Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles - Now and Then

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 06:24
I certainly won't be buying the 'Red' and 'Blue' albums again, but I might download 'Now And Then' for 0.99p on Amazon. Tongue
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 09:54
The General consensus seems to be it will be good, better than the last 2 singles released in the 90s, but not worth buying those Red and Blue albums, which I agree with
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 14:05
^ Maybe the consensus in prog circles, but as songs Real Love & FaaB were more melodic, tighter, specific, and closer to what the Beatles might've released as B-sides.   'Now and Then' is more of an internal John Lennon exploration.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 14:36
^Does that make it a perfect final Beatles song in terms of Lyrical content?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 14:57
Nope, that doesn't exist.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 18:29
 ... I mean except for 'The End/Her Majesty' of course   Big smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 18:33
^'The Medley' (A.K.A. The Long One) is perhaps the greatest career closer in history, and I think it will be remembered as The Beatles true career closer, at least I hope so. 

'and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make'

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 21:47
Certainly not their best song but it is satisfying to see a recording with half the Beatles living and half dead perform a bonafide song. This short 12 1/2 minute documentary scratches that itch.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 08:34
I'm listening to it now. Not to sound like a party pooper but does anyone really consider this to be the Beatles?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 02 2023 at 15:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 10:13
^ they all play on it so sure. Is it the best Beatles? Not even close. It's definitely a throwaway track which is why it wasn't finished in 1994.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 11:54
Hi,

I haven't heard this in its entirety, but some bits and pieces of this stuff appears to have been heard in the many bootlegs around the Beatles, specially Let It Be.

And of course, John, George and Paul would eventually remember their bits and do something with them!

As for a new "Beatles" ... I don't think that is right, or should have been done. Maybe if they were listed as "out-takes" it would make better sense.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 11:57
I've just had the chance to listen to it, I like it, the vocals are better than Real Love and Free as a Bird, some of the harmonies sound a bit off to me, Paul's Slide solo isn't half bad, it fits the song. 

'The Medley' (Which does NOT include Because) is their true end, however, I will say 'Now and Then' is a solid record, and the last 'NEW' Beatles song we'll ever get, it's sad, I had no idea I'd get a new song by Rock's greatest group in my lifetime, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 16:45
"It's rubbish."   --George Harrison
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 17:25
^Did George say WHY he thought it was rubbish?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 17:58
^ I don't think he had to---  he was a Beatle, and frankly he's right.

Edited by Atavachron - November 02 2023 at 18:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 18:07
^My conclusion is, Now and Then will always be sentimental to me, seeing as it's the only thing I'll ever get as a 'new' Beatles song in my lifetime, The Medley is their true studio ending, and nothing will ever change that. I say it's a good song (Better than 'Real Love' and 'Free as a Bird' in my opinion) it's technically a Beatles song, so I don't know what to think of it, it's not their best, it's not their worst, it's a mid-tier song (if the Beatles have such a thing), so it's a Mid-Tier Beatles song. 

If I had to sum up my thoughts in a sentence, i'd say:

It's interesting, good, and I'm glad it came out, and I hope it doesn't mar what was meant to be their Swan Song. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 18:12
^ it's a mere blip and most people won't even be aware that it came out.

These things are acceptable given The Beatles never carried on with new band members.

Personally it's not horrible but hardly anything i will shell out cash for.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 18:14
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

^My conclusion is, Now and Then will always be sentimental to me, seeing as it's the only thing I'll ever get as a 'new' Beatles song in my lifetime, The Medley is their true studio ending, and nothing will ever change that. I say it's a good song (Better than 'Real Love' and 'Free as a Bird' in my opinion) it's technically a Beatles song, so I don't know what to think of it, it's not their best, it's not their worst, it's a mid-tier song (if the Beatles have such a thing), so it's a Mid-Tier Beatles song. 
If I had to sum up my thoughts in a sentence, i'd say:

It's interesting, good, and I'm glad it came out, and I hope it doesn't mar what was meant to be their Swan Song.

Of course.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2023 at 19:51
I will say, that 12 minute documentary on YouTube made me appreciate this a lot more

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 07:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

"It's rubbish."   --George Harrison

Hi,

Considering GH's sardonic humor ... this comment would probably be followed with a laugh!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>