Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:30
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Arsnova I really like and I have their entire catalog on CD minus a live album ( I think?)
They are often compared to ELP..but when I listen to their early albums it comes across as instrumental Prog and so much ELP . The last few releases had new members and their style altered a bit with more guitar. Biogenesis Project is one of my favorites.

More RPI I think rather than ELP but they did do the Keyboards Triangle album with Gerard and a very nice version of Tarkus.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:32
Earth and Fire : Jerney Kaagman singing (LP up to The world of the future , then the band went pop/crap)
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:34
Italian Band Tale Cue ( Voices beyond my curtain) has also nice female vocals
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:37
if you like more 'modern' femalel voice (Bjork like in the present case), take a look
at Paatos (Finland) : 2 CDs Kallocaine and Timeloss

Edited by mellotronwave - May 22 2024 at 16:54
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The Moulettes are mainly female.

I love their albums especially Preternatural.

Looked online ansd lo and behold there is an event taking place in my home county of Cornwall on the 7 June. That said, it will still be a 1 and half hour drive , 3 hr round trip which is a bit too much. An hour each way would have been fine so unless I stay over it's not happening for me.

Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Arsnova I really like and I have their entire catalog on CD minus a live album ( I think?)
They are often compared to ELP..but when I listen to their early albums it comes across as instrumental Prog and so much ELP . The last few releases had new members and their style altered a bit with more guitar. Biogenesis Project is one of my favorites.

More RPI I think rather than ELP but they did do the Keyboards Triangle album with Gerard and a very nice version of Tarkus.

I was unaware of this. Thanks for sharing
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:45
I compiled the whole Spotify playlist with some of my favourite songs from female fronted prog acts, do check it out!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 17:09
Chelsea Wolfe
Hedvig Mollestad

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 17:44
I know many more, and a lot more that might be considered "adjacent". They might not be commercially successful, but the music is great and I (at least in the last handful of years) seek women because I prefer their voice.

Curved Air
Illusion
Carol of Harvest
Mellow Candle
Yoshiko Sai
Earth & Fire
Savage Rose
Empire (with Peter Banks)
Catapilla
Renaissance
Comus
Bran
Cos
Lily & Maria
Fantasy (Florida band)
Amon Duull
Trees
Sandrose
Mother Superior (all-woman group)
Babe Ruth
Steeleye Span
Pentangle
Spyrogyra
Hatfield and the North
National Health

Sandy and Jane Relf did a lot throughout their career. I'd listen to ALL their stuff.

Edited by MortSahlFan - May 22 2024 at 17:55
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 17:53
Before Ars Nova, Shingo "Numero" Ueno released an EP on Made In Japan by an all-girl sympho quintet called Rosalia (Zillion Tears, 1990).

The keyboardist was Naomi Miura, who temporarily joined Ars Nova for a few concerts in the late 1990s and early 2000s after the departure of original bassist Kyoko Kanazawa (Saito).

It's closer to Deja Vu than Ars Nova, but it's perfectly listenable.

Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 19:48
Only 3 songs under her belt . A beautiful voice and a huge prog fan, (she introduced me to OSI, Faust, and more back in 2006) Ann Martin Bernath. No autotune, I wish she would sing more. https://youtu.be/BdNwIiU0_6k?si=15AqmJ9DW16Ay3R5

Edited by Valdez1 - May 22 2024 at 19:54
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 20:22
Regarding contemporary progressive music and female artists that have solo careers, I like Rosalie Cunningham the most. Her music is a sort of vaudevillian-carnival-psychedelic-prog that incorporates influences from the original British progressive rock movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s but also showcases her unique musical innovation and personality, resulting in a sound that pays homage to various styles while creating something entirely new and distinctive. Cunningham’s music is full of dreamy atmospheres, lush instrumentation, and introspective lyrics that delve into themes of introspection, mysticism, and personal growth. She has released two excellent studio albums so far, of which my favourite is her debut in 2019 due to her fantastic blend of progressive rock, psychedelia, and folk-rock influences. The album showcases Rosalie Cunningham’s versatile vocal range, intricate songwriting, and musical arrangements that draw inspiration from various genres. The songs on the album feature a mix of haunting melodies, ethereal vocals, and dynamic instrumentals that create a unique and captivating listening experience.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 08:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hi,

So nice to hear this ... I call it the future of OUR classical music ... younger folks will likely be hearing this in various combinations and styles in 20/30 or 40 years ... absolutely lovely. It makes me appreciate the work by ELP even more, and how it was re-imagined by Rachel Flowers and now in somebody else's hands ... totally far out.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 08:13
It is Ruth Underwood's birthday today.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 08:58
Surprised no one's mentioned Henry Cow yet! They were 50% female during their later years and had a female singer!

I also recommend Uboa, Tricot, Ryoko Ono, Tenko Ueno, Domi, News From Babel, Oksana Linde, Risa Takeda and Paranoid Void, and if you're really desperate there's always that weirdo whose Bandcamp link is in my signature Tongue
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 09:31
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Surprised no one's mentioned Henry Cow yet! They were 50% female during their later years and had a female singer!

Mmmhhh!!!!... I'm not sure how long Georgie, Dagmar & Lindsey were all three together in the band, but that was when the Vevey Concert was filmed 

Only Lindsey remained for Western Culture in 79, though there was Annemarie 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 10:03
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Surprised no one's mentioned Henry Cow yet!

We were waiting on you!

(HC did get mentioned in the other prog-with-female-vocals thread.)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2024 at 06:53
One of my favourite bass players is Mohini Dey from India. Her interview with Rick Beato was something to watch, or I should say her playing during that interview was something to behold.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2024 at 09:48
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

One of my favourite bass players is Mohini Dey from India. Her interview with Rick Beato was something to watch, or I should say her playing during that interview was something to behold.

Indeed, she's a colossal talent.

Sebastianmoto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastianmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2024 at 14:35
Recent band Ebb are an excellent group of 5 women and 1 man. I saw them live at Nene Valley Rock Fest, and it seemed few people had heard of them; Even the organizer said they weren't performing at first, but someone else dropped out and they 'were the only band to actually complete the sign-up form.'
By the end of their performance, you could feel the impression that they had left on everyone.

They're yet to release anything studio based as far as I know, but they've got some live recordings on their youtube page that I'd recommend to anyone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>