Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis - Abacab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What do you think of this album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.66%]
5 [9.43%]
15 [28.30%]
3 [5.66%]
8 [15.09%]
16 [30.19%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.66%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 06:34
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

The original album is quite bad, but I made a different tracklist that makes it a very fun listen to me. No horns no other weird sh*t in the middle haha

1 - Abacab, 
2 - Me and Sarah Jane, 
3 - You Might Recall, 
4 - Man on the Corner, 
5 - Dodo / Lurker,
6 - Submarine

Only 37 minutes, but some Rush albums are as long as this

Naminanu and Keep It Dark are also good IMO.

Edited by Cristi - January 31 2023 at 06:35
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 06:40
Certainly one of Genesis weaker albums.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 07:08
The problem with Naminanu is don't really know where to put the track haha, it's a fun listen indeed though.
I'm not much a fan of Keep It Dark, but it has been a while I didn't listen to it though.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 07:39
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I didn't buy it when it came out but I did get 'Three Sides Live' on release.  On there is a belter called 'Dodo' which segues into 'Abacab' - brilliant.

Yes I like this version too. Voted it’s ok buy meh - as I’m skipping a lot of songs
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 10:37
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Some great cuts, a spectacular mix, it is a gorgeous and frequently disappointing release.

^ This!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 12:27
Not one of their best, but still a good listen.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 13:27
I am the only one to vote for "Love it - One of the best Genesis albums". In fact, I will even take the next logical step and also say it's my very favorite Genesis album, slightly ahead of Selling England by the Pound.

I had heard a number of Genesis songs on the radio, but nothing really grabbed me until hearing this album's title track. I rushed out to buy it, and Abacab became my introduction to all things Genesis. It was only much later, after hearing all the other albums, that I found out how controversial this album was with the fanbase. Yes, it's very different from anything else they've ever done, but what a risk they took to completely update and re-invent their sound. Sure, having Hugh Padgham and a brand new recording studio went a long way toward reaching this goal, but this album still sounds brilliant and amazes me to this day.

So if you want to know who to blame for my very unpopular choice, I'll just say it was my first Genesis album, and the times, places, and people that were part of my life in 1981/1982. Go ahead and say it: nostalgia/sentimentalism. I will conclude by saying that I consider "Dodo/Lurker" and "Me and Sarah Jane" to be among the best things the band has ever done, and that none of the extra songs from the same sessions that have appeared on various releases have ever impressed me: they picked the perfect 9 songs for a 50-minute album.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 13:59
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I am the only one to vote for "Love it - One of the best Genesis albums".

Nope, I'll join you. I wouldn't dare to say it's the best Genesis album, but since the option says "one of the best", that's enough for me too. And much for the same reasons. It is the Genesis album I listen most often to.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 14:06
I like it, but only a little. It was all downhill after Duke, but any album that contains Dodo/Lurker isn't totally irredeemable, and some of the songs were better onstage - 3 Sides Live breathes some life into them.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 17:02
The live version of Abacab is so much better than the studio one for me haha the outro is fantastic and the final crescendo live is my favourite part
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 02:23
I like it but it's not one of their best- it's good
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 22:57
I like it. Last good album Genesis made. Doesn't come close to their 70s classic albums, but I gave it a good listen back in the day. Liked the title track first time I heard it and I am quite fond of Keep it Dark and Dodo/Lurker.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 02:15
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I like it, but only a little. It was all downhill after Duke, but any album that contains Dodo/Lurker isn't totally irredeemable, and some of the songs were better onstage - 3 Sides Live breathes some life into them.

I agree with you completely; 3SL took the best bits and made them sound as good as was possible, but I'm no fan of any of the shorter, poppier works and don't have Abacab in my collection (I stopped at Duke).
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 02:52
^ I also stopped at Duke but I did get Three Sides Live, which I still think is great!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 03:28
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

^ I also stopped at Duke but I did get Three Sides Live, which I still think is great!

3SL certainly does justice to the Duke/ Abacab material it covers. I have similar feelings about Abacab as I do about MO's Crises... I quite enjoy side 1 occasionally despite the brash 80's sound, but find side 2 unplayable.. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 08:47
Having absolutely hated it when it was first released ( the end of prog omg) I recently decided to get the deluxe remastered edition. It's just a real pain of an album to sum up. Possibly their most daring release as there is simply no other reference point for it I can think of. Who were they copying or being influenced by at the time?! Not obvious to me at all. Abacab, Dodo/Lurker and Keep It Dark are fantastic tracks imo. Much of the rest I care a little less for but then there are only 3 tracks on SEBTP that I really care for. As said we have to hate it because it was a watershed moment when prog in its original form was perhaps coming to an end. You have to fight the 'bad nostalgia' of the moment to even give it a chance. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 09:15
Well, why do so many people say this was the beginning of their pop era and not Duke? Abacab has the title track and Dodo and Lurker on it? Duke has the Duke's Travel's end and Duchess but what else on Duke is really full on prog? To me they are both equally split between prog and pop. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 10:22
I like it but only a little - It's ok or meh
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 13:35
3SL was particularly good in its 4SL version
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2023 at 17:23
Tony Banks, on Abacab:

"On that particular record, we were trying to get away from what was, at that point, traditionally Genesis, which was quite flowery and fantasy, and to go to something that was much more stark and abstract. That's why we went for an abstract art painting on the front, and gave it this abstract title, Abacab, so that it didn't conjure up any particular emotion at all. We started with a kind of blank canvas. It worked well as both a song and an album title, I think."

The whole interview:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>