Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To meet the 50th anniversary of Wish You Were Here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To meet the 50th anniversary of Wish You Were Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To meet the 50th anniversary of Wish You Were Here
    Posted: April 20 2024 at 04:16

Unquestionably, "The Dark Side of the Moon" is Pink Floyd's most iconic and best-selling record, but in my opinion, "Wish You Were Here" is even a better album than TDStoM. Since "Wish You Were Here" lacks needless experimenting and fillers, it's perhaps Pink Floyd's most consistent album overall. The album is a masterwork of evocative, ambient rock music. 

For Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here," packed in one of the best Hipgnosis-designed sleeves ever, represented the pinnacle of their creative output. Of course, "Animals" may be a more "progressive" Pink Floyd album, but the enigmatic WYWH is absolutely tremendous. David Glimour's divine guitar and Rick Wright's atmospheric keyboards “paint” music. A colourful yet melancholic, summer and sunny yet dreamy and wistful album.

Atmospheric, fair-energising, and really inspiring, bluesy "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is divided into two sections that maintain an abrasive, nearness throughout. This song's melody begins to rise gradually, taking eight minutes to fully develop the atmosphere and temperament before the cathartic release of the entire refrain. The long vocal part where Waters sings his lyrics is sublime and beautiful before it goes into the big finale, the highlight of which is the saxophone solo, which is a mysterious and amazing moment.
"Have a Cigar" (sung by Roy Harper) and "Welcome to the Machine" (my favourite song from the album) are each dreamy art rock masterpieces but also hazily comedians that lock in a melodic signpost on Pink Floyd's later commercial victory. 
Because of its melody and atmosphere, the title track remains one of the most beautiful and moving acoustic songs in rock music in general. The beginning portion of "Wish You Were Here" opens with a subdued acoustic guitar intro that sets up Mason's entrance. His subtle yet impactful drumming adds another level of rhythmic complexity to the song. As the song progresses, it becomes increasingly clear how Mason uses his drum rhythms to build and release tension.

At that point, we closed with another amplified dosage of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond."  

"Wish You Were Here" is an album devoted to the memory of Pink Floyd's founding creative force from the band's 60s psychedelic era, Syd Barrett; thus, Rick Wright, with his keyboards, was allowed more creative latitude to craft the record's sad moods and longings. Seasoned with fantastic yet well-moderate studio effects that seem refreshing even today, "Wish You Were Here" is an astonishing collection of purely amazing songs.
The album will be 50 years old next year. 

Post your opinions and discuss.

Edited by Moyan - April 20 2024 at 05:29
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 04:57
Hey Svettie,

Nice of you to point out the only picture that's changed (been censored) over the years.

Indeed the naked women behind the red veil (symbolizing the wind - the element Air >> difformed picture frame) has been modified so that one can't see the body over it since the 90's.

BTW, the frontcover symolizes the Fire element (with the burnt cardboard frame) and the back cover symbolizes Earth element (sand seeping through the crack in the frame), while the Water element leaks through the hole in the cardboard frame of the lyric/credit sleeve. The same four elements symbolized on the sticker with the two hands shaking. 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 05:27
Its amazing to me how timeless the album feels all these years later as opposed to other PF albums. Shine On is still magnificent with its blend of blues and jazz thrown in.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 21:33
Welcome To The Machine is one of the best singalong prog tracks. Rick Wright is the star on this album. His synths are so full, warm and full of bright colour. Quite extraordinary. J M Jarre's Oxygene perhaps surpassed it but there was nothing like this in 1975.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 13:15
Yes, it really is the best Pink Floyd album. It's never been specifically stated, but I'm convinced they were trying to recapture the ambient atmosphere of this album when they put together The Endless River, post-Rick.

Regarding the "four elements" theme, has anyone considered:

Water = Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Air/Wind = Welcome to the Machine
Fire = Have a Cigar
Earth = Wish You Were Here 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 19:04
I definitley like Wish you were Here over Dark Side. My favourite album ever, actually.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 08:51
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Fire = Have a Cigar

outside the fact that Fire is useful to smoke a cigar, I don't see the link

How do you figure? 
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 08:59
"Lacks needless experimenting and fillers?"

Some of us LOVE all the excess experimenting and fillers as possible

It's called imagine. Creativity.

I love Wish You Were Here but not because of its simplicity but because of its ingenuity.

BTW there are plenty of production tricks on the album so best stick to cafe folk.

(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'879f2ec218f52364',t:'MTcxNDA1NzAxNi44NjkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 10:20

Fire = Have a Cigar

Interesting take here! I've been listening to this masterpiece since I can remember and I've never thought or heard about this theory. Although I'd say Air/Wind would be Wish You Were Here and Earth would be Welcome to the machine. 
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 10:53
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Fire = Have a Cigar

How do you figure? 

I've owned and loved the album for almost 40 years, and I've always wondered why the "four elements" theme figured so prominently in the album's packaging if it had nothing to do with the music and lyrics. Somewhere along the line, I somehow formulated (without any "foreign substances") that there must be a connection between the four song titles and the four elements, and came up with the above. To spell it all out would make a ridiculously long-winded post that would be laughingly dismissed as just someone's "personal interpretation". Let's just say it's nowhere near as nutty as the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz theory.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 22:52
I tried to do similar things with ELP's Trilogy album. Endless Enigma Pt1, Fugue, Endless Enigma Pt2 is a 'trilogy'. Then you have the American country/cowboy stylings of From The Beginning, The Sheriff and Hoedown. The title track is another Trilogy so its a Trilogy of Trilogies. Unfortunately it falls apart as Living Sin and Abaddon's Bolero just don't fit. Just pointing this out as an example of torturous 'over thinking' Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 04:15

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Fire = Have a Cigar

How do you figure? 

I've owned and loved the album for almost 40 years, and I've always wondered why the "four elements" theme figured so prominently in the album's packaging if it had nothing to do with the music and lyrics. 

mmmhhh!!!!... IMHO, one shouldn't read too much into it in this case.Wink

Hypgnosis' great-themed projects abounded and were proposed to other bands if not accepted by the original artiste it was proposed to.

- Already the WYWH pictures themselves, only two of them can apply to the music: the burning handshake (both to WttM and HaC tracks) and the back cover (the disc being Floyd's and its absence-theme for SOY & WYWH tracks >> but even that could've been adapted with Zep's Icarus-image Swan Song label). 
- FTM, that back cover seems right out of Bad Company's Desolation Angel shots (big white frames helping of course). 
- As for the other WYWH piccies, the Diver and Red Veil pictures don't seem to have any link, though one could really stretch it (diving in drugs) and wind noises >> but that would be more suited to One Of These Days or Echoes.
- As for the "Handshake spaceship"  sticker, which also became the label of the vinyl with different colours, I'm +/- sure it came after the blind black wrap decision and it was also applied on the disc itself. 

I'm not saying that Storm and Auby proposed the WYWH project to some other band before-hand, but had Floyd turned it down, I'm sure Zeppelin would've picked it up the next year instead of the crummy Presence concept (another white-framed project). 

Of coursed they (Hypgnosis) couldn't have placed Tormato (the Yes Tor thing) to Genesis or Zep, but one can easily imagine GFTO triple-fold artwork adapted to Floyd or Genesis albums>> less likely to UFO or 10CC, though. I could see Tormato's idea to UFO, though. 

Edited by Sean Trane - April 26 2024 at 04:20
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply