Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in prog?
    Posted: May 22 2024 at 03:04
To my great shame, most, if not all of prog that I listen to is the product of men. Not that it is intrinsically a bad thing, but I would be interested in adding a bit of equity to my music library.

Do you have any recommendation?

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - May 22 2024 at 03:04
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 03:39
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 03:40
Renaissance, Curved Air, Mostly Autumn, Magenta, Karnataka, The Reasoning, IO Earth, Solstice, Iona, Landmarq (TH era), Touchstone, Lana Lane should get you started....
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 03:47
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 06:21
I'll avoid the cliché of having the only female in the band as the singer.

Aranis was a majority of women (sometimes 5 over two men)
Medieval Baebes was all women, I believe
The Moulettes are mainly female.

All-girls bands that were proggy-ish (though I still think they should've been included in Prog-Related)- and they rocked pretty hard too:

Birtha

Fanny:

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 09:21
Here is Rachel Flowers covering ELP, but she does original material as well.
Hiromi is another artist worth checking out and also Sax Ruins.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 10:26
There are many female artists (composers/musicians/singers) that I adore in Prog and Proggish avenues.

I could do a laundry list (that can get overwhelming for an attentive and diligent OP), but one particular modern favourite of mine in so-called "Prog" that I mention a lot at PA (too much some might say) is Anna von Hausswolff.

My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 10:52
My all-time favourite album by a female artist is "Mother" by Gilli Smyth because of its unique blend of psychedelia, space rock, and experimental sound collages. The album, released in 1978, features a mix of whimsical folk-pop elements, dreamy nursery rhymes, trippy rock tunes, and avant-garde jazz influences. Gilli Smyth's signature “space whisper” vocals add an ethereal quality to the tracks, complemented by saxophone-led melodies and unconventional song structures.
The album delves into themes of motherhood, gender roles, and feminist polemics through its eclectic soundscapes. With contributions from Gong members such as Daevid Allen, who was her partner for many years, and other musicians like Didier Malherbe, Christian Tristch, and Pip Pyle, "Mother" offers a journey through surreal sonic landscapes that reflect both the era it was created in and the visionary creativity of its makers. 
From chirpy psychedelic folk music to experimental jazz-rock explorations, "Mother" presents a musical tapestry that is both charming in its eccentricity and musically imaginative. While some tracks may lean towards the avant-garde side with their sound collages and unconventional arrangements, the overall essence of the album captures a time when musical boundaries were being pushed and artistic expression knew no limits.

Edited by Moyan - May 22 2024 at 11:01
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 10:56
There's probably more female prog musicians than there are female prog fans (which unfortunately probably isn't saying much).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 10:57
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There's probably more female prog musicians than there are female prog fans (which unfortunately probably isn't saying much).

I wonder what percentage of female prog musicians are female prog fans.

{I would expect that there are various female singers who front bands considered Prog bands, as well as contributing female musicians, who would not consider themselves to be fans of Prog.  That said, there are quite a few composer/musicians who create Prog (as we may define and divine it) rather than those who "just" perform in Prog bands. Some of those might not consider their music to be Prog or consider themselves to be Prog either.  Anyway, just an aside from the topic.}

Edited by Logan - May 22 2024 at 13:12
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 14:03
^^^ That's a fantastic example, thank you ! I forgot about her, very talented indeed.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 14:19
Japanese symphonic prog band Ars Nova started as an all-female trio (keys/bass/drums). Later the band expanded to a quintet with the addition of two male musicians. It's been a long time since they recorded any new material. Wish they'd get together for another album. Keiko Kumagai is a great keyboardist.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 14:30
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Japanese symphonic prog band Ars Nova started as an all-female trio (keys/bass/drums). Later the band expanded to a quintet with the addition of two male musicians. It's been a long time since they recorded any new material. Wish they'd get together for another album. Keiko Kumagai is a great keyboardist.

Beat me to it! Ars Nova remains my favorite keyboard/symph/ELP/RPI-inspired group.

While they haven't released a new album (yet), Keiko has prepared a fair amount of new music, and the all-girl line-up was restored with their most recent live performances.

Here's footage of Keiko, Mika, Panky (from the later 4tet lineup) and Akiko back in action, in France, circa 2018 at Crescendo Fest.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 14:35
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 14:44
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 15:23
Iseesha Bailey from Karda Estra

Amanda Parsons ( my favorite vocalist of all time)

Curved Air...( box set)

Tirill Mohn...excellent musician and writer

Steeleye Span...reminded me of Jethro Tull at times...particularly Tull's more Folky period.

Annie Haslam...I like Renaissance and I have everything on cd. The first 2 with Jane Relf and from Prologue to Azure
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 15:41
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Annie Haslam...I like Renaissance and I have everything on cd. The first 2 with Jane Relf and from Prologue to Azure

I like Illusion, too (Out of the Mist is the better of the two, of course).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 15:53
Arsnova I really like and I have their entire catalog on CD minus a live album ( I think?)
They are often compared to ELP..but when I listen to their early albums it comes across as instrumental Prog and so much ELP . The last few releases had new members and their style altered a bit with more guitar. Biogenesis Project is one of my favorites.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 15:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I like Illusion, too (Out of the Mist is the better of the two, of course).

I need to check them out.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:05
Avoiding female vocalists, of whom there are many, great harpist Zeena Parkins is on a good number of albums listed on PA by different bands/artists, like News From Babel and Björk.

Belarus's wonderful chamber prog Five-Storey Ensemble is about 50% female.

Edited by Lewian - May 22 2024 at 16:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>