URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9323
Printed Date: June 17 2024 at 19:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Issues / Rumours about Progarchives
Posted By: M@X
Subject: Issues / Rumours about Progarchives
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 16:59

PROGARCHIVES STATEMENT

I would like to give some details about 2 things that I was aware in the last few days.

1. Some are saying that Progarchives is closing
-> WE ARE NOT CLOSING and preparing a new version of the site

2. People complaining about proposals of new groups get no answer
-> WE ARE SORRY , see explication below

First , let's recap about WHO is progarchives.com:
(This post is not a complaint , we love our job with progarchives.com it is our project)

We are mainly 2 Operator :

• Rony (ProgLucky)
  • Me ( mailto:M@X - M@X )

In the last year we record a DRAMATIC increase in the terms of visitors/day (2000/day to 30 000/day) and members -> this has a big impact on our job regarding progarchives.com and imagine the number of emails and PMs we receive. Over 100 emails a day.

Our jobs in the past years was and his still:
(In time consuming order)

• New bands proposals email answerings
    In the past year we received over 500+ new bands suggestion and I am not kidding I kept all the emails

I developped a web form so that new artists, missing artists can be added without waiting for US http://www.progarchives.com/submitband.asp - http://www.progarchives.com/submitband.asp
  • New mp3 to add
    We have a new COLLABORATORS who will handle this in the future , JF COUSIN
  • Watching for new PROG REVIEWER , SPECIAL COLLABORATOR
    We are looking for help
  • Preparing the NEW and IMPROVED Progarchives.com v3.0 for 2006
    I handle this alone (programming and all)
    We need help

• Managing our external collaborators
    We need help
  • albums missing and errors in albums
    That is why we developped a tool so that you can ADD ALBUMS missing for your reviews and to complete the discography of bands ( We cannot check the new releases for all the 2000 bands we have )
  • Error about bands listings
    We need help
  • Thinking and programming new features to add to progarchives
    I (only) handle this
  • Handling technical issue with the Web Server, Database, etc...
    I (only) handle this
  • New biographies
    We need help
  • Reviews abuse, problems
    Thanks to EASY LIVIN , he is now handling this  VERY well
  • Forum abuse
    MAANI is the MAN and special thanks to others NEW admins (EL,UI)
  • Partnership
    MAANI helped us, but we receive  a lot of emails regarding partnerships...
  • Try to animate the forum
    We need help
  • Reviewing albums we received (We do not handling this, a shame and we receive a lot)
    We need help

I must also say that RONY and ME are working spare time here...
Our passion about music and prog is strong....

So SORRY if you experience some troubles communicating with US. We are trying to do our best to answer everyone but we need to priorise our replies.

What we are doing now to get us out of this HEAVY CHARGE , we want our collaborators to work closely with us....

I repeat this ain't a complaint, I hope this will help you better understand our situation.

Thanks for your collaboration

We appreciate it

After all it is your site , we do it for you and to make progressive music live longer ...

-------------
Prog On !

Replies:
Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 17:05

I think you're doing a great job!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 17:13

Time for a bit of back slapping here guys and gals.

Without mailto:M@X - M@X and Rony there would be no site. I find it truly astonishing what they have achieved with the site, and the amount of time and effort they dedicate to it (and thus to us).

They deserve our sincere thanks.

We can help them to help us in many ways, but I think the most important one is to provide constructive feedback, and avoid whinging and overt negativity.

Posted By: geezer
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 17:16
WOW!

I kinda knew almost all this but that list certainly helps to understand how heavy load you have.

I'm surprised that you are still so patient with us...

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 17:41

Great job all responsible that means mailto:M@X - M@X Ronnie and all other participants.

if you need my help, I will do what I can

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: jaugernaut
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 18:37
Huh, I just joined... I thought it would be a good place to get a review of my album... Guess not.  What, itll be about 2020 before they get around to it!  Dang that success!  Reminds me of the commerial where some guys take their website live, and it clicks on a fw sals inthe first few seconds, then starts to really click, and they're all dancing around like Whoohoo!, then it starts to just zing! and they all stop celebrating... and look at each other like...'Oh, crap!  - how are we going to fill all hese orders????!'  Its a very funny commercial!  - but a fitting thing for this situation.  Congratulations on your successes! 

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 21:39

progarchives is very fun guys and i don't want you to have more work than you can handle. imay even think about becoming a collaborator!

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 22:11

You guys rock. The website rocks. I appreciate your dedication.

Posted By: Fearless
Date Posted: July 29 2005 at 22:19

Great job guys , i will try to help one day when i know more about the music (bio's, reviews, etc.)  .........I am excited about the 'new version' of the site coming in '06

Keep up the good work.

