Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91218
Printed Date: June 05 2024 at 04:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 3rd Album by 3 Prog Giants
Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Subject: 3rd Album by 3 Prog Giants
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 14:15
These three Prog Rock giants all made their 3rd album around late 70 or 71, which do you prefer. For me it's not easy to against The Yes Album at least against Nursery Cryme. Lizard is my least favorite of these three

why?
Cirkus-***** 5 Stars Great Song
Indoor Games** Off beat guitars and instruments are not remotely interesting in my opinion
Happy Family** sound the same as Indoor Games 
Lady Of The Dancing Water***** another great song
Lizard*** fails as an epic  carries on without going anywhere in my opinion

Everyone happy now???????

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Replies:
Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 14:38
1. Lizard
2. Nursery Cryme
3. The Yes Album

-------------

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 14:46
1. Lizard, five stars
2. The Yes Album, three and a half, maybe even four stars
3. Nursery Cryme, two stars

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: SpectralHorizons
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 15:22
Number One goes to Lizard. Both Cirkus and the title track are pure gems of prog.

Number Two goes to Nursery Cryme. This might be a little bias on my part because I've heard The Musical Box and Fountain of Salmacis one too many times.

Number Three is The Yes Album. While I enjoy it very much, it is not up to the level of Nursery Cryme or Lizard (or even other albums by them like Fragile or Relayer.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 15:29
The yes album is a classic. Lizard is pretty cool. Nursery is mediocre

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 15:58
god, progmetaller, I truly hate your opinions on KC :P

The Yes Album for me here, I dig the other two but their not on the same tier for me, although Lizard comes close. But Yes Album is my favorite Yes record.

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:04
Only one of them is the YES ALBUM

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:06
Yes Album
Lizard
Nursery

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:07
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

god, progmetaller, I truly hate your opinions on KC :PThe Yes Album for me here, I dig the other two but their not on the same tier for me, although Lizard comes close. But Yes Album is my favorite Yes record.

I said lizard is pretty cool

Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:13
? i was referring to the TS, progmetaller

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:17
Nursery Cryme 5*
The Yes Album 4.5*
Lizard 2*

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:18
1. Nursery Cryme
2. The Yes Album
3. Lizard

Posted By: lubito
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:29
Lizard
Nursery Cryme
The Yes Album

Posted By: Eria Tarka
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 16:52
1. Nursery Cryme
2. Lizard
3. The Yes Album

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 17:13
Lizard

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 17:57
Just voted, in another poll, Lizard and will do it again, right now!

Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 18:11

The Yes Album for me here, I dig the other two but their not on the same tier for me, although Lizard comes close. But Yes Album is my favorite Yes record.

can i ask why????

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 18:23
1.Lizard
2.Nursery Cryme
3.The Yes Album

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 18:28
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

can i ask why????
I don't think Mr. Sumdeus chose the right words. I think what he meant was that he hates your guts. And nobody around here likes anybody else's guts, especially when it comes down to arrogance and mockery of somebody else's favorite band/artist. Stern Smile Plus, I don't understand the purpose of your condescending quote.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 19:49
Neither is among my favourite albums from each band, actually they all have many usually loved songs that I rather dislike, and at least one song that I really love. The only song I really like from "The Yes Album" is "Starship Trooper", the rest are just not my cup of tea (including "Yours is no disgrace" and "All Good People"). On Nursery Crime, I really like "Musical Box", but rather dislike the onter 2 flag songs ("Giant Hogweed" and "Fountain of Salmacies"); however, I rather like most of the short songs from this album (except for "Harold the Barrel", or however it is called). From Lizard, I only like half of the title track ("Prince Ruppert Awakes" and "Bolero"... and "Lady of the Dancing Water" to a lesser degree), but don't like "Cirkus" so much, which is the other suposedly strong song on the album. So, in the end, I guess I'll just give the edge to "Nursery Crime" because of the several shorter songs it has that I also like (since choosing among the "bigger" songs that I do like would be rather difficult for me).

