Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How can I get the best sound out of my Boss DS1?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow can I get the best sound out of my Boss DS1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I get the best sound out of my Boss DS1?
    Posted: June 15 2008 at 00:14
Does anyone else have this distortion pedal? I'm sure you all do, it's the most common pedal for any guitarist to have..but that's beside the point.

Can anyone tell me the exact preferences they have on their amp to get the best sound out of this pedal? I've had the thing for a while now and forgot about it for a while, and I was wondering if anyone used it frequently, and how they got the best sound out of it.

As always: thanks in advance Big%20smile
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 06:58
As it turns out dude, I actually do have a DS-1!
Well to be honest, since I got my Behringer V-Amp 2, I no longer use the DS-1 in my home guitar rig.
I still use the DS-1 at school.
Basically, I don't use the DS-1 as a distortion pedal, because honestly you're not going to get great results out of it, especially since I know you're into metal and shred, and believe me, using the DS-1 through an amp clean channel wont cut it.
I use my DS-1 through the overdrive channels through the school amps to give the lead sound more bite and attack, and extra gain. Typically, I run the level at about 75 per cent, Dist I run at 1/4, and tone at about 1/2.
Bear in mind, with a little soldering knowledge and really cheap electronic kits, you can modify the components in the DS-1 to your liking. When my dad comes back from working overseas. I'm going to ask him to modify my pedal (his an electrician by trade, so he will know what he's doing luckily, unlike meEmbarrassed), because there are certain mods you can do to increase the mid range boost, and to cut out some of the more hissy and piercing high frequencies you can sometimes get from a DS-1.
That said, I believe Steve Vai used a stock DS-1 for ages, and got great tones by using it as a preamp boost.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 12:13
I never had any Boss stomp box ... but I have an Ibanez Tube King which I liked very much. It had a very broad range of distortion and you could even get high gain leads, provided that the pickups of your guitar had a decent output.

I have to agree with HughesJB4 here ... if you want high gain then one Tube Screamer like pedal isn't enough. Now of course you could get another distortion pedal and chain them, but it makes your setup much more complicated. That's what I love about all in one solutions like the POD XT/X3 Live or my VOX Tonelab SE ... you get a huge variety of sounds, different amp models and stomp boxes, and you can change between totally different setups with just one button.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 12:52
^As for hooking up two overdrive pedals, that will never get you sounding as good as one pedal boosting an amps pre-amp. I mean, if the sound you are going for needed that, it's okay, but since you're a shred guy like me anyway Mike, I can guarantee two distortion pedals together wont sound good for your style.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 13:36
^ of course I agree ... I said that chaining two distortion pedals make it more complicated, but of course the sound you get is going to suck. What you could do is to use one high quality distortion pedal (which essentially is a preamp), feed that into the clean channel of the amp, and add a tube screamer in front. But I simply love the high gain amp simulations ... they offer a similar level of distortion and compression without the hassle of stomp boxes and the increased noise and "muddyness".
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 16:36
You know, I forgot I posted this topic LOL. I'm using my DS-1 through a marshall JPM head (very old, not much distortion at all), I'm pretty much getting all the sound out of the pedal that I can and it's still not that shred sound I want.

Could the Behringer V-Amp 2 go through the head or cab (it's a 2x12, but I guess that's sort of beside the point), and get me a more shreddy sound?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 10:20
Turn everything up louder than everything else ! Once you have complete the circle, see if you can uncurl your ears ...LOL
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 05:54
Send him to Analog Man who will mod it and it will sound better ;)

Steve Rothery uses an Analaog Man DS1 ;)
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 14:06
Try the Boss Fender Bassman 59 pedal. Compared to most distortion units, it has a very wide variety of tone. On a clean channel you can go from Stones-ish grit to AC/DC and other 70s hard rockers; and on your gain channel, with the boost on, you can get pretty close to nailing the 80s Metallica sound among other Heavy metal hi-gain tones. I currently have the Marshall Jackhammer, with a TS9 in front of it. I like some of the tones from the OD settings, and while it's better than the Metal Zone pedal or the DS-1, it is, like them, really a one trick pony who does what it does well. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 08:44
Woa. This thread lives.

Err, Mike, what are you using right now?

The Marshall with the DS-1 in front of it?
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 20:42
I've always been curious....what is that little green man carrying ?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 22:20
had a DS1, a Rat, and my personal favorite the MXR Distortion+, but I came to feel the best I got was a good amp's natural overdrive (had a Mesa-Boogie Studio Series).. in fact I think a pedal is best with a big, powerful set-up where it can really give an extra dimension without losing too much gain or tone

mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 06:32
The best tones are always to be had when the valves in the power section are worked hard and giving that natural valve compression. Pedals do suck some of the tone out and introduce additional noise, but  give crunch and distortion without having to use high volume. Pedals have their own character, and ones with eq can alter the sound dramatically - a very convenient extra channel at the press of a footswitch. My favourites are the MXR distortion + and Marshall Guvn'or.
Rather than buy distortion pedals, there are many simple circuits that can be built. Some use only a single transistor, and other circuits use the 741 chip. The 741 is good for strange fuzz sounds. When building these, you often create new kinds of distortion and fuzz.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 07:09
My favourite one, in the same kind of spirit of the DS1, is the MI Audio Crunchbox. It's a bit like a Marshall amp in a box! It sounds really great!!

I played a lot of distortion pedals but this one is still on my board ;)
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 15:30
Anybody tried out the Boss Fender Bassman "59 pedal ? 
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 23:33
I just got my behringer V-Amp2... now I am chucking away all my pedals and just using the V-Amp straight into the mixer. No more rows of pedals to worry about when setting up- bliss.
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 07:18
I think the MI crunch box has the most natural valve sound of the pedals I've heard so far, including the ones with real valves. It seems to emulate power stage distortion as opposed to pre-amp distortion.
 Nice demo here.

The Bassman pedal sounds pretty good on clean and mid gain, but harsh to my ears at high gain.
If you can make it  past the cheesy muzak, here's another demo.

Edited by mr70s - September 25 2008 at 07:29
 Post Reply Post Reply