1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.00%]
2 [4.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 00:48
Careful with That Axe, Eugene
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2022 at 12:00
Most of Floyd's deep tracks are excellent.  One fav not on the list is Mudmen, from the underrated Obscured By Clouds album

Edited by tdfloyd - October 23 2022 at 12:00
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2022 at 14:00
There are so many fantastic live versions of Embryo on numerous bootlegs from about 69-71 often moving into Cymbaline and then Careful... a truely amazing set of songs, about as good as Floyd got.

Another name for Careful with that Axe Eugene was 'Murderous Woman' (it appeared as that in the BBC sessions from 68/69)

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2022 at 21:42
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Most of Floyd's deep tracks are excellent.  One fav not on the list is Mudmen, from the underrated Obscured By Clouds album

I love Mudmen too. Perhaps one of their most overlooked deep cuts. I'm actually not sure Careful with that Axe should actually be considered a Deep Cut... not more so than any of the other live songs from Ummagumma.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 02:05
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

I love Mudmen too. Perhaps one of their most overlooked deep cuts. I'm actually not sure Careful with that Axe should actually be considered a Deep Cut... not more so than any of the other live songs from Ummagumma.

I wanted to put Mudmen in the poll, but considering that the song it's kinda like Burning Bridges part 2, I thought Burning bridges would do the trick. My bad then... Embarrassed

As for Careful with that Axe Eugene, some will know it, some won't. Fans of psychedelic Floyd love it, fans of Floyd making it big in the 70s, probably don't. 

I also put the Zabriskie Point version of the song. Tongue Worth checking out IMO. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2022 at 23:24
^ I don't recall Burning Bridges so well, but I don't remember finding it particularly similar to Mudmen... and indeed the one I find more memorable is the last one. I guess I should take the album and listen to both again.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 06:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Where the #!%^* is the Nile Song?

It's on the album More. 
I'll feature it when I make another PF poll, I promise! TongueLOL
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 07:40
Careful With That Axe, Eugene Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 07:57
Hi,

I've always thought that "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" was the best of all these, as visible in so many bootlegs, and I have to listen to them again (got find those boots now!!!!) because if I am not mistaken even the lyrics were changed now and then. And the Gong was extended a few more times.

The other piece, was "One Of These Days" that in Sept 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl in the splendor of the Quadraphonic Sound (not sure folks today know what this is and how it touches you ... !!! And they used it through The Wall, and then dropped it.) it was a slight windy day in Hollywood and you could hear the wind hitting the hills some a wee bit (if you ever heard it and were familiar with it) and the opening of the piece was extended to include those sounds and touches, which made for a longer introduction ... and it was far out ... let me tell you, specially with all those single notes going around your head and the place ... the echo of the notes went around several times ... I think Roger had fun extending that a lot!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 08:47
Coming to realise just how many Floyd songs I'm not familiar with. Seeing Aussie Pink Floyd at the weekend and they always play One Of These Days. That and Run Like Hell 'kill' as live tracks like nothing else!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123