Posted By: skorziks
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 19:52
I chose The Yes Album because it was THE first prog rock album I ever heard. Back 30 years ago a friend thought I would like prog so he lent me his copy of The Yes Album and the rest is history. It would be difficult for me to vote against the album that awakened me to prog.

-------------
The ice cream lady wet her drawers to see you in the passion play.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 20:23
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Yes Album
Lizard
Nursery
Same although Lizard may over-take the Yes Album soon.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 20:44
Lizzie is great
The other two also appeared in polls :)

Posted By: Earendil
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 20:51
I've always loved The Yes Album.  I personally like it second behind CTTE from Yes' discography.

Then Nursery Cryme then Lizard.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 22:14
Lizard (the epic) is the best song out of these albums, but overall album against album I'll go with TYA, It is more consistent. I always thought Indoor Games and Happy Family brings Lizard down a bit, but also unlike TYA no other album sounds like Lizard. So Lizard is much more special but TYA is better.
Nursery Cryme has two amazing songs, the rest are OK and sometimes boring.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: December 27 2012 at 23:06
The Yes Album by a mile.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: pfloyd
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 00:35
nursery crimes just barely beats out lizard for me. fountain is possibly my favorite song ever. 

i don't really like yes album.... 

-------------
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 00:41
Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember...

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 02:55
Nursery Cryme

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 03:44
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

can i ask why????
I don't think Mr. Sumdeus chose the right words. I think what he meant was that he hates your guts. And nobody around here likes anybody else's guts, especially when it comes down to arrogance and mockery of somebody else's favorite band/artist. Stern Smile Plus, I don't understand the purpose of your condescending quote.

If you (or anyone else) can't put up with honest opinions which are critical of your favourite band, I respectfully suggest that you don't visit the site. No band has a monopoly on admiration. I also do not like King Crimson's music at all and will say so whenever the issue arises if I feel it to be appropriate. Noone on here has the right to censor the views of others. I've recently seen reviews of some Steve Hackett albums (and others) with which I have disagreed vehemently, but you cannot pick and choose the taste of those who post. Tastes differ; live with it.

What IS unacceptable is to descend into personal abuse of someone over their musical taste; anyone who lowers themselves to that level has no place here.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Terra Australis
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 04:29
Nursery Cryme, but I do like Lizard!

-------------
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://allomerus.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 04:57

nah I truly meant his opinions, just something about this part of the OP made me lol

"Cirkus-***** 5 Stars Great Song
Indoor Games(feat, Stewie Griffin)** Off beat guitars and instruments are lame
Lizard*** fails as an epic"

I dunno, just find it really comical to imagine someone writing off something like Indoor Games as "off beat instruments are lame" or Lizard as simply "fails as an epic", whatever that mean. it reminds me of those reviews you find every once in a while where you just feel like the person listening was just searching for any possible reason to dislike something, like a doom metal review that starts with "i never 'got' doom metal or why they play slow"

@Hercules I don't think Dayvenkirq is upset that someone doesn't like KC, pretty sure his issue is with progmetaller's condescending attitude

-------------

Posted By: yanch
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 06:13
Nursery Cryme just a bit ahead of The Yes Album.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 08:29
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

I've always loved The Yes Album.  I personally like it second behind CTTE from Yes' discography.

I agree on both parts.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 09:03
Long live the mighty Lizard, but I also like Nursery Cryme very much and the Yes album is the only album I listen to from that band.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 09:21
Three gems!

In order of preference:

Nursery Cryme
Lizard
The Yes album

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: HarbouringTheSoul
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 11:24
Tough choice between Nursery Cryme and The Yes Album, both of which are stellar albums that are among the respective band's best. Both are of consistently high quality, yet with a few obvious highlights, and both show a band in the process of forming their sound. I've been in a Yes mood lately, so I'll give the edge to TYA. As for Lizard, I never liked it, and although my stance has softened on it (I enjoy "Cirkus" and "Lady of the Dancing Water"), I fear that will never change.

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:21

nah I truly meant his opinions, just something about this part of the OP made me lol

"Cirkus-***** 5 Stars Great Song
Indoor Games(feat, Stewie Griffin)** Off beat guitars and instruments are lame
Lizard*** fails as an epic"

I dunno, just find it really comical to imagine someone writing off something like Indoor Games as "off beat instruments are lame" or Lizard as simply "fails as an epic", whatever that mean. it reminds me of those reviews you find every once in a while where you just feel like the person listening was just searching for any possible reason to dislike something, like a doom metal review that starts with "i never 'got' doom metal or why they play slow"

@Hercules I don't think Dayvenkirq is upset that someone doesn't like KC, pretty sure his issue is with progmetaller's condescending attitude

But that's how I hear the music and I'm not gonna hold it back. I'm gonna lett loose the criticism no matter who the artist isStern Smile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:36
^ Yeah, but you have to have to have to have to have to have to hold some criticism in check. Some things are better left unsaid. You don't see me dancin'-n'-prancin' 'round, going "Rush blows four characters", do you?

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:43

^ Yeah, but you have to have to have to have to have to have to hold some criticism in check. Some things are better left unsaid. You don't see me dancin'-n'-prancin' 'round, going "Rush blows four characters", do you?

you can say whatever you want about any artist. Plus, My opinions should be of no importance to you

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:43
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

can i ask why????

If you (or anyone else) can't put up with honest opinions which are critical of your favourite band, I respectfully suggest that you don't visit the site. No band has a monopoly on admiration. I also do not like King Crimson's music at all and will say so whenever the issue arises if I feel it to be appropriate. Noone on here has the right to censor the views of others. I've recently seen reviews of some Steve Hackett albums (and others) with which I have disagreed vehemently, but you cannot pick and choose the taste of those who post. Tastes differ; live with it.

What IS unacceptable is to descend into personal abuse of someone over their musical taste; anyone who lowers themselves to that level has no place here.
I understand that and I agree with everything you said, but none of it has to do with what I was meaning to deliver. It's one thing to say something. How you say it as another thing. What I was trying to deliver here is that it's never a good idea to rub attitude against other people. Again, some things are better left unsaid. There is absolutely no need to rub it in with a multitude of threads and force people to tolerate it.

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:55

you can say whatever you want about any artist. Plus, My opinions should be of no importance to you
Then don't make them look like they are, like you did in the OP. Everyone's opinion is of equal importance. No need to rub it in with several threads.

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:06

Then don't make them look like they are, like you did in the OP. Everyone's opinion is of equal importance. No need to rub it in with several threads.

I'm not looking like I am Stern Smile And my opinion should be of no importance, who cares what I have to say. If the majority of people like a certain band then they like a band

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:45
^ You are not looking like you are ... what?

Anyway, I've made my point clear about rubbing your opinion in our faces. My whole idea was that it just wasn't necessary to start three-four threads with that. This is a people's forum. Yes, you don't like KC and Fripp; we get it. I don't like In the Wake of Poseidon, but I don't go about the forum, shouting it in every thread. 

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 15:41
Welcome to the Dayvenkirq-PM2112 Discussion Thread. 

You may look, but please do not touch. Disturbing the animals while they compete could be disastrous and is strongly discouraged. This process is natural but the length and extent of it cannot be predetermined. 

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 16:51

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 16:57
I can imagine you falling to the ground in unbearable pain.
It was just that hilarious, wasn't it?

-------------

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 17:13
^ No, that was actually my Animal Planet impression.

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: December 29 2012 at 06:18
The Yes album - by a mile.

Don't like King Crimson and Nursery Cryme is far too patchy. I think Yes hit their stride with this one - Genesis wouldn't until Foxtrot (IMHO)

Posted By: QuestionableScum
Date Posted: December 29 2012 at 11:50
Lizard with the Yes Album as a close second.

Nursery Cryme is very uneven, and even though I am not a huge fan of Yes, the Yes album is quite solid, but not as awesome as Lizard.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 29 2012 at 15:56
The Yes album, Nursery Cryme, (some great songs but suffers from really bad production) and 
Lizard--a KC snoozefestLOL

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: December 29 2012 at 19:23

I don't think Mr. Sumdeus chose the right words. I think what he meant was that he hates your guts. And nobody
around here likes anybody else's guts, especially when it comes down to
arrogance and mockery of somebody else's favorite band/artist. Stern Smile Plus, I don't understand the purpose of your condescending quote.
nah I truly meant his opinions, just something about this part of the OP made me lol"Cirkus-***** 5 Stars Great SongIndoor Games(feat, Stewie Griffin)** Off beat guitars and instruments are lameHappy Family** sound the same as Indoor GamesLady Of The Dancing Water***** another great songLizard*** fails as an epic"I
dunno, just find it really comical to imagine someone writing off
something like Indoor Games as "off beat instruments are lame" or Lizard
as simply "fails as an epic", whatever that mean. it reminds me of those reviews you find every once in a while where you just feel like the person listening was just searching for any possible reason to dislike something, like a doom metal review that starts with "i never 'got' doom metal or why they play slow"@Hercules I don't think Dayvenkirq is upset that someone doesn't like
KC, pretty sure his issue is with progmetaller's condescending attitude

But that's how I hear the music and I'm not gonna hold it back. I'm gonna lett loose the criticism no matter who the artist isStern Smile

As a matter of fact I quiet agree with the song "Lizard" failing as an epic. It doesn't quiet sound like a unified song to me, it rather sounds like 4 songs that follow the same toppic. Plus, I only like the first 2 parts, the last 2 are rather boring.

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: December 29 2012 at 20:53
A hard choice between The Yes Album and Nursey Cryme.  The Yes Album has 4 all tiime classic tracks and NC only 2. 

However, the other tracks on NC are mostly very good.

Also, the Yes Album tracks all have better versions on Yessongs with the result that I rarely listen to the studio album.

In the end I can't make up my mind so no vote.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: December 29 2012 at 22:39
The Yes Album, my favorite album of theirs.It does things for me the others don't.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 00:15
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't think Mr. Sumdeus chose the right words. I think what he meant was that he hates your guts. And nobody
around here likes anybody else's guts, especially when it comes down to
arrogance and mockery of somebody else's favorite band/artist. Stern Smile Plus, I don't understand the purpose of your condescending quote.
nah I truly meant his opinions, just something about this part of the OP made me lol"Cirkus-***** 5 Stars Great SongIndoor Games(feat, Stewie Griffin)** Off beat guitars and instruments are lameHappy Family** sound the same as Indoor GamesLady Of The Dancing Water***** another great songLizard*** fails as an epic"I
dunno, just find it really comical to imagine someone writing off
something like Indoor Games as "off beat instruments are lame" or Lizard
as simply "fails as an epic", whatever that mean. it reminds me of those reviews you find every once in a while where you just feel like the person listening was just searching for any possible reason to dislike something, like a doom metal review that starts with "i never 'got' doom metal or why they play slow"@Hercules I don't think Dayvenkirq is upset that someone doesn't like
KC, pretty sure his issue is with progmetaller's condescending attitude

As a matter of fact I quiet agree with the song "Lizard" failing as an epic. It doesn't quiet sound like a unified song to me, it rather sounds like 4 songs that follow the same toppic. Plus, I only like the first 2 parts, the last 2 are rather boring.

thank you for agreeing not many people have the balls to admit this, others will obviously get hurt by it Davyenkirq(cough!!)

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 00:59
^ That's not true. Everyone here has enough balls to admit what they like and what they don't like. Regardless of what most of the people here thinks I don't have a problem admiting that Supper's ready or The Lamb doesn't impress me too much. That's my opinion and you have yours, it's not math, no right or wrong. I hope you'll get that sometime.

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 01:20
I'm tempted to choose Lizard (also, stunned at how few voted for Lizard!!)

Genesis is my favorite band (but Nursery Cryme isn't among my favorites from the band), The Yes Album is one of my favorite Yes albums (every song is amazing--Starship Trooper is breathtaking), but Lizard, oh Lizard... Many are ripping on Indoor Games and Happy Family, but these are amazing compositions!! Super interesting, unique (how could you not love that quiet, weird break on Indoor Games at 2:18?!) .. Sure, the beat is a strange one, but KC itself is an acquired taste, is it not?

