Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Focus 12: Early July

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focus 12: Early July
    Posted: May 17 2024 at 02:57
“How beautiful life can be when a band plays so easily" Focus will release album number 12 in July (msn.com)

A little write up from Jerry Ewing regarding Focus' forthcoming Studio '12' which I believe has been pushed back a couple of months, to July. Anyone here interested?
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 13:04

Yes, I will absolutely get the CD. Will soon see the band live as well :) 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 13:25
Me too; quite looking forward to it... have been playing 'X' this week to get myself in the mood.
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 02:05

A "trailer" of the new album has been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPLythJCipE

I'm cathcing Focus live tomorrow night! Big smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 06:36

Hi,

I miss Jan ... with the band ... I really do ... his solo stuff is nice, but his stuff with the band was better. But if this is Thijs' band, so be it ... I likely will pass ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 17:42
The single 'Fjord Focus' has been released as a taster. Quite nice and heavy sound.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 23:43
^^ that was quite nice Rich, thanks.. I enjoyed X quite a bit, but found 11 a bit too mid-tempo samey; I hope there is a little more variation on this one...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 00:45

I saw Focus live in Copenhagen yesterday evening! The four of them are incredibly good musicians and they were in very good form. I'm very glad I went, and I can definitely recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

The set list was a bit "safe" imo. They opened with Focus I and closed with Focus III, and of course they played their big hits Hocus Pocus, House of the King, and Sylvia, as well as Eruption. Nothing at all from the upcoming record, they newest music they played was Focus 7.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 01:15
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

The set list was a bit "safe" imo. They opened with Focus I and closed with Focus III, and of course they played their big hits Hocus Pocus, House of the King, and Sylvia, as well as Eruption. Nothing at all from the upcoming record, they newest music they played was Focus 7.

I tend to think its a great shame when bands do this; I for one would want to hear the newer material live; Focus X in particular is a very good album. Surely the reason for their present tour is to promote 12, so not to play anything from it???
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 01:35
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I tend to think its a great shame when bands do this; I for one would want to hear the newer material live; Focus X in particular is a very good album. Surely the reason for their present tour is to promote 12, so not to play anything from it???

Yeah, I agree. I would have liked to hear something from the upcoming album. Maybe they will incorporate songs from Focus 12 in their set list when the album is actually released.

Anyway, I have now pre-ordered the new album.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 07:23

Yeah, I agree. I would have liked to hear something from the upcoming album. Maybe they will incorporate songs from Focus 12 in their set list when the album is actually released.

Hi,

Very sad to hear this ... but I wonder how much it specifies that most record companies think that the fans are a bunch of nobodies that can't appreciate anything new well enough ... well, given that this is also seen here on PA when a list is shown ... too many old hats in the mix, kinda make it more difficult for many of us to go appreciate and enjoy something new and different. 

A lot of it, has to do with some of the listening habits ... I wonder ... it's still touch and needle (how we called it in those days), and if the "sound" is not FAMILIAR, it seems that the listening kinda slows down and ends.

Based on reading this, I sincerely doubt that I will see this ... I don't want Eruption version 49 yet again, specially without Guy Guden singing along! But not trying to show/help the new product? Does the band actually believe in their new material? Doesn't sound like it, or someone made the call not to play any of it!

Edited by moshkito - May 31 2024 at 07:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply