Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Ken Hensley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Domsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 11:17
I don't understand: I thought Ken was immortal. Were we misleaded ?
RIP dear Ken. Tonight I will listen to "Sympathy" endlessly.
Domsk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Domsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 11:27
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ They are with us actually - in our hearts, in our minds, in our souls.

And in our loudspeakers, forever.
Domsk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Domsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 12:09

For me, personally, it's one of the biggest losses in the whole rock'n'roll history and in my life - it would go another way if one day a friend of mine hadn't give me a Uriah Heep album.
There are famous bands, bands who are founders of the genres (sub-genres) and bands, who created their own worlds. Uriah Heep, due to Mr Hensley, were the band, who created their own Wonderworld, for all of us. Ken will be missed till the end of my time.

Same for me: my life might have been some kind of different would I have not asked my older brother, when I was 14:  "I'd like to buy my first rock LP. Do you have any ideas ?". He replied "Try this, I have heard some good about it". That was Demons And Wizards. I will always remember The Wizard"s first notes on my pick-up. This dates back to September 1976.
Later on, in November 1976 I bought "Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble"
On December 20, 1976 I got Wonderworld
In February 1977: Firefly
April 1977: High and Mighty
May 1977: The Magician's Birthday and Salisbury
June 1977: Look at Yourself
September 1977: Return To Fantasy
October 1977 (for my 15th birthday): Sweet Freedom
November 1977: Innocent Victim
After which I had to wait until Nov 3rd, 1978 to get Fallen Angel. I stopped buying Heep albums after Raging Silence (1989), as their eighties and later outings were not my kind of stuff - although I liked Abominog, Head First and Equator.
But UH without Ken was not for me...

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 13:00
^ Thanks. I wonder how it's possible to remember when you obtained one album or another. Clap

My first "meeting" with Heep happened in 1982, it was a Soviet reissue of "Innocent Victim" LP. Then I had their albums on tapes, later on LPs and, finally, on CDs.

By the way, in my opinion "Sea of Light" '95 and "Sonic Origami" '98 are infinitelly better than everything they recorded in studio without Ken Hensley (I don't talk of live albums, which are good or excellent, because Heep play each concert like there is no tomorrow).
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Domsk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 15:21
Innocent Victim was a good starting point Big smile Cheat'n'Lie is in my Top 10. Ken was such a good songwriter.

I actually used to list all the records I bought or received as presents in a notebook, which I kept along with me for all these years - although I traveled much and relocated in about 25 different places during the course of my life. I stopped writing in my notebook around 1993.
For instance, among many others, I can see I bought Physical Graffiti in December 1977. And it reminds me this day in December was a Wednesday (no school that day) and I took my bike and ride 15 kms back and forth under the rain to get my hands on this record. My notebook is like a time travel machine. 

And I forgot to mention UH's Live 73 in September 1977 and David Byron's Take No Prisoners in October 1977 Big smile

I'll give another listen to Sea of Light and Sonic Origami Thumbs Up

This is a thing I've never known before, it's called easy livin'
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 19:29
^ Yes, still love "Innocent Victim", though my favs are "Free'n'Easy", "Illusion", "Free Me", "The Dance" and "Choices".

Western records in the USSR till the end of the 80s were available mostly on black market (too expensive). Some titles were made by licence and, if you were lucky you could buy licenced copies from Yugoslavia, East Germany, Poland or Bulgaria. Thus most of us were making tape copies. I remember that in the end of the 80s I had most of UH albums on tapes and was looking for ... "Innocent Victim", until one day a friend of mine told me "You already have it, just take it from your shelf". Soviet reissue didn't have the title on the cover and I didn't know what album I have. LOL First I had this one
Later I found a better version
It had a pretty good article about UH on the back cover.

I agree, Ken was incredible songwriter and storyteller, one of the greatest melodicists in rock. During the last almost 20 years he often visited Russia, me and my wife always tried not to miss his gigs. They were amazing - Ken was so smart, intelligent, had a good sense of humour and deepest respect to the audience. And he and the band rocked! He loved his music to be played loud. 

Once, it was in 2009, I noticed the announcement that Ken gives autograph session in one of Moscow record stores. It was before his acoustic concert called "Past, Present & Future". I asked him to sign our copies of "The Magician's Birthday" CD and "When Too Many Dreams Come True" book. When I said "Ken, your music is more than only songs for me, it's something personal...", he replied, smiling: "For me too".
A photo from that autograph session:

If interested, there are more Ken's photos in my wife's LJ (she asked Ken's permission to make photos before the concert and Ken said: no problem - photos, videos, do whatever you want).

Since the day I've listened to my first Uriah Heep LP the band became very special for me. The news of Ken's passing shocked me. A personal tragedy, really. Cry

Edited by NotAProghead - November 06 2020 at 19:37
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:08
Uriah Heep 1970-1976 - The Ken Hensley Years documentary.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 07 2020 at 06:26
Domsk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Domsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:18
@NotAProghead: nowadays it is so easy to get all the music in the world - in the 70s and the 80s I understand it was really difficult for you in the USSR to get Western recordings. So, every record you were able to get must have acquired a great importance, personally and financially. Today, so much music is produced and available, in comparison: it is almost too much

Thank you for sharing your Ken's pictures. I saw him only once live: that was in London, December 7th, 2001 (The Magician's Birthday Party). A great moment

Edited by Domsk - November 07 2020 at 06:21
This is a thing I've never known before, it's called easy livin'
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 08:04
^ Domsk, you're right, almost every record was important. Usually not financially, but to get a copy we often had to move our reel-to-reel tape recorders to friends' houses. Some friends lived in the neighbourhood, while others were in the other parts of the city.

The Magician's Birthday Party 2001 was great Thumbs Up, I have the video on DVD.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 09:06

^ Domsk, you're right, almost every record was important. Usually not financially, but to get a copy we often had to move our reel-to-reel tape recorders to friends' houses. Some friends lived in the neighbourhood, while others were in the other parts of the city.

The Magician's Birthday Party 2001 was great Thumbs Up, I have the video on DVD.
I watched The Magician's Birthday Party on YouTube last night and it was great to see Ken Hensley back with Uriah Heep again. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 09:24
^ As well as John Lawton. Smile
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 17:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12