Lizard took me years to acquire the taste, but lately it's been my most played KC album. Gotta vote for that crazy Lizard! Beer

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 01:53

thank you for agreeing not many people have the balls to admit this, others will obviously get hurt by it Davyenkirq(cough!!)
I'm sorry, but a part of this sentence does not make sense. Get hurt by what? Why is the pronoun followed by a proper noun at the end of the sentence?

As for the cough, ... see a doctor.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 05:34

Oh yes, I'm sure Dayvenkirk disagrees with you only because he's too chicken to admit that you're right and not because... oh, I don't know... he actually likes "Lizard"? You obviously seem to think that what you say is "edgy" and "provocative" when it fact it's just rude and annoying. You're free to have your own opinion and voice it, but you can do it without pissing everybody off.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 07:10
Nursery Cryme gets my vote since it is my favorite Genesis album, although The Yes Album is excellent. Lizard is pretty good, especially Cirkus, but overall Gordon's voice just doesn't jibe with me.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 09:25
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

Oh yes, I'm sure Dayvenkirk disagrees with you only because he's too chicken to admit that you're right and not because... oh, I don't know... he actually likes "Lizard"? You obviously seem to think that what you say is "edgy" and "provocative" when it fact it's just rude and annoying. You're free to have your own opinion and voice it, but you can do it without pissing everybody off.
Well said, christ he's annoying.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 09:49
Is there something that Progmetaller edited because I don't find anything particularly offensive about KC on this thread.   I guess it's ok to say a song is "nothing great" or even "lame" if he really thinks so.  If you don't like his opinions and polls, avoid them.   It's not necessary to insinuate that he is being arrogant or blah blah, even if he really is. 

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:22

this doesn't come of as arrogant or rude to you?

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:32
And he's banging on in numerous threads about how we're all wrong to like KC.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:33
exactly, and as soon as anyone disagrees or points it out he just goes "lol u mad? just my opinion!"

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 15:36
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Is there something that Progmetaller edited because I don't find anything particularly offensive about KC on this thread.   I guess it's ok to say a song is "nothing great" or even "lame" if he really thinks so.  If you don't like his opinions and polls, avoid them.   It's not necessary to insinuate that he is being arrogant or blah blah, even if he really is. 

The things he said about King Crimson in this thread aren't offensive (although his comments in several other threads are). It's his comment regarding Dayvenkirq I took objection to.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 16:26

exactly, and as soon as anyone disagrees or points it out he just goes "lol u mad? just my opinion!"

really??? you guys have your voices(in this case your keyboards) to say whatever you guys wantWinkWink. I don't want to be anyone's enemy. I just wanna talk prog be it prog rock or prog metal. 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 16:31
He is a troll, and you guys are giving him quite the buffet.

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 16:36

I'm a troll, give me a break!!!!

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 18:40

this doesn't come of as arrogant or rude to you?

And it wasn't prompted at all by Davenkirq suggesting he is arrogant and rude earlier in the thread?   He didn't escalate it, he just did what he does.   There is no need to pick a confrontation and then call him all sorts of things.  If you don't like his views on KC, steer clear of his topics and he will eventually get bored of making these polls if there is not enough participation.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 18:50
that's a bit difficult when every other thread on the first page of any subforum is by him right now :P

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 18:52
That's only because he is new here.   He's not going to keep up this rate of creating new topics for very long.  Eventually, whether or not he admits it, he's going to get the message that nobody is interested in having his opinions on KC imposed on them.  

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 18:55
what confuses me is why you think we should just let him do it until he gets tired of it. this is a forum and a community, if he bugs enough people is it not better to try to tell him to stop or do something rather than just be like "whatever just don't go into his threads"? you don't solve problems by waiting and hoping they'll stop on their own

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 18:58
^ Unfortunately, I don't see any other reasonable solutions at this time. Asking him to stop won't do any good.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:01
are there no mods that can take action? I'm still relatively new to the forum so I don't know how you tend to deal with these things, but in the previous forums that I used to frequent obvious trolls would be dealt with swiftly and without much issue. seems like a simple matter of someone with power saying "hey, either stop or leave"

