Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsystem of a down? Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 06:34
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

1. I didn't realise there was an etiquette for expressing one's opinion?  Is there a list of words I can use or perhaps phrases I can choose from.  Perhaps all posts should be vetted to ensure the opinion is not going to disgruntle someone or to ensure it conforms to everyone else's.

Just be polite. In a normal conversation with people whom you respect and of whom you know that they like SOAD, you wouldn't use those words ...

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

2. it's not ignorant to say they are a bag of steaming sh1te.  I've listened to a lot of their music and I am happy to say that it is a bag of steaming sh1te.

Say anything you want ... in return I say that you know as much about music as a pineapple. Freedom of speech, you said it yourself.

3. I called you an idiot in reference to your childish comments to ignore my posts, not in reference to SOAD.  where in my previous post where I called SOAD a bag of steaming sh1te did I say that you or anyone else is an idiot?  If you are so hyper-sensitive that you take an opinion about a band as personal attack, then you need to re-assess visting forums for discussion on music.

Why are you so hypersensitive about me ignoring you? Why should you even bother? I mean, I like SOAD, so my opinions shouldn't mean much to you anyway ...

By the way, we don't live in a fascist state.  We have the freedom to express our opinions in anyway we like.  Calling them a bag of steaming sh1te is hardly directing my dislike of their music at anyone; I'm saying that I don't like their music, not the people who listen to their music - which is what we are discussing here.

Again: Feel free to say anything ... even if it makes other people laugh at you, you're still free to say it.

[/QUOTE]

1. I was being ironic. 

2. I don't care whether I am ignored or not.  just deciding to post that you are going to ignore people (not just me) is ridiculous and utterly childish.  You need to go home, give your mummy a cuddle and have a good cry.  if you're lucky she might give you a lolly!

Anyway, how can you make a judgment on someone's musical knowledge based on a couple of posts on a forum.  If someone disgrees with you or posts in a way that you don't like you take offence, what is the deal with that?!  Like I said, you are a f***ing idiot.

"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 06:47

2. I don't care whether I am ignored or not.  just deciding to post that you are going to ignore people (not just me) is ridiculous and utterly childish.  You need to go home, give your mummy a cuddle and have a good cry.  if you're lucky she might give you a lolly!

Now which one of us doesn't recognize irony ...

Anyway, how can you make a judgment on someone's musical knowledge based on a couple of posts on a forum.  If someone disgrees with you or posts in a way that you don't like you take offence, what is the deal with that?!  Like I said, you are a f***ing idiot.

If someone says that David Gilmour can't play the guitar, Christina Aguilera can't sing or SOAD are bad musicians, I don't need to know anything else. That person disqualifies his/herself. That person is an idiot. Fact, not opinion.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 06:49

If someone disgrees with you or posts in a way that you don't like you take offence, what is the deal with that?!  Like I said, you are a f***ing idiot.

I didn't take offence ... I'm not even taking offence from you calling me a f**king idiot.

I'm just laughing about you ... and you seem to take offence. Just ignore me ...

spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 07:07

SOAD aren't bad musicians, their songs are just sh1te. IMO

I don't have the ego to take offence over these sorts of things.

Let's end this discussion and to agree to disagree.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 07:13

No problem. That huge IMO even removed you from my ignore list.

spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 07:19

No problem. That huge IMO even removed you from my ignore list.

Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 18:11

Originally posted by Borealis Borealis wrote:

The problem is people who like prog think everything they like is prog, or do not want to like things other than prog, so they try to make everything they like to fit in the prog genre. Tou can like music other than prog, it's quiet possible...

I herd a song from system of a down the other day, it was called BOYB, or well, it was 4 capitalized letters, and let me tell you it was pure metal bullsh*t, nothing even close to prog.

I don't get it ... in the first paragraph you try to describe that it's possible to like other things than prog. So far, so good ... but in the second paragraph, you go completely over the top and call SOAD bullsh*t. You can't get much more stupid and ignorant than that ...

People, you're making a fool of yourself when you bash bands from other genres which are - objectively - very good at what they're doing. Fell free to say anything you want, but don't complain about other people not taking you seriously after such statements.

So congratulations Borealis, you're the first on my ignore list. ...

Your ignore list? Should I take it as an honour?

Well, if you look at my second statement, I said SoaD is bullsh*t, but that's subjective. I could have said 'I think in my personal opinion that they are sh*t', but that would have been rather long. I also was kind of shocked to see people saying that kind of music is 'prog', and so making it in the same genre as Genesis, Supertram, Can or Dream Theater. You says I can't be more stupid and ignorent than that, well first, thanks a lot . Then second, just a question, do you hate a band? Is it stupid to hate a band? Is it ignorent to hate a band, especially when it's some pop music and were being on a progressive rock forum and not a pop-metal forum?

I hate system of a down because they make melodic-less pop music for 13 year old angry boys and try to make them think it is pop by making it metal, IN MY OPINION.

Vive le Québec libre!...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 18:16

I hate system of a down because they make melodic-less pop music for 13 year old angry boys and try to make them think it is pop by making it metal, IN MY OPINION.

I don't have a problem when you say that you don't like them. But I like them, and if I read your sentence correctly, you implicitly call me an 13 year old angry boy. I don't like that.

Both of you (Borealis and spectral) just go over the top in expressing your anger towards these bands. Tell me what bands you like, and I'll post some theories about how old fans of these bands usually are, and that they're idiots because they listen to such bullsh*te ... great fun, isn't it?

Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 19:22

Well, That's what I feel the aim of their music is. I saw their videoclip, and you know, and that's probably what the music industry want, but I won't start talking about the music industry, or I'll get mad...

Anyway, sorry if I insulted you, that wasn't my intention.

Vive le Québec libre!...
Third Eye View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 20:18
One thing for sure: They are far more progressive than Rhapsody, Asia or GTR!!!
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 04:50
Don't try and subvert the naughty words filter!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 04:57

Well, That's what I feel the aim of their music is. I saw their videoclip, and you know, and that's probably what the music industry want, but I won't start talking about the music industry, or I'll get mad...

I doubt that 13 years old kids understand the SOAD lyrics. Anyway, SOAD are not the only band that is forced to make video clips of their songs ... if Yes or Genesis published their masterpieces today, I'm sure that they'd also have to make some pretty cheesy videos.

richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 12:16
Originally posted by Retroventuremod Retroventuremod wrote:

although not overly a SOAD fan ( i do really like aerials)

I am sort of surprised at the lack of them being on this site, coz they
are somewhat proggish, they have a lot of changes in the middle of
songs from quiet to loud, to fast to slow etc. 
what do you think?

PS one of my friends is really into them and i keep trying to tell him they are somewhat prog (he hates prog)

the reasons you state aren't particularly good im afraid, but i do agree that they are fairly proggressive, but probably not enough to warrant a place on this site.
Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 17:15

I doubt that 13 years old kids understand the SOAD lyrics. Anyway, SOAD are not the only band that is forced to make video clips of their songs ... if Yes or Genesis published their masterpieces today, I'm sure that they'd also have to make some pretty cheesy videos.

My cock is bigger than yours...

Vive le Québec libre!...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 17:18

Feel free to post pictures to prove your point.

Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 17:37

Feel free to post pictures to prove your point.

I would, but I got no digital camera... too bad

Vive le Québec libre!...
frinspar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 17:52
No, see, the correct response is: I don't have a wide angle lens.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 18:10

Originally posted by frinspar frinspar wrote:

No, see, the correct response is: I don't have a wide angle lens.

Make that a weather satellite in high orbit.

"Is that Italy or are you just happy to see me"

Borealis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 10:16

^

Vive le Québec libre!...
xhamasaki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 15:58
I think they're prog metal, but their songs arent long enough or... complicated enough? (Their songs can be pretty complicated) They need to make a cd thats longer than 45 minutes and I'm sure they'll end up on the website eventually. Their music is not generic metal, if you think so, you probably never liked metal in the first place.  I used to hate them because I heard they were nu-metal.  But I am going to the mars volta concert where SOAD will be there too- and I bought mezmerize, and I really like it.  All the music is incredibly tight, theres no wasted space or anything, and the messages they portray in the album are very relevant to our lives today.  I don't see why theres so much hate towards them, they're pretty good and extremely creative compared to 90% of the modern bands out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>