Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99890
Printed Date: June 06 2024 at 22:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Frank Zappa Vs. Robert Fripp!
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Frank Zappa Vs. Robert Fripp!
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 15:26
Fripp Vs Hackett was just a warm up. Now the big question: Who's the better axemen, Frank Zappa or Robert Fripp?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 16:30
Fripp, next question

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 16:45
Zappa

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 18:04
This time my vote is for the Fripperman.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 18:05
Frank Zappa is my #2 guitarist right under Hackett. Fripp is quite excellent, Adrian Belew too, but the winner for me here is Zappa.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 18:14
It's really too close to call.  But if you put a gun to my head I'd pick Fripp.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 19:43
Belew because i can and i do like him the best. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 19:55
Much tougher call for than the warmup round. I guess I still gotta go for Fripp, but I could be convinced otherwise pretty easily...

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 20:30
Zappa never got into much....for now i guess. so Fripp it is once again!!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 21:27
While I applaud Frank's writing and guitar playing skills and Adrian for his playing skills and experimental hooliganry, my vote goes to Robert.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 21:46
Zappa and Fripp, I don't prefer rating one over the other. I like them both, but just as a lifelong observation...Fripp is a cleaner player than Zappa. It doesn't mean Zappa as a guitarist was lacking in any other area. He had most areas of playing/phrasing down to a science. Fripp's right picking hand hardly fumbled or slipped, hitting open strings and ringing out sour notes to cover with his palm. For example "Suite no.1 from Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp. That's an example of a guitarist in his early 20's ..who is already very skilled and plays most pieces to perfection.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 02 2014 at 22:41
Fripp(and Adrian Belew) over Zappa.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: La nouvelle terre
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 07:01
Fripp

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 07:06
King Robert

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 10:50
Completely different styles of playing.  

My 4 faves are Zappa, Fripp, Belew, and Holdsworth.  But they are all vastly/stylistically different!

Why does everything have to be a competition?

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: WrytXander
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 11:26
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

King Robert

LOL

-------------
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...

Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 12:24
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

My 4 faves are Zappa, Fripp, Belew, and Holdsworth.  But they are all vastly/stylistically different!

You don't need to take these polls seriously. We have all been out of high school for some time now, so we can laugh at them.

-------------

Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 12:43
Zappa got zapped! I didn't think it would be this lopsided!Shocked

-------------

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 10:06
Zappa

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 18:16

Robert Fripp.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: genisis
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 17:24
robert FRIPP

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 18:15
Hard to vote against the late, great Frank Zappa but that's exactly what I did.

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 18:18
Zappa's guitar work was usually interesting but could get a bit tiresome as he noodled in odd scales with a flanger set to airplane engine...the notes often blurred together after awhile, but that is most likely a choice he consciously made to prove a compositional point or make a statement (synchronicity, etc).

Belew has the wonderful ability to make a guitar sound like anything...but...

Fripp...there is no substitute Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 20:10
Zappa, no question

Fripp is good and a great guitarist but it is no contest

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 20:20
Zappa

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 21:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

You don't need to take these polls seriously. We have all been out of high school for some time now, so we can laugh at them.

Well, this is the polls section of the forum. Competition is what you can expect to find here.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 22:00
Frank had charisma, humor and sarcasm, all the things Fripp ain't.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 00:07
Fripp is the better guitarist, stylistically and technically speaking....however, Frank was the better composer by far.  And, he was no slouch on the 6-string either!  

Both had much in common, particularly in recruiting and developing bandmates and players who could help them to achieve their musical visions.  

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 02:48
Ditto

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 03:19
As  band leading guitarist who could do the 20 minute solos in rock, a composer Zappa is terrific. I think Fripp has some of the more immediately memorable moments (Red, Starless, Heroes). His sense of economy gives him an edge.

Zappa has a terrific sense of melody as a composer, a great sense of the big picture, as a writer he is more there than RF who has the occasional great idea (LTIA 2 and Red) while everything Zappa thinks of is at least interesting sometimes spell binding. RF is well attuned to the guitar and his crafty guitarist adventures attest to his influence as everyone does their best to sound like him. But he begat the California Guitar Trio. I think Belew and Fripp make amazing band guitarists while Zappa is great at playing but getting others to do the hard work as well.

Adrian Belew, with his heritage, is unique, versatile and has probably the more spontaneous imagination. Plus for a guitarist he can actually sing. FZ can Shut Up An' Play his Guitar. Heh, whose band is better, Fripp's Crimson or any of Frank's?

Really I can't decide. But if I had to get a guy to be in my band I'd choose Ade.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 05:45
GOING WITH THE BOB BABY!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 06:23
Uncle Frank, but had it been Frith rather than Fripp...

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 09:42
Both are AMAZING guitarists, difficult to choose one over the other - depends on what mood I'm in.......

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 10:27
^ Exactly 

Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 10:33
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Uncle Frank, but had it been Frith rather than Fripp...
Fripp, Frith, Zappa ......- all innovators, unconventional, and SUPERB players. Love 'em all

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 03:25
Zappa, hands down. 

Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 03:47
f**k my ole boots....... I am thinking.
Sorry Bob, but Uncle Frank wins this one !!

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 03:59
Zappa.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 04:59
Althoguh I recognise Frank Zappa's musician capability, Fripp's style is more in my taste !

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:24
wouldn't call myself a real fan of either.. though like my insightful post predecessor.. I do too have a f**king brain and recognize they have musical capabily haha.

Zappa though..  he's done I've found interesting and enjoyable than Fripp did...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:26
pulling a yellow card on the OP btw.. as I was typing that I was thinking to myself. In regards especially to Fripp.. that I would chosen Belew over both for he has done far FAR more interesting things than either IMO.

but did you put him in the thread title... nope.. so I didn't see his name.. until I had already vote for Zappa.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 07:35
I prefer KC and Fripp's music over Zappa's music over the years  but.....Zappa  can rip off a great rock or fusion lead and Fripp hasn't really done that often....he tends to stay restrained and do structured things.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 11:44
I prefer Zappa as an individual and Fripp as a musician...and since we are dealing with music, Fripp it is.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 12:26
I'm just trying to get past "Fripp Vs Hackett" as a "warm up."

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 15:57
Steve Vai himself giving Uncle Frank high praise.

Date Posted: February 10 2018 at 21:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I prefer KC and Fripp's music over Zappa's music over the years  but.....Zappa  can rip off a great rock or fusion lead and Fripp hasn't really done that often....he tends to stay restrained and do structured things.

Fripp only does structured things? Then what's with all those improvs he loves doing live? Though I guess in a way even the way to go into imrov territory is rather structured... but still by it's very definition improvs must have spontaneous musical creation, and that can't be fully structured.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 01:14
Fripp / Zappa and wild card Adrian Belew. He was good enough for both.

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 11:34
Tough one. I have a hard time choosing a favourite in terms of both guitar-playing and composition. If you put a gun to my head and force me to choose, I go for Zappa composition-wise and Fripp for his guitar wizardry.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 12:29
Dellinger......yes the 'improvs' are more unstructured'.....but even then I get the feeling he's doing guitar exercises and not playing with emotion and feel...and I might be saying that wrong but some of the leads by Zappa especially on Hot Rats for instance are simply blistering with rock blues and jazz feel.....I never get that same sensation from Fripp.....and KC is probably my favorite prog rock band btw.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 21:43
^ Anyway, many of those so called "improvs" I'm not really sure how improvised are, really. On The Great Deceiver set of live shows, they have "different" improvs from different shows (with different names) that are basically the same song (the same one used for tha Ausbury Park improv on USA). Now, King Crimson are very well known for their imrpovs, but I mostly prefer Pink Floyd's improvs, or jamming, from their early years... really improving their rather shorter and tamer studio versions. And there's not really much praise for that aspect of their music.

Posted By: Pigwheeler
Date Posted: February 11 2018 at 22:39
Zappa as a composer, bandleader, showman and songwriter in a general sense, Fripp as a guitarist.

They where both very "ahead of their time" though, both highly innovative individuals 

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:24
To me this was a big battle between Zappa and Fripp, but Fripp won.

Posted By: Pigwheeler
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 00:55
Zappa is like a loving father providing you with the necessities in life, King Crimson is like the weird girlfriend that you love for the weirdness and because she gives amazing sex Embarrassed

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 12 2018 at 03:02
Well, I don´t think would have wanted Zappa to be my father.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk