Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are the most accessible prog rock albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 05:55
Rick Wakeman said "Sorry Radiohead, you're prog."
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 06:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

He did?
I agree with him. Big smileLOL
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 06:32
^^^ Meh! What does Wakeman know about prog..?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 08:22
I would say any prog that focuses mostly on shorter "typical" kinds of songs would be the first ones that should be mentioned. So that would mean a lot of crossover prog and neo prog. 

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 10:10
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Supertramp, Alan Parsons, Moody Blues, ELO and Kansas if they count as prog. I'd say Leftoverture is definitely a prog album and is accesible. 

The Wall is very accesible, more accesible than Dark Side that isn't as accesible as sometimes considered, Money aside. Although some would argue The Wall isn't prog. 

The Yes Album and Fragile are pretty accesible. Trilogy (ELP) is pretty accesible. Selling England by the Pound is also pretty accesible. Aqualung too. ITCOTCK and Red are accesible if you leave out Moonchild and Providence. Logically there's a high correlation between accesiblity and commercial success LOL

And yeah, neo-prog is pretty accesible alghough it wasn't very commercially succesfull aside from Marillion. 

Quite accurate. Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 10:11

When exactly did he say this? LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 10:24
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

When exactly did he say this? LOL

June 29th 2013, Independent interview
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 11:00
^Thanks, here's the quote:
"He added: "I know Radiohead say they aren't prog but, sorry chaps, you are, and it's brilliant."
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 16:34
I always remember a magazine article where Radiohead where compared to Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd. It was obvious they were prog as soon as Paranoid Android landed.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 22:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I always remember a magazine article where Radiohead where compared to Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd. It was obvious they were prog as soon as Paranoid Android landed.

Funny, because Radio Head always sounded like a 90's alt rock band vs prog to me.

I wouldn't classify something like Creep as progressive rock.

I certainly don't hear Yes or KC in their music, nor it's influence.

I also admittedly don't listen to much OF them; what I've heard, sounds like 90's rock to me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 05:04
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Funny, because Radio Head always sounded like a 90's alt rock band vs prog to me.

I also admittedly don't listen to much OF them; what I've heard, sounds like 90's rock to me.

If you are talking about The Bends then I agree but they took a massive leap with OK Computer. The KC influence in Paranoid Android is obvious to me. Airbag as well. There is a touch of Floyd in Karma Police to me as well.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 06:56

Nobody classifies something like Creep as progressive rock. But that's like saying you don't hear what's so progressive about Genesis based on a song from their debut album like... In Hiding or Am I Very Wrong? Radiohead has progressed as a band their whole career, and somehow managed to stay popular whether incorpoating pendereckian strings, prog, space rock, motoric, kraut, IDM, EDM etc... in their alternative rock

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 07:05
Funny how it has turned into a Radiohead thread.

I don't really know if they classify as prog or not, but who cares? A lot of people apparently...

If I had to use a label myself, I would probably choose art rock as the first one, and since I am a big art rock fan first of all, I of course dig Radiohead. I love how they combine relatively melodic music with sonic experimentation and avant-garde.

There is also clear inspiration from bands like Can, f.e. on an album like Kid A.
Progressive Enjoyer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progressive Enjoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 08:14
Anything by Supertramp (Especially Breakfast in America) and Duke + "...And Then There Were Three.." By Genesis
"You know what you are, you don't give a damn" Peter Gabriel
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2021 at 13:24
I'd say Supertramp, Floyd and maybe Camel & Eloy.
Renaissance & Marillion as well

However, going for Alan Parsons, Moody Blues, ELO, i wouldn't use them as a first approach if you want to introduce them to "prog" (cos they aren't really)... But for preparing the grounds to an introduction, to see if they might find something into that proggy direction... yes, they might be indicated
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 01:06

If you are talking about The Bends then I agree but they took a massive leap with OK Computer. The KC influence in Paranoid Android is obvious to me. Airbag as well. There is a touch of Floyd in Karma Police to me as well.

Got it! I'll have to take some time and delve a tad deeper.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Nobody classifies something like Creep as progressive rock. But that's like saying you don't hear what's so progressive about Genesis based on a song from their debut album like... In Hiding or Am I Very Wrong? Radiohead has progressed as a band their whole career, and somehow managed to stay popular whether incorpoating pendereckian strings, prog, space rock, motoric, kraut, IDM, EDM etc... in their alternative rock

I agree completely, hence me being eager to admit I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding Radio Head Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 04:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Interesting question. 
IQ - Ever

Wow!  I'm a huge fan, but Ever is accessible?!  Surely Are You Sitting Comfortably? would be more suitable as a nomination here?.....

Season's End and Holidays In Eden by Marillion maybe
Beautiful Scarlet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beautiful Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 04:36
I will die on this hill, Egg. They run the gamut in terms of what to expect from Progressive Rock and are a good starting point. On the flip side never use something “sh*tty” like Stubbs (some unoriginal band I love and show people all the time despite always getting VERY negative reactions)
Music Music Music
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 07:25
I always thought that Duke by Genesis was the perfect balance between prog and pop. For me, that is the probably the most accessible prog rock album. The album that preceded Duke, ...And Then There Were Three..., is also very accessible.

The two IQ albums with Paul Menel on vocals, Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably?, are accessible while still retaining IQ's progressive disposition. While I prefer everything that the band has done before and after those albums, they're still great.

Hounds of Love by Kate Bush, like Duke, is another album that encapsulates prog and pop all in one beautiful album.

Almost any album from Marillion could be included in this, as I've always seen them as having a pop element to their sound, from as early as the Fish days till now. The album that I chose for this discussion is Holidays In Eden, because I truly find it to be their most accessible album while still having progressive qualities. It's far from my favorite album from the band, but that doesn't diminish from its undeniable accessibility.

Almost any album from Peter Gabriel could also be included in this. It makes the most sense for me to go with his most critically acclaimed album, So.

Edited by Magog2112 - July 30 2023 at 07:27
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 07:44
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Interesting question. 
IQ - Ever

Wow!  I'm a huge fan, but Ever is accessible?!  Surely Are You Sitting Comfortably? would be more suitable as a nomination here?.....

Season's End and Holidays In Eden by Marillion maybe

Ever is super accessible as far as prog goes. In the very same genre you've got stuff like, I dunno, Eskaton - 4 Visions or Sax Ruins - Yawiquo.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123