Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ride the Lightning vs. Master of Puppets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Let's go
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [34.48%]
19 [65.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:33
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Their 80s album covers were great, but afterwards, they looked rather awful, really strange... Confused
To me it makes perfect sense as...
Their 80s albums were great, but afterwards, they sound rather awful, really strange... Confused

(I don't really mind the Black Album though. It's a solid three star. Same goes for the cover art)

I really like their last two albums. Hetfield saves the day for me though. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:45
^ Ok I've mostly just lost interest in what they have to offer. I've only really heard about a trio of songs form each of them. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 07 2023 at 00:19
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 17:08

Their 80s album covers were great, but afterwards, they looked rather awful, really strange... Confused

What, you don't like the piss, blood and cum album covers?

I don't really mind listening to it, but every recent song I've heard from Metallica just sounds like you'd ask someone to come up with a song that sounds like Metallica. I feel like every 80's metal band, after they get past their weird era in the 90's just devolve into that.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 18:25
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I need to listen to RTL again but that's probably the one I would go for. Just to be clear though is this poll about the songs or the entire albums?

haha i wanted to leave out as little info as possible for an unbiased poll, but yes the albums, not the songs (hence why I embedded Creeping Death instead of Ride the Lightning [the song]) - probably shoulda done Battery instead of Master of Puppets [the song] for further clarification.

Nevertheless, for me, MoP is the more consistent album that works better as a whole, while RtL has significantly higher highs and much better singles, but some songs, like Escape, were questionable inclusions. It really is a tough decision between the two albums, but I do like the production of RtL considerably better than MoP, as the latter is honestly a bit too polished for me, while the former hits in just the right spot and for that reason I would pick RtL. If the four best songs from this album were released as an EP, it may be the greatest release of in metal history, imo they're that good (For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, and The Call of Ktulu), and a contender for best EP of all time. Yet as cliched as it may be to state this, it really is a tough decision between the two - the question is am I looking at the songs or the album.
In regards to the production I think both albums are pretty much perfect. I wouldn't want the cleaned up sound on RtL - or a grittier MoP. I love the brutal attack of Fight Fire With Fire just as much as the razorsharp and explosive Battery - and none of them would gain anything by swapping production imo. I agree that Escape is significantly weaker than say... Leper Messiah (which is still great), and for me the highs are simply put the rest of both albums - and about equal. With the already mentioned Fight Fire With Fire being a personal contender for best albumopener in metal ever - I certainly wouldn't want an EP without it (or the title track, really).

...blahblahblah... if I had to choose just one, its got to be Master of Puppets for me. But fortunatly I can have both:)

Yeah I just got Master of Puppets on CD - the only Metallica album I still need to have all the Metallica albums I want is Ride the Lightning. Nevertheless this is the first Metallica album I purchased since I got Kill 'Em All on vinyl in 2017, thus I reorganized all my Metallica stuff (replacing, for example, all the sh*tty compressed mp3s I got like a decade ago with better sounding files) and so they've been on my mind recently.

Kill Em All is the only one of the earlier (black album and earlier) albums I don't have. I don't have anything from Load or after it athough I did borrow Death Magnetic from the library once and thought it was pretty good. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 06 2023 at 18:27
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 23:13

I need to listen to RTL again but that's probably the one I would go for. Just to be clear though is this poll about the songs or the entire albums?

haha i wanted to leave out as little info as possible for an unbiased poll, but yes the albums, not the songs (hence why I embedded Creeping Death instead of Ride the Lightning [the song]) - probably shoulda done Battery instead of Master of Puppets [the song] for further clarification.

Nevertheless, for me, MoP is the more consistent album that works better as a whole, while RtL has significantly higher highs and much better singles, but some songs, like Escape, were questionable inclusions. It really is a tough decision between the two albums, but I do like the production of RtL considerably better than MoP, as the latter is honestly a bit too polished for me, while the former hits in just the right spot and for that reason I would pick RtL. If the four best songs from this album were released as an EP, it may be the greatest release of in metal history, imo they're that good (For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, and The Call of Ktulu), and a contender for best EP of all time. Yet as cliched as it may be to state this, it really is a tough decision between the two - the question is am I looking at the songs or the album.
In regards to the production I think both albums are pretty much perfect. I wouldn't want the cleaned up sound on RtL - or a grittier MoP. I love the brutal attack of Fight Fire With Fire just as much as the razorsharp and explosive Battery - and none of them would gain anything by swapping production imo. I agree that Escape is significantly weaker than say... Leper Messiah (which is still great), and for me the highs are simply put the rest of both albums - and about equal. With the already mentioned Fight Fire With Fire being a personal contender for best albumopener in metal ever - I certainly wouldn't want an EP without it (or the title track, really).

...blahblahblah... if I had to choose just one, its got to be Master of Puppets for me. But fortunatly I can have both:)

Yeah I just got Master of Puppets on CD - the only Metallica album I still need to have all the Metallica albums I want is Ride the Lightning. Nevertheless this is the first Metallica album I purchased since I got Kill 'Em All on vinyl in 2017, thus I reorganized all my Metallica stuff (replacing, for example, all the sh*tty compressed mp3s I got like a decade ago with better sounding files) and so they've been on my mind recently.

Kill Em All is the only one of the earlier (black album and earlier) albums I don't have. I don't have anything from Load or after it athough I did borrow Death Magnetic from the library once and thought it was pretty good. 

Yeah I'm not interested in Load/Reload - they as well as 72 Seasons and Hardwired are the only four Metallica albums I've never finished, nor intend to.

I have Kill 'Em All, Master of Puppets, eponymous, St. Anger, and Death Magnetic, the latter three I got in high school (what if I told you at one point St. Anger was one of my favorite albums... I was one angry teenager and man did that album serve its purpose for me lmfao I don't listen to it nearly as much as I did back then [I don't think I've listened to it in several years but idk]) - I would like to get Ride the Lightning, and I'm still thinking about AJFA (brilliant song writing, but terrible production job - thanks Lars)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 00:36
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

I don't really mind listening to it, but every recent song I've heard from Metallica just sounds like you'd ask someone to come up with a song that sounds like Metallica. I feel like every 80's metal band, after they get past their weird era in the 90's just devolve into that.

yeah, maybe, still like some of those albums (Overkill, Testament, Death Angel, Exodus, Kreator have released good albums post 2000). 
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2023 at 07:49
I really like "When Darkness Had a Son" off the new 72 seasons - the way the riff sits in time seems like something Metallica hasn't done before. 

For me, everything post Black album is pretty hit and miss. There are some great songs in there "Fuel" as an example, but they decided to do more straight ahead rock in the 90's until the can of beans snare fiasco and by the time they came back to old man thrash, it was nostalgia band time. Which is fine. They are old men. And they do write good riffs and sometimes good songs. But the magic fire of their 80's output is long past.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 06:21
Ride the Lighning
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 20:52
I have never really understood the great love towards Master of Puppets. I guess it's just because though I do like metal, and Metallica, I'm not really much of a fan of Thrash, so I rather enjoy the more melodic Metallica songs. As for these two albums, I feel that MoP follows a similar pattern to RtL, but out of those songs I like from RtL, I like them much better than their MoP counterparts.
Lesanderd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesanderd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 16:42
Master of Puppets is Metallica at their peak.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 22:37
Tough choice but today it's Ride the Lightning. 

The first four Metallica albums are among the best music ever. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2023 at 23:42
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have never really understood the great love towards Master of Puppets. I guess it's just because though I do like metal, and Metallica, I'm not really much of a fan of Thrash, so I rather enjoy the more melodic Metallica songs.
Surely you understand that the reason you don't love it as greatly as others, is that you struggle with the genre in itself? As don't I like Neo-Prog at all and can't stand the approach to Prog-Metal that Dream Theater represent - it's no mystery to me why I don't enjoy the much beloved Misplaced Childhood or Images and Words.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2023 at 01:14
Master Of Puppets Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2023 at 00:46

I have never really understood the great love towards Master of Puppets. I guess it's just because though I do like metal, and Metallica, I'm not really much of a fan of Thrash, so I rather enjoy the more melodic Metallica songs.
Surely you understand that the reason you don't love it as greatly as others, is that you struggle with the genre in itself? As don't I like Neo-Prog at all and can't stand the approach to Prog-Metal that Dream Theater represent - it's no mystery to me why I don't enjoy the much beloved Misplaced Childhood or Images and Words.

Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2023 at 04:51
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

MoP. It is my favourite Metallica album.

RtL has many good and great songs, but I just don't like the sound of the album.

Good grief, what did I say here...

I like the sound of RtL. I guess I thought it was ...And Justice for All, whose sound I dislike.

Ride the Lightning's tracks are a bit of a hit-and-miss for me. Howbeit, Master of Puppets is wholly excellent IMO.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2023 at 06:31

Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Well, you began by stating that you never understood why, while the reason is obvious. But nevermind.
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 16:37
"Ride the Lightning" has excellent songs, like "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Fade to Black" and the instrumental "The Call of Ktulu", but Master of Puppets is a step above with its more powerful sound like with "Master of Puppets", "Welcome Home" and the instrumental "Orion".
Héctor Enrique
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 06:34
Ride the Lightning for me, more innovative
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 18:43
Coin flip lands me on Pastor of Muppets.
Another flipping of the coin may have resulted in Ride the Lightning.
Didn't vote in the poll.
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2023 at 10:21
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Coin flip lands me on Pastor of Muppets.

I call it that, too. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>