Images and Words
  7. 14 threads about  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1623 - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1623 -  
  8. 35 threads about Petrucci
  9. 53 threads about Portnoy
  10. 98 threads about La Brie or LaBrie
  11. 9 threads about Myung
  12. 44 threads about Rudess
  13. 12 threads about Kevin Moore
This means 589 Dream Theater related threads in a very limited search, we must have more than 1,000 easily.

Iván

hy·per·bo·le
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

Anyway, I fail to see what this 'evidence' shows me.. What I'm getting from it is that Dream Theater are a band that a lot of people want to talk about and discuss.

Where's the 'fanboyism'?

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:27

I love how the point you focus on is an exaggerated one. I also love how you don't acknowledge the fact that this is the case with many popular prog bands. For instance, there are 250 Genesis threads since February 2008. Does that equal fanboyism?

Genesis is by far the most popular band here, 2 of their albums are in the top 5 and 6 out 0f 7 Prog albums are in the top 100. and been in the market for 41 years..And they have 259 threads since February 2008

Dream Theater is probably the most unpopular Prog band, not remotely as legendary as Genesis, their best positioned album is in N° 35 (Genesis has N° 1 and N° 5)...But still have 581 threads since June 2009, in other words, more than twice threads in 50% of the time.

LOL

Numbers don't lie.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:27
Honestly, Magma die-hards become butthurt much more easily than DT fans do.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:35

Genesis is by far the most popular band here, 2 of their albums are in the top 5 and 6 out 0f 7 Prog albums are in the top 100. and been in the market for 41 years..And they have 259 threads since February 2008

Dream Theater is probably the most unpopular Prog band, not remotely as legendary as Genesis, their best positioned album is in N° 35 (Genesis has N° 1 and N° 5)...But still have 581 threads since June 2009, in other words, more than twice threads in 50% of the time.

LOL

Numbers don't lie.

Iván

There are several things wrong with this post:

1. Their 'status' is completely your opinion
2. DT are at no 35 in the best Prog albums of all time, and your trying to argue that they're 'rubbish'
3. Where exactly is Magma on that list?
3. We never said that Genesis were worse than Dream Theater

Engage brain before speaking my friend

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:38
No Anthony, phrases like

1.- Man, this is even pissing me off, and I'm the one who started the poll. LOL I started this poll just to see the massive avant-snobbery of the people here, and oh my god is it working

2.- I knew that Magma would win this, because I know the people who regularly post on these forums. I don't mind them winning, because the music that they make is incredible. The problem that I have with DT haters is that they for some reason take pride in the fact that they don't like the band, which is the very definition of snobbery. 

3.- Not as much I can say for Magma fans who apparently value long, female-repellent beards over a good tune.

4.- It does, however make me laugh how all the 'die hard' prog fans love Zeuhl. If it didn't exist, some other hocus pocus genre would be dredged up from the depths just so that they could have something to listen to while sneering down their noses at the 'unwashed masses' who listen to the likes of Dream Theater - 'euugh'.

5.- I must say I have steered clear of Zeuhl for as long as I could, and apparently for good reason. It sounds just as pretentious, discordant and up its own a** as I suspected

6.- they decided to exclude them from their beloved genre and hunt down every DT forum topic just to spew abuse at the band that dared to connect prog with (i hesitate to use this word on PA in case several fat, sweaty middle aged men hunt me down) ... m-a-i-n-s-t-r-e-a-m...

Are provoking...You wanted a trolling thread and because nobody fell in the game, you started to provoke people.

You get what you ask for

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:42

No Anthony, phrases like

1.- Man, this is even pissing me off, and I'm the one who started the poll. LOL I started this poll just to see the massive avant-snobbery of the people here, and oh my god is it working

2.- I knew that Magma would win this, because I know the people who regularly post on these forums. I don't mind them winning, because the music that they make is incredible. The problem that I have with DT haters is that they for some reason take pride in the fact that they don't like the band, which is the very definition of snobbery. 

3.- Not as much I can say for Magma fans who apparently value long, female-repellent beards over a good tune.

4.- It does, however make me laugh how all the 'die hard' prog fans love Zeuhl. If it didn't exist, some other hocus pocus genre would be dredged up from the depths just so that they could have something to listen to while sneering down their noses at the 'unwashed masses' who listen to the likes of Dream Theater - 'euugh'.

5.- I must say I have steered clear of Zeuhl for as long as I could, and apparently for good reason. It sounds just as pretentious, discordant and up its own a** as I suspected

6.- they decided to exclude them from their beloved genre and hunt down every DT forum topic just to spew abuse at the band that dared to connect prog with (i hesitate to use this word on PA in case several fat, sweaty middle aged men hunt me down) ... m-a-i-n-s-t-r-e-a-m...

Are provoking...You wanted a trolling thread and because nobody fell in the game, you started to provoke people.

You get what you ask for

Iván

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk