Topic ClosedNews from Nick Barrett

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: News from Nick Barrett
    Posted: June 29 2007 at 02:18
I took this from the Pedragon forum..."Nick's ramblings and news" section... posted this morning...

Well as you can see there are more Pendragon gigs now confirmed. My oh my it's getting busy! Riffs Christmas gig should be a blast , see if we
can tempt a few Barneys and Julians back for a song or two. [yes, I noticed you asked about them Nicola C!]

We've been getting some excellent reviews of Past And Present, although sales have been a bit slow, not terrible just a bit slower than we'd hoped for.
Neo is also going well too, although some reviewers just don't get it. Twits. They think it's absurd that we are a 'cover's band' covering our own music....duuuhh... oh please.......

I don't do gardening...

One bit o' juicy news is that the new album has the working title of "Pure".

It's about children growing up and how they start out all innocent and then turn into screaming abdabs, and the various paths that they go down with some having it sooooo easy and others struggling just to survive....weird world eh?

Classic Rock Mag recently have done a Prog Rock Special issue with a whole magazine dedicated to Progressive rock, it's all very positive. And Pendragon have about half a page in there, so go check it out!

Classic Rock wondrous interview
I just did an interview wiv dose intrepid boys from de North....actually it was a guy who lives in Gloucester, should be an interview out soon in Wondrous stories....I hope to God they don't print it fun-etic-uly like they usually do...I was finkin'...er..cough cough..sigh..um, de new album er...yeah..it's gud

Fish airplays
The great man playeth our stuff on Planet Rock, ...and was more than complimentary about Believe which is well good! Look forward to seeing Fish next month at Reichenbach and Loreley...should be good....real good! Jethro Tull as well.

I had a writing burst a few weeks ago and am heading straight into one of the next albums new epics, lots of modern feels but also some very old too, that is the 'brief' for this album...I am trying to make a progressive rock album that is both progressive and..... progressive, with some highly modern sounds but done in the old crusty way! Well, gotta take a few chances....spot the Trance keyboard lead in a new song called Indigo...maybe I can get some bits up on this 'ere website soon!

New album coming on well...

Bit of a drag as I gotta stay off the motocross bikes this summer...don't want any broken arms for the festivals do we? Arrrggghhhhhhhh....... I need my adrenaline fix...now where's that jigsaw puzzle?

The Quantocks, where we used to ride our motorbikes..till the Nerc Bill stopped our fun! Ah well.......horse riding maybe???

BTW, we've changed places with the Flower Kings at the Symforce festival, cos they couldn't get flights back to Sweden or something , so we're on earlier...not a bad thing, 7 hours of prog is a hard days night!

OK, look forward to seeing yuz over the Summer! And please, NO silly string at this years Christmas gig at Riff's [hee, hee,......now let's see... tum te tum..Google...Acme Industrial Comedy strings...ah yes!]

Love

N

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 09:12
Gets me worried hearing Nick talking about sluggish sales lately. I'm hoping a band like Pendragon can weather this storm.

I did my part...got Past and Present and plan on watching it tonight.

E
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 12:54

A few thoughts:

1) I will definitely but the album from the band so they get more of the cash directly (God knows they need it)

2) I hope the cover doesn't have a naked dude on it so I can get a shirt that won't make me seem insecure with a naked dude's bum for all to see.Wink

3) It's gonna freakin' rock! I just hope nick continues with the direction Believe brought instead of reverting back to something like The Masquerade Overture (as much as I like it) and Not of this World (too "thick" a sound, IMO).

Big%20smile

Edited by stonebeard - July 04 2007 at 12:55
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 12:58

I doubt there will be a naked dude on the next cover......although there is nothing wrong with a naked body! You should have seen the bums we rejected before we chose that one! (I'll see if we can get 'em on the website!)

Edited by prog-chick - July 04 2007 at 13:19
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 12:58
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

A few thoughts:

1) I will definitely but the album from the band so they get more of the cash directly (God knows they need it)

2) I hope the cover doesn't have a naked dude on it so I can get a shirt that won't make me seem insecure with a naked dude's bum for all to see.Wink

3) It's gonna freakin' rock! I just hope nick continues with the direction Believe brought instead of reverting back to something like The Masquerade Overture (as much as I like it) and Not of this World (too "thick" a sound, IMO).

Big%20smile

I thought Believe was amazing! I agree and hope he maintains that direction, as well.

Listened to Not Of This World the other day. I know you don't like it, Stone; but, it's probably my favorite behind Masquerade.

E
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:03
Yeah I think NOTW is an either love or hate album, I can remember first hearing it, it moved me SO much....... and thankfully it still does, which is great! Some albums lose that power after a while, and I do hear it a lot, but it still gets me!

R x
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:04
I like The World a lot. It's probably my 3rd favorite behine TMO and Believe. Wink
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:08
If I absoloutely had to pick three, then (in no particular order) it would be ..
Believe, NOTW and WOL

But it depends on my mood, Kowtow and The Jewel are SO nostalgic for me, they remind me of being 16 and all that that entailed......
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:12

A few thoughts:

Big%20smile

Totally agree with you on the 3rd point, Stonebeard. I too think they should carry on in a similar, more diverse vein as they did on 'Believe' rather than reverting to type (Incidentally, over on Progressive Ears last week there was a lot of praise for 'Believe'). I think 'The Masquerade Overture' was a masterpiece but 'Not Of This World' was a bit formulaic, imho of course. However, it's hardly a bad album.

As for my top 3, 'The Masquerade Overture', 'Believe' and 'The Window Of Life'.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:20
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

Yeah I think NOTW is an either love or hate album, I can remember first hearing it, it moved me SO much....... and thankfully it still does, which is great! Some albums lose that power after a while, and I do hear it a lot, but it still gets me!

R x

I remember buying it while visiting Milwaukee and learning about this record store that specializes in prog. I bought several that day, but Not Of This World was the first one that I put in the player and I enjoyed it immediately. The melodies are amazing, which is a big reason why I like Pendragon's music so much.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 13:23
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

R x

I remember buying it while visiting Milwaukee and learning about this record store that specializes in prog. I bought several that day, but Not Of This World was the first one that I put in the player and I enjoyed it immediately. The melodies are amazing, which is a big reason why I like Pendragon's music so much.

E

Yeah, that guitar riff that kicks off "No Place For The Innocent" told me that this was going to be a different Pendragon disc. As for the naked dude, Rush sort of got me used to that during their early period. Rather see a nude Jessica Alba swan diving on the next Pendragon disc, but either way it won't detract from the great prog.

E
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 03:12
Nick has posted new news on the Pendies site http://www.pendragon.mu/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

P-C
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 09:44
Just a quickie to say since posting the above link, Nick has updated/edited the post with some interesting tid-bits if you wanna pop over and read.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 13:35
Gotta say something about the downloading:

Nick keeps saying that that downloading is like stealing, and in most cases it is. But you have to realize that many people wouldn't spend the money on a CD anyway, so there would be no money going into Nick's pocket at all, instead of it being taken out. A poor college student probably shouldn't spend $18 on a CD when they don't have to. I love Pendragon, so I will buy Pure, or whatever it's called when it's released, but don't blame the person, blame the circumstances. Some people, of course, aren't in such circumstances, so they deserve the blame, but I would never be too upset at a student with little spare money getting my CD, as long as they don't put it up on a torrent site.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 16:18
Sadly Stoney, students are probably the ones who are uploading to torrent sites. I find it quite sad that a man of Nick's talent has lost so much money - 810 illegal downloads of a Pendragon DVD! These people should fork out the money to support bands like this, otherwise they will fold up.

PS - your hyperlink seems to be pointing to the PA forums p-c. I had to copy and paste it into my browser.

Edited by chopper - September 04 2007 at 16:18
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 03:32
Doh! try this
http://www.pendragon.mu/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

Whilst we understand that not ALL dowloads would be sales, there is a large majority of silently slimey gits who are now dowloading INSTEAD of buying, and to be fair I am getting sick of the "poor student" story. They should try working thier bollocks off, and still not having enough money, working their bollocks off and wondering if there is anything of any value left to sell. We have bought 2 cd's this year, I havn't stolen any though.

"Poor Students" I was a student once..I saved up for a record (actually I blew my grant on records and then ate frozen pea sandwiches for a whole term!) but theft is NO excuse.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 05:11

Frozen pea sandwiches??!!! You could at least have waited for them to thaw out!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:04
The point is, if you work hard and still can't afford the money to buy a CD, I have no problem with you downloading it (call it stealing, I don't care), because either way, the artist making the record has two options:

1) Not getting the money for the album because the person cannot afford it.

2) Not getting the money for the album because the person cannot afford it, but they at least listened to it from a download, and your fanbase is likely strengthened.

Choose your option. Either way, you're not going to get the money.

If people have the money, then the situation is irrelevant. But expecting people to work enough to support their college expenses, living necessities, and also their "new music desire," is unrealistic. If I were the musician I'd rather people like my stuff while hearing it illegally than not even knowing about it.

If Pendragon performs a concert near me, I'll fork over so much cash to see them, but like so many Euro prog bands, they don't have the fanbase or the funds. Now if everybody bought all of their stuff legally, they'd have a lot more cash and could probably make the trip to the USA, but they'd still not come where I am.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:17
When I was a poor college student and poor law student, I usually had the choice to make between eating well and having good music to listen to.  I never thought of downloading stuff that is readily available commercially, and usually took the route prog-chick took.  I bought good music and ate peanut butter and spaghetti all the time.  Never tried frozen pea sandwiches.  Sounds horrendous. 

The only time I have ever downloaded anything, is if the music was not otherwise commercially available, and chances were slim that it would ever become commercially available, such as unreleased demos and things like that.  However, even for the stuff I have downloaded, if it ever became commercially available, I would buy it commercially.  We are all poor at some point in our lives, well unless you happen to have been born rich, and we all have to make choices.  Whether or not a student would otherwise have bought the album if he/she could not download it, is irrelevant.  If you are unwilling to pay for an album, you don't have the right to have the album. 

It is especially upsetting for me when we are talking about prog bands, because these people are living on the knife's edge as it is.  I'm sure Nick isn't getting filthy rich off of Pendragon, rather he is probably struggling to keep the band alive and every person who downloads his music without paying for it is helping to bankrupt prog rock bands like his. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:26

If I were the musician I'd rather people like my stuff while hearing it illegally than not even knowing about it.

hmmmm........ how would you pay your bills?
Or would you live in magic musicians land where you don't get presented with studio bills? tax bills? food bills? gas bills?

If Pendragon performs a concert near me, I'll fork over so much cash to see them, but like so many Euro prog bands, they don't have the fanbase or the funds.

The Pendies are exploring the idea of a US tour next year, obviously they can't play in everyone's back yard, (as much as I am sure they'd love to!!!)as to lack of funds...... well, lets return to the original issue shall we???
Downloading damages all aspects of music. When folk buy the cd's a band can see where there fan base is, and tour accordingly, if it's nicked then you have little chance of seeing them, they don't know who you are, where you are, and the funds are lacking.

but they'd still not come where I am.
.......ach Stonie, don't be so defeatist!

............. where are you?

P-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>