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:20

what confuses me is why you think we should just let him do it until he gets tired of it. this is a forum and a community, if he bugs enough people is it not better to try to tell him to stop or do something rather than just be like "whatever just don't go into his threads"? you don't solve problems by waiting and hoping they'll stop on their own

Because in the interest of fairness and objectivity, there simply isn't anything particularly wrong with what he is doing.   At the most he is expressing opinions that some people don't like.  Evidently, Hercules is not one of them, to name just one example.   I don't see how what progmetaller does even remotely warrants a muzzle.   Might as well leave it entirely to the mods to make new topics and not give the right to other members in that case.   Once again, if his opinions really irk you so much, then please steer clear of them.  It is not a crime to have an unpleasant opinion because what is pleasant or not is only determined by the group demographic in this case.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:22

are there no mods that can take action? I'm still relatively new to the forum so I don't know how you tend to deal with these things, but in the previous forums that I used to frequent obvious trolls would be dealt with swiftly and without much issue. seems like a simple matter of someone with power saying "hey, either stop or leave"

I beg to differ.  He is not a troll.  He is just being kind of stubborn, tiresome and close minded.  Those are irritating traits but nothing that merits a warning.   Look at the poll premise independently of his other polls - there is nothing illegitimate about it.  A simple question - which of these albums is your favourite?   Just respond to that and move on.   By the way, in this poll, Lizard is my least favourite album too.   Did I annoy you?

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:34
lol you seem to be missing something... the issue isn't that we don't agree with his opinions. I find it silly that you would even imply I want him to get a warning because he disagrees with me. It is the way in which he presents his opinions which irks me. There is a very condescending attitude and he seems to constantly be implying that subjective opinions are objectively better.

I feel like maybe you've missed a good amount of his posts if you think this is just about us not agreeing with him...

I'll use this example again

How is this not trolling? He is implying that of course one is superior to the other and people are only saying they prefer Lizard because they don't "have the balls to admit this", as if it is not a matter of what one prefers but a matter of everyone being scared to admit that progmetaller's opinion is superior to others'

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:34
This is why I've always been against mixing prog with metal---proof positive oil and water don't mixBig smile

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:41

lol you seem to be missing something... the issue isn't that we don't agree with his opinions. I find it silly that you would even imply I want him to get a warning because he disagrees with me. It is the way in which he presents his opinions which irks me. There is a very condescending attitude and he seems to constantly be implying that subjective opinions are objectively better.

I feel like maybe you've missed a good amount of his posts if you think this is just about us not agreeing with him...

I'll use this example again

How is this not trolling? He is implying that of course one is superior to the other and people are only saying they prefer Lizard because they don't "have the balls to admit this", as if it is not a matter of what one prefers but a matter of everyone being scared to admit that progmetaller's opinion is superior to others'

He is implying that this is a KC fanboy base where people are afraid of expressing unfavourable opinions about the band.  I have to say you are doing a swell job of convincing the board that that is indeed the case.   You cannot use his subsequent comments to defend your position here.  My point is nothing in the OP warranted him being called arrogant or condescending.  He called one of the songs on Lizard lame and the other nothing great and some such.   That is not very polished but it is certainly not condescending.   Once you react strongly to an opinion like that, you prompt him to say some stuff in return, as simple as that. 

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:52
this isn't just about KC though, this is about the way he presents himself. I could care less if someone doesn't dig KC, but what I do care about is if someone acts like they are inherently superior because they don't dig KC, or that the people who dig KC do so because they don't "have the balls", rather than because they just have a different opinion.

anyways you seem set on ignoring the real problem and insisting that this is a matter of "we don't like him because he doesn't like KC" so I'm gonna refrain from saying anything more about progmetaller and this whole business.

-------------

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 19:59

this isn't just about KC though, this is about the way he presents himself. I could care less if someone doesn't dig KC, but what I do care about is if someone acts like they are inherently superior because they don't dig KC, or that the people who dig KC do so because they don't "have the balls", rather than because they just have a different opinion.

It was not an unprovoked comment.  I will repeat that n number of times if I have to.   I haven't said it is acceptable for him to say that people don't have the balls to say they don't like KC (speaking of which you misquoted him above...he only said to the effect that such opinions would hurt fans of KC like Davenkirq) because it's too generalized.  But it was not his first comment on the thread and I cannot assume that he would have said so without getting provoked into a needless confrontation. 

There are people who write that DT are pretentious or showboats and such so why do we tell Geoff that he is overreacting and then condemn progmetaller by calling him arrogant and condescending for saying something similar (as in harsh) about a KC album?  

Do you or you don't accept that progmetaller had made no further comment on the thread at the point where Davenkirq said that?  If you do, then please explain how such a reaction is justifiable to you. 

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 20:01
I don't want him muzzled, I just find him irritating and annoying, I just thought I'd let him know, he has the right to express his opinion, so do we.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 20:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I don't want him muzzled, I just find him irritating and annoying, I just thought I'd let him know, he has the right to express his opinion, so do we.

Yeah....I also said he is tiresome and close minded so I have no problem with that.  LOL  But if we are going to call for warnings just because somebody is irritating, then that is not a very, ahem, progressive attitude to have.

Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 22:04

Been thinking about that myself, though I wasn't 100% sure of that.

Posted By: DisgruntledPorcupine
Date Posted: December 30 2012 at 22:07
Although Yes is my least preferred of the 3 groups, gonna have to go with The Yes Album here.

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 15:33

I'm no troll I'm simply giving my own opinions on these certain albums. I even say that some songs on Lizard are great. Is that trolling????

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 15:34

Yeah....I also said he is tiresome and close minded so I have no problem with that.  LOL  But if we are going to call for warnings just because somebody is irritating, then that is not a very, ahem, progressive attitude to have.

close minded???? am IShockedShocked

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 15:43

So let me get it straight is it the same thing to be close-minded and not like or prefer something???

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 15:55

The fact that he types

likes this!!!!!!???WinkSleepyShockedShockedShockedShocked
xDD!!! 

Is enough for me to ignore him.

-------------

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:12

The fact that he types

xDD!!! 

I type with the stupid little faces(they are there for a reason why not use them) to show how I feel, I'm shocked obviously that you guys called me a troll and that I'm close minded. Just because an artist doesn't appeal to me doesn't really give you the right to call me close minded

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:12

I'm no troll I'm simply giving my own opinions on these certain albums. I even say that some songs on Lizard are great. Is that trolling????
You are missing the point. Rubbing in your opinion with four threads and mocking another person that he smokes pot already in my opinion lol constitutes trolling lol.

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:14

The fact that he types
xDD!!! 

I type with the stupid little faces(they are there for a reason why not use them) to show how I feel, I'm shocked obviously that you guys called me a troll and that I'm close minded. Just because an artist doesn't appeal to me doesn't really give you the right to call me close minded
Calling KC an average band compared to Yes and Genesis - that's quite a giveaway.

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:16

You are missing the point. Rubbing in your opinion with four threads and mocking another person that he smokes pot already in my opinion lol constitutes trolling lol.

what are you talking about I never mocked anyone about smoking pot??? They can do whatever they feel like doing

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:17

^ Calling KC an average band compared to Yes and Genesis - that's quite a giveaway.

well it's my opinion and you should "get over it", you really are a fanboy

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:18
^ OK, I feel like this conversation is bound to be in a circle. Meeting adjourned.

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:19

what are you talking about I never mocked anyone about smoking pot??? They can do whatever they feel like doing

the smoking hash part was simply a way to interpret that I think he is losing his mind that's it

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:24
^ Then say that he is losing his mind. No need to insult pot smokers this way, even if you don't mean to.

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:26

^ Calling KC an average band compared to Yes and Genesis - that's quite a giveaway.

well it's my opinion and you should "get over it", you really are a fanboy
So is it your opinion that KC did not start the prog movement?

Date Posted: December 31 2012 at 16:29

^ Then say that he is losing his mind. No need to insult pot smokers this way, even if you don't mean to.

I'm not insulting any pot smokers, bet they don't even know that I'm talking about them

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk