Print Page | Close Window

Jade Warrior Appreciation Thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99839
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 12:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jade Warrior Appreciation Thread
Posted By: HackettFan
Subject: Jade Warrior Appreciation Thread
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 21:14
This is about all things pertaining to Jade Warrior. As far as I can tell there isn't one of these yet, so let's start one. JW is one of my favorite Prog bands, and I like all eras of the band equally. My two favorite albums are Released (Glyn Havard era) and Floating World (Post-Havard era). What do others think?

Replies:
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 21:30
We've been waiting for Jon Field to put out a new Jade Warrior album for quite awhile. The official site says he's working on it, and it's supposed to be called Haiku. The official hasn't been updated since I start looking at it. Does anyone have any additional info on this? I hope there are no health issues.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 22:17
I have 10 of their albums but I still like the first 3 the best and prolly Autumn's Dream the most.
But I also like Floating World, Way of the Sun, and Now.
Do you have July...the early psych thing two of the members were part of?

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 23:16
I have the "Island Anthology".  Way of the Sun is my favorite, I think.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: September 27 2014 at 09:34
Last Autumn's Dream is my favorite. I especially love the "Winter's Tale"/"Snake" combo that starts the album. The debut album was my intro to them - bought the LP without knowing anything about them, because it had a proggy look. Loved that album too, but my next, "Kites", was a bit over my head. "Waves" was next, and I loved the jazzy bits on that one, with Winwood guesting on organ. Long story short, I have all the 70s albums except for "Released", which I will get someday, though I have an mp3 copy I made from a friend's LP. Though I had all four albums separately, I still got "Island Anthology" years after it went out of print, when I found it used. It's a nice package and probably collectable.

Recent stuff, I have "Eclipse", actually a much older recording unreleased intil the 90s. Haven't heard anything else. I like the band when I'm in the right mood, but I'm not a completist.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: September 27 2014 at 10:05
My Jade Warrior collection......

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Elements-The Island Anthology
Reflections-(import cd from South Korea)
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Date Posted: September 27 2014 at 18:09
Originally posted by dr Wu23 dr Wu23 wrote:

I have 10 of their albums but I still like the first 3 the best and prolly Autumn's Dream the most.

I knew of July from the band history on the website, but I didn't know there was an actual recording produced. I have to look into that!
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Fabulous collection. I never heard of Dogstar Poets-Off Planet. Would you believe I paid for Breathing the Storm just before I went to bed one night several months ago, then forgot to download it! I have to correct that.

Date Posted: September 27 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Way of the Sun is nice. Very beautiful. I like the Island albums. They take you to other realms so to speak. The character is very different from what came before. In case you haven't looked into the earlier albums, I really do recommend them as well. They're more classic grooving band efforts.
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Last Autumn's Dream is my favorite. I especially love the "Winter's Tale"/"Snake" combo that starts the album. The debut album was my intro to them - bought the LP without knowing anything about them, because it had a proggy look. Loved that album too, but my next, "Kites", was a bit over my head. "Waves" was next, and I loved the jazzy bits on that one, with Winwood guesting on organ. Long story short, I have all the 70s albums except for "Released", which I will get someday, though I have an mp3 copy I made from a friend's LP. Though I had all four albums separately, I still got "Island Anthology" years after it went out of print, when I found it used. It's a nice package and probably collectable.

Winters Tale/Snake. Jade Warrior were really masters of dynamic contrast very much like Genesis.

Recent stuff, I have "Eclipse", actually a much older recording unreleased intil the 90s. Haven't heard anything else. I like the band when I'm in the right mood, but I'm not a completist.
Fifth Element is another posthumous release like Eclipse, but I think maybe I like Eclipse ever so slightly more. Fifth Element has Mountain of Fruit and Flowers, which is closely related to a similar named instrumental on Floating World. It's quite a revelation in how it bridges the gap between the old and new era.

Date Posted: September 28 2014 at 09:46
For awhile I've been enjoying Aquarius in Retrograde by Daniel Crommie with Glyn Havard & Friends. It has three Jade Warrior guys in it. Glyn Havard, David Duhig, and Allan Price. I just ordered the previous album, Between the Darkness and the Dawn. Hopefully it's just as good.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:22

have that one too, very enjoyable

Date Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:23
For all the Jade Warrior fans.....
Cool

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: September 28 2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

have that one too, very enjoyable

I don't have the anthology. I have each of the Island albums individually. I gravitated most to Floating World and then to Kites and Waves. It had been awhile since I listened to Way of the Sun, and couldn't remember it quite so vividly, so I gave it a very welcome listen again today. Very excellent. I'll recommend this to anyone. It's always amazing to me how Tony Duhig got these timbres out of distorted guitar that could sound more sublime and dreamy than gritty (aside from when he wanted it to be gritty, of course).

