Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much time is important in music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 14:31
The old pond- 
a frog jumps in,
sound of water.

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 14:36
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

The longer the work, the more skilled the artist needs to be.

I did not know that.

I'd actually put it the other way as well. Producing something great with little is even more difficult. Works of average length (4 minute songs, 2 hour movies, 200 page novels) are generally where the laziest artists are (although exceptions always exist of course). 
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 15:04
Add another "Song length has no correlation to the quality of the music" vote.

It's not anything I pay the slightest bit of attention to with respect to considering checking out an album.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 18:06
All options for quality and sound are on the table, I'll grant. But I definitely use length and mixture of length as a cue for what I might be interested in. I also have a lot more tolerance and genuine interest in extended improvisations that some people might call noodling. Some of Henry Kaiser's work, Garden of Memory for instance, has one long guitar improv stretching over a whole CD with a total length of about an hour and ten minutes. And that is only one among five total discs in the box, each with their own extended improvs. Great stuff.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Kaucz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:41
Third from Soft Machine is one of my favorite albums, but i like the Volume Two. They are totally opposites in music time. Surely it is not only the music size that matters.

The important thing is the music last as the need to take to show its meaning. And do not try to make it too short because you want to be successful on the radio, or too long simply because they want to make an epic. Balance is the key.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:43
Originally posted by Kaucz Kaucz wrote:

Third from Soft Machine is one of my favorite albums, but i like the Volume Two. They are totally opposites in music time. Surely it is not only the music size that matters.

The important thing is the music last as the need to take to show its meaning. And do not try to make it too short because you want to be successful on the radio, or too long simply because they want to make an epic. Balance is the key.

That sums it up pretty well actually. Pursue the Aristotelian mean between deficiency and excess. As long as the song calls for, no more, no less. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 15:30

Depends on the song. I could listen to Strong As Sampson by Procol Harum if it was 5 times the length. But it's only about 4 minutes. So, I just push repeat on the remote.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 10:23
I'm a huge prog fan, of course (or I wouldn't bother posting here). 

But I'm a punk fan, too.

I'm a fan of a lot of different genres.

Probably any prog fan who thinks that song lengths are important isn't also a punk fan.  Although it wouldn't be surprising if there weren't a significant percentage of folks who are both prog and punk fans.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 10:36
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Although it wouldn't be surprising if there weren't a significant percentage of folks who are both prog and punk fans.
I also have to count myself among the rare prog & punk fans. Though I agree that the two genres are hardly compatible LOL. Also, didn't punk develop as a counter-reaction to prog which was believed to be "the anithesis of rock n' roll"?
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 10:38
I can certainly enjoy songs of any length, but it just so happens that the overwhelming majority of my favourite songs tend to be longer. A few months ago when I made my own top prog songs list, all of my top 20 except for two tracks was 8 minutes or longer, and all but one from the top 10 was 10 minutes or longer.

While song length doesn't necessarily have any bearing on quality, longer song lengths do allow for more development and variation, and larger climaxes, which I'm sure is the main reason why the long epics are almost universally more popular than the shorter interludes. 

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 10:40
^ Completely agree.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 11:02
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Also, didn't punk develop as a counter-reaction to prog which was believed to be "the anithesis of rock n' roll"?
I think that's largely a myth or a "narrative," and partially for marketing purposes.  It's more that punk simply grew out of 60s garage rock by way of bands like the Stooges and the NY Dolls.  And bands like the Ramones had a huge love for late 50s/early 60s rock, rockabilly, etc.

A number of punk, post-punk, punk-associated etc. artists have some progressive tendencies, and punk fans are often fans of bands like Can, Faust, This Heat, Throbbing Gristle, etc.--they just wouldn't call any of the stuff they're a fan of "progressive (rock)"  --it's at least as uncool to like progressive rock in the punk community as it is to like punk in the progressive rock community.

Edited by Terrapin Station - October 14 2016 at 11:03
Kaucz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 14:59
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

I'm a huge prog fan, of course (or I wouldn't bother posting here). 

But I'm a punk fan, too.

I'm a fan of a lot of different genres.

Probably any prog fan who thinks that song lengths are important isn't also a punk fan.  Although it wouldn't be surprising if there weren't a significant percentage of folks who are both prog and punk fans.

It is difficult to imagine people who are progressive and punk fans, since they are completely opposite genres. But you as a fan of punk prefer shorter progressive music?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 15:21
You will find many folks on PA who are into punk We are quite the eclectic bunch. The big proggers versus punks thang was largely fuelled by media and un/misinformed journalists. Many punk musicians have proclaimed their love of bands like Van der Graaf Generator, Can, Gong, Hawkwind, King Crimson and yes Pink Floyd (don't believe the silly t-shirts!).
Most people on here have very eclectic tastes ranging from free jazz and black metal to hip hop and electronic trance. We may have a shortage of polka fans, but I know at least two people who dig the style from time to time.
No two music styles are mutually exclusive.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 08:00
I tend to be drawn more to longer pieces. I'm still intrigued by longer, epic songs but I don't dismiss shorter ones.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 08:13
I sometimes write long tunes because I'm lazy if that piece of information is of any help.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 08:46
Originally posted by Kaucz Kaucz wrote:

I like to propose a discussion, How much time is important for the music? When i discover a new album, usually i search for the track list, and I see that it's one of those albums with 10 short songs between 3 ~ 5 minutes i usually pass and not listen to the album.

But if i found a album with a long track I always give a chance and listen to that. 

The current music tend more and more to become shorter. This is important to you in time to hear an album?

Well, that would mean skipping much of Gentle Giant because they have very few long tracks.  AND they are plenty progressive.  Track length is not very important imo. 
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 01:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I sometimes write long tunes because I'm lazy if that piece of information is of any help.

Do you mean you compose 20+ minutes pieces of two-chords drone music?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 01:25
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Do you mean you compose 20+ minutes pieces of two-chords drone music?
I haven't, but similar, I have made a 60 minute piece that used only 10 notes and another 60 minute piece that used only 1. 

In theory 20 minutes of two-chord drone could be recorded in 5 minutes then slowed down four times.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 04:01

In theory 20 minutes of two-chord drone could be recorded in 5 minutes then slowed down four times.
It's a theory that has been proven and the psychedelic effect is awesome.Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>