Print Page | Close Window

Pagan's Mind vs Symphony X

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87911
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 16:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pagan's Mind vs Symphony X
Posted By: The Mystical
Subject: Pagan's Mind vs Symphony X
Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 05:55
What do you guys think?

I am personally more of a fan of "Pagan's Mind", but as they bear so many similarities, I would like to see who you prefer.

No hate please guys! Keep responses friendly!

Sax man

Replies:
Posted By: dtguitarfan
Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 05:56
I love PM, but they broke my heart with the last album, and Symphony X has more good stuff total.

-------------
http://tinyurl.com/cy43zzh" rel="nofollow - My 2012 List

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 05:58
True, I actually love their new album! Iconoclast is great though.

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 06:36
I felt like PM weren't even playing Prog Metal any more with their latest. Too much 4/4 time and verse/chorus structure.

-------------

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 19:06
Love 'em both but Symphony X is the bees knees.

Something about Nils voice grates on me after awhile. He's got a great voice, don't get me wrong, but after listening to a whole Pagan's Mind album (or the Eidolon album he did) I'm ready to hear someone else sing for awhile.

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 21:08
Symphony X every time.

PM is good, but they're on a totally different level than SX.

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: CCVP
Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 00:57
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Symphony X every time.

I hope you mean that they are in a much lower level than SX. LOL

-------------

Posted By: tigka_progka
Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 01:28
Symphony Xalthough i don't like their latest  stuff.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 07:03
Symphony X are so much better than PM it's not even funny.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 10:49
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Symphony X are so much better than PM it's not even funny.

-------------

Posted By: Andy Webb
Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 11:45
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Symphony X every time.

well duh LOL

-------------
http://ow.ly/8ymqg" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 11:47
I like both very much- but listen to Symphony X more- so they get my vote. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2012 at 12:56

Symphony X every time.

well duh LOL

I can't read your mind, k?

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 17:44
Wow, I see you all passionately prefer Symphony X...how come? To me (just my opinion) they seem not very original. I think I prefer PM because they are more surreal and diverse.

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 19:18
Pagan's Mind are a pretty bog standard DT clone (and have even stole whole parts of Dream Theater songs for tracks on Celestial Entrance, I was not impressed when I first heard Back to the Magic of Childhood Pt2 (I think its that song, havent listened in several years now) and found it to be a rip off of Learning to Live)with nothing special about them bands like Suspyre and Haken do the same thing with far more creativity and quality.

Blending Neo-Classical Power Metal and prog was a pretty original thing back in the early-mid 90's and, granted SX havent progressed much, if at all, in the near 20 years since but I find their music very enjoyable still with each album. One of the very few vanilla prog metal bands that I still listen to on even a semi regular basis.  

-------------

Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 21:43

Pagan's Mind are a pretty bog standard DT clone (and have even stole whole parts of Dream Theater songs for tracks on Celestial Entrance, I was not impressed when I first heard Back to the Magic of Childhood Pt2 (I think its that song, havent listened in several years now) and found it to be a rip off of Learning to Live)with nothing special about them bands like Suspyre and Haken do the same thing with far more creativity and quality.

Blending Neo-Classical Power Metal and prog was a pretty original thing back in the early-mid 90's and, granted SX havent progressed much, if at all, in the near 20 years since but I find their music very enjoyable still with each album. One of the very few vanilla prog metal bands that I still listen to on even a semi regular basis.  

I disagree with you on this last paragraph, bro. They changed their sound since the 90's, but they  stagnated after V - Mythology Suite.

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 29 2012 at 21:57
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

Wow, I see you all passionately prefer Symphony X...how come? To me (just my opinion) they seem not very original. I think I prefer PM because they are more surreal and diverse.

Honestly, I don't listen that diversity (much less originality), they sound extremely close and derivative of Dream Theater IMO.

On the other hand, Symphony X is pretty much one of a kind.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 05:41

I disagree with you on this last paragraph, bro. They changed their sound since the 90's, but they  stagnated after V - Mythology Suite.

Well, they definitely changed a bit from The Odyssey onwards, but I'm never sure by how much or in what way, other than getting heavier. I know plenty of people say they're less prog but to be honest I dont hear much less from Paradise Lost or Iconoclast compared to Divine Wings... and Twilight in Olympus.

-------------

Posted By: JS19
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 05:44

Well, they definitely changed a bit from The Odyssey onwards, but I'm never sure by how much or in what way, other than getting heavier. I know plenty of people say they're less prog but to be honest I dont hear much less from Paradise Lost or Iconoclast compared to Divine Wings... and Twilight in Olympus.

Well all I know is I dislike pre-Odyssey albums and love post-Odyssey albums so there must be some fairly large difference...

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:32

Stagnated?  Their last two albums are more metal, and more widely appealing to fans of other sub-genres of metal, than any other of their albums.  I, personally, prefer The Odyssey to anything else they've done, but I can recognize the development of their style in the last two albums and appreciate it for what it is as well.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:38
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Stagnated?  Their last two albums are more metal, and more widely appealing to fans of other sub-genres of metal, than any other of their albums.  I, personally, prefer The Odyssey to anything else they've done, but I can recognize the development of their style in the last two albums and appreciate it for what it is as well.

But they have not brought anything new to the table except being heavier. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:54

That depends on your viewpoint.

-------------

Posted By: jampa17
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:24

That depends on your viewpoint.

Exactly. They do sound a lot different, away from proggy but wider in subgenres of metal. 

-------------
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: June 30 2012 at 23:39
If i had to take one album between the two it would be Celestial Entrance but overall Symphony X would easily be my choice.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: September 28 2012 at 18:11
Yeah, after listening to "Iconoclast", I would have to say that Symphony x's later stuff is incredible. I do love Pagan's Mind's new album.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: Chozal
Date Posted: September 28 2012 at 19:06
Never understood why so many people got excited about Iconoclast ... I loved Paradise Lost, and Iconoclast sounded like Paradise Lost - only less diverse. Too many moments when I went "hang on I know this riff ..." to interest me. Plus the exact same production as the previous album.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Infinite-Progability-Drive/141225469388975" rel="nofollow - The Infinite Progability Drive , feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:06

^. Agreed! ICONOCLAST is badass. I love it. When i feel like a really good tech metal/heavy metal album I through that double discer on! Great stuff indeed. Saw them live last year. They opened for ICED EARTH.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:07
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^. Agreed! ICONOCLAST is badass. I love it. When i feel like a really good tech metal/heavy metal album I through that double discer on! Great stuff indeed. Saw them live last year. They opened for ICED EARTH.

Woops! Forgot the question. Yes. SYMPHONY X over PAGAN any day for me. 😜

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: October 04 2012 at 13:23
Symphony X for me. Far superior IMO.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: October 05 2012 at 22:27
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

Never understood why so many people got excited about Iconoclast ... I loved Paradise Lost, and Iconoclast sounded like Paradise Lost - only less diverse. Too many moments when I went "hang on I know this riff ..." to interest me. Plus the exact same production as the previous album.

Agreed.  After four years (2007 to 2011), you would think they would come out with something taking it to another level - but alas, no...

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: October 06 2012 at 08:24
Iconoclast, taken by itself without context, is a very good album.

But yes, it does sound pretty much like Paradise Lost 2.0, without some of the diversity PL had.

Posted By: Prog Snob
Date Posted: October 06 2012 at 09:02
Whoever said Celestial Entrance takes some parts from DT is correct. I also noticed a couple of Fates Warning parts in there. However, the album as a whole is pretty good.

This is a tough call. I don't like everything Symphony X has done. I don't like everything PM has done either.

In the end however I would probably choose Symphony X. Through The Looking Glass is one my favorite songs ever. (Though it does bear some resemblances to Under A Glass Moon. Anyone else pick this up?)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk