Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

class in progressive rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: class in progressive rock
    Posted: February 02 2022 at 02:23
Hi, I'm a PhD student in popular music studies, now I am concentrating on "class in Progressive rock". Smile

According to some literature(such as Edward Macan, Bill Martin, Paul Stump, John Covach etc.), progressive rock was mostly composed of middle-class, white musicians whose goal was to blend high culture with low culture. But in the end, it seemed  that mainstream critics still regard progressive rock as a form of popular music rather than classical music. (I see little mention of progressive rock in the history of classical music.)

So I wonder is there any literature you can recommend for related topics? 
Thank you very much Star
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 02:29
High culture and low culture? What is that and who classifies culture like that? I would avoid any writing that classifies music and culture in such terms. Wtf moment for me. Unhappy
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 03:00
Yep, you think there is high or low class on cultures all over the world, right?
Flash Allen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 03:33
Sorry, maybe I made a mistake in expression. What I said is "high culture, low culture" is not a judgment of value, or "elite culture, grassroots culture" might be more appropriate(the two are not diametrically opposed). Of course, these above are  just my hypothesis for now, what I want to do is to test, adjust, and perhaps overturn this hypothesis.

In my subsequent research, I will explore what is elite culture and grassroots culture, how progressive rock is associated with culture and class, and why mainstream critics at that time had a huge change in their attitude towards progressive rock (especially after the rise of punk).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 03:42
Originally posted by Flash Allen Flash Allen wrote:

Sorry, maybe I made a mistake in expression. What I said is "high culture, low culture" is not a judgment of value, or "elite culture, grassroots culture" might be more appropriate(the two are not diametrically opposed). Of course, these above are  just my hypothesis for now, what I want to do is to test, adjust, and perhaps overturn this hypothesis.

In my subsequent research, I will explore what is elite culture and grassroots culture, how progressive rock is associated with culture and class, and why mainstream critics at that time had a huge change in their attitude towards progressive rock (especially after the rise of punk).

There was a change of attitude only because new trends to be milked for money appeared. Also many prog bands deserved a break that was not given to them (read about Tormato and Llove Beach especially, also Giant for a Day). Rise of punk did not kill prog, labels and the mainstream media did. 

Elite culture and grassroots culture is just as bad. Elite culture? That reeks of arrogance. I do not understand these classifications. Second wtf moment of the day. 

Edited by Cristi - February 02 2022 at 03:47
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 03:48
^ We all need some low brow entertainment of the Love Beach variety every now and again, or maybe we don't. Tongue

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 04:37
@Flash Allen: I can't answer your question as I don't know relevant literature, but I can see the interest in your project. What I think would be needed is some empirical research - is it true that love for prog rock is/was much stronger in a white middle class (male? high school educated?) population than in other segments, compared to other musical genres? Some literature on this may exist. This may also differ by country and age (it may be hard to collect enough data to nail this down, even with more budget than you probably have). If you make this distinction between let's say popular and more academic culture, is there a specific feel among prog lovers about this? You have already experienced through the previous answers that this is a can of worms. You can easily annoy people by using problematic terms here (although I doubt that this is exclusive to prog). One thing you could do is to start threads here and in other music forums (not about prog) about this distinction, how important classical music is to people, and related topics, and evaluate the difference (or not) in reaction that you get (better be honest and say that this is your aim if you start such things).

Edited by Lewian - February 02 2022 at 04:44
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 04:47

The concepts of high art and low art have been around for thousands of years (with the ancient Greeks and one also finds concepts of it in the "far east" and other places I'm sure). It wouldn't have been a luxury with more than one course I took in university not to spend any time reading up on that had I wished to do well. It was actually of interest to me and I did delve into that in essays (which related to film and literature, not music, although I did touch on that too come to think of it when I mentioned Alex's (of A Clockwork Orange) love of Beethoven in one paper and contrasted it with perceived "low art" and working class aspects.

That blend of high culture and low culture has been referenced in regards to art rock (sometimes used synonymously with progressive rock and with art pop).

I wrote this in a pop music topic at one time: "...some art pop artists, progressive pop artists, experimental pop artists, or avant pop artists (all can be conflated) sought to deconstruct pop music, to marry the popular with the esoteric, to elevate pop from its lowly roots to a serious art-form, or to create a dialectic between the low art and high art, a sort of conversation and synthesis of two worlds. Some of it is a celebration of the low, some of it is a commentary on the low arts and popular culture. Some is very conceptual. Some artists tried to buck the trends, played with genre bending, form and structure, and even set itself up against the mainstream and the industrial nature of pop manufacture, one might say Pop in Opposition (PIO/ Avant Pop)...." I was referencing/ remembering various things I've read over the years there with my own thoughts. I could substitute Prog there methinks.

From wikipedia on art rock: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_rock It uses Ellen Willis:

"From the early sixties … there was a counter-tradition in rock and roll that had much more in common with high art—in particular avant-garde art—than the ballyhooed art-rock synthesis [progressive rock]; it involved more or less consciously using the basic formal canons of rock and roll as material (much as pop artists used mass art in general) and refining, elaborating, playing off that material to produce … rockand-roll art. While art rock was implicitly based on the claim that rock and roll was or could be as worthy as more established art forms, rock-and-roll art came out of an obsessive commitment to the language of rock and roll and an equally obsessive disdain for those who rejected that language or wanted it watered down, made easier … the new wave has inherited the counter-tradition.[14]"

I once asked, Speaking of art, would Prog be considered high art, low art, or mid-art? Or is it, perhaps, better to think, "It's only prog rock and roll, but I like it?" Never mind, I'm thinking of "stoner rock" -- now that's "high", but is it art? .

I think that some progressive rock artists took their music very seriously and did hope to elevate to so-called high art, to be taken seriously as art music (sophisticated), but I tend to look at it more that they drew on high-art music while still being rooted in popular music. Prog is a fusion of genres and influences with a rock (popular or low art) foundation. It has not been seen at the "level" of academic music or art music by serious" critics and academics generally, I believe -- not taken so seriously. I think RIO/Avant prog often comes closest to so-called modern classical music (Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Aranis....)

I wish I had good references to give you. Good luck with it, and welcome to PA. I hope you can find some time to visit here casually. :) I am interested in your project.

Edited by Logan - February 02 2022 at 05:38
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 18:34
Blending high culture with low culture was the aim of the post-modern movement. In a sense you could say that progressive rock was the first post-modern music genre. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 19:01
Thank you for all of your responses.

Again, I apologize for my choice of words (these terms are just my current ideas and may be adjusted in my subsequent research).

Indeed, as mentioned above, these issues in prog are complex and difficult to articulate. What I would like to do is to explore these questions from the perspective of a researcher. I hope to present a more objective picture of these issues.(I'll try my best in following study though it's pretty difficult).

Thank you again for your reminder and suggestionEmbarrassed

Edited by Flash Allen - February 02 2022 at 19:28
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 19:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The concepts of high art and low art have been around for thousands of years (with the ancient Greeks and one also finds concepts of it in the "far east" and other places I'm sure). It wouldn't have been a luxury with more than one course I took in university not to spend any time reading up on that had I wished to do well. It was actually of interest to me and I did delve into that in essays (which related to film and literature, not music, although I did touch on that too come to think of it when I mentioned Alex's (of A Clockwork Orange) love of Beethoven in one paper and contrasted it with perceived "low art" and working class aspects.

That blend of high culture and low culture has been referenced in regards to art rock (sometimes used synonymously with progressive rock and with art pop).

I wrote this in a pop music topic at one time: "...some art pop artists, progressive pop artists, experimental pop artists, or avant pop artists (all can be conflated) sought to deconstruct pop music, to marry the popular with the esoteric, to elevate pop from its lowly roots to a serious art-form, or to create a dialectic between the low art and high art, a sort of conversation and synthesis of two worlds. Some of it is a celebration of the low, some of it is a commentary on the low arts and popular culture. Some is very conceptual. Some artists tried to buck the trends, played with genre bending, form and structure, and even set itself up against the mainstream and the industrial nature of pop manufacture, one might say Pop in Opposition (PIO/ Avant Pop)...." I was referencing/ remembering various things I've read over the years there with my own thoughts. I could substitute Prog there methinks.

From wikipedia on art rock: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_rock It uses Ellen Willis:

"From the early sixties … there was a counter-tradition in rock and roll that had much more in common with high art—in particular avant-garde art—than the ballyhooed art-rock synthesis [progressive rock]; it involved more or less consciously using the basic formal canons of rock and roll as material (much as pop artists used mass art in general) and refining, elaborating, playing off that material to produce … rockand-roll art. While art rock was implicitly based on the claim that rock and roll was or could be as worthy as more established art forms, rock-and-roll art came out of an obsessive commitment to the language of rock and roll and an equally obsessive disdain for those who rejected that language or wanted it watered down, made easier … the new wave has inherited the counter-tradition.[14]"

I once asked, Speaking of art, would Prog be considered high art, low art, or mid-art? Or is it, perhaps, better to think, "It's only prog rock and roll, but I like it?" Never mind, I'm thinking of "stoner rock" -- now that's "high", but is it art? .

I think that some progressive rock artists took their music very seriously and did hope to elevate to so-called high art, to be taken seriously as art music (sophisticated), but I tend to look at it more that they drew on high-art music while still being rooted in popular music. Prog is a fusion of genres and influences with a rock (popular or low art) foundation. It has not been seen at the "level" of academic music or art music by serious" critics and academics generally, I believe -- not taken so seriously. I think RIO/Avant prog often comes closest to so-called modern classical music (Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Aranis....)

I wish I had good references to give you. Good luck with it, and welcome to PA. I hope you can find some time to visit here casually. :) I am interested in your project.

Thank you very much for your understanding and detailed reply.Heart

As a fan of prog, these are the questions I've always wondered. Now I finally have the opportunity to confront it head-on in my doctoral thesis -- as a researcher. I'm not trying to make a value judgment for prog, but rather to show if any of this is real, how it was made, and why.

By the way, I wonder what is the title of your article on Beethoven mentioned in the first paragraph? I'd like to refer to it~Clap
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 08:02
Ever read Simon (brother of Fred) Frith's 'Sociology of Rock' (1978)?  It deals with exactly this issue.  I recall the fighting between Yes and SAHB fans at Loftus Road in 1975 as being class induced but maybe that was due to an over-zealous journalist... Good luck with the research!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 08:24
Flash Allen: "But in the end, it seemed that mainstream critics still regard progressive rock as a form of popular music rather than classical music. (I see little mention of progressive rock in the history of classical music.)"

That is because most, if not all, progressive rock is not on the same level of the well-known classical composers. Really not even close. I make my living as a music teacher and I have a masters degree in theory and composition. Some progressive rock carries window dressing similar to classical music, but there is nothing in the world of prog rock that equals the works of people like, Stravinsky, Mozart, Schoenberg, Bach etc.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flash Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2022 at 02:09
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Ever read Simon (brother of Fred) Frith's 'Sociology of Rock' (1978)?  It deals with exactly this issue.  I recall the fighting between Yes and SAHB fans at Loftus Road in 1975 as being class induced but maybe that was due to an over-zealous journalist... Good luck with the research!

Thank you very much,I'll refer it 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flash Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2022 at 02:12
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Flash Allen: "But in the end, it seemed that mainstream critics still regard progressive rock as a form of popular music rather than classical music. (I see little mention of progressive rock in the history of classical music.)"

That is because most, if not all, progressive rock is not on the same level of the well-known classical composers. Really not even close. I make my living as a music teacher and I have a masters degree in theory and composition. Some progressive rock carries window dressing similar to classical music, but there is nothing in the world of prog rock that equals the works of people like, Stravinsky, Mozart, Schoenberg, Bach etc.

Thank you for your advice. Recently, I have made some new discoveries in this research: the change of mainstream critics' attitude towards progressive rock at that time may have less to do with music itself and more to do with social factors, so I may consider discourse analysis of them later
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 12:39
Have you heard any of the 4 albums by the Japanese string quartet The Morgaua Quartet, who otherwise record 'serious music' albums? Possibly not, so find the Denon Records catalogue. This band name was referred to here on PA a decade or so ago and turned out to be worth following. They demonstrate that with good arrangements, progressive rock compositions can be 'high art', whatever that is. In their repertoire, The Moragua Quartet, have played Yes, Krimson, ELP, Pink Floyd, etc. They are not the only ones, I have others string quartets interpretations of Kraftwerk, Rush and Mahavishnu Orchestra. As I recent wrote elsewhere jazz musicians are very happy to raid the progressive rock song book: Brad Mehldau's energetic retake of 'Tom Sawyer' being the case in point.... also previously attacked by the Bad Plus.
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2022 at 09:12
Occasionally you find these diagrams on the web, which may or may not help. This one is approx 20 years old:See the source image
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2022 at 11:32
Definitely Listening To The Future by Bill Martin. He seems to take a very sociological approach.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2022 at 03:34
It's interesting that you mention discourse analysis.  I was just getting into prog rock as punk appeared and the dominant discourse, in the UK at least, came from music journalists (Melody Maker, NME, Sounds etc) who 'championed' the (largely illusory) working class origins of the punk bands and pitted them against the progressive acts.  Although the book focuses on the band Henry Cow, Ben Piekut's book 'The World is a Problem' touches upon the politics of music in the 1970s and the context from which it derived (recession, rising unemployment, etc.)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2022 at 22:41
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

What do you mean by equals? Do you mean nothing in the world of prog is as good as those composers? Because if that's what you mean I think that's a silly claim to make and at any rate one I verily disagree with. Do you mean something less divisive perhaps, like nothing in the world of prog really accurately captures and adds to the rich and beautiful language of these composers that helped inspire it?  I think that's a much easier claim to make, as most prog definitely likes to take bits and pieces form various things and mish mash them together in its own way, not usually caring about the syntax and grammar of the languages it borrows from in the process.

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - April 16 2022 at 22:42
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>