Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 13:09
When prog is just prog, for the sake of it, and not really inventive, or challenging, nor even adventurous.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 13:31
^ Indeed.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 13:35
It is ok to dislike a band/album/genre, but once you start inventing rules about what you like or don't (often followed by rationalizations), then you stop listening music for what it is and you limit yourself. There's a difference in saying "I don't like fade-outs, keyboards or whatever in this album/band/genre" and saying "I don't like fade-outs, keyboards or whatever. Period."
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 13:37
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

When prog is just prog, for the sake of it, and not really inventive, or challenging, nor even adventurous.

Then it is not prog....it's Beatles music.

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves)

Captcha.........
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 18:36
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Pet prog peeve: awful singing. If you can't find a good vocalist then maybe your band should be instrumental.

On a serious note. I TOTALLY agree. Mediocre singers backed by outstanding musicians makes me want to bark at the moon like a loon. It's even worse when one of the musicans think they can pull it off. Having a thick skin i can appreicate some bands but not love them. But knowing they could be great instead of ok is frustrating.

So, I think we are on the same page here, but want to be sure. By "mediocre" you do not mean unconventional, correct? No one would mistake Peter Hammill or Demetrio Stratos for American Idol material, but I think they are great unconventional singers.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 22:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Then it is not prog....it's Beatles music.

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves)

Captcha.........
Really canīt understand why you seem to have so much against Beatles? I can someway understand it with the people born in eighties, but youīre from sixties. Do you really think Rush would have been same without Beatles?

Of course you donīt have to like Beatles, but their music not inventive, adventurous or challenging? Then Christ sake what kind of Revolver or Sgt. Pepper music is?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 00:09
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Some people complain about prog for the sake of prog, but I have a beef with pop for the sake of pop in prog music. Like when a band tries to write a really catchy sounding chorus in a song that really doesn't need one, especially when the lyrics aren't very poppy.

I think the first time I noticed this was Dream Theater's Solitary Shell (from 7 Degrees of Inner Turbulence)... in the live version from Score, James LaBrie shouts "Sing it!" during the chorus. Uh, no James... I can't understand a word you're singing. Now, if your chorus is "Woah, halfway there, woah-oh, livin' on a prayer!", I can keep up. If your chorus is:

He's a Monday morning lunatic
Disturbed from time to time
Lost within himself in his solitary shell
A temporary catatonic madman on occasion
When will he break out of his solitary shell

Then just no.

And one big big offender is Big Big Train; take Keeper Of Abbeys - catchy song; almost sounds like I'm listening to Great Big Sea. The lyrics to the chorus?

Keeper of abbeys
His name was carved in the grey stone
It was the angel of the north

That's not very chorusy at all... it barely looks like lyrics. Fortunately, the song goes into a lovely jam with violin and electric sitar solos, so it's not completely a waste.

Yup, and DT use these pop like choruses in lots of songs.  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 00:31
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Some people complain about prog for the sake of prog, but I have a beef with pop for the sake of pop in prog music. Like when a band tries to write a really catchy sounding chorus in a song that really doesn't need one, especially when the lyrics aren't very poppy.

I think the first time I noticed this was Dream Theater's Solitary Shell (from 7 Degrees of Inner Turbulence)... in the live version from Score, James LaBrie shouts "Sing it!" during the chorus. Uh, no James... I can't understand a word you're singing. Now, if your chorus is "Woah, halfway there, woah-oh, livin' on a prayer!", I can keep up. If your chorus is:

Then just no.

And one big big offender is Big Big Train; take Keeper Of Abbeys - catchy song; almost sounds like I'm listening to Great Big Sea. The lyrics to the chorus?

Keeper of abbeys

That's not very chorusy at all... it barely looks like lyrics. Fortunately, the song goes into a lovely jam with violin and electric sitar solos, so it's not completely a waste.

it's called Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. 
I don't see what the problem is. So catchy-ness does not belong in prog? At all? 
The problem I have with DT and especially in their Rudess era is soloing just for the sake of soloing and it happens quite a bit, a show off like attitude, the music just does not "breathe". 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 01:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Then just no.

