Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Epics from the DARK AGES (the 80s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Any of these 80s epics deserving of comparison to Classic Era greats?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [2.29%]
7 [5.34%]
3 [2.29%]
3 [2.29%]
1 [0.76%]
2 [1.53%]
20 [15.27%]
6 [4.58%]
13 [9.92%]
6 [4.58%]
2 [1.53%]
9 [6.87%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.76%]
5 [3.82%]
2 [1.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [11.45%]
5 [3.82%]
7 [5.34%]
1 [0.76%]
10 [7.63%]
9 [6.87%]
1 [0.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:26
The SBB, Solaris, Shub-Niggurath, and Metheny & Mays are all outstanding tracks.

I would also add Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (1984), Supertramp's "Brother Where You Bound" (1985), Talk Talk's "The Rainbow / Eden / Desire" (1988), and Phish's "The Divided Sky" (1989). All phenomenal works imo.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:33
Shubby-dubby 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:52
This poll is missing Brother Where You Bound. Voted for Kate Bush !

Edited by Umeda - March 10 2021 at 11:52
Not for rent. To any God or government.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 12:22
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

The SBB, Solaris, Shub-Niggurath, and Metheny & Mays are all outstanding tracks.

I would also add Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (1984), Supertramp's "Brother Where You Bound" (1985), Talk Talk's "The Rainbow / Eden / Desire" (1988), and Phish's "The Divided Sky" (1989). All phenomenal works imo.

I completely missed the SBB track! 😱
I’ve made right that mistake, and now given it a vote.
Thanks for pointing that out! 😉👍🏻

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 12:33
"Marsibéli Krónikák I-VI" Solaris
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 12:58
It has to be Anthony Phillips for me.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 13:19
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I’ve voted for Kate and Frankie. And I’d love to know who the others are who’ve voted for Welcome to the Pleasuredome. Come on now, don’t be shy! If I can admit to loving this song, so can you. Don’t be hiding behind the anonymity of a vote! 😜😜

Great minds think alike! I LOVE that Frankie song to pieces, and I'm proud to admit I voted for it. As a matter of fact, I strongly disagree with those who believe the Eighties were a bad decade for music - progressive or otherwise. Then again, I told you I was odd LOL...

Like you, I also voted for Kate, one of my all-time favourite artists. I also endorse the mention of "Brother Where You Bound" (from one of Supertramp's best albums), and the Talk Talk and Iron Maiden songs. The Avant stuff goes without saying.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 13:27
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

I completely missed the SBB track! 😱
I’ve made right that mistake, and now given it a vote.
Thanks for pointing that out! 😉👍🏻

I only had 25 slots!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 13:32
Just to be incredibly pedantic, the Yezda Urfa song was recorded around 1976 I think (as was the entirety of Sacred Baboon), and released in 1989. Great track to include though!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 15:00
Many awesome choices, BrufordFreak, especially Twelfth Night, IQ and Solaris.

Curiously, why "Sphinx Lightning" and not the much more highly regarded "Mojave Plan" from White Eagle?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Just to be incredibly pedantic, the Yezda Urfa song was recorded around 1976 I think (as was the entirety of Sacred Baboon), and released in 1989. Great track to include though!

I KNOW! And yet it's included on PA's Top Albums list for 1989! I, too, think it unfair and misleading but, what's a consumer to do?

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Curiously, why "Sphinx Lightning" and not the much more highly regarded "Mojave Plan" from White Eagle?

Because Embarrassed I don't know White Eagle and LOVE Hyperborea!

Drew Fisher
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 15:53
Wonderful selection put up here! I'm going with IQ and Twelfth Night, and both for the fact they're simply mentioned here and because I really like their music very much: Flairck - especially some live versions of Gevecht met de engel are very impressive...
If Flairck wasn't there, I would have voted for Frankie Goes to Hollywood - what a wonderful album they made, back then!

Edited by suitkees - March 10 2021 at 15:56

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 17:23
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Because Embarrassed I don't know White Eagle and LOVE Hyperborea!

Go listen to Side A ("Mojave Plan") ASAP...prepare to be blown away! Star
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:06
This poll reminded me I need to check out more Kate Bush.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:10
SBB
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:28
Propaganda, Shub and Frankie are good, but not yet on par with the great classics.
I voted for IQ and Kate Bush here.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:57
Ninth Wave
A Dream Within A Dream ( a few 'proggies' involved in that one!)
Sphinx Lightning (totally ignored TD album so very pleased to see this included in the poll although the Edgar Froese solo album of around that time has an even better track called 'Pinnacles' , check it out!)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 10:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Sphinx Lightning (totally ignored TD album so very pleased to see this included in the poll although the Edgar Froese solo album of around that time has an even better track called 'Pinnacles' , check it out!)

Correct! And you no doubt voted for it in Paul's poll the other day, like moi. Wink

And the title track of Hyperborea is flat-out amazing. Big smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 11:30
Fan of Pat Metheny ,but there are some other nice ones there ....Bush, IQ, etc....

er...'Frankie Goes To Hollywood'......wtf?
LOL

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>