Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two symphonic prog epics from 1974.

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which track do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [35.71%]
18 [64.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two symphonic prog epics from 1974.
    Posted: May 03 2024 at 22:33
These two symphonic prog epics also turn 50 this year. Both are phenomenal, with the fact that one, from Focus, is widely celebrated (not unjustifiably), while the other is somewhat underestimated and often overlooked. That's also a reason why I included the "Credo" suite from Refugee in this poll, although I'm aware that "Hambourger Concerto" is the absolute front-runner.

Refugee "Credo"

Refugee was a short-lived sympho-rock trio from London. Swiss ex-Yes keyboard player Patrick Moraz was accompanied by ex-members of The Nice: Lee Jackson on electric guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar, bass, electric cello, and lead vocals, and Brian Davison on drums and percussion. The Refugee's self-titled, only album was recorded in early 1974 at ART Studios in Geneva, in Patrick Moraz's native Switzerland, and was released in March 1974 on Charisma Records.

Of the album's two epic tracks, "Credo" is one. It's a powerful 18-minute work of art. Eight breathtaking passages of orchestral splendour and ecstasy comprise the epic music, which is truly amazing and must be heard. Jackson, whose singing on this record I personally like, was the author of the lyrics, and Moraz wrote the music. With magnificent keyboards that have propelled symphonic rock in all its majesty, it's an excellent way to end the album. "Credo" further demonstrates why Moraz is among the greatest progressive keyboardists of all time and why he ought to be acknowledged and given more credit for his extraordinary abilities as a composer and performer. It perfectly clarifies why Yes invited him to take Wakeman's place.

Focus "Hamburger Concerto"

Focus is without a doubt the most renowned Dutch group that is well-known outside of the Netherlands out of all the groups that fused rock and classical music components in the 1970s. This band's distinctive sound and style of playing have sparked interest around the globe; they were especially accepted in the U.S. The band's two primary players were ingenious guitarist Jan Akkerman and talented keyboardist, flautist, and singer Thijs Van Leer. Focus was the epitome of Dutch progressive music in the 1970s, playing then-fashionably and truly creative sympho-rock with sparkling guitars, keyboards, and flutes. 

Recorded in January–March 1974 at Olympic Sound Studios in London and released in April of the same year on Polydor and Atco, "Hamburger Concerto" is the band's fourth studio album. In the UK charts, it reached number twenty. 
In my opinion, Focus' "Hamburger Concerto" is their greatest work to date; other albums obviously don't have the same spark and intensity as this masterwork. "Variations on a Theme by Haydn" by Johannes Brahms actually serves as the basis for the 20-minute-long title tune; the composition also includes the first two verses of the Dutch Christmas carol "O Kerstnacht, schoner dan de dagen."
The interaction between Van Leer and Akkerman on this masterpiece tune is simply amazing. Van Leer lays down some incredible organ and synthesiser work, while Akkerman's guitar displays the influence of flamenco, which gives a special Mediterranean charm to this great track. Unquestionably a symphonic prog classic, "Hamburger Concerto" is one of those exceptional works that masterfully combines incredible musicianship, originality, melody, and even comedy into a cohesive one-piece.

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 01:38
Focus - Hamburger Concerto Smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 05:32
I like both, voted Refugee to keep the balance even :-)
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 06:20
I'll have a McDonalds with fries (not chips) although there's barely a burger's width between the two choices. Smile

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 07:05
Cast my vote for Credo. A very overlooked British prog epic on par with all those classics by the likes of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Graaf, Tull et al.

The songwriting is really solid and Patric Moraz showcases here IMHO the best keyboard playing in his entire career in terms of dexterity and proficiency; much much superior to his instrumental input on Relayer.

Lee Jackson's no vocal chameleon and his distinctive voice and limited range wasn't really suited for every type of music. But, in the case of Credo, Jackson's poor technique can almost pass off as "theatrical vocals", and thus it's strangely fitting.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 07:34
Hamburger Concerto. I've been waiting for years for the Hot Dog Concerto sequel.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 08:19
love both but Hamburger is their apex. But agree Refugee album is underrated 

(On another note an older guy I really like the jazzy Mother Focus listen to it a lot- but not the follow up to Hamburger that was expected-)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 09:05
Refugee
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 09:54
can't really vote as I've not heard the Refugee, but I do like the Hamburger...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 03:13
Refugee for this poll although I like Focus a lot (especially the album Moving Waves). Hamburger Concerto also features the British drummer Colin Allen. He is more in the Carl Palmer mould which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think for Focus Pierre Van Der Linden was the better fit, so I tend to prefer the 2 earlier albums.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2024 at 05:47
I'm voting for Focus on this one, though both are quite good.

Edited by Manuel - May 06 2024 at 13:28
CameronWebb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CameronWebb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 23:59
Both are my favorite.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 00:42
Focus
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
 Post Reply Post Reply