Keeper of abbeys

I don't see what the problem is. So catchy-ness does not belong in prog? At all? 
The problem I have with DT and especially in their Rudess era is soloing just for the sake of soloing and it happens quite a bit, a show off like attitude, the music just does not "breathe". 

No, it can be catchy but as he is saying, that very upbeat chorus just doesn't fit the lyrics. It is not even like Radiohead deliberately creating a dissonance between the music and the lyrics.  These choruses are like generic pop choruses so have no particular character of their own and are expected to go along with "Monday morning lunatic...".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 01:46
^ then check this out

is it catchy? yes it is
is it sad? definitely

why is the audience singing? they probably relate to it. 
Nothing wrong to singing along, no mater if the lyrics are happy or sad. 

what am I missing here? 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 05:21

^ then check this out

is it catchy? yes it is
is it sad? definitely

why is the audience singing? they probably relate to it. 
Nothing wrong to singing along, no mater if the lyrics are happy or sad. 

what am I missing here? 

That's Anathema and I referred to a DT example.  I will stick to DT and have discussed why it doesn't work for me.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 09:19
What really bugs me is when so-called prog music is just plain average.  For me, a piece can only be called prog when most aspects of the music are WAY above average...

• The musicians must be WAY above average.  Not just musical, but virtouso! Showoff? Yes, please!
  • The compositions have to be WAY above average.  No ABA or verse/chorus, but highly complex!  Lots of mood changes, time-signature changes, solos, and layers of instrumentation.
  • The vocals must be WAY above average.  Not just any blow-hard who (thinks they) can sing happy birthday.
  • The lyrics must be WAY above average.  Not just story telling, but thought provoking.  Either shut up or give me something interesting to ponder. I don't need to be told a bed-time story.

Too many so-called prog bands are just average musicians playing la-di-dah music with unnecessary (or average) vocalists telling a boring, face-value story.

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 10:02
I concur with the OP (and others) : Fade-outs are the worst
(just kidding - but TRUE ! - let me listen to the whole thing, please)
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 16:10

Then just no.

Keeper of abbeys

Nothing wrong with catchiness or pop in prog - just sometimes it doesn't really fit or work for me. Some bands do a great job of it, and some don't.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 16:48
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

What really bugs me is when so-called prog music is just plain average.  For me, a piece can only be called prog when most aspects of the music are WAY above average...

• The musicians must be WAY above average.  Not just musical, but virtouso! Showoff? Yes, please!
  • The compositions have to be WAY above average.  No ABA or verse/chorus, but highly complex!  Lots of mood changes, time-signature changes, solos, and layers of instrumentation.
  • The vocals must be WAY above average.  Not just any blow-hard who (thinks they) can sing happy birthday.
  • The lyrics must be WAY above average.  Not just story telling, but thought provoking.  Either shut up or give me something interesting to ponder. I don't need to be told a bed-time story.

Too many so-called prog bands are just average musicians playing la-di-dah music with unnecessary (or average) vocalists telling a boring, face-value story.

a definite "no" to this from me, to each of the 4 conditions

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 17:26
Give me musical eccentricity or it's just pop rock, IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 17:29
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

that's more like it. but by this definition a lot of bands that are not in the archives should get into it

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 17:37
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

that's more like it. but by this definition a lot of bands that are not in the archives should get into it

Totally, and I'd have to agree. There seems to be lots of definitions around PA; that one's mine! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 18:38

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

a definite "no" to this from me, to each of the 4 conditions

Dear god, I think I avoid all of these like the plague except 1 in fusion and technical metal.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 18:40

I do like this, I can think of a bunch of bands like this I tag as prog who don't make the cut here.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>