-------------
If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!

Posted By: Gedhead
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 13:13
I thoroughly enjoy this site and recommend it all the time.  Hats off to you both.  Salute!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 13:20

Thanks for all the good work!

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 14:57

You guys are doing a great job and this is the best source for progressive music on the net.

Thank you and keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 15:56
This is the best website I've ever came to and ever will come to.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 16:48

mailto:M@X - M@X and Rony!

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 16:52

You guys do a great job. Thank you for making this THE place where i spend most of my time on-line (all the hours and days ). Seriously, this is a great site and you've done great.

Look foward to the new version of the site.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 17:56

Max, Rony: you THE MEN!

Really, I love you guys for having built and continuing to build this fantastic website. It is THE BIGGEST SOURCE of music for me and I am SO PROUD to be part of it as a collaborator!

THANK YOU!

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 18:00

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 18:03

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: July 30 2005 at 19:25
So really. When are you guyz closing up shop.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 11:54
Many, many thanks for providing such a great site...it's tremendous.

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 15:29

This is the best music (not only prog) resource on the web, no two words about it. The other ones I visit, although superb in their own right, simply don't have this scope. Carry on the excellent work,  x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: July 31 2005 at 21:30
Fantastic

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 07:16
You all have my 100% support - and I'm grateful/proud to be included as a collaborator.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 07:33

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 12:55
Excellent job, excellent site. If I can do anything to help, just drop me a line.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:12
I second all the above comments - my favourite site on the entire WWW. Keep up the good work.

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 15:30

Thanks for all the excellent work, guys - on the couple of occasions I've needed to email the site admin I've received an informative and helpful reply within a few days, which makes a pleasant change from the automated response you get from most commercial sites.

Keep on proggin' Max and Rony, most of us appreciate all that you do, and if there's any help I can give get in touch (I'm afraid I'm not much use with anything too technical though).

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: August 02 2005 at 23:01

Basically take everything above this post and transfer it as if coming out of my mouth. I give just as much thanks to this site as everyone else, it has helped me find amazing bands I never knew of before, as well as solidifying my thoughts on other classic bands.

Three cheers for the PA guys.

Yours truly,

Me.

Posted By: Shane Wallace
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 02:49
things are fine to me

-------------
To Seek the Sacred River Alph

Posted By: Concreteperv
Date Posted: August 03 2005 at 17:22

Keep up the good work.Clap

I have only just signed up and have already learned more about music I have been listening to for 25+ years.Smile

It takes a lot of hard work to maintain a resource like this and I appreciate your efforts.Clap

Let those who criticise start their own website and find out for themselves.Cry

Posted By: MANTICORE
Date Posted: August 04 2005 at 15:57

yes great job  my congratulations. but i send many mp3 no one uploaded.!

peace

-------------
http://imageshack.us">

The Beatles

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: August 04 2005 at 16:03
Since Max was very busy, I am now in charge of the mp3, MANTICORE. So try uploading them again, I will see what I can do!

Posted By: will
Date Posted: August 04 2005 at 17:50
YAY!  glad to see its going strong.

-------------
Long live progression.
Will

Posted By: popesta
Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 08:46

As far as I'm concerned Prog Archives is one of the key websites on the Internet. I hope that it continues forever!

p

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: September 21 2005 at 10:08
 I have discovered this website in Autumn 2003 and have loved it since, keep on Proggin guys!!

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: September 21 2005 at 10:32

Posted By: Grendelbox
Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 18:31

Great job guys!

You have my deepest respect for all the hard work on this site....

progarchives.com is MINDBLOWING !!! (masterpiece , 5 stars )

Keep on proggin' guys

Posted By: Friamannen
Date Posted: September 23 2005 at 20:46
It's a miracle you've achieved all this with so few people working. Since I discovered this website I've visited it at least three times a day. Great layout and appearance, and great content!

Unfortunately I'm not really skilled in computers and I'm also not as far into prog as some maniacs ( ;) ) here are. So I wouldn't be any help, but I'm glad others can carry the "burden" :)

Keep up the Amazing and idealistic work!

Date Posted: September 24 2005 at 04:52
Friamannen, computer skills and prog expertise are not prerequisites!Wink

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: September 24 2005 at 16:09
Keep up the excellent work

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: Friamannen
Date Posted: September 24 2005 at 19:33
Oh yeah? Then what are the prerequisites? :)

Date Posted: September 25 2005 at 11:59

There are not any!Big smile

Posted By: Ironing Mike
Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 07:16
Everyday I log on, check my mail then surf to Prog Archives - and more
often than not that's where I stay. PA is bottomless. You guys rule. Taa
muchly for all you do.

