Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborative music project ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 15:39
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I hope not, I've been crazy busy recently. Life happens, I keep meaning to add stuff to at least one of the songs

ditto for me!!

Not dead, just... 'coasting' :)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 07:23
Ping...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 20:37
Ping...
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 06:53
...reply  TTL=64 Big smile

I'm quite busy with my real job, at this moment, but sin case the project goes ahead, I'm sure I can find some spare time
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 11:18
^Ditto

We still need a vocalist I think
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 36 minutes ago at 22:26
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

^Ditto

We still need a vocalist I think

Hi,

Out of curiosity ... why a vocalist? You might find someone that reads poetry really well, and adds so much to the words, that makes it special. A "vocalist" only does the notes, and you hope they can pick things up and come together and believe the words, enough to convince us about it all ... that's asking a lot, specially if the person is an outsider, and in the situation here, lives in a different country ... well, it worked with Rachel Flowers doing Focus and other bands, but I think that is rare, and it was also very well rehearsed.

An example ... is someone trying to make it look like Jim M or Robert P. It's impossible, since how Jim worked was almost 100% poetry and the "acting" behind it is amazingly good ... you can tell they were film enthusiasts ... because almost all of their work is just like a film ... you can't miss it. Robert P., specially in his early days, was very much a fantasy for a lot of women, and he made it look like he would really participate with a lot of passion ... and you can not exactly duplicate that, because the "feel" is PERSONAL, and not canned, or acted out. 

There are some interesting examples, with various folks reading their material and sometimes adding to it ... Burroughs in Laurie Anderson is quite a treat, and if you read enough of his work, it is not exactly "different" from the way he writes. It has a very different and interesting flow. And later, most of it was taped, which was not as good as the originals. Another good example, is how NEKTAR has not been able to bring out the late Roye Albrighton  singing ... because it wasn't singing ... it was who he was and lived, and it was super personal in his experience. And at that point, it makes the effort to keep the band alive, interesting, but when hearing some of the things ... it's very sad ... the beauty of Roye's emotions and feeling is not there, and you could tell the words were about his heart.

And then there are the odd ones ... Amon Duul 2, uses anyone/everyone to say something and/or sing. The biggest constant was Chris Karrer, and his special delivery was completely "anti-lyrics" and it allowed for his attitude, that often comes out as cynicism, but it isn't ... it's a commentary. But when you hear things like Apocaliptyc Bore, you wonder where the vision comes from because the way the song is presented is way beyond anything, and staying with him did not seem to be a problem all the way to the ending duet with guitar and violin. Likewise, Renate is a problem that many don't like ... she comes off as vindictive and vicious, and then in another piece is smooth and soft and sad. And you can see a bit of the feminism in her words ... I think that she had to fight the band for being able to sing a bit more, but there are times when she does, and it is so strong, that it is impossible to not believe it ... but  the hard part here? NONE of these things are "conventional" in any shape or form, and that was what AD2 was all about ... but the words that one time appeared to be "psychedelic" all of a sudden are very real, and stand up ... because the band makes the words come alive ... it's not about "singing" ... it's about the expression.

The scary side for me, is how folks are so scared of using something different ... and are so tied up to a commercial standard for what music is, or a song should be. Give me some lyrics, and I will give you some ideas of how they can be interpreted, which would help the music identify the whole thing better, instead of it being second rate lyrics on top of a song, that has nothing to do with the lyrics, except for one person's idea. Trying to add a reality to that is not a good idea ... it usually falls flat.

A small note ... about acting. Peter Brook wrote many books on directing and working with actors. He toured King Lear for like 300+ performances, and during that one repetitive part in a soliloquy ... he says that Keith Michell never said it the same way over the course of the performances ... and that suggests that Keith was really good at being attuned to the MOMENT, and it wasn't about the words/lyrics ... it was about the feeling coming alive ... 

I simply do not think that anyone creating lyrics for a song ... can even imagine that insanity! Heck, might even try to get a 10 year old to do the words, or try to sing it ... it maybe magic in the end!

Sorry ... not trying to hijack the thread. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567