Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The REAL problem with prog-metal: is not prog-rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe REAL problem with prog-metal: is not prog-rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 16:09
Very good insight and laborious!! you persuade me so much that I  Agree with  you 100%.  that  was the problem that I had the first time I heard dream Theater  back in the early 90's every band that had the tag as progressive I used to do heavy source and I expect it to like them . because It suppose to be "progressivee" but when I heard Dream theater I really liked them not because they were progressive but because they were heavy and Metal I nevre really seen them as progressive rock band. to me progressive music was what was made in the 70's. and as you explained. it.....

Edited by darksideof - September 01 2008 at 13:34
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 16:25
Whew...long winded. I see the genre debate still wages on. Perhaps we need another 50 sub genres to define things better such as Progeressive PostZhuel Inflated Love Doll You Do The Math EuroKraut Rock!!

Progressive rock=overblown pomp
Progressive Metal= Overblowner PompinessTongue

Of course, I would have it no other way as I love them both.

Actually, just having a bit of fun. Good Write T.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 17:10
Great post, Teo!Clap

Of course I agree 100%. Prog Metal is like the evil twin of Prog Rock ... like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.CoolEvil%20Smile
Evil%20Smile
pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:04
First of all, indeed a very interesting read.... Many would get confused by the 'progressive' term that compose both 'progressive rock' and 'progressive metal' labels...

In any case, the real issue that makes these kind of discussion really long is the good-old tendency of trying to put a label in each and every band... Every band/artist/performer need to fit into one of the existing labels, or a new one will be created for that purpose...

As Ian Anderson stated, he never understood people that would consider Jethro Tull as a progressive rock band, when according to him Tull had maybe release a few albuns that could be considered a progressive rock album...

Same goes to the gray areas and difficulties on labeling one band or another as hard rock or heavy metal and many other genres....

I believe there are two ways to look into that...
Either we live with the labels and understand that this is not a black-and-white kind of thing.... Progressive Metal is not a Progressive rock child and bands/artists/songs won't always fit perfectly in one of the pre-conceived rock genres....

Or we forget the labels alltogether...

I like the latter one better....

PS: I think Crimson released a couple of (amazing) metal songs in Red.

If the future's looking dark,
We are the ones who have to shine
If there is no one in control,
We are the ones who draw the line
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:33
Well, T you made a great point with that enormous, but truth-telling post.  As long as we in this site DON'T even think in adding Metallica do prog-metal sub-genre, (just my two centsBig%20smile) it's all good people. Lets just discussClap

Edited by LeInsomniac - August 25 2008 at 21:38

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:17
finally, two truths that people here are not sure to admit: prog rock died in the late seventies and prog metal is a metal form of music, not prog rock with distortion. Someone suggested that this site could enlarge its definition: a site that leads with prog rock, prog metal and modern adventurous music. Or restrain its contents. Miles Davis anyone...
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 23:48
I love your comments and insight. It is indeed very important to know the difference, so we can know the bands and the kind of music they play. I personally like to know the difference, to know if I should even buy a CD.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 03:03
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

The arguments in this essay leads me to the conclusion that progressive metal is a misleading term, because it is not progression of metal at all.

I read T's post as saying the opposite - Progressive metal is progressive metal rather than progressive metal - this is the distinction between it and Prog Rock, as far as I can tell.

I also questioned this in my blog; http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49371&PN=5, and the answers here are consistent with what was said then.

Heavy Metal (not Metal, which is a wrong term also) existed since the late sixties, flourished along with psychedelia and could be considered itself part of the "progressive rock movement" (as mentioned in the essay, progressive rock started when rock 'n' roll progressed from its basic bluesy form), because the "metallization" (excuse for the fake word) was part of the "progression" of rock and blues in late sixties.

Since then, nothing new was made.

I don't see how you can justify this! The "metallization" process continued into the 1980s, where Metallica refined and redefined it at least 5 times, and other bands added their fair share to the process - what Metallica played on the "Black" album bears little if any resemblance to "metal" music from the late 1960s.

They fused rock with all the other possible genres in the late sixties/early seventies (and even with other forms of art), so there is nothing new to be done, unless it is mixing music with non-musical things that have not been tried yet.

Again, I can't see how this statement can possibly be justified.

Fused rock with all possible genres? I didn't know that all possible genres had been invented back then - more are being invented all the time, so this makes no sense to me.

"Nothing new to be done"? This is complete nonsense, surely - new music is being created all the time. This statement is equivalent to saying that Shakespeare used all the words and wrote all the stories, therefore no new ones have been written since. Could you provide examples of how this is true?

Take Metallica as an exemple (the new "paladins" of prog-metal to this site). They never made anything that have not been tried before.

Yes they did.

Their song structure was overly used before

Could you provide examples of this, as I hear fresh approaches to song structuring in their music.

You say "their song structure" as if they only ever used one - isnt' the structure of "Ride The Lightning" very different to the structure of "For Whom The Bell Tolls"?

Who used the structure of "Ride The Lightning", and in which piece? I'd like to hear it, as I obviously missed it.

and the "loud and distorted approach" was very common in late sixties and mid-seventies. There is nothing new in their music,

Yes there is.

they just combined many different elements that were there in rock music and created their original music.

Aha!

"Original music" - kinda disagrees with what you said above, doesn't it?

"Combined many different elements" - well, that's exactly what Progressive Rock bands did. They didn't create anything new (following your logic), they just pieced together what was there already in exactly the same way!

So, we have two choices: either progressive rock was a movement of a certain period of time, that ended when the term became outdated or progressive rock is anything that is not the original rock 'n' roll and that is not part of any "back to roots" movement (for example, punk rock). The rest is purely illogical.

Not true - we can use the term "Progressive Rock" to refer to the "movement" of 1969-1975, or we can use it to refer more widely to music that follows similar approaches (in the same way as we use the term "Classical music"). In the mid 1960s, there was a Progressive music movement - and it was largely in the field of Rock, hence we have the Proto-Prog category.

My personal preference is for the first choice, because it is more in tune with the use of progressive term in other genres, like progressive jazz, progressive country, progressive house, etc.

It seems to exclude those areas of music, and would confine this site to a very small number of bands.

The other choice seems to be useless, since it makes progressive rock embrace much more things, and it would make the term more confusing. All the other alternatives are attempts on rewriting history, handling the truth or adapting the reality to people's needs.

The history was never properly written down in the first place - people who were "there" forget that "there" is only one place. History was being created all over the world. The second choice is the logical one, as it includes all Progressive Music.

Another problem, the real problem of the site, is to coin a term to gather all the different genres under its prog umbrella to justify the bond among them. They tried coining Progressive Music, but this is an empty term, that has no validity outside the PA influence.

See above about the 1960s movement (there are compilation albums available from the time, such as "Wowie Zowie, The World of Progressive Music" for reference) - Progressive Music is a much more generic term, and largely refers to rock music - but is an inclusive term, which includes folk, jazz and blues oriented music too.

Now people is trying to find roots from "metal" outside of rock to justify the gap from prog metal to prog rock.

Actually, the term "Heavy Metal" was used within the Progressive Music scene - it's part of the roots of Prog Rock, not outside of it at all.

By the way, all the energy rests in justifying prog metal to people who don't see much in common between prog rock and prog metal.

There's clearly a link - if only in the aspirations of some bands. Other bands (such as Spastic Ink) have created music that is so clearly Progressive Metal that no justification is required.

On the other hand, some Progressive Rock bands created albums that are so light in Progressive content, that one wonders what they are doing alongside bands like Gentle Giant. In the case of Spastic Ink, there is no doubt.

The problem is that it seems that the site wants so badly to define progressive rock, "Prog", "progressive music", etc, that people here want to conform the definition of progressive-"something" to the content of the site, when this approach is erroneous, misleading and harmful to the site itself. Isn't it much easier to explain that the site is focused on progressive rock, progressive metal, jazz-rock/fusion, modern expermental music, etc?

Maybe that needs to be made more clear in an article somewhere - are you volunteering to write it? Big%20smile

Edited by Certif1ed - August 26 2008 at 03:50
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Clearly someone that hasnt listned to much prog metal

LOL

Tons of prog metal bands fit my definition. I've heard plenty of things that are labeled prog metal and fit that formula to a T.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 06:22
best thing written on the site for a long time
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 07:28
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

The arguments in this essay leads me to the conclusion that progressive metal is a misleading term, because it is not progression of metal at all.

I read T's post as saying the opposite - Progressive metal is progressive metal rather than progressive metal - this is the distinction between it and Prog Rock, as far as I can tell.

I also questioned this in my blog; http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49371&PN=5, and the answers here are consistent with what was said then.

Heavy Metal (not Metal, which is a wrong term also) existed since the late sixties, flourished along with psychedelia and could be considered itself part of the "progressive rock movement" (as mentioned in the essay, progressive rock started when rock 'n' roll progressed from its basic bluesy form), because the "metallization" (excuse for the fake word) was part of the "progression" of rock and blues in late sixties.

Since then, nothing new was made.

I don't see how you can justify this! The "metallization" process continued into the 1980s, where Metallica refined and redefined it at least 5 times, and other bands added their fair share to the process - what Metallica played on the "Black" album bears little if any resemblance to "metal" music from the late 1960s.

They fused rock with all the other possible genres in the late sixties/early seventies (and even with other forms of art), so there is nothing new to be done, unless it is mixing music with non-musical things that have not been tried yet.

Again, I can't see how this statement can possibly be justified.

Fused rock with all possible genres? I didn't know that all possible genres had been invented back then - more are being invented all the time, so this makes no sense to me.

"Nothing new to be done"? This is complete nonsense, surely - new music is being created all the time. This statement is equivalent to saying that Shakespeare used all the words and wrote all the stories, therefore no new ones have been written since. Could you provide examples of how this is true?

Take Metallica as an exemple (the new "paladins" of prog-metal to this site). They never made anything that have not been tried before.

Yes they did.

Their song structure was overly used before

Could you provide examples of this, as I hear fresh approaches to song structuring in their music.

You say "their song structure" as if they only ever used one - isnt' the structure of "Ride The Lightning" very different to the structure of "For Whom The Bell Tolls"?

Who used the structure of "Ride The Lightning", and in which piece? I'd like to hear it, as I obviously missed it.

and the "loud and distorted approach" was very common in late sixties and mid-seventies. There is nothing new in their music,

Yes there is.

they just combined many different elements that were there in rock music and created their original music.

Aha!

"Original music" - kinda disagrees with what you said above, doesn't it?

"Combined many different elements" - well, that's exactly what Progressive Rock bands did. They didn't create anything new (following your logic), they just pieced together what was there already in exactly the same way!

So, we have two choices: either progressive rock was a movement of a certain period of time, that ended when the term became outdated or progressive rock is anything that is not the original rock 'n' roll and that is not part of any "back to roots" movement (for example, punk rock). The rest is purely illogical.

Not true - we can use the term "Progressive Rock" to refer to the "movement" of 1969-1975, or we can use it to refer more widely to music that follows similar approaches (in the same way as we use the term "Classical music"). In the mid 1960s, there was a Progressive music movement - and it was largely in the field of Rock, hence we have the Proto-Prog category.

My personal preference is for the first choice, because it is more in tune with the use of progressive term in other genres, like progressive jazz, progressive country, progressive house, etc.

It seems to exclude those areas of music, and would confine this site to a very small number of bands.

The other choice seems to be useless, since it makes progressive rock embrace much more things, and it would make the term more confusing. All the other alternatives are attempts on rewriting history, handling the truth or adapting the reality to people's needs.

The history was never properly written down in the first place - people who were "there" forget that "there" is only one place. History was being created all over the world. The second choice is the logical one, as it includes all Progressive Music.

Another problem, the real problem of the site, is to coin a term to gather all the different genres under its prog umbrella to justify the bond among them. They tried coining Progressive Music, but this is an empty term, that has no validity outside the PA influence.

See above about the 1960s movement (there are compilation albums available from the time, such as "Wowie Zowie, The World of Progressive Music" for reference) - Progressive Music is a much more generic term, and largely refers to rock music - but is an inclusive term, which includes folk, jazz and blues oriented music too.

Now people is trying to find roots from "metal" outside of rock to justify the gap from prog metal to prog rock.

Actually, the term "Heavy Metal" was used within the Progressive Music scene - it's part of the roots of Prog Rock, not outside of it at all.

By the way, all the energy rests in justifying prog metal to people who don't see much in common between prog rock and prog metal.

There's clearly a link - if only in the aspirations of some bands. Other bands (such as Spastic Ink) have created music that is so clearly Progressive Metal that no justification is required.

On the other hand, some Progressive Rock bands created albums that are so light in Progressive content, that one wonders what they are doing alongside bands like Gentle Giant. In the case of Spastic Ink, there is no doubt.

The problem is that it seems that the site wants so badly to define progressive rock, "Prog", "progressive music", etc, that people here want to conform the definition of progressive-"something" to the content of the site, when this approach is erroneous, misleading and harmful to the site itself. Isn't it much easier to explain that the site is focused on progressive rock, progressive metal, jazz-rock/fusion, modern expermental music, etc?

Maybe that needs to be made more clear in an article somewhere - are you volunteering to write it? Big%20smile

It is completely unfair to use this kind of rhetoric, because you quote one phrase when you want to contradict its meaning out of context and you quote previous things wrote to contradict other arguments, always out of context. If you have strong arguments, you don't need to do that.

For example, I never said that bands clone older music, otherwise all the bands would be sued for plagiarism and music would end. However there is no new approach to music, since the late sixties. They fused rock with everything that was possible. It is not a matter of considering, for example, Nu Metal a new genre and saying that nobody did Prog Nu Metal in the late sixties. It is considering that rock eliminated all the "genre purity" and everything blended with rock is considered rock, so nothing new, just new melodies and harmonies.

As for Metallica, they use the same approach as other heavy metal bands. Just because the tone of  the guitar distortion and singing changed, it isn't true that they do something different to power chord riffs, solos and changes in tempo of the riff. Have you ever heard, let's say, Rush? If every kind of song structure was used in rock before, event free-form structures, common just to avant-garde music, why Metallica song structures were something new? They just created their own melodies and harmonies, which is what we expect from every musician, but unfortunately it doesn't happen so often as it should.

And, by the way, history is written when it is happening. When anyone thinks he is knowledegable enough to call not-progressive bands that were called progressive at their time and call progressive bands that were not called progressive at their time, it is clear that you are trying to redefine the meaning of progressive, but for people who learned the term by other sources will disagree with the new meaning.

Anyway, the obsession with a "magic term" to define everything the site has is similar to the obsession of the alchemists to find a formula to turn other metals in gold. As I said before, it is easier to admit that the site covers much more than prog rock and state this. Then, the prog rock fans wouldn't be pissed off because the site states clearly that are other things in the site, like jazz-rock/fusion, progressive metal, modern experimental, etc. The genres are somewhat related, but their are not the same thing and it is useless to try to call everything 'apple' if, for many people, some of the 'apples' are 'oranges'.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 11:19
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Clearly someone that hasnt listned to much prog metal

LOL

Tons of prog metal bands fit my definition. I've heard plenty of things that are labeled prog metal and fit that formula to a T.

This is true, but there are many and more that dont, so put the brush and tar away please.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:54

It is completely unfair to use this kind of rhetoric, because you quote one phrase when you want to contradict its meaning out of context and you quote previous things wrote to contradict other arguments, always out of context. If you have strong arguments, you don't need to do that.

I have attempted to keep everything in context - as I look back, I can't see any problems. I disputed some points you made, that's all -  I'm not trying to play any sort of game - and I think my arguments are reasonably strong.

For example, I never said that bands clone older music, otherwise all the bands would be sued for plagiarism and music would end. However there is no new approach to music, since the late sixties. They fused rock with everything that was possible. It is not a matter of considering, for example, Nu Metal a new genre and saying that nobody did Prog Nu Metal in the late sixties. It is considering that rock eliminated all the "genre purity" and everything blended with rock is considered rock, so nothing new, just new melodies and harmonies.
I don't really understand what you're saying here - whoever "they" are did not fuse rock with everything possible - that is patently untrue. If there is nothing new, how can there be new melodies and harmonies?

What about rhythm, form and timbre (the other 3 elements of music)?

As for Metallica, they use the same approach as other heavy metal bands. Just because the tone of  the guitar distortion and singing changed, it isn't true that they do something different to power chord riffs, solos and changes in tempo of the riff. Have you ever heard, let's say, Rush? If every kind of song structure was used in rock before, event free-form structures, common just to avant-garde music, why Metallica song structures were something new? They just created their own melodies and harmonies, which is what we expect from every musician, but unfortunately it doesn't happen so often as it should.

Again, I find this a little confused - I'll try to pick out the salient points and adhere as closely as I can to the context;

1. Metallica did not use the same approach as heavy metal bands of past generations - unless I somehow misunderstand your meaning. They used 5 new approaches to the genre on each of their first 5 albums.

Can you think of precedents? There won't be many, I'm willing to bet.

While it's true they borrowed heavily, they borrowed from all across the metal spectrum, particularly concentrating on innovative bands such as Diamond Head, Bliztkrieg, Holocaust, Budgie - and punk bands too (a genre that Prog most definitely did not absorb, to go back to your earlier mysterious point about everything having already been exploited).

2. They did do something different with power chords, solos and changes in tempo of riff - again, I can't think of many precedents except, maybe, King Crimson. For example, the song "Seek and Destroy" uses what is essentially the same riff all the way through, but turns it upside down, plays it almost backwards, changes the tempo - the same developmental process used in "21st Century Schizoid Man", without actually copying the song in any way. You'll also note that some of the soloing is based (like part of the riff) on Saxon's "Princess of the Night", some on Judas Priest's "Exciter" (IIRC), and the rest... I can't remember - anyway, the point is that they successfully drew all these styles together and made their own unique style - an approach which is fundamental to Progressive Rock.

3. Naturally I've heard of Rush, and Rush took an entirely different approach... I must have missed your point here, as this seems obvious beyond belief.

4. I did not say that everything had been used in rock (in fact, I said the opposite) - my understanding is that this is what you're trying to say, and it's patently untrue to say that every song structure has been used in rock before. Maybe I misunderstand your point here, as this seems so obvious to me.

5. Not quite sure what your last paragraph is getting at - you seem to be saying that Metallica did something with their melodies and harmonies that most other rock bands don't really achieve, and this is desirable - is that a correct interpretation?

And, by the way, history is written when it is happening. When anyone thinks he is knowledegable enough to call not-progressive bands that were called progressive at their time and call progressive bands that were not called progressive at their time, it is clear that you are trying to redefine the meaning of progressive, but for people who learned the term by other sources will disagree with the new meaning.

History is not written as it happens - I do not believe that anyone diaried the development of Progressive Rock, for example! Diaried histories are actually quite rare, and anyway, are from one person's viewpoint, not from an overall perspective.

Most sources are inaccurate, which is why everyone has their own idea of what Prog is, and it's usually so vague that most people find it hard to put it into words.

All I'm trying to do is find words that describe it with a degree of accuracy, and it that means partial rewrites for clarification, then that's as it should be.

Anyway, the obsession with a "magic term" to define everything the site has is similar to the obsession of the alchemists to find a formula to turn other metals in gold. As I said before, it is easier to admit that the site covers much more than prog rock and state this. Then, the prog rock fans wouldn't be pissed off because the site states clearly that are other things in the site, like jazz-rock/fusion, progressive metal, modern experimental, etc. The genres are somewhat related, but their are not the same thing and it is useless to try to call everything 'apple' if, for many people, some of the 'apples' are 'oranges'.

Of course, but some attempt at definition is better than no definition, which opens the door to the whole fruit basket - and probably a ton of vegetables too.

[/QUOTE]

Edited by Certif1ed - August 26 2008 at 15:03
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 19:24
If Jazz Fusion is a mix of Jazz & Rock, should JF be considered prog ?
If Krautrock was influenced by Psychedelia and politics and drugs, where is the prog element.
If psychedelic influences are sufficient for "progginess", should all psychedelic bands (mostly from the 60s) be considered prog and have their own sub genre here at PA ?
If progressive electronic includes many groups that would now be called "new age" or "ambient" in today's media subdivision of music, should modern "new age" and "ambient" groups have the door opened to them ?
At what point does avant-garde become routine or formulaic ? and therefore no longer avant-garde ?
Is it possible that a metal group be progressive or proggy ? If yes, what do the declaimers insist should be part of the musical presentation ? Moogs, Mellotrons, Hammond B3s ? Lower volume ? Obeissance to the Apocalypse in 9/8 ? Exploration of other types of Oceans ? Side long suites ?
Please set out the criteria for which you would or could or should consider a musical genre progressive / Then make a comparison from your favourite groups to the Prog metal groups or ask the more informed members here for examples that match those set by your template setting prog heroes.
Methinks that the contradictions will surpass those of many a religious holy book. (Complex passages ? Yes. And No. Time signatures outside of 4/4. Yes. And No. Long long multi part songs. Yes. And No. Virtuosic playing. Yes. And No. Can you see that accepting one choice only  would disqualify seemingly clearly progressive groups or genres. Gentle Giant never went for 20 minute suites. Prog, are they ? The Krautrockers are not know for their technical expertise at their instruments. Prog, are they ? Rush never went for mellotrons and Hammond B3s. Prog , are they ? King Crimson never really wrote "symphonies". Prog , are they ?
Using one criteria to elimate or negate a genre's claim to being prog music can be too easily applied to most genres here, and even to many bands within the other genres.
If you don't like it. Say so. If, in comparison to everything else at PA that has passed the Prog test, a genre, be it Prog Metal, does not compare or match up to the rest, then present the case with specifics, and make sure that your conclusions cannot be used against other bands or genres from PA's database. Self defeat saves others time. Better to take time and save face.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
yesman1972 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 00:55
I just wanted to clear up why Tool sounds like King Crimson. From Aenima on, Tool has borrowed heavily from 80s Crimson. The main similarities are reliance on mostly pentatonic scales, odd time signatures implemented more often than more common ones, and polyrhythms. Anyone doubt need only to listen tosongs like H., Lateralus, 46 and 2, The Patient, and many others, and compare them from any 80s Crimson output. 
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 01:56
                     but the real problem for progressive rock is  metal *              
               what a difference between  heaven and  hell .

regardless , nothing in common , not even instruments used .
    but i don't mind it exist for the super brains , vegeterians , and
close to the   edge maniacs //////////////////////////////    wow   Clap

Tracking Tracks of Rock
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 03:06
An interesting and very dense group of questions...

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

If Jazz Fusion is a mix of Jazz & Rock, should JF be considered prog ?

That depends on how close to Prog it gets. If it's clearly just a jazz/rock fusion, then probably not. If the goal is to create something different through that fusion, then we're closer. If the music itself progresses such that we forget we're listening to a fusion of jazz and rock, and develops in interesting ways, then that's probably Prog (or related). Mahavishnu's "Inner Mounting Flame" is a good example, of a fusion album that's close to Prog, if you can ignore the widdly guitar.

If Krautrock was influenced by Psychedelia and politics and drugs, where is the prog element.

Depends on the Krautrock album in question... Not all Krautrock stems from psychedelia (e.g. Can, Faust), some strays into heavy metal territory (The Scorpions, Necronomicon, Eloy), and many show a deep Pink Floyd influence. Floyd, despite being deeply psychedelic, rarely if ever played music that bears any resemblance to "straightforward" psychedelia.

If psychedelic influences are sufficient for "progginess", should all psychedelic bands (mostly from the 60s) be considered prog and have their own sub genre here at PA ?

Not all of them, but Psych Rock is undoubtedly the breeding ground from which Prog Rock arose, so there is a very clear link, and many Psych bands were part of the "Progressive Music" scene - so there is a clear case for adding progressive Psych bands. We already have Hapshash and the Coloured Coat (who weren't even a proper band!), and there are many other deserving cases.

If progressive electronic includes many groups that would now be called "new age" or "ambient" in today's media subdivision of music, should modern "new age" and "ambient" groups have the door opened to them ?

There are many who think they should, and I find it hard to disagree. The Orb, for example, have clear Prog links, in the Pink Floyd samples they used, and Steve Hillage behind the production knobs, IIRC. It's not just New Age or Ambient that should be considered, if you pursue this avenue, but so-called "Intelligent" and "Progressive" dance music too, as the differences are very blurry.

At what point does avant-garde become routine or formulaic ? and therefore no longer avant-garde ?

Heh - it's not going to be a point, but there is something about a band that chooses to err towards noise that seems to perpetually keep them at the "Avant-garde" edge - bands such as Autechre, for example.

Is it possible that a metal group be progressive or proggy ? If yes, what do the declaimers insist should be part of the musical presentation ? Moogs, Mellotrons, Hammond B3s ? Lower volume ? Obeissance to the Apocalypse in 9/8 ? Exploration of other types of Oceans ? Side long suites ?

It's totally possible, because Progressive Rock descended from Heavy Metal as well as Rock - the "split" from Rock to Metal was a gradual one. The heaviness of "The Heavy Metal Kids" I mentioned above is only really apparent if you've listened to a lot of psych, and if you follow their career path, it's plain to see how they influenced all the early greats from Zeppelin, Purple and Sabbath to Judas Priest. Yet when they started out, the Progressive Music scene was in its infancy. ITCOTCK owes at least as much to Heavy Metal in this embryonic form as it does to the Blues, Jazz or Avant-Garde, as witnessed by the very first track.

The "elements" are by and large irrelevant, unless combined in such a way as to make the music progressive. Any can be present or missing - it's all in the music, just as it is with Prog.

Please set out the criteria for which you would or could or should consider a musical genre progressive / Then make a comparison from your favourite groups to the Prog metal groups or ask the more informed members here for examples that match those set by your template setting prog heroes.

I've already done that - and asked the question about Prog Metal. I'm currently prodding the Prog Metal Team for answers, and the results are looking very promising, as they love talking about their favourite music. Wink

Methinks that the contradictions will surpass those of many a religious holy book. (Complex passages ? Yes. And No. Time signatures outside of 4/4. Yes. And No. Long long multi part songs. Yes. And No. Virtuosic playing. Yes. And No. Can you see that accepting one choice only  would disqualify seemingly clearly progressive groups or genres. Gentle Giant never went for 20 minute suites. Prog, are they ? The Krautrockers are not know for their technical expertise at their instruments. Prog, are they ? Rush never went for mellotrons and Hammond B3s. Prog , are they ? King Crimson never really wrote "symphonies". Prog , are they ?
Using one criteria to elimate or negate a genre's claim to being prog music can be too easily applied to most genres here, and even to many bands within the other genres.

Defining music by elements alone is impossible, because elements of music are like elements of anything else - mere building blocks.

You couldn't categorise pieces of music that contained the note "E", for example, because, if there's a guitar in the band, chances are that an "E" will be played.

You probably wouldn't want to categorise your music collection into pieces that are written in the key of E, pieces that contain Mellotrons, pieces that are over 20 minutes lons or pieces that are in 7/4, because those would be the ONLY links between the pieces of music. All the pieces would most likely be in completely different styles.

Even a checklist of a combination of these elements is next to useless unless there is further qualification and even then, most "genres" of music are extremely fuzzy around the edges - this isn' t an exact science.

If you don't like it. Say so. If, in comparison to everything else at PA that has passed the Prog test, a genre, be it Prog Metal, does not compare or match up to the rest, then present the case with specifics, and make sure that your conclusions cannot be used against other bands or genres from PA's database. Self defeat saves others time. Better to take time and save face.

As per my note above, this is being done - there simply aren't any workable definitions available YET Smile

Prog Metal requires its own test, as it has followed a different path to Prog Rock, just as Jazz Fusion has...

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 03:22

Even a checklist of a combination of these elements is next to useless unless there is further qualification and even then, most "genres" of music are extremely fuzzy around the edges - this isn' t an exact science.

That's why I think it is impossible to write a definition which can be used to determine whether something is prog or not. In fact I think that an extensive checklist of elements and characteristics is the best that can be done ... in the end - like you said - whether a band is prog or not depends on how they combine those elements. I don't think that you'll be able to describe this "how" in a meaningful way, which covers all that we call prog ... it's simply too diverse, this thing we call "music".Big%20smile
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 04:31
I think my "What is Prog" blog goes some way to providing a reasonable definition - so I'd disagree strongly that it's "impossible". It's only impossible if you're looking for an exact definition, because there isn't even an exact definition of what music is.

If we don't define Prog Metal at all, then there's the danger that anything could be considered part of the "genre", making such classifications useless, and the term redundant.

Why not just use the term "Heavy Metal"? Why bother subdividing it into endless categories, if these categories can't be described?

The point is not to get perfect precision, but a degree of accuracy so that the differences become apparent to a casual reader.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 05:02

because there isn't even an exact definition of what music is.

music

(myū'zĭk
n.
  1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.

http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>