Date Posted: September 28 2014 at 19:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For all the Jade Warrior fans.....
Cool

Fascinating! Utterly cool! Thanks. It took a little while for the video to even come up on my phone, so I went to my laptop. This is a treasure. Kind of psychedelic in a Syd Barrett fashion. Kind of Beatles-like too. It's clear they were trying for a variety of timbres through electronic effects as permitted by the limited resources of the time. Lots of Tony Duhig's sensibility toward distortion. The guitar seems to have a volume swell a lot too. Something's frequently obscuring the attack on the guitar notes. Notably prior to John Field's flute playing.

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 08:19
There was a recording session which took place shortly after the release of Distant Echoes. The music was designed to be a theme revolving around the subject of a great native American chief. Anyway,...something along those lines..until band members stopped showing up for rehearsal. The tapes were maybe stored away..(I don't know?), but maybe some of the ideas for this lost material was re-arranged for NOW. Who knows? All I know is how curious I am about it! If this was another instrumental album that proceeded Distant Echoes...then we truly missed out on something special and worthwhile from Jade Warrior. Anyone have information about this?

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 09:53
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I knew of July from the band history on the website, but I didn't know there was an actual recording produced. I have to look into that!

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Fabulous collection. I never heard of Dogstar Poets-Off Planet. Would you believe I paid for Breathing the Storm just before I went to bed one night several months ago, then forgot to download it! I have to correct that.

Off-Planet is like listening to the missing Jade Warrior album. The early style ..but more modern. Gongs, chanting, ocean waves, and birds are heard throughout the pieces just like on any other Jade Warrior album. It has all the characteristics of their approach and the distinctive atmospheric..cosmic sound.

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:00

Jade Warrior
Released
Last Autumn's Dream
Eclipse
Fifth Element
Floating World
Waves
Kites
Way Of The Sun
Horizons
At Peace
Breathing The Storm
Distant Echoes
Dogstar Poets-Off Planet
Now

Off-Planet is like listening to the missing Jade Warrior album. The early style ..but more modern. Gongs, chanting, ocean waves, and birds are heard throughout the pieces just like on any other Jade Warrior album. It has all the characteristics of their approach and the distinctive atmospheric..cosmic sound.

That's all the recommendation I need. How would you rate Tony Duhig's guitar playing? He doesn't get mentioned on people's lists much.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 11:12
I used to work with someone who'd been in Jade Warrior. Not naming any names. ;-)

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I used to work with someone who'd been in Jade Warrior. Not naming any names. ;-)

Interesting

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:19
I thought Tony Duhig's guitar playing was a melodic, kind of laidback form of improvisation. On electric guitar he often played with a clean Jazz tone. He experimented with open tunings on acoustic which created an Asian music sound and luring vibe. He added a mystical style and raised the spirits in the music of Jade Warrior..Lol! Actually any musician that study's Asian music and even it's culture, will naturally create such a sound. Clearly it's the originality that Tony Duhig brought to the sound of their music. Horizens is a work of art! The entire album and especially "Long Wait At Mount Li." is a true work of art...and don't forget his very innovative yet bizzare guitar work on Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body.

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:24
On Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body, the flute, (played by Steve Jolliffe), is combined with sections of Tony Duhig's guitar playing ...and together...they both somehow create the beautiful sound crafted by Jon Field and Tony Duhig. There is spoken word in between some tracks, where Jolliffe is reading from a diary. The diary he wrote while traveling with Tangerine Dream and having out of the body experiences. 

Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 16:40

Well...why bring it up if you aren't naming names..?  Wink

BTW...what do you think of their music ,both old and new?

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: September 29 2014 at 21:33
My favorite is still Waves. One of the best titles by any artist to immerse oneself in, so it’s appropriately titled.

Those who prefer their Island period might also like Blue Star by Gurumander & Friends. It’s an album that I’ve praised on this forum before, and no, I had nothing to do with its making, I just like it. It’s readily available on Amazon.

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 01:08

I thought Tony Duhig's guitar playing was a melodic, kind of laidback form of improvisation.
Barazinbar!

On electric guitar he often played with a clean Jazz tone. He experimented with open tunings on acoustic which created an Asian music sound and luring vibe. He added a mystical style and raised the spirits in the music of Jade Warrior..Lol! Actually any musician that study's Asian music and even it's culture, will naturally create such a sound. Clearly it's the originality that Tony Duhig brought to the sound of their music. Horizens is a work of art! The entire album and especially "Long Wait At Mount Li." is a true work of art...and don't forget his very innovative yet bizzare guitar work on Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body.

Yeah, I usually play straight up electric, but I've been seeing what I can do with fingerpicking of late. I decided to try leaving some open strings in usual places, and found it remarkable how reminiscent it was of Tony Duhig. I didn't use his alternate tuning, though. I always thought Obedience, BTW, was a masterful use of layered droning distortion - who needs a mellotron when you can do that?

Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:00

I thought Tony Duhig's guitar playing was a melodic, kind of laidback form of improvisation.
Barazinbar!

On electric guitar he often played with a clean Jazz tone. He experimented with open tunings on acoustic which created an Asian music sound and luring vibe. He added a mystical style and raised the spirits in the music of Jade Warrior..Lol! Actually any musician that study's Asian music and even it's culture, will naturally create such a sound. Clearly it's the originality that Tony Duhig brought to the sound of their music. Horizens is a work of art! The entire album and especially "Long Wait At Mount Li." is a true work of art...and don't forget his very innovative yet bizzare guitar work on Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body.

Yeah, I usually play straight up electric, but I've been seeing what I can do with fingerpicking of late. I decided to try leaving some open strings in usual places, and found it remarkable how reminiscent it was of Tony Duhig. I didn't use his alternate tuning, though. I always thought Obedience, BTW, was a masterful use of layered droning distortion - who needs a mellotron when you can do that?

That's an interesting observation....your statement about the mellotron. I never thought of it in that way.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:19
Huge Jade Warrior fan over here!
I have most of their albums and I must say they are one of the most unique and interesting bands in prog.

Favourite albums: Last Autumn's Dream, Way Of The Sun, Released and the incredible NowI'm not a fan of their more ambient, quiet stuff.

Fantastic band anyway..

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...why bring it up if you aren't naming names..?  Wink

BTW...what do you think of their music ,both old and new?

OK, then. ;-) 
Colin Henson. This was some time ago and he was only in the band for a short while. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:50
Originally I was under the impression that Kites was split in half. I thought Jon Field wrote side 1 of the album and Tony Duhig on side 2. That was the impression I had when I bought the album in 1980. In the 70's and early 80's, their music was often played on the station WXPN out of Philadelphia. A couple of the established disc jockey's were huge Jade Warrior fans and featured an interview one evening with Duhig and Field. It was an after hours Progressive Rock radio show which lasted about 8 hours. The show's theme was an excerpt from Mort Garson's Black Mass/Lucifer, but I can't recall the name of the show...so if anyone can, I would greatly appreciate a response. 

Date Posted: September 30 2014 at 23:25

Barazinbar!

That's an interesting observation....your statement about the mellotron. I never thought of it in that way.

Jade Warrior did what they did with little more than a token contribution from keyboards, unlike a large body of Prog bands that we all know. Sax and flute helped for sure, but I think the tonal variations Tony Duhig got from distortion provided a lot of variation in the timbre. They had a broad palette that was surprisingly comparable to the contemporary synth/mellotron bands, or so I think.

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 09:44
Dino de Laurentis claimed to be a huge Jade Warrior fan years before producing the film "DUNE". Jade Warrior rushed a copy of "Images of Dune" ..which Laurentis told the band he'd be looking out for the arrival of the cassette. 3 copies mysteriously disappeared in his office. Toto were hired to do the score instead. I look upon this entire shifty and cruel business move as an opportunity greatly lost to Jade Warrior. Tangerine Dream had made a living off film scores and aside from it being written for a box office movie, the music was of great interest. Jade Warrior would have written the most brilliant soundtracks to date...if they had only been given a chance to prove themselves. Choosing Toto in the 80's would have added impressive popularity to the film's status. That's the reason why Jade Warrior were not chosen. Why that door of opportunity did not swing open. 

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 09:56
What do you all make of those strangely out-of-place straight rock songs on their early albums?  I'm thinking of "The Demon Trucker" and "We Have Reason to Believe" in particular, and "Joanne" to a lesser extent.   Those tracks typically get bashed in reviews, and though they're by no means bad songs, I think they must have been included as either a deliberate attempt at a radio-ready tune or perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke.  What do you think?

Also, anyone but me see a lot of similarities between "Petunia" and King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road"?  They even both lead off side two of their respective albums.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:06

What do you all make of those strangely out-of-place straight rock songs on their early albums?  I'm thinking of "The Demon Trucker" and "We Have Reason to Believe" in particular, and "Joanne" to a lesser extent.   Those tracks typically get bashed in reviews, and though they're by no means bad songs, I think they must have been included as either a deliberate attempt at a radio-ready tune or perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke.  What do you think?

Also, anyone but me see a lot of similarities between "Petunia" and King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road"?  They even both lead off side two of their respective albums.

Definitely deliberate because they were signed to Vertigo. Vertigo made the same contrived business demands of Jade Warrior just like they did with everyone else. Afro-Rock was a bit mainstream in the early 70's. Although I have a bad memory as to if it was actually labeled Afro-Rock?  "Well Honest Jerry", "Let's put Jade Warrior on a tour with those bands". Definitely a common practice in marketing Rock bands during the 70's. 

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:11

Yes I see it! There are other obvious influences of King Crimson in their music. When Jade Warrior first formed ...they would rehearse for hours and later in the evening...they would often attend a King Crimson show. 

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:15
If you listen to some of the improvisation from the Fillmore East concert off King Crimson's Epitaph, you can hear the influence they had over Jade Warrior.  

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:17

If you listen to some of the improvisation from the Fillmore East concert off King Crimson's Epitaph, you can hear the influence they had over Jade Warrior.  
I'll have to revisit that.  Interesting.

But yeah, my first impression of JW upon buying their debut album was a strong sense of both Tull and Crimson, but on the other hand their lack of a full drum and use of hand percussion kit really set them apart.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 12:45
^Yeah, I see them as the first band to embrace a world music aesthetic. True, it was largely their impression of world music, but my guess is that Tony Duhig picked up a thing or two when he was in Iran. John Field was a driving force in that too. The first album is really incredible for its use of percussion without a proper drum kit. What's funny is with a casual listen you don't even notice that "Hey, there aren't any drums!" The sporadic percussion and the base have it all covered.

Date Posted: October 01 2014 at 12:59

What do you all make of those strangely out-of-place straight rock songs on their early albums?  I'm thinking of "The Demon Trucker" and "We Have Reason to Believe" in particular, and "Joanne" to a lesser extent.   Those tracks typically get bashed in reviews, and though they're by no means bad songs, I think they must have been included as either a deliberate attempt at a radio-ready tune or perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke.  What do you think?Also, anyone but me see a lot of similarities between "Petunia" and King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road"?  They even both lead off side two of their respective albums.

Definitely deliberate because they were signed to Vertigo. Vertigo made the same contrived business demands of Jade Warrior just like they did with everyone else. Afro-Rock was a bit mainstream in the early 70's. Although I have a bad memory as to if it was actually labeled Afro-Rock?  "Well Honest Jerry", "Let's put Jade Warrior on a tour with those bands". Definitely a common practice in marketing Rock bands during the 70's. 

I agree definitely deliberate and influenced by the label. I always detected a bit of Zappa. It really comes out with Discotechnique on Fifth Element, 24 Hour Movie too. I seem to remember reading that they had opened for Zappa on their US tour, but I don't know where I got that from.

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 21:47
My order of Daniel Crommie with Glyn Havard - Between the Darkness and the Dawn arrived. Really good. Unlike the second album, the first doesn't have some of the other Jade Warrior members, but Glyn Havard is enough to get my enthusiasm going. Like I say, the music is really top notch.

What do others think about Glyn Haverd's singing? I like his voice quite a bit. His range is limited, but I like what he does with it. Maybe it's just encouraging to me since I have a limited range myself, but I can sing along full throated with the song, Yellow Eyes (when no one else is around). How do others regard his vocals?

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:24
Finally got around to checking out this group based on what people were saying in other threads, as well as the intriguing cover art posted in the "now playing thread". There's an obvious influence from the first Pink Floyd LP, but the entire songwriting sensibility is much more introverted and progressive... perhaps a direction PF could have taken if Syd Barrett's mental health issues had not forced him to leave? The influences from non-European folk music traditions with a lot of different instruments and excursions into longer trippy structures also remind me of early Amon Düül II. Not sure if there's an actual influence or whether it's just a result of being in sorta the same "idea space" at the same time.

I also swear I've came across their name and their music somewhere else, being convinced they've done the background music for several documentary films I watched a long time ago yet their discography on PA doesn't list any film scores nor confirm any of this. Maybe I'm confusing Jade Warrior with some other group that sounded similar and/or had a similar name.

EDIT: According to both Wikipedia and what I presume to be an official Facebook page, they did do the music for a 1979 film titled A Game for Vultures. The music I recognize from elsewhere I do specifically remember hearing in a documentary, rather than a work of fiction though.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 08:58
It could be possible their music was used for a documentary ..but without anyone consulting the band. I recall in the 70's..hearing the music of Vangelis in shows that were not mentioned in his bio, years later in the digital age. Perhaps he sued the pants off them and all is forgotten, but it does quite often happen...especially when a bio or documentary is being written by a person who was 18 years old in the late 80's and had no hands on experience with the artists life. Journalists and producers grab what they can that's relevant , throw in a few obscure facts, and unfortunately leave out several chapters. There is quite a bit of material missing from the research printed about several obscure artists on Wikipedia. That's why they request for people to write in and inform them on obscure facts. 

Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:09
Just wanted to say that Colin Henson is a fine guitarist. His improvisation on Distant Echoes is truly outstanding..and especially his soloing on "Evocation", "Night Of The Shamen", and "Calling The Wind". He has some influence of an Alan Holdsworth style of playing , but shines on his own with individuality. I love his phrasing. He's also very interesting on Breathing The Storm where he is more laidback, yet adds the perfect chemistry for the composition.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: October 09 2014 at 12:17
As far as use in soundtrack without band's knowledge let alone permission, don't unclear copyright situations sometimes allow that to happen? I don't know that much about the way creative property rights work in the music business and media overall, but I can imagine that passing over if the film in question's made by the media company as holds the rights to the music in question depending on how the band's contract is worded.

(indeed, haven't some record contracts been terminated over situations like that?)

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: October 09 2014 at 14:08
Yes they have indeed, but a band that is living in poverty and must focus more on the pull of domestic life, sometimes doesn't do anything. I have a friend who was a progressive writer in the early 80's and he's institutionalized ..while people continue to post his music on Youtube without his consent. A common situation which occurs today, but nevertheless..he couldn't care less because he's insane. 

Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 13:47

Yes they have indeed, but a band that is living in poverty and must focus more on the pull of domestic life, sometimes doesn't do anything. I have a friend who was a progressive writer in the early 80's and he's institutionalized ..while people continue to post his music on Youtube without his consent. A common situation which occurs today, but nevertheless..he couldn't care less because he's insane. 
Quite a shame. Very sad.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 04:01
For a long time I didn't know that both the 98' albums Eclipse and Fifth Element were material from the 70's, now that I got both I must say that Eclipse is an excellent album!!, I highly recommend it to any fan of the band.
I find all the important ingredients of Jade Warrior are there, all those beautiful ethereal reverbed flute and piano sounds and of course Duhig scorching dirty guitars! I'm so glad they dug it out.

I haven't focused on Fifth Element just yet, I've heard it about twice maybe and it sounds a little less interesting than Eclipse but of course time will tell.

So any fans of these albums around here?

Date Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:52
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

For a long time I didn't know that both the 98' albums Eclipse and Fifth Element were material from the 70's, now that I got both I must say that Eclipse is an excellent album!!, I highly recommend it to any fan of the band.
I find all the important ingredients of Jade Warrior are there, all those beautiful ethereal reverbed flute and piano sounds and of course Duhig scorching dirty guitars! I'm so glad they dug it out.

I haven't focused on Fifth Element just yet, I've heard it about twice maybe and it sounds a little less interesting than Eclipse but of course time will tell.

So any fans of these albums around here?

I've always thought of Released as my favorite, but Eclipse has really been my number one choice to go to in the past year or so. It has the the very Tull-like guitar and flute combination, the World Music percussion. Havard's lyrics were always top notch in my view, but they get more modern, introspective, mature and less flower child sounding (not that that's bad). It's a real shame they were just sat on by the record company.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk