Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Favourite Steven Spielberg DIRECTED sci-fi movie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Steven Spielberg DIRECTED sci-fi movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of hes sci-fi movid do you like the most
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [33.33%]
4 [14.81%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.70%]
5 [18.52%]
2 [7.41%]
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Steven Spielberg DIRECTED sci-fi movie
    Posted: November 02 2022 at 13:48
Steven Spielberg,is a person despite hes position as or can be seen as a formulaic Hollywood director. Is a director i also very much admire, for many reasons. He have an amasing knowledge of film and of film making is very high, he can create art in every genre, is very vercetile. Yet he never forgetts to make movies that intrigues and entertains. Some of hes movies i also will call art

I made an error which also shows my lack of awerness, hes first movie Firelight should have been on top of the poll. But came last. So the list is not perfectly chronologicall.

Spielberg is a master of sci-fi, with a blend of awe and of fun. I like very much both CEoTK, ET, AI, Minority Report, War of the world, and Ready Player One, which really made me return my faith. So which of hes sci-fi is your favourite

Edited by Icarium - November 03 2022 at 02:23
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 14:29
Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.....
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 14:42
E.T.

My favorite Spielberg movies are the Back to the Future Trilogy.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 16:03
From this list, Close Encounter gets my vote.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2022 at 18:23
It's Close EncounterS of the THIRD Kind, and War of the WorldS
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 00:33
Hi,

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS ... IF it is in its original version with the extra 20 some minutes that were taken out. It was a much better film, and helped make things more interesting and a better story!

Other wise, I would say that E.T. is the great one, although I think that the over the moon shot is way too stoopid and not necessary, but this is Hollywood, right?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 01:21
Close Encounter of the first Kind
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 09:21
I love John Williamss score on Close Encounter of third Time, probably hes most experimental and inspired composition.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 10:06
Close Encounter of the Third Kind
Three reasons.
1 - Richard Dreyfuss' character's mania that culminates with him building the Devils Tower in his living room, including using real shrubberies
2 - The massive keyboard Jumbo Tron setup
3 - The Soundtrack

Edited by JD - November 03 2022 at 10:06
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 10:30
 I went with Minority Report but I haven't seen Close Encounters in a very long time.
 Probably should check it out again. 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 06:02
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

E.T.

My favorite Spielberg movies are the Back to the Future Trilogy.

How was Spielberg involved with these?!

Love ET and CEOTTK, but I also have a soft spot for WOTW, the opening half hour or so is remarkably well done…..
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 07:59
^ Spielberg was an executive producer on all three of the BttF films.

Spielberg is a master in making entertaining films. Although I dislike his dinosaur duds, most of his other films are good to great. Difficult to single out one... I guess for me it would be between Close Encounters and Minority Report. I'll go with the latter this time.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 09:08
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Close Encounter of the Third Kind
Three reasons.
1 - Richard Dreyfuss' character's mania that culminates with him building the Devils Tower in his living room, including using real shrubberies
2 - The massive keyboard Jumbo Tron setup
3 - The Soundtrack

Hi,

AND, don't forget Francois Truffaut! Excellent, and he has the knack for acting that he showed his actors in a lot of his films!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 11:28
^ Oh, allow me to disagree on that one, Mosh. I find Truffaut's acting rather bland, here and everywhere else where he appeared.

In general, and I know it is not a popular opinion here in France and probably elsewhere, I think Truffaut is a much overrated (ah, for once I adopt this awful word) director. Up till La peau douce he's brilliant, but afterwards his bourgeois tendencies are getting the up. Fahrenheit 451 is interesting but, especially in the directing department, lacking - imho. After that, it is getting too talkative and focused on relations (and his look on relationships). His cinema becomes very soppy, if you ask me...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 08:33
I voted Ready Player One, one of the funnest movies ive ever seen. Such a joyful movie, not better then ET, not Minority Report, etc, but this is an older Spieberg, does not have to proove antything (one could think) but the amount of childlike wonder, and grasp of the zeitgeist, this movie shows a good understanding of both social commentary, and showing the love for console video gaming,as a kid of the late 80s, whole 90s and beginning of the 00z, this film is my imagination (or were). Havbt read the book, but the film is chefs kiss.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 08:35
Spielberg never directed a movie called "Firelight". Confused
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 08:59
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Oh, allow me to disagree on that one, Mosh. I find Truffaut's acting rather bland, here and everywhere else where he appeared.

In general, and I know it is not a popular opinion here in France and probably elsewhere, I think Truffaut is a much overrated (ah, for once I adopt this awful word) director. Up till La peau douce he's brilliant, but afterwards his bourgeois tendencies are getting the up. Fahrenheit 451 is interesting but, especially in the directing department, lacking - imho. After that, it is getting too talkative and focused on relations (and his look on relationships). His cinema becomes very soppy, if you ask me...

Hi,

Actually, a lot of French directors are "too talkative". Check this out:

Rivette: Long discussions spread out, sometimes around the story. Perfect example is "La Belle Noiseusse" which is almost 4 hours long to make a small point in the end ... but in between it is far out to watch a hand draw a picture right from the start!

Godard: Best not get started on him, because he would immediately interrupt and do some kind of philosophical diatribe about this or that. Try some metaphysics over a cup of mil, dissolving the coffee, or the other way around ... totally insane!

Berri: Very talkative films, however to say that there is no "story" means that we are too impatient. Check out the 2 films "Jean de Florette" and "Manon of the Spring". The whole time you have no idea what is really going on, and the dialogue is NOT sidestepping the issue, and neither is it hiding anything, it just seems in the right place. Until the last 5 minutes of the 2nd film, when you get the most amazing jolt. THAT, is great literature in film, right there!

Truffaut: Agreed that he is very talky in his films, but I'm not sure that any of his films would have been as good without it, not to mention that a big part of it might have been that a lot of it was improvised, by actors well drilled and trained, to know and follow a program or story!

All four of these, the major French directors, known collectively as "the new wave" were all, Film Critics as well (Les Cahiers du Cinema) ... and they knew film, its history, and a lot more. Film for them, was exposition, and dialogue was something that the English had dumped for "big moments" and dumped the rest of the dialogue and story ...  like no one cares about Shakespeare except the main lines! The French were not that egotistical! They were much more literary minded, and I think there was a place for that in film, although to say that in America is like saying something bad about all American film, most of which is just "entertainment" and has to do with money, and not film at all!
www.pedrosena.com
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 13:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Must be this. Can't say I've ever heard of before, let alone seen it:

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 16:17
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Reportedly/ reputedly very few have seen it. Spielberg is supposed to have based Close Encounters on this film he made whew he was 17 for 500 dollars. And it reputedly showed in one theatre which seated 500 where at one dollar per ticket it made 501 dollars reputedly (maybe two dollars from his mum). Supposedly most of the film was lost (given to a production company that went bust and not retrieved?) and there are only a few minutes to watch (can be seen on youtube). I don't know how much of the story is true, there's quite a lot I've read about it that makes me sceptical.

Anyway, my obvious (to me) vote is for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I love that film. It makes for a nice double-bill with the Steven Spielberg penned and produced Poltergeist.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 08:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Reportedly/ reputedly very few have seen it. Spielberg is supposed to have based Close Encounters on this film he made whew he was 17 for 500 dollars. And it reputedly showed in one theatre which seated 500 where at one dollar per ticket it made 501 dollars reputedly (maybe two dollars from his mum). Supposedly most of the film was lost (given to a production company that went bust and not retrieved?) and there are only a few minutes to watch (can be seen on youtube). I don't know how much of the story is true, there's quite a lot I've read about it that makes me sceptical.

Anyway, my obvious (to me) vote is for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I love that film. It makes for a nice double-bill with the Steven Spielberg penned and produced Poltergeist.
i very and unctittically added all films i vied as labled sci-fi described on the wikipedia-describtions, without further research, hes earliest movies ive only heard about during hes Inside Actors Studio interview with James Lipton, and Lipton usually was very thourough in hes research.

So its only added for historical and curiosity reasons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>