Print Page | Close Window

Patrick Rondat

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Interviews
Forum Description: Original interviews with Prog artists (which are exclusive to Prog Archives)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74948
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 12:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Patrick Rondat
Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Subject: Patrick Rondat
Date Posted: January 11 2011 at 14:26

Patrick Rondat is a French guitarist with a pretty big CV and discography. He has worked with some of the greats in the business. I caught up with him for his story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to start with, please tell us more about your background and why you took up music. Why did you branch out on your own as a solo artist ?
It started a long time ago. I am not from a family of musicians. I went to a music store and somebody asked to listen to the 1st Montrose album. I was really impressed and decided to play guitar. I was 17. Like many others I learned mostly by myself and I played in different local bands

Then back in 1985 I recorded my very first album in Germany with a band and right after that I worked on my first instrumental demo.

Please tell us more about your first album Just For Fun from 1989.

Most of the tunes were on that demo. I didn't really expect to be a solo artist or get a deal in France with instrumental rock music but I did !! So that's how it first started, on a compilation with many other French bands and few months later I starting recording Just For Fun.
It's definitely not a mature album and there are many things I won't record or play now like I did then. I feel it's like a picture of me at school when I was young.

Please tell us more about your second album Rape of the Earth from 1991.
That album was the real start I could say. Some elements of what my music is about were there, even if they were already there in Just For Fun too. A few important things appear like odd time signatures. It was also licenced by Music For Nations in Europe. I had the chance to do a live session for BBC 1 Radio  and open at Monsters Of Rock in 1991 at the time.

Please tell us more about your third album Amphibia from 1996.
The progressive elements were even more present on that album. Jean-Michel Jarre was the producer and Tommy Aldridge played drums. Patrice Guers joined the band in 1994 right before I started working on the song writing. We still play together and of course he is now also the base player of Rhapsody of Fire.
The prog side was even more accurate on that album; a 28 minute song in 6 parts was the main piece and the title track's rythm guitars were heavier too

Please tell us more about your fourth album On the Edge from 1999.  

Again Tommy was there. Jean-Michel helped again too. I had a few guests like two incredible jazz players, Didier Lockwood on violin and Michel Petruccini on pîano.
It's almost impossible for me to compare my albums and talk about them. I try to make something different every time but without losing my own style which is not so easy.

Please tell us more about your fifth album An Ephemeral World from 2004.
It was definitely more progressive. Amphibia was more metal, this is probably my favourite one to date. Dirk Bruinenberg (Elegy) became my drummer. That album is very close to what I really want to do musically speaking.

Please tell us more about the Patrick Rondat - Herve N'Kaoua album from 2008
That's a completely different project. The idea was, instead of being neo-classical I tried to be classical. Not with an orchestra or something like that, just a duet with a classical concerto player and myself.
With Hervé we worked mainly on sonatas for piano and violin from Beethoven, Fauré, etc.
It was recorded live and we did a few shows with no PA, just the piano and two little guitar amps. It was a great experience, I loved it even if it was not that succesful!!!

Please also tell us more about your live album Amphibia Tour from 1997
Not so much to tell about that one, just a "real" live recording from that period. I should have called it "Far From Perfection" !!
How is your writing and creative processes ?  

Slow !! that's probably the best way to describe it. It takes forever for me to write a song. Of course there is not so much improvisation in my music and I compose every part for every instrument so it takes a while to get somewhere. As I told you before. I want to make different albums so the problem is not to compose a song but to compose something I really want to have on an album. I always try to have an overview picture of the album, a kind of concept/sound/atmosphere,  not just putting 8 songs together.

For those of the readers who are not familiar with your music: How would you describe your music and how would you describe your guitar style ?
That's a difficult one. My music is, let's say progressive metal music with neo-classical atmospheric music and my playing is the result of many influences from many guitar players: Al di Meola, Richie Blackmore, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore and Eddie Van Halen. Of course I love all the other ones like Malmsteen, Vaî, Satriani who invited me for a G3 tour in '98. He is a great player and a very nice person ... great memories and I do hope that finally I found my own style.
Besides of your own solo albums, which other projects have you been involved in ?

I recorded two albums with the Dutch band Elegy,  two with Consortium Project and one with Jean-Michel Jarre "Chronologie".

What is your plans for this year and beyond ?
I am working on a new album and I have a few shows including one in Tunisia in March and a special show with Jon Lord of Deep Purple and an symphonic orchesra. It's a dream come true for me, as a Purple fan.
To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?  

Thanks for your support and I hope to see you all in the near future.

Thank you to Patrick Rondat for this interview

His PA profile is http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1238" rel="nofollow - and his homepage is http://www.rondat.com" rel="nofollow -

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk