Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Peter Gabriel solo songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efoman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 23:06
efoman2 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efoman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 23:08
Yeah. I never should have told her about dancing around and singing 'Intruder' in front of the mirror as a teenager. She has looked at me with an extra wrinkle in her forehead ever since.
efoman2 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efoman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 07:44
one last try

bump
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 08:54

Power of the Heart from Scratch My Back....wow!

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 09:26
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

#1 - The Family and the Fishing Net

then in no specific order...

Moribund the Burgermeister
Games Without Frontiers
And Through the Wire
On the Air
Slowburn
Intruder
Humdrum
White Shadow
Here Comes the Flood

this ..but I would add Modern Love to round out the ten and exchange Solsbury Hill for Wire.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 18 2013 at 09:26
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 09:36
Mother of Violence +9 others
Help me I'm falling!
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schizoidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 10:11
1. Games Without Frontiers
2. Growing Up
3. Shock the Monkey
4. Strawberry Fields Forever
5. Summertime
6. Not One of Us
7. No Self Control
8. I Don't Remember
9. Moribund the Burgermeister
10. Sledgehammer

11. Don't Give Up
12. Here Comes the Flood (piano and voice version)
13. Solsbury Hill
14. Cloudless
15. Intruder
16. Mercy Street
17. Humdrum

Making the useless useful 24/7.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 11:33
1. No Self Control
2. The Tower That Ate People
3. Wallflower
4. Humdrum
5. Secret World
6. Signal To Noise
7. The Rhythm Of The Heat
8. Lead A Normal Life
9. Solsbury Hill
10. Don't Give Up
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 16:19
Glad to see "Tower that Ate People," "Humdrum," "Mother of Violence," and "Strawberry Fields" getting some luvin'!Clap
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 08:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

#1 - The Family and the Fishing Net

then in no specific order...

Moribund the Burgermeister

Games Without Frontiers

And Through the Wire

On the Air

Slowburn

Intruder

Humdrum

White Shadow

Here Comes the Flood

this ..but I would add Modern Love to round out the ten and exchange Solsbury Hill for Wire.

What? No Sledghammer?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 06:08
 Games Without Frontiers
 Growing Up
 Shock the Monkey
 Sledgehammer
 Don't Give Up
 Here Comes the Flood 
 Solsbury Hill
.Tower that ate People
Mother of Violence
Strawberry Fields
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 07:12
Just to follow up on the tread starter's general thoughts on PG, and why he is not getting the attention you might expect. Compared to the respect he recives based on his Genesis outputs.

I think it all about the people comming to PA, most of them are either looking for 70's style prog. or they came from Metal.
PG's solo output on the other hand, is more in line with what became New Wave, and (later) very World Music inspired.

If you take Fripp's solo, (the not ambient parts) you get the same picture.
Exposure, A total masterpiece, showing the same meltpot of Prog/Punk/Wave influence, as PG II & III, get a sad
112 ratings.(Permanent waves 1980 get 1200+)
His wonderfull albums with David Sylvian, showcasing some of his best guitar work, get about 60 (studio) 50 (live).

Its just how thing are, Music that does not fit into the traditionel "prog" reference chart, most likely wont be very popular on PA, especialy if its not Hard Rock/Metal based music.

But dont forget, we are not all like that, so its still worth it to make a tread like this one  Thumbs Up
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 16:27
Personally I like the first 4 Gabriel albums and think they are excellent....imo the later ones did drift into a style that didn't interest me as much though there are very good tracks on all of them. But the 'cover's cd he did called Scratch My Back is simply not his forte  imho. It just isn't interesting to me in any way.
As far as Fripp and Sylvian's work together it is all good and I agree that Exposure is also excellent....in a Frippian way.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 16:56
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Just to follow up on the tread starter's general thoughts on PG, and why he is not getting the attention you might expect. Compared to the respect he recives based on his Genesis outputs.

I think it all about the people comming to PA, most of them are either looking for 70's style prog. or they came from Metal.
PG's solo output on the other hand, is more in line with what became New Wave, and (later) very World Music inspired.

Exposure, A total masterpiece, showing the same meltpot of Prog/Punk/Wave influence, as PG II & III, get a sad
His wonderfull albums with David Sylvian, showcasing some of his best guitar work, get about 60 (studio) 50 (live).

Its just how thing are, Music that does not fit into the traditionel "prog" reference chart, most likely wont be very popular on PA, especialy if its not Hard Rock/Metal based music.

But dont forget, we are not all like that, so its still worth it to make a tread like this one  Thumbs Up

Similarly Roger Waters I expect
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 20:08
Haven't had a Peter Gabriel binge in a while!
Off the top of my head..

In Your Eyes
Come Talk To Me
Mercy Street
Sledgehammer
Secret World
San Jacinto
His version of 'The Book of Love'
Sky Blue
Downside Up
Red Rain

Secret World Live is one of the best gigs ive ever seen. Amazing!
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 02:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Similarly Roger Waters I expect

Ya
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 02:25
Originally posted by TrickedTail TrickedTail wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I think people don't respond to his solo career because it isn't the archetype prog music he was making before. Unfortunately some people can only listen to that stuff or the music that emulates it to the point it's boring. 

I agree with the sentiment but do we really need to deride other prog fans? I mean, to 99% of the world everyone on this forum would be labelled a pretentious w**ker. Whether anyone prefers listening to Marillion or whoever over Peter Gabriel, then whatever, good for them.

It is pretty much like Call of Duty fans making fun of World of Warcraft fans. LOL

I have a hard time putting 10 down, I really love the work Gabriel has done since Genesis.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 23:06
Solsbury Hill

Here Comes The Flood

Down The Dolce Vita

Slowburn

Humdrum

Moribund The Burgermeister

On The Air 

Indigo

Family Snapshot

I Have the Touch

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 00:58

Personally I like the first 4 Gabriel albums and think they are excellent....imo the later ones did drift into a style that didn't interest me as much though there are very good tracks on all of them. But the 'cover's cd he did called Scratch My Back is simply not his forte  imho. It just isn't interesting to me in any way.
As far as Fripp and Sylvian's work together it is all good and I agree that Exposure is also excellent....in a Frippian way.
It is all down to personal taste and I have to agree. The first four albums are incredible, but So, Us and Up have some epic songs yet i also find the albums not as consistent ( Ovo excluded perhaps) and Passion gets huge accolades. As far as his recent dablings go, very poor IMO.The minimalist approach does not work and the scratch renditions are for the most part...noodlingsUnhappy

His live DVD's are exceptional viewing thanks goodness and well new material.....doubt it, like Waters, he has nothing to prove, but hey it would be nice sometimeSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 01:10

Personally I like the first 4 Gabriel albums and think they are excellent....imo the later ones did drift into a style that didn't interest me as much though there are very good tracks on all of them. (...)

Same here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>