-------------
It's a rainy day, sunshine girl

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: September 30 2005 at 13:46

Many of you will be comforted to learn that Satan, the Prince of Darkness, has now installed central air conditioning in Hell!Smile

er....

Whoops! Sorry -- thought this section was "infernal news." Embarrassed

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: October 01 2005 at 05:29

Well my recent bout of wind has settled down nicely.

Sorry, I thought it was intestine news!Embarrassed

Posted By: Bionic Commando
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 10:02

Can I ask a question?

I was just wondering if it's possible to download MP3's onto my computer.  I only found out about this recently, but when I checked again I found its been replaced with flash.  Meaning we can listen, but can't actually D/L.

Any way around this?

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 10:10
I just want to add my thanks in with all the other comments....it's a great site and the best one there is devoted to Prog - bar none.

Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 14:41
Originally posted by Bionic Commando Bionic Commando wrote:

Can I ask a question?

I was just wondering if it's possible to download MP3's onto my computer.  I only found out about this recently, but when I checked again I found its been replaced with flash.  Meaning we can listen, but can't actually D/L.

Any way around this?

Bionic,

The MP3 download facility has been removed. Search for "MP3" threads for more info.

Posted By: Gatot
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 10:06

Due to recent workload I don't visit the site and forum quite sometime and find how GREAT JOB Rony and mailto:M@x - M@x have done for this site.

Thanks for your passion for prog music!!!!! Like Joren said: YOU ARE THE MEN!!!!Clap

PROG RULES!!!

Keep on proggin' ...!!!!

Uhmm ... I don't know how I could write a review again because recently I was so swamped with other things ... but I still listen to prog everyday- only that I don't review them. I keep listening to The Tangent, Little Atlas, Spock's Beard, as well as classic Rock like Bloodrock, Grand Funk Railroad ..

Cheers,

Gatot

Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 14:53

We're missing your reviews Gatot!

Good to hear from you.Big smile

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: October 23 2005 at 17:08

I am still horoured to write reviews for this amazing site, despite some critical (and not always tactical) remarks!

Posted By: Toccata
Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 07:54
Thank You guys a lot!!!

Posted By: arqwave
Date Posted: December 12 2005 at 12:37

wow, i cannot say anything but congratulations, this site is one of the best places to start and learn about music, really. ...

now, a question (very personal) do you guys actually charge money for this as a regular income, or is just for the love/fun of it?

a hug for the holidays, and congratulations again

peace

-------------
between darkness and light

Date Posted: December 12 2005 at 15:13

Arqwave,

There is a clear distinction between the owners of the site ( mailto:M@X - M@X and Proglucky), and the Admin (Tony R, Trotsky, Useful Idiot and myself plus formerly Maani).

We the admin team have no financial involvement in the site of any kind. The site owners look after all the financial aspects.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 13 2005 at 03:30
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Arqwave,

There is a clear distinction between the owners of the site ( mailto:M@X - M@X and Proglucky), and the Admin (Tony R, Trotsky, Useful Idiot and myself plus formerly Maani).

We the admin team have no financial involvement in the site of any kind. The site owners look after all the financial aspects.

However the site is looking for sugar daddies!!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_PROGARCHIVES.asp#about - ABOUT PROG ARCHIVES   |   http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_PROGARCHIVES.asp#contact - CONTACT PROG ARCHIVES   |   http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_PROGARCHIVES.asp#link - LINK TO PROG ARCHIVES

ABOUT PROG ARCHIVES

The Prog Archives Web site Project came out from a common dream of a small group of fanatic progressive rock music collectors who decided to develop a WEB SITE for the online progressive rock music community, with the goal of providing extensive Progressive Rock Music information, as well as interaction features for the prog surfers.

We have been collecting this DATA for quite some time, but we are far from finished. There are still plenty of old records to be remembered and added to the site, plus all the new creations that are being made. We not only welcome any feedback you may have about the site, but any help you can provide us.

We appreciate your support, and your feed back is very important to us, cause we are always looking forward to become... We have a small staff, and all of us have a primary job, so we work our asses off to get the whole thing up and running on our spare time.

Whether you are an artist, producer, recording engineer, record label or just a fan and don't see a record that you feel should be in this web page, please contact us. We welcome any chance to improve this site.

We welcome future collaborators.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE WEB SITE.

ProgLucky (Rony) and M@X

< =https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr method=post>

Donate to help Progarchives.com

< =image alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but04.gif" border=0 name=submit>

CONTACT PROG ARCHIVES

PROGARCHIVES.COM
11520, 2e Avenue
Ville de Saint-Georges
Québec, Canada
G5Y 1W6
Phone: 418-222-5515 x14

and if not interested/convinced, please warn me and i'll set up a Swiss bank account!!!

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Ounamahl
Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 12:28
Does anybody know why the free mp3's doesn't work in my schools computers. Flash Player 6 has been installed in those. Is it enough? They work fine on my home PC but it would be great to play some music while in school (when I don't have my mp3/cd-player with me).

-------------
This is an electrified fairytale

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 12:30
I mean the free sample of progarchives.

-------------

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 14:03

Originally posted by Ounamahl Ounamahl wrote:

Does anybody know why the free mp3's doesn't work in my schools computers. Flash Player 6 has been installed in those. Is it enough? They work fine on my home PC but it would be great to play some music while in school (when I don't have my mp3/cd-player with me).

The school IT Admin must have disabled the function so that audio (& probably video) cant be played unless from pre-approved sites.

Date Posted: March 24 2006 at 15:46
Hmm well I can watch all the crap from "www.big-boys.com" and other sites filled with stupid humor.
Youtube videos doesn't work as well, but it requires Flashplayer 8, and it cannot be installed.

-------------

Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 05:15
Ounamahl, Try creating a new thread in the "Report bugs here" section, and hopefully someone will be able to keep you right. It does sound like there is an inhibitor of some sort at your end though.

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: March 25 2006 at 11:17

BEST SITE!

although I did hear a rumor about the site going away from purple...........

Great work guys!

-------------

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: March 28 2006 at 21:53
This site is the best place in the universe.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 13:17

^ Along with all the porn sites!

Just kiddin'!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: oldebag
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 21:57
Max,  This is most likely the wrong place to ask you ,but.......I sent a donation($) and was hoping it made it's way to you and the achives safely.   This is really no big deal -Just the only way to express my and the ole man's appreciation for your hard work.   Just toss this epistle if necessary- " We" had a stroke 9 years ago..... however, with the joy of music, are keeping somewhat sane.  Thanks to all for this wonderful resource. !!!!!!!!!!!      from ,Thumbs Up " some neighbors to the south"

Posted By: M@X
Date Posted: May 11 2006 at 07:41
Thanks Oldebag for that ,
it is really appreciated Hug

It help us with the expensive server hosting fees !

Thanks

-------------
Prog On !

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: May 11 2006 at 07:55
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Thanks Oldebag for that ,
it is really appreciated Hug

It help us with the expensive server hosting fees !

Thanks

I'm curious ... how much traffic/month are we talking about?

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: zFrogs
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 16:42
ProgArchives is the best website on the net. No doubts. You guys are my heroes. Congratulations and keep the faith.

-------------
https://www.instagram.com/erifrog/

Posted By: titico
Date Posted: July 12 2006 at 21:41
Thank you all for the site...!! Starting by the admins and creators, this ir really what we all, prog lovers needed time ago to connect ourselves to music!!
I like this site a lot...I spend most of my time here reading posts and topics!
Hope that we can continue this way and changing opinions about progressiveClap

-------------
Take me As I AM!
From Venezuela or Italia? Both!

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: August 10 2006 at 09:06
PROGARCHIVES is the BEST INTERNET SITE!!!
And WILLNEVER DIE!!!
PROGARCHIVES IS THE BEST PLACE TO BE!!!

-------------

Posted By: Australian
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 03:13
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

BEST SITE!

Great work guys!

NOCry the site must remain Purple

THIS IS THE BEST SITE EVERClapClap

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 03:18
Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

BEST SITE!

Great work guys!

Purple as in Deep Purple? Of course I agree...LOL

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 11:00
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

BEST SITE!

Great work guys!

Purple as in Deep Purple? Of course I agree...LOL

Nope, as Purple Rain... isn´t it?LOL

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: Detric
Date Posted: August 29 2006 at 06:20
Everytime I log on to PA my computer asks me to install some anti virus program, it never used to do that, but when I enter your site now it totally f**ks up. Does anybody have the same problem as me?

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 29 2006 at 06:25
Originally posted by Detric Detric wrote:

Everytime I log on to PA my computer asks me to install some anti virus program, it never used to do that, but when I enter your site now it totally f**ks up. Does anybody have the same problem as me?

So do i

Can you report this to mailto:M@x - M@x and also post it in the report bugs section on the thread sudden discinnection?

love the Henry Cow avatar and the Maneige sigThumbs Up, BTW

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Detric
Date Posted: August 29 2006 at 11:17
Just posted it in the bugs section, and thank you! Smile