Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJoin the Blue Oyster Cult!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Join the Blue Oyster Cult!
    Posted: February 21 2010 at 08:52
OK, it seems there are appreciation threads for a lot of Proto and Related bands, but none so far dedicated to the mighty BOC - and that in spite of the many fans the band has on the Archives. Therefore, the time has come (pun intended!) for us to encourage as many members as possible to join the Blue Oyster Cult, and discuss everything related to this great band - who, in spite of being out of a record contract, are still alive and kicking on the live circuit.

I discovered BOC in the early Eighties, when they had just released the album I have as my avatar, Fire of Unknown Origin, and I've been a fan since then. I saw them live only once (Rome, 1986), and was blown away... After that, I managed to miss them at least three times in the past few years, but hopefully 2010 will be the year for me to see them again.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 08:59
hah...  I always liked the group.. with Raff in my life.  I have come to love the group.

enough so...  I dedicate this to all the BOC fanatics..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:00
GODZILLA!...'ZILLA!...'zilla!...'zilla...  Love them. I've got a copy of Agents Of Fortune, Spectres and Blue Oyster Cult (debut). Any others I should get?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:01
Secret Treaties... a must.. in fact.. for all prog fans.  Not just for BOC fans... a 5 star album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:06
Ah yes. Thanks very much. Apparantly Imaginos is really worth getting also, is that right?
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:10
Unfortunately not very familiar with them. I play Godzilla on bass now and then, bit that's about it really LOL
I've never listened to them in a serious way and like everybody else I feel like I've heard Don't Fear The Reaper a million times.

Where to start if you want to give them a proper chance? 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:11
definitely.....  Raff wrote a cracklin review of it. Check it out Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:12
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Unfortunately not very familiar with them. I play Godzilla on bass now and then, bit that's about it really LOL
I've never listened to them in a serious way and like everybody else I feel like I've heard Don't Fear The Reaper a million times.

Where to start if you want to give them a proper chance? 

trust me..  you'll love it

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:14
My personal recommendations would be their first three albums (BOC, Tyranny and Mutation, Secret Treaties) - also known as the 'black and white trilogy', then Cultosaurus Erectus and Fire of Unknown Origin. Spectres is also quite good, but more 'radio-friendly' than the others mentioned, while I find Agents of Fortune somewhat underwhelming, and Mirrors very weak.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:20
Well, Secret Treaties is up next on the playlist then Thumbs Up

(once again - thank the Whatever from high atop the Thing for Spotify LOL)

Edited by LinusW - February 21 2010 at 09:21
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 09:36
"Harvest Moon" is one of their best songs.  Boo-hiss to you who rate Heaven Forbid so low!

I think my favorite songs, beside that one, would be "ETI: Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence" (one of the greatest choruses ever penned), "Then Came the Last Days of May," "Astronomy," and of course, "(Don't Fear) The Reaper."  Thumbs Up
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 10:25
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 10:34

I think the first half of Heaven Forbid is quite good, and I agree, Robert, Harvest Moon is an excellent song.  But the second half of it starts to lose my interest and by the end of the album I realize I haven't really been listening to it since around In the Cold Grey Light of Dawn. 

My personal recommendations for you Fusion would be Imaginos, Secret Treaties and Fire of Unknown Origin.  Those are my three favorites.  A lot of other great ones out there too, if you like those.  But avoid: Club Ninja, Revolution By Night and Mirrors.  All have some good stuff on them, but a lot of bleh as well.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 10:34
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

"Harvest Moon" is one of their best songs.  Boo-hiss to you who rate Heaven Forbid so low!

I think my favorite songs, beside that one, would be "ETI: Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence" (one of the greatest choruses ever penned), "Then Came the Last Days of May," "Astronomy," and of course, "(Don't Fear) The Reaper."  Thumbs Up

I actually like Heaven Forbid quite a lot, definitely better than Mirrors - and I also agree about "Harvest Moon", which has very intriguing lyrics as well as great music.  "Then Came the Last Days of May" is probably the best song on their debut album, and I'd recommend you check the cracking live version included on their A Long Day's Night DVD. Guitar heavenClap!
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 11:28
One of my favorite rock bands, and i got most of thire albums, my favorite is Agents of fortune. And yes Heaven forbid is a good album.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 12:31
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Imaginos, Secret Treaties and Fire of Unknown Origin.  Those are my three favorites.  
OK, will check them out. If you prefer them over their first two, they must be really good.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 12:58
Cultosaurous Erectus is my all-time favorite. No album with songs like "Black Blade" and "Monsters" should be ignored
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 12:59
For anyone just wanting a nice intro to BOC, try Workshop of Telescopes, a two CD compilation. 

The best known tracks -- Fear the Reaper, Godzilla, Burnin' For You -- tell a lot of the story.  But the lesser known stuff, perhaps best represented by Astronomy (covered very well by Metallica on the Garage Inc. album) are marvels to behold. 

My friends, you don't have to convert me.  This stuff is truly capable of frying the brain, and I mean that in a good way.

Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll!

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 13:15
BOC are truly teh awesome.  I had only been really familiar with their Big Three ("The Reaper", "Godzilla" and "Burnin' For You") until seeing one of the later versions of BOC on tour.  (This was before Heaven Forbid was recorded.)  I must agree with several other posters in the thread that Secret Treaties is their real showpiece.  Gotta love how Bloom often sounds haunted or possessed.

Re Heaven Forbid:  I'll never understand why they changed the title and cover art.  They were originally going to call it Ezekiel's Wheel and they had some great cover art for it.  Heaven Forbid is a rather lame title by comparison, and the cover is one of the worst I've ever seen from a major recording artist.

Oh, and also:

<------ R.I.P. Gene Frenkel  LOL

Edited by zappaholic - February 21 2010 at 13:18
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 13:17
I am a big fan of their early years (the three first ones in particular). Secret Treaties remains a desert island favorite , the driving Career of Evil and the manic Dominance & Submission are personal icons.
The Vigil on Mirrors is another whopping track that goes unnoticed , a blistering solo guitar that will tighten your underwear! After Imaginos , I sort of peeled away but remain a